March 2, 2010

Dark On

As I mentioned yesterday, I've been working my ass off on any number of things which has made me overly sensitive to the fact that my kids want to hang out with me and, what with the working, haven't really been able to. Like Sunday afternoon, when I was on the phone with a colleague. When I'm on the phone, I like to be standing up so I can roam. I was on the call for about ten minutes. And Owen followed me the entire time, a maximum of two feet away from me.

Owen is in the phase in which he likes to do everything himself. Owen do it is his rallying cry and the phrase he utters most often (followed closely by apple juice! and sorry Mia). One of the things he loves doing himself is turning the lights in his room on and off, especially around bedtime. Dark on or dark off, he says, which is a pretty different way of looking at it.

Last night, after being in bed for a while, he suddenly popped up and wanted to turn the lights - that were already low to nonexistent - off. I took this as a stall tactic.

Owen: Dark on.
Me: No. It's bedtime. Lie down.
Owen: Dark on!
Me: Come on, Owen. It's time to sleep.
Owen: DARK ON!
Me: Under the covers, head on your pillow.
Owen: DARK ON!!!
Me: Okay. I'm going to leave until you can calm down.

And that's exactly what I did. I left and he howled and then he got very quiet which concerns me because that usually means that he's up to absolutely no good whatsoever. So I went back in, expecting to find him climbing his dresser or parasailing. And there he sat, tears rolling down his cheeks, a smile on his face, holding a sock in each hand. He wasn't saying dark on at all.

Owen: Socks on.
Me: Oh Owen I'm so sorry.

Then he shot me a look which could mean only one thing. Daddy, you're a dumbass. Father of the year. Right here.

Posted by Chris at March 2, 2010 7:17 AM
Comments

Daddy you're a dumbass look. is precursor to the eye roll.

Posted by: William at March 2, 2010 8:13 AM

Awww little buddy! Don't be too hard on yourself though - little ones can be so hard to translate!
I love that he calls it "dark on/off" though - too cute!

Posted by: Heather at March 2, 2010 8:30 AM

I was sitting at my desk thinking, "Tuesday, I am SOOO not interested in you." And then I read your post and laughed. :o) Thanks for bringing smiles to Tuesday!

Posted by: Emily at March 2, 2010 8:41 AM

OMG. Dark On/Dark Off is just friggin' adorable!!!!

Don't be TOO hard on yourself. As parents we get distracted and don't always listen as well as we should. It doesn't screw em up TOO much... I... Hope. **Gives son worried look**

Posted by: NotAMeanGirl at March 2, 2010 9:06 AM

I have caught my daughter giving me that same look. But she is 33 so I know, that just because I'm 51 doesn't mean I have all the answers! LOL

Posted by: Maribeth at March 2, 2010 9:07 AM

It's not your fault he's almost totally illiterate.

Posted by: Mr Lady at March 2, 2010 9:13 AM

Aw, poor thing! I'm going to start thinking of it as "dark on" from now on.

Posted by: Fraulein N at March 2, 2010 9:17 AM

I always feel like such an a-hole when things like this happen.

Posted by: Darren at March 2, 2010 9:25 AM

Oh man. I had WAY too many of those moments with Maya!! I always walked away feeling like SUCH a jack off. Ugh.

Posted by: jen at March 2, 2010 11:06 AM

A real crap father wouldn't have bothered to go back into the room to check. The fact that you did and found him smiling lets you off the hook a little. One of the hardest things to do, as a parent, is to let the little buggers figure out things and do them for themselves. I practically have to duct tape my hands to keep from helping my just turned four year old son when he wants to do everything. As soon as Owen can talk, he'll trade the look for "go away!" which is much harder to take.

Posted by: rebecca at March 2, 2010 11:26 AM

My son is really hard to understand (he calls socks "gocks". He has some trouble with that initial S), so I feel your pain. In my house, a silent 2 year old probably means he's spreading the contents of his diaper on the wall. If I'd had my son first, I wouldn't have two kids.

Posted by: Brooke at March 2, 2010 12:30 PM

Oh man, I've been there.

I bet he loved the extra kisses and squeezes he got as a result, more than he disliked the misunderstanding.

Posted by: Brad at March 2, 2010 2:10 PM

Sigh. We've all been there. Give yourself credit for parenting a kid who will start putting on his own socks to solve the problem, and then have a beer. Or 5.

Posted by: Julie at March 2, 2010 2:35 PM

I just love it when you tell stories about your kids. Owen is something special.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at March 2, 2010 2:35 PM

i love this story :)

Posted by: kati at March 2, 2010 6:00 PM

Oh my goodness this is the story of my life right now. Koren is very stingy about using actual CONSONANTS, which means "No" and "Snow" sound exactly the same, as do "Walk/Sock/Fork" "Please/Cheese/Cheek/Bee" and "Light/Sky." I am forever misunderstanding him and he is forever being frustrated with my ignorance.

Posted by: Amy at March 2, 2010 10:35 PM

Daya has a pair of green rain boots. Two weeks ago when it snowed, I took her to the playground to play in the snow and splash in puddles, which she did very well.

I was happy she had the perfect boots to splash around in.

On the walk home she kept complaining her feet were cold. I told her we'd be home soon and just deal with it.

When we got home, I discovered she had worn through the soles of the boots because her feet were *soaking wet*. And it was 25 degrees outside. No wonder she kept saying her feet were freezing!

Do you feel better yet?

Posted by: jessica at March 3, 2010 11:31 AM

That is so sad. I hate it when that happens! Good thing, though, that you figured it out eventually.

Posted by: Jen R. (emeraldsunshine.org) at March 6, 2010 8:20 AM