March 11, 2010

A Confession

Internets, I have a bit of a guilty conscience and have had for some time. I think I have to come clean.

I wrote at least once last week about the hours - or lack thereof - available to me in the day. I think we all came to the collective conclusion that more hours wouldn't necessarily be a goo thing since we're all busy enough and those additional hours would only get filled up with the boring and tedious crap we need a break from.

The one thing I really didn't address in that list of stuff I talked about was blogging.

I make time to write my posts and respond to the comments that I get. Both are really important to me and things that I feel like I have to do daily. There's no gun to my head except the gun in my head that I mentally point at my head. That didn't make sense but I think you probably know what I'm trying to say. But the piece of the great blogging trifecta that's missing is reading all the awesome stuff many of you write each and every day. The simple and awful truth is that that I haven't commented on your sites in at least a month and I haven't cracked open my newsreader in just about that long. I fear this makes me a horrible person and an even worse blogger.

Reciprocation is important to me. You all take time out of your days to drop by and read and even comment on whatever I've managed to cobble together that day. And I'm concerned that you don't know what that means to me. Because it means a lot and I am extremely grateful for it.

There. That's my confession. You all hate me now, right?

Posted by Chris at March 11, 2010 6:48 AM
Comments

its enough to enjoy what you write...

Posted by: theunicorn at March 11, 2010 7:07 AM

This is egg-xactly why I egged your house last night. My chickens were NOT thrilled about their bounty being used for this purpose.

Ha, get it?! EGG-xactly!

Don't sweat it. Many of us are guilty of this. I have actually dissed my website by becoming a chronic Twitterer and my reader has a backlog of about 1000 'unreads'. People comment and while I try to reply, I do not reciprocate every time b/c frankly I don't have the time or the energy after all the egging.

Posted by: Angelica at March 11, 2010 7:20 AM

hate you? pfft, believe me, it isn't anything I haven't said myself in recent times.

Posted by: Deeleea at March 11, 2010 7:37 AM

I feel ya. I've been spending much less time on others' sites and off the feed reader too - trying to give what little free time I have to my family. Sometimes we gotta make those choices. I don't think anyone begrudges you that. Or at least I don't. It all goes in waves.

Posted by: NG at March 11, 2010 7:42 AM

Yes. Yes I do. Your life revolves around my life and I expect you to acknowledge that.

Mmk?

Posted by: Jen R. (emeraldsunshine.org) at March 11, 2010 7:45 AM

Yes, I hate you with the burning intensity of a million suns.

Pfft. Honestly, the only reason I read all the blogs I do is because I haven't got enough of a life to write about. I envy you. :)

Posted by: martin at March 11, 2010 8:52 AM

I don't really care that you don't read my blog, I don't expect you to. But if you feel guilty, let me summarize my last post: A kid in my class asked me if I was going to have a baby. This lead to a weekend of instrospection (and tears) about the direction of my life. Then I got over it.

Have a great day!

Posted by: Heather at March 11, 2010 8:55 AM

Eh. I'm not posting much to my blog. I'm using LJ and FB these days. Not sure why the switch, but there you are. And reading in a newsreader makes it easy for me to keep up with you.

Posted by: Lisa at March 11, 2010 8:58 AM

No hate here :) I read every day but I only comment when I have something to actually say :) As for my blog, I rarely post anymore. I have no clue why. lol

Posted by: NotAMeanGirl at March 11, 2010 9:06 AM

I sometimes go for days without opening my Google Reader and when I finally do and see 73 UNREAD posts I panic. I do my best to read and comment and reciprocate when and where I can. When you have as many readers as you do, no one expects you to comment on all of your readers' blogs. And the fact that you reply to each and every comment makes you better than most. So go easy on yourself - ok? (PS One suggestion: Based on your schedule, pick X number of blogs to commit to a week. Not all of the ones in your reader - but some set number you feel like you can manage. And make an effort to focus on those few blogs for the week - read, comment, enjoy. And just keep shuffling through.)

Posted by: rougeneck at March 11, 2010 9:12 AM

Nope! Don't hate ya. I'm months behind on my blog at the moment anyway.

