March 29, 2010

Help A TiVo Out (Thank You For Being A Friend)

My TiVo is feeling a bit talked down to. My TiVo is perfectly capable of recording and showing more complex, adult programming but instead here is what is on it right now:

- Scooby Doo, Where are You
- The Berenstain Bears
- VH-1 Rock Honors - The Who
- Barney And Friends
- My Friends Tigger and Poo
- The Backyardigans

So you can kinda see where my TiVo is coming from. It's loaded with kid stuff (okay, The Who is mine and I kinda dig Scooby too) and there's virtually nothing for Beth and I.

That's because we've run out of stuff to watch.

We regularly record and watch Survivor. We've watched every iteration of the series since it started. We also check out Grey's Anatomy though the series has been dying a horrible death since the season before last (and I now almost universally loathe every character except Arizona, the lesbian pediatric surgeon, and Sloane). CSI - we are purists and watch only the Vegas version - is almost laughably stupid though - joke's on us - we still watch it. I'm a big fan of Chopped, Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, Bizarre Foods and Iron Chef but new episodes of those aren't exactly keeping TiVo busy The only thing I really look forward to TiVo catching is Lost. And even that is maddening right about now (I want answers, people - now!). And it's getting desperate. On Saturday night, Beth and I found ourselves watching The Golden Girls.

I ask you - what is must see TV in your house? I need some suggestions!

P.S. Just in case you're looking for something for your own viewing pleasure, may I please present what happens when Owen won't eat and we call in the big guns (the big guns being Mia). And yes, she is saying open up, yo. In case you were wondering.

Posted by Chris at March 29, 2010 7:14 AM
Comments

My Tivo is currently full of NCIS, NCIS; Los Angeles, Castle, Bones these are all old favorites.
New shows I'm enjoying? Human Target and Mercy.

Alos, have you ever watched Monk? I never did while it was on. But now Im watching the DVDs and it's great.

Posted by: michelle at March 29, 2010 7:53 AM

Celebrity Apprentice is our current not to be missed train wreck- Sharon Osbourne, Cyndi Lauper, Bret Michaels and Rod Blagojevich? How can that not be entertaining?

Do you have HBO? You should. All the best shows are on HBO and Showtime- Dexter, Weeds, Big Love, True Blood and beginning April 11th Treme.

We just started watching Breaking Bad, getting all the old seasons via Netflix to catch up.

I've cut down our season pass list on the tivo considerably. I think the only shows left are House, Survivor, The Amazing Race, Celebrity Apprentice, Modern Family, Cougar Town, LOST, and SVU.

Posted by: Lisa at March 29, 2010 8:00 AM

We don't have a TIVO or anything like it, but we do have certain shows that we like to watch. Our newest favorite, has actually become a family favorite, Man vs. Food on the Travel Channel. It's on Wednesday evenings, I believe. It's totally gross, but has inspired my four year old to drink her milk in her champagne glass in a chugging manner and slam the glass on the table to declare, "MAN WON!!!" Also, for more adulty entertainment...Mercy is so good. :)

Posted by: Wendy at March 29, 2010 8:02 AM

Posted by: Wendy at March 29, 2010 8:02 AM

My two new faves are the Good Wife, and Parenthood.

Posted by: jodifur at March 29, 2010 8:05 AM

Here's my list:
Parenthood, The Good Wife, Life (great documentary narrated by Oprah Winfrey), The Pacific (HBO miniseries), Undercover Boss, American Pickers, Pawn Stars, The Practice. If you are looking for good mini-series, check out Six Feet Under from HBO. Five seasons of loveliness!

Posted by: Christy at March 29, 2010 8:17 AM

Do you have HBO? We just discovered "How to make it" and we are hooked. It's like a gritty, NYC version of Entourage. Also, "Bored to Death" on HBO is a gem.

Posted by: Aaron at March 29, 2010 8:18 AM

We like to watch Modern Family and the Office. We aren't much for drama. The good part is our high school age children are also big fans so we all watch together.

Posted by: beth anne at March 29, 2010 8:19 AM

I totally agree with you about Grey's Anatomy and CSI, although we still watch Grey's we had to give up on CSI. Our current line-up includes The Office, Law & Order, The Good Wife, Vampire Diaries (guilty pleasure that hubby does not join me in watching), and we can't wait for Mad Men and Friday Night Lights to return. Have you checked out The Wire? It's no longer on but so worth it to rent it, it's probably our all-time favourite series, we watched all 5 seasons within 2 months and find all tv now pales in comparison!

Posted by: L. at March 29, 2010 8:23 AM

Must see for me is...

