February 4, 2010

There's An App For That

Before I had my iPhone I used my cell phone for calls (though I tend to try and avoid talking on the phone, ironic I know), checking my email and texting. I've had my iPhone for three months and I've somehow found - literally - 99 uses for it. Here's what's on my phone:

apps%20copy.jpg

News. CNN pretty much rocks the news app but running a close second is NPR's contribution. The news headlines themselves aren't anything special but the ability to click a button and hear the latest newscast is pretty nice. Time is okay but I'm strangely addicted to the Huffington Post, especially when their pictures fail to match their stories so it looks like John Kerry wrote a story about Britney Spears' side-boob. TUAW, Switched and Engadget keep me up to speed technologically speaking.

Shopping. I love the Amazon app. You can search the entire store but it's browsing function isn't that hot. Rather, it's non-existent. Target is okay but nothing special. The Starbucks app lets me find the closest cup of coffee while the Starbucks Mobile Card let's me shell out $4.00 for a venti white chocolate mocha (extortion!). I can scan bar codes and fine competitive prices with Red Laser or, better yet, snap a picture of any product's label and get information using SnapTell. Buy4Equity lets me see what products are made equitably while GoodGuide helps me find evil products to avoid.

Food. I use Urbanspoon to find good local restaurants and OpenTable to make the reservations. YumYum sends some decent vegetarian recipes my way and iVegetarian points me to local veggie restaurants.

Books. I never thought I'd be comfortable reading books on a cell phone but the Kindle app makes it easy and incredibly convenient, especially on those nights I'm up at 3:00 in the morning with a crabby kid. IndieBound hips me to books I'd probably never otherwise run across.

Music. Guitar Tuner lets me tune my guitar while GuitarChords keeps me honest when it comes to finding the right chords. See, I don't remember chords for the life of me. I have a couple keyboards (Virtuoso and NLog) and annoy people everywhere with my virtual drum sets (Drum Meister and DigiDrummer). And when I don't recognize a song - on the radio, in the store, on TV - I open up Shazam and magically it tells me what I'm listening to.

Photography. The iPhone camera isn't the greatest but there are lots of handy apps to make the pictures you take better. Or at least more fun. Photoshop is a great app and much more intuitive than its computer-based cousin. PanoLab allows you to stitch photos together to make panoramic shots. Mill Colour provides some basic editing and recoloring tools while QuadCamera takes up to four shots in a quick burst.

Games. I'm now thoroughly addicted to Toobz. And UnblockMe is still at the top of my rather extensive how to absolutely kill time list. I promise you that Peekaboo Barn and Peekaboo Wild are for the kids. Sadly I can't say the same about Mr. Ahhh which is stupid yet strangely compelling and to which both Mia and I are addicted.

So that's my phone. And after writing about it for a few minutes, I think it's pretty odd that the thing I use my phone for the least is, well, phoning.

Is your phone a constant companion or something you just tolerate having? Or both? Do you use your phone for more than calls?

Posted by Chris at February 4, 2010 6:32 AM
Comments

My phone will do nothing but act as a phone which is fine with me. I had coffee with a friend yesterday who had just bought an iphone. She spent most of the time trying to show me how it worked while trying to figure it out herself.

My son, however, loves his. I think the two of you are about the same age so it may be a generational thing. I freely admit to being a dinosaur. On the other hand, my cell costs $15/month to run. I don't even want to think about what my friend pays for hers.

Posted by: ann adams at February 4, 2010 7:05 AM

Wow. Which model do you have? I find I run out of space. But I have lots of music b/c I use mine as my iPod too.

Posted by: Jodi at February 4, 2010 7:27 AM

I go through spurts of using the phone as a phone and then for other stuff. I just finally had my data plan turned back on recently. I haven't installed a ton of apps on it yet, but I may get there. I have an HTC TouchPro2 which is the closest thing that Verizon has to the iPhone at the moment. It's not a bad phone.
I think it's amazing how far technology has come. I remember being a kid and the computer weighed a ton, had a black screen with green words (DOS) and dot matrix printers....

Posted by: Rose at February 4, 2010 7:45 AM

I'll be keeping this post close so I can check out everything you have on your IPhone. The last time you had people post their favorite Apps I wrote a bunch down and put them on mine.
I adore my IPhone. It is so handy and full of information. And so friggin' easy to use!! My husband with his Blackberry is always complaining about how confusing it is and is amazed how I just push a CLEARLY MARKED BUTTON for something or another.
That's why when our PC died, we bought a Mac. Simplicity at it's finest.