I've been so busy lately, that I end up reading several entries at a time to catch up with you & Beth.

Posted by: Holly Reynolds at March 11, 2010 9:14 AM

Dude, you worry too much about this. Just keep on entertaining me. ;-)

Posted by: LeSombre at March 11, 2010 9:24 AM

Seriously, worry much? I don't even have a blog. I come here because I enjoy your writing and reading your view on things.

Posted by: Traci at March 11, 2010 9:32 AM

Yes, we all hate you now. /sarcasm

Posted by: S at March 11, 2010 9:36 AM

Oh Chris, with all the stuff you do, I don't assume that you have the time to worry yourself about what's happening on my blog. I come here to read. And it makes me happy to read the words you write. So keep writing.

Posted by: k8 at March 11, 2010 9:38 AM

Nope, don't hate you. In fact, I haven't wrote anything new on my blog in quite some time so I think we're even.

Posted by: Jody at March 11, 2010 10:05 AM

I haven't written anything on the blog in ages. I keep up on FaceBook and Twitter. Honestly, if your posts and a few others didn't come into my mailbox each morning, I might not do as well keeping up with you.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at March 11, 2010 10:06 AM

Yes, we absolutely hate you for loving your family more than strangers. What the hell is wrong with you?! ;)

Posted by: Arwen at March 11, 2010 10:14 AM

There are currently over 1000 unread posts in my reader. Yeah. I suck that bad. There are a few blogs (this being one) that I automatically visit, but I don't read as many as I want to.

That being said, no hate here. I LOVE when people come to my blog and I love when people leave me comments, I'm not gonna lie, but I don't hate people who don't read or don't comment. That'd be silly of me (since there could well be dozens of people in my reader hating ME for the very same reason).

Posted by: Sarah at March 11, 2010 10:18 AM

I don't even update my blog anymore. I want to but I can't ever think of anything to think about except to chronicle what I had for breakfast lol

Perhaps I should start again. Hmm. Anyway! Just wanted to let you know that you've not missed anything in my part of the world lol

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at March 11, 2010 10:21 AM

When you are lying on your death bed, "If I had only read one more blog" will not be the thought that is running through your head.

Possibly, "If I had only drank one more beer"

Probably "I knew that burrito looked iffy"...

Posted by: metawizard at March 11, 2010 10:44 AM

This is your pass to skip mine entirely. I love your blog. I'd read it if you never once ever read mine. Be with your family, and keep blogging. That's all I want from you.

Posted by: Mr Lady at March 11, 2010 10:48 AM

Aw, we're cool. Frankly, I'm surprised you even have the time to read your comments anymore. You're a busy dude.

Posted by: Fraulein N at March 11, 2010 10:58 AM

Seriously, if I posted anything of interest I'd be hurt, but I don't. Also, I lost track of responding to comments a long time ago (and I never received near the comments you do). I enjoy reading your blog, have from the beginning.

The only one that hurt, was that I only received 3 comments on my 7 year blogaversary...but since I don't write much, I guess that's to be expected.

Posted by: Krush at March 11, 2010 11:17 AM

Depending on how many feeds you're subscribed to, reading them all each day does take some amount of time. Time which I also don't always have.

The way I look at it is visit and comment whenever there's time. Or don't. Either way it's all good.

Posted by: Kevin Spencer at March 11, 2010 11:22 AM

I go in spurts. I wouldn't say that I have ever completely stopped reading all blogs — no, you're much worse a person than me there — but there are days (weeks...) when I go through my reader, read the first line of most blogs, then hit delete. There are a few people that I always read because I just enjoy them that much. But the process should be an enjoyable one. If it's become a hassle then you're doing it wrong.

Posted by: kalisa at March 11, 2010 12:06 PM

Shocking!! I am aghast, aghast I tell you!! I take back all my children's book recommendations. you may not read those books to Mia nor mention them at any time in the future.