Project Runway (even though it's not as strong of a show since it moved to Lifetime, but this season is better than last)
Top Chef
Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution (it's new, but I'm hooked)
The Buried Life (on MTV, but the season just ended)

There's a lot less "HAVE TO WATCH" TV. I'm so burned out on Grey's Anatomy and yet... I keep watching.

Posted by: Sarah at March 29, 2010 8:26 AM

We don't have cable, but we still watch too much! Fringe, FlashForward, V, Heroes, Chuck, Lost, 24, Castle, Modern Family, Better Off Ted, The Office, Parks and Recreation. PHEW! And our Myth TV machine still hasn't given up...we have four tuners. :)

Posted by: Julie at March 29, 2010 8:42 AM

30 Rock is one of my favs each week. I also like 24, although you may want to wait for it to come out on Netflix so you can see it in order. Will definitely be turning into V now that it's starting up again and love the show Bones, even if it's a bit of a teenie bopper soap opera.

Posted by: Davis Freeberg at March 29, 2010 8:53 AM

Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Numb3ers
Caprica
Eureka & Warehouse 13 during the summer

Buffy and Angel are must see TV for us as we are working our way through both series with the kids on DVD.

Posted by: COS at March 29, 2010 9:07 AM

I see a lot of people have already said it, but Parenthood, The Good Wife, and Mercy are all good shows. What I'm really waiting for is the return of Glee and Burn Notice, though.

Posted by: Julie at March 29, 2010 9:08 AM

Parenthood and Modern Family are a must. Best shows on TV right now - and I don't have kids (hmmm maybe that's why I like them... let me know). I like Brothers & Sisters.
Others that are there just because:
Ace of Cake (such happy people!), Glee, getting into Friday Night Lights, and giving Madmen a whirl.
Personally, I enjoy the HBO and Showtime dramas, but since I don't get those channels, rely on Netflix for True Blood, Big Love, Weeds (jumped the shark in season 4), Six Feet Under.

Posted by: Lisa at March 29, 2010 9:20 AM

Hey, Yo. Cute kid vid, yo.

We only record a few non-kid things so here's an easy list for you:

Flash Forward - really quite good, and I'd recommend viewing the first few episodes online before diving in.

Biggest Loser - worst name, best show. Beyond the games, this show is more about American life, and more importantly about healthy living. We keep thinking we'll give it up but it's just too good.

The Daily Show and The Colbert Report - I'm not a laugh-out-loud kind of guy it seems because most shows just aren't funny enough. These are.

Family Guy - giggity giggity.

Posted by: Brad at March 29, 2010 9:33 AM

We're digging The Good Wife and Pawn Stars recently. Also still loyal to How I Met Your Mother, but it sounds from your list like you might not be sitcom people.

Posted by: pseudostoops at March 29, 2010 9:43 AM

Start the revolution: Turn off the TV. You are right, there is nothing terribly entertaining on TV these days. Good luck!

Posted by: Heather at March 29, 2010 9:47 AM

While I somewhat agree with Heather's preceeding comment, and we have ~dramatically~ cut down on our television watching, we are sort of having the same problem. When I ride on my exercise bike, I need SOMETHING. Anything. And at the end of some days, I just need to sit and be passively entertained. I'm not ashamed to admit it. And I can SO relate to the empty (or worse, Barney-filled) Tivo.

So. About a week ago I added the Daily Show and Colbert Report to record daily, but never save more than three episodes of each, and I have watched exactly 2 episodes. But I enjoyed having them. And we watch a lot of previously mentioned shows (30 Rock, How I Met.., Modern Family, and OMG is the Office dying a slow, nauseating death?) when we take the time to watch. My most shameful admission: we have a season pass to PBS' Antiques Roadshow. It's a good standby.

Basically, I totally understand your problem. There are shows you can watch, but it is all soooooo bad. Grey's sucks, American Idol sucks, most reality stuff that I used to enjoy is sort of watchable, but it's watchable for all the wrong reasons. It's smut. It leaves me feeling dirty and sheepish, like I just ate 3 pieces of cheesecake. Where's the ENTERTAINMENT?!

Posted by: Sabrina at March 29, 2010 9:58 AM

NCIS - both versions
Ultimate Recipe Showdown
Castle
Iron Chef, Chopped, Throwdown, Food Network Challenge - basically anything on Food Network
Mythbusters
Dirty Jobs

And sometimes there is nothing better than watching reruns of America's Funniest Home Videos and laughing at people getting hit in the junk. ;)

Posted by: Traci at March 29, 2010 10:07 AM

I watch Celebrity Rehab and Sober House and that's about it. And since my tv is dead, I only watch them the day AFTER they come out online. At Sunday breakfast after my AA meeting, we all make bets on who is actually going to stay sober.

