February 19, 2010

The Weeklies #120

The Weekly Feeling. Anxious.

The Weekly Bonus Feeling. Overwhelmed.

The Weekly Beer. Copper Hook.

The Weekly Time Waster. Play old school Winter Games, Nintendo style.

The Weekly Music. I don't get Vampire Weekend. That makes me feel very old and unhip but I don't quite get them. I picked up Contra this week and gave it a spin. The first question? What am I listening to? You don't have to fit into a genre, as a matter of fact, it's boring if you do. But I'm not sure I understand exactly the sound they were going for. Post-punk indie-emo latino reggae? Who knows. That's not to say the album is bad. In fact, it's decent. I think I've learned, though, that I'm not a huge post-punk indie-emo latino-reggae fan.

The Weekly Book. What? The lengthy post on Catcher In The Rye wasn't enough for you? Well, it was enough for me.

The Weekly Best Word That Isn't Really A Word. An Olympic commentator, while discussing snowboard cross called it snowbocross which I think sounds really cool.

The Weekly Best Band Name. Garbanzo Bean Refraction

The Weekly Schadenfreude. I'm thoroughly terrified to mention any examples of schadenfreude because a) there are so many and b) I always manage to miss one. Like last week when I totally blanked on Sarah Palin writing notes to herself on her hand. Tiger's doing his mea culpa, Charlie Sheen's wife is in rehab, we've still got feet of snow on the ground, the governor of Texas is suing the government over the fact that to him global warming is a mythical issue, and Pamela Anderson just went parading around wearing what looked to me like a sequined slingshot. And then John Mayer has a white supremacist penis and you think that the world has finally spun off its axis. Too. Much. Schadenfreude. What did I leave out?

The Weekly Hypothetical. You have a choice - you can live in guaranteed comfort (the basics taken care of - food, necessities, money) for the rest of your life, you need not worry about day-to-day struggle. But if you do that, you can't ever have sex again. Do you choose sex or the comfortable life?

Posted by Chris at February 19, 2010 7:23 AM
Comments

Honey, at this point in my life, I'd take the guaranteed comfort!
BTW, when I was in a snow covered parking lot and I called AAA because my battery was dead, I wrote my reference number on my hand! I had no paper in my pocket book. So, does that make me like SP? (Granted, the dead battery incident wasn't my finest moment!)

Posted by: Maribeth at February 19, 2010 7:29 AM

Oh the life of ease definately, for me that is a no brainer. I imagine you will get such different answers to this hypothetical question depending on gender. I also think to women that a life of ease is MUCH more important than sex. I will be watching and reading to see if I am right.
Here in Indiana we are sick of snow by now and we haven't gotten the extremes you have there. Hanging head in shame here :) Come on Spring!!

Posted by: Trish V at February 19, 2010 8:56 AM

I'm happy to say I've had my share of great sex so sign me up for a comfortable sex free life!

Snow, why even mention snow, they are already hyping up a "BIG" storm for this coming tuesday, like they say if you hate the weather in CT wait five minutes it'll change.

Hey hows the kitchen renovation coming along?

Posted by: Tailynn at February 19, 2010 9:12 AM

I'll be the first woman to choose sex, then, much to my own surprise. Maybe I took the question the wrong way, but I can always work for the necessities -- I'd rather not have them handed to me if it means giving up the good stuff.

I hope next week is less anxiety-ridden for you.

Posted by: Julie at February 19, 2010 9:13 AM

I'm with Julie, I'll take sex, thankyouverymuch. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a life of ease, but I think I would prefer to have earned it. Also, depend on how scrupulous one is, you can always parlay sex into a life of ease and comfort. I'm thinking sugar-daddy, not prostitution.

Posted by: varinia at February 19, 2010 9:18 AM

Maybe it's time to switch over to "freudenschade" -- see http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2010/02/schadenfreudian-analysis.html

Posted by: Karen at February 19, 2010 9:27 AM

Wait. Sex with another person?

Um, I'm still thinking i lean towards comfort though. But it totally depends on the answer to that qualifying question.