I've always thought it's pretty amazing that you've visited at all. At some point it just gets to be too much and with the size of your readership I don't think anyone could possibly expect you to be able to read and/or comment for everyone in return. We're here because we like your writing.

And book recommendations. Did I mention that Beat The Reaper rocked? That was you, right?? I guess you can read Jeanne Birdsall to Mia after all. :)

Posted by: Jess at March 11, 2010 12:16 PM

Chris, I read your blog because I love to read it, not because I expect you to stop at mine daily and comment. It's okay. I totally understand. Recently I went to a blogger meet up and I felt horribly guilty because many of the women there read my blog ALL THE TIME and me? I hadn't even SEEN some of their blogs.

(Guilt! Guilt! Guilt!)

I am so busy too that I rarely get the opportunity to sit and read blogs, even though I'd love to. Some I read daily, some I read weekly, and some only if the title catches my eye.

Don't feel guilty. We ALL do it. (lol!)

Posted by: Scatteredmom at March 11, 2010 1:16 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I do way more reading (but not necessarily commenting) than I do writing. And I feel bad about that taking/giving imbalance in the blogosphere. So, together we totally balance out, right?

Posted by: Dawn at March 11, 2010 1:20 PM

No worries man! I personally use blogging as a way to relax and have some "ME" down time. I really enjoy it. But I also don't spend more than 30 min a day doing it. Do what you gotta do. I think ppl would understand.

Posted by: soccermom at March 11, 2010 1:32 PM

i'm all for community and connections, but if it's really a cover for tit-for-tat, that bugs me. people who don't comment b/c they don't get comments back, and the like, that kind of attitude doesn't work for me. so, do what YOU want, not what you think you "should" or whatever and keep writing!

Posted by: Wendy at March 11, 2010 3:19 PM

honestly, if you wasted time that you could be spending with your kids on reading everyone else's blogs (as nice as that would be of you to do) i would be annoyed :)

Posted by: kati at March 11, 2010 4:42 PM

dude... I'm crushed. I thought we had something good going on... and now I find out that you have just been stringing me along...just like everyone else in my life. I don't even know how I can look at you right now.

Seriously, it's all good! ;-)
Reciprocity is important. Prioritizing time with your wife, kids, and drinking beer, yea, MORE important.

Don't feel guilty. And if you do, have another beer. You'll forget about it in a minute.

Posted by: varinia at March 11, 2010 6:21 PM

oh yes- definetly hate you now. But I'll still come back and read tomorrow. ;)

Posted by: alfredsmom at March 11, 2010 8:30 PM

Chris, I enjoy your writing. I love to hear how you, Beth and the kids are doing. I enjoy the wonder you feel watching your family grow. I know you cannot comment all of the time, and that's fine. It's enough for me that I feel I can call you my blog friend!
BTW: I was elected this week as our Library Trustee! First time I have run for office since 6th grade!!!

Posted by: Maribeth at March 11, 2010 8:33 PM

My feelings aren't hurt that you don't/comment read my blog all the time because a) I rarely post anymore and b) I don't comment all that often either. lol. :) The time you take to write your posts is good enough for me! :)

Posted by: Manda at March 11, 2010 9:15 PM

your blog is a bright spot in my day. everyday. well, make that every weekday (and ESPECIALLY fridays!). thanks for taking the time to write.

Posted by: coral at March 11, 2010 9:19 PM

Nope, we still love ya. Besides, I haven't blogged hardly at all in ages :P

Posted by: Heather at March 11, 2010 9:34 PM

I'm pretty sure you've never commented on my blog, and probably never read it. But its okay, because for me, my blog is cheap therapy. I'm a terrible verbal communicator, and it lets me say whatever I wish I could have said or just lets me ramble about my day or lack of one. If nobody ever comments me or reads me, sure, it's cool when they do, but not the end of the world.

Besides, I think the coolest thing I've posted recently was photos of my boyfriend's "new" car- a '63 AMC Rambler wagon.

Posted by: Debra at March 12, 2010 5:29 AM

People in all countries take the business loans from different banks, because this is simple.

Posted by: WaltersFaith31 at August 15, 2011 2:06 AM