Posted by: k8 at March 29, 2010 10:10 AM

Open Up, Yo should totally be her debut album name.

Debut CD? Jesus I'm old.

Posted by: Pammer at March 29, 2010 10:13 AM

I love, love, love Modern Family, Parenthood, and the Biggest Loser, and Anthony Bourdain. Oh, and my 8 yr old and I love Man v. Food. He was also fascinated by America's Best Pigout Places. On food network, The Best Thing I Ever Ate is pretty good too. The show with the celebrities tracing their family tree, cannot remember what it's called. Fascinating.

Posted by: halle at March 29, 2010 10:33 AM

Love Love Love this video. too adorable

TIVO--I have lots of weird movies that sounded good. Also, I found some weird Nickolodean show on there recently. Hello, kids?

I love Ruby--on Style, Pawn Stars, Dr. G, plus some others that have already been mentioned.

Posted by: debb at March 29, 2010 10:37 AM

Love Love Love this video. too adorable

Posted by: debb at March 29, 2010 10:37 AM

Gene Simmons Family Jewels (Sunday, A&E)- not because I love Kiss, but because his family mocks him constantly and it's hilarious!

How I Met Your Mom (CBS - Monday)
The Middle (ABC - Weds)
Modern Family (ABC - Weds)

All are great :)

Posted by: Jean at March 29, 2010 10:39 AM

I can't believe nobody has mentioned The Middle, it is so cute! Community is another glaring omission. It is a little off-beat, but I think it is hillarious!
Also in our Tivo that have yet to be mentioned:
The Mentalist
Two and a Half Men
48 Hours Mystery
Red Eye

Posted by: Tess at March 29, 2010 10:41 AM

Glee, True Blood, House, 16 & Pregnant, Charmed and Supernatural reruns and iCarly w/ the kids.

Posted by: Kris at March 29, 2010 11:02 AM

I thought for sure someone would have mentioned these already, but get Showtime and catch up on Nurse Jackie and United States of Tara!!! Nurse Jackie makes Greys look like Sesame Street.

And I second "American Pickers", it is strangely addicting..

Posted by: Ross at March 29, 2010 11:06 AM

And I second "American Pickers", it is strangely addicting..

Posted by: Ross at March 29, 2010 11:07 AM

I can't help, I really only watch Lost (I LOVE it - I don't care if they ever answer the questions! Okay, not really, but am really loving it! I will be sad to see it end!) and No Reservations on a regular basis. I love Glee, which comes back next week (of course, it will air at the same time as Lost, so I'll have to catch it on the internets as I don't have a (GASP!) DVR!

I'm really debating on whether or not I want to pay for HBO - I love True Blood (watched first season on DVD, am waiting for second season on DVD). But not sure I want to pay for HBO for just one show and not sure I am interested in the other shows. I guess I just don't want to give Comcast any more of my money! ;-)

I've caught Modern Family a few times and it's hysterical. I just keep forgetting when it is on! And I've started watching Supernatural. But other than that, nothing really worthwhile on TV.

Posted by: cyndy at March 29, 2010 11:33 AM

Ours has:
Blues Clues
Bones
Full Throttle Saloon
Pawn Stars
Heroes
Scooby Doo
Sesame Street
TMNT
American Idol
The Pacific

Posted by: Lisa at March 29, 2010 12:21 PM

We are CSI snobs also - only Vegas. It's just not the same without Grissam though, is it.
We also watch Survivor, Pawn Stars, American Pickers, The Mentalist, have The Pacific on tivo not yet watched.
I watch Grey's, Private Practice, Desperate Housewives & Mercy. There's a new series that has potential called "Justified", I think it's only 2 episodes in, so you can catch up.
I'm also a big Chelsea Lately & Ellen fan.
There really isn't much on except trainwreck reality shows.
Can't wait for Weeds & True Blood to come back! If you haven't seen either - they are both great shows but start them from the beginning!

Posted by: laineyDid at March 29, 2010 12:39 PM

Hm. We DVR a lot of shows and watch very view. I don't really like TV. My husband is DVR Master. We record Jon Stewart, Colbert, Undercover Boss, NCIS, House, and Sesame Street, because that's what our 2 year old watches while he's having his asthma treatment. We also have a few epis of America's Funniest Videos recorded in case we need emergency entertainment for the big kids. We record other things too, but at the moment they are not coming to mind. The list is long. Scrubs; my husband watches that but I don't enjoy it as much as I did in the first season.

I'm sure the video is super cute, but it's taking ages to load.