Posted by: NancyJ at February 4, 2010 7:54 AM

I mostly just use my cell for calls. In general my phone stays in my coat pocket. I rarely text and don't use it for any fancy applications, but my phone is very basic. Maybe if I had a phone that could do all sorts of tricks I would use it more, but for now it is simply a phone. Sometimes when people text me I don't see the message until the next day when I look at it to check the battery status. Also, my phone doesn't work where I am employed. I am out in the sticks of WV for most of the day and there just isn't service there.

My husband, who is 33 got his very first cell phone ever this past December. All he knew about the phone was how to answer a call and how to disconnect. It took him a couple of weeks and a few interupted classes (he teaches) to figure out that he could in fact turn the phone off. Poor guy. He is learning, though and I am very proud of him for entering this brave new world of technology.

Posted by: Ashley K at February 4, 2010 7:55 AM

i frustrate everyone close to me by having a phone that i rarely bring with me, anywhere, and one that doesn't have an answering service. if it isn't charged i go old school on our babysitter and the leave her a phone number of where i'm at.

Posted by: meanie at February 4, 2010 8:18 AM

I have always had an ipod in some way so I decided I'd stick with my normal phone and get the new Touch. SO, I benefit from the apps and wherever there's free wireless. My phone is usually just calls and texts and I don't like to talk on the on it that much either. BTW, Mood Pad and Scribble are great apps for keeping kids busy ;)

Posted by: Claire at February 4, 2010 8:31 AM

I got my iPhone in July, and I can't go three feet without it! You should try Pixster; it posts a picture straight to your Facebook feed, with or without a comment. Handy if you're out and snap something you can't wait to pass on. I'm also addicted to Craigslist and BeatThisPrice, which saved me a LOT at Christmas. I love Movie Genie, the IMDB app. And having small kids, the new one Point Inside is handy; it has listings from all the malls in your area (yes, it has Tysons, Fairfax, Springfield, etc ), and you can search by, for example, nearest restroom. How does anyone live without one?

Posted by: Violet at February 4, 2010 8:37 AM

My phone is with me all the time. Not because I love talking on the phone (because I do NOT), but because our apartment building elevators and doors operate on a scan card, and I have a mini card hanging off of my phone so I need that phone to get in and out of my building! Please, here in Korea we text a lot. Its just more convenient especially when all of your friends are moms and you dont want to interupt naps etc.

I am on the waiting list to get an iTouch from Sears.com. Its been out of stock since December!!! (Have to buy it thru Sears, have a gift card). I can not WAIT for it to get here!

Posted by: alfredsmom at February 4, 2010 9:08 AM

All you need now is one of those Toyotas that drives by itself and you can play with the phone wherever you go.

Posted by: Marshall Karp at February 4, 2010 9:15 AM

I have an entry-level smartphone in the Palm Centro and I use it for phoning, texting, twitter, Facebook, taking notes, reminders, email (limited) and google maps. Really, it has everything I need but it was free and costs me only $30 a month. I LOVE the iPhone but I'm simply too cheap to justify the monthly cost.

Posted by: Brad at February 4, 2010 9:18 AM

I only have the 3g 8gig iPhone so i feel like i'm slowing it down when i start throwing too many apps on there. plus i'm cheap so i only get free ones (so far, anyway). i don't do games really, i just find the useful things. mobile banking, mobile wordpress, netflix, photoshop, shakeit, twitter. that's about it. after reading this post though i think i'll be hitting "INSTALL" quite a few times today.

Posted by: bri at February 4, 2010 9:39 AM

Ha! I always get a kick out of it when I find out someone else I don't expect listens to KATG.

Posted by: Jaime at February 4, 2010 9:47 AM

Oh like I didn't want one badly enough already ;) I've been able to hold off because I've got an HTC touch which does some of the more important things, like email and calendar (which by a program I bought syncs with iCal) and it does have a web browser as well, though not full and awesome like the iPhone. I also have an iPod touch that I got for free when my mom got a new laptop, so that tides me over a little ;)
In June, I'll have a $200 upgrade credit on my cel phone account, so I'll probably get one then.

Posted by: Heather at February 4, 2010 10:03 AM

I hardly oven use my cell phone for making or taking calls. I usually don't even carry it with me on a daily basis. I'm not a fan of the leash. I'm unleashed, as it were.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at February 4, 2010 10:10 AM

Try Gorillacam. It's a free too! I just learned of it yesterday from another iPhoner. I love it. It offers zoom lens and other camera options. GREAT, GREAT app!

Posted by: adora at February 4, 2010 10:45 AM

I have a blackberry, only had it for a few months. I love it. I love the email, the internet, etc. Getting to mmy favorite blogs on a daily basis, etc.