Posted by: Sarah at February 19, 2010 9:38 AM

Considering I haven't had sex in like FOREVER and I'm still relatively sane, I guess I'd go with the first. I mean, there's always loving yourself, right?

Posted by: k8 at February 19, 2010 9:47 AM

On the Vampire Weekend tip - I think their first album is one of my top five favorite complete albums ever...and though I like Contra, it just didn't quite do it for me all the way around. The sound is different than the first. However "Run" gets better every time you listen to it. Yet, I'm tired of hearing how heavily influenced by Paul Simon's Graceland this album is. Delurking for Vampire Weekend! -Jil

Posted by: Jil at February 19, 2010 10:16 AM

I would definitely choose sex.

Posted by: Adi at February 19, 2010 10:29 AM

Well, that depends on whether the sex is any good. Frankly, I'm a bigger fan of comfort than sex, so I'd have to go with the former.

Posted by: Brooke at February 19, 2010 11:47 AM

I'm not giving up sex, it's such a basic enjoyment and too good of a thing to give up.

Posted by: diane at February 19, 2010 12:34 PM

Guaranteed comfort any day! Sex -even when it's good- is overrated. Have a good weekend.

Posted by: dasiana at February 19, 2010 2:53 PM

Sex for me too, please. Life has been hard before, and I can get through it. Besides, I haven't been married long enough to give up sex (just a mere 2 1/2 years), thankyouverymuch.

Posted by: Kelly at February 19, 2010 3:05 PM

Sex IS a basic comfort. Was that a trick question?

Posted by: Er at February 19, 2010 3:30 PM

I totally had you pegged for a post-punk indie-emo latino-reggae fan. I like the sounds well enough but not enough to just say "I really really really want to listen to Vampire Weekend." I just get the feeling it's too cool for me -- and I don't want that in music. Arcade Fire... see they are WAY too cool for me and I know. Vampire Weekend just kind of ... well... pretentious? dunno.

Definitely not given up sex...

Posted by: Nat at February 19, 2010 4:42 PM

A life without sex is not a comfortable life. There is no way I could give it up. None. I swear to you, the thought of giving up sex is kinda making me panic right now and contemplating calling my boy to tell him to hurry home!

Posted by: Jess at February 19, 2010 5:09 PM

Comfortable life. Jacking off (jilling off?) is free and my vibrator loves me unconditionally.

Or something.

Posted by: Melissa at February 19, 2010 10:35 PM

Mmm! Garbanzo beans! Well, hummus anyway. :) Now I need to go to the store. Thanks Chris. hehe

Posted by: Debra at February 19, 2010 10:58 PM

Sex please. LOL.

Posted by: Jen at February 20, 2010 12:25 PM

I'm actually a little surprised how few comments have showed up so far - I guess people don't really want to think about it ;) I was interested to see what people chose!

Posted by: Heather at February 20, 2010 8:55 PM

bow chicka wow wow.

Posted by: kami at February 20, 2010 11:03 PM

As long as I can have LOVE I'm cool with the cushy life.... Love can be shown in many many many ways....

Posted by: Rose at February 20, 2010 11:28 PM

Sex.

Posted by: alektra at February 21, 2010 1:16 AM

I don't understand Vampire Weekend either, and I'm probably supposed to be cool enough to "get" them.

Posted by: Stephanie at February 21, 2010 9:46 AM

Comfortable life! Is there a place I can actually sign up for this? Would reduce much tension on the marriage front.

Posted by: Laura at February 22, 2010 1:45 PM

Define sex. Because if we are using the Bill Clinton dictionary ....we that leaves a LOT of room for interpretation.

Posted by: Tracey at February 22, 2010 3:49 PM

Sex, I choose sex. I have (and pretty much have had) a life of above-average comfort, but lord knows the last time I had the other, so of course I choose it.

Posted by: Megan at February 22, 2010 4:13 PM

Set your own life more simple get the credit loans and all you want.

Posted by: PhelpsPearlie25 at September 14, 2010 3:13 PM