Posted by: Brooke at March 29, 2010 12:40 PM

I watch a lot of mainstream stuff; How I Met Your Mother, LOST (I'm catching up on Season 5, so far behind it's sad!), The Big Bang Theory, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Two and a Half Men, and gobs and gobs of home reno shows.

Posted by: Melissa at March 29, 2010 12:50 PM

I'll only list the shows Mr. Pine and I watch together. We each have our single favorites but generally the other can't stand them.

The Mentalist, Burn Notice, The Good Wife, NCIS (original), and baseball.

Posted by: pinetree22 at March 29, 2010 12:59 PM

Survivor is one of our guilty pleasures as well. I'm loving this season. The tribal council of the last episode was probably one of the best ones I've seen.

Posted by: Kevin Spencer at March 29, 2010 1:04 PM

Chuck is good, but I fear it might be on a downswing.

Also: Human Target, Leverage, Castle, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory. All quality offerings.

Posted by: Dawn at March 29, 2010 1:13 PM

Oh, my you have no idea what you just requested. I am the movie watcher of all times. I have what shows I watch during the week on a spreadsheet. I also go to the movies 1or 2 times a weekend. So here is the list that I watch. Maybe you can find something in here to watch. Good luck.

Rules of Engagement
Desperate Housewives
Brothers & Sisters
Medium
Law & Order
Cake Boss

Posted by: soccermom at March 29, 2010 1:30 PM

We are about to get our first DVR ever on Wednesday. I'm excited to try it out. Yes, I know, we're very behind the times.

Shows I'm really enjoying right now are Justified (Sheriff Bullock from Deadwood!) and Community. Breaking Bad is bleak but awesome, and just started its third or fourth season. Oh, and Nurse Jackie.

Posted by: bad penguin at March 29, 2010 1:35 PM

oh how adorable is that video??!?!?! super adorable, that's how.

Posted by: bri at March 29, 2010 2:04 PM

I haven't had a TV (well, cable, and there's no reception where I live otherwise) in almost two years. I was really missing it a while back, so while dog-sitting at a friend's, I ended up spending three hours just vegging in front of the TV on a Sunday night. Absolutely nothing worth watching was on. (Hoarders was the only remote winner, which is sad.) I got my fix and can now probably go another two years.

Posted by: Heather at March 29, 2010 2:29 PM

My suggestions...

Lost
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Psych (though it's off til this summer)
Human Target
The Office
Modern Family
Parenthood
Castle

Good luck! :-)

Posted by: Michelle at March 29, 2010 2:48 PM

The Good Wife and Parenthood are shows I started watching this year. Castle is excellently amusing. And I could not live without my weekly dose of Community and 30 Rock. GENIUS! I'm pretty excited about Glee coming back in April.

Dude, I bailed on Grey's a season ago.

Posted by: Erin at March 29, 2010 2:50 PM

I gave up on sitcoms years ago, but my sister recently clued me in to The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family. I and my non-TV watching hubs who thinks there hasn't been any good TV made since the X-Files (although I did talk him into Lost after he saw the new Trek) regularly laugh out loud to these. And who can't use a laugh, these days? Pacific is awesome so far (if you haven't seen Band Of Brothers yet - go, now, I'll wait...) and I'll add my votes for NCIS, House and Bones. My sister adds Glee, The Mentalist and Castle as her guilty pleasures. But I absolutely have to mention Chuck as being totally geeky, actiony, hilariously fun right now. If you can, check out the very first episode, season one and if you don't laugh out loud at least twice I'll eat this big piece of chocolate birthday cake that's sitting right here in front of me. Okay, I'm gonna do that anyway, really. Like, right now.

Posted by: Jen at March 29, 2010 4:11 PM

I can't recommend much as we just cancelled our cable subscription two months ago because there is never anything on. We use Netflix 90% of the time. We stream movies instantly with our PS3 but I hear that Netflix is coming soon for the Wii which I think you said you had? Other than Netflix, we catch episodes of Lost via iTunes or the Playstation store.

Posted by: Rengirl at March 29, 2010 5:49 PM

Wait, what was the question again? I was distracted by serious cuteness at the bottom of the page.

Oh, yeah. Our only must-sees are Thursday night NBC comedies, followed by Project Runway. And Amazing Race on Sunday. We don't watch anything else regularly. Modern Family is great but I can't even remember what night it's on -- Tuesday?

I wish I could get back into Lost, but had classes for a whole year on Wednesday nights and that pretty much killed the momentum for me.

Posted by: Laura Gato at March 29, 2010 6:16 PM

You need to watch Carnival (HBO show now cancelled