Although, I do use it as a phone a lot. Ironic, this is the question becuase I was late and rushing and left the phone on the bed.

The kids said why don't we go back and get it? My response was I can live without it for a day. "When I was your age we didn't evenn have cell phones, the didn't come out to the public until I was an adult" to which they responded with the all time classic--"Man you're old mom!"

Posted by: debb at February 4, 2010 11:03 AM

Marshall Karp cracks me up.

Posted by: Pat at February 4, 2010 11:06 AM

Awww and I remember a few scant months ago when you were asking us what you should get. Now look at you, all grown up with apps of your own. It brings a tear to my eye.

And by the way...you have on app update pending, two facebook notifications, and DUDE CHECK YOUR MAIL. Sheesh, how can you sleep at night with all that unfinished business.

Posted by: Candy at February 4, 2010 11:10 AM

I have an LG Dare, and I wish I'd just stayed with my flip phone when my contract last expired. I use it for phone and texting; I like the virtual keyboard; I'm proficient. But my main objective is phone. Internet with the LG...I can actually hear Verizon going "Cha-ching!" while I'm waiting for their lame version to start up. My contract is up again this fall, and if iPhone hasn't hit Verizon by then, I'll probably downgrade to a flip. I have an iPod Touch that I use as my laptop most evenings and weekends when I don't want to start up the MacBook.

I want an iPhone, but I'm not willing to leave Verizon over it. I'm also not willing to try and approximate it. I'll deal with phone-only until iPhone becomes feasible.

Posted by: Brooke at February 4, 2010 11:37 AM

I have a T-Mobile G1... It is practically an appendage. I do not talk on it much, but have had to get an extra battery because it is pretty much in use all damned day. Come to think of it, my laptop has not been powered up for weeks now.

In recent months, I have lost just about everything. I had to fight to keep my phone. LOL. Just.can't.go.without.

*sad*

Posted by: jen at February 4, 2010 11:43 AM

And I am just NOW getting Marshall's comment. HAH!
Yeah. Ima little slow sometimes.

Posted by: jen at February 4, 2010 11:46 AM

I love it when people post their app screens. I'm all "oooh, what's that one for - off to the App Store I go". Love it.

Posted by: Kevin Spencer at February 4, 2010 11:53 AM

Iphone here too. Hubby is the apps man. I rarely even browse what is available. I notice the new apps and have to ask what so and so does. Love the phone, do just about everything with it, but I haven't tried any mobile apps.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at February 4, 2010 12:35 PM

I have an old fashioned cell phone. I can call, text, and send pictures and videos. But.....that's all I do. I could hook up to the Internet, but I don't want all the charges.

Posted by: Maribeth at February 4, 2010 1:46 PM

Here is my show n tell:

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at February 4, 2010 4:52 PM

You have 40 emails?? Wow, you're popular!

My iPhone is my constant companion, much to my husband's chagrin. I use it for calls, texting, Facebook, Googling everything under the sun, playing games, etc.

Just got the Photshop app, and now I'm off to get Gorillacam.

Posted by: Suzy Voices at February 4, 2010 5:27 PM

I second Violet's love of Point Inside. It's saved many a mommy meltdown for me in finding a restroom for the little ones and a giant Frappucino for me!

Posted by: Sarah at February 5, 2010 1:50 AM

LOVE my iPhone. I do more texting, emailing, tweeting and facebook-ing on it than talking.

Parachute Panic is a fun game and I like ABC Animals for my toddler. My company uses Base Camp (37 Signals) to collaborate on projects and Insight is a great app for accessing Base Camp from your iPhone.

Posted by: Erin Oltmanns at February 5, 2010 7:22 AM

My phone is basic, but the itouch is awesome in all the ways the iPhone is, but without the bill! Your app list photo/Mia/Owen category though is missing Soundbiter, which will let you save/post sound moments and photos, since the itouch doesn't have a camera, my bites don't have photos :( but it's still cool, especiasly for grandparents and facebook!

Posted by: Celeste at February 6, 2010 10:14 PM

Get photo booth! It's cool!

Posted by: Elena @ the white picket fence at February 20, 2010 7:26 AM

If you are willing to buy a house, you would have to receive the loan. Furthermore, my sister usually takes a bank loan, which seems to be really fast.

Posted by: TerriHaynes at August 14, 2011 6:06 PM

I strictly recommend not to wait until you earn enough amount of money to buy different goods! You can get the business loans or secured loan and feel free

Posted by: loan at October 25, 2011 4:20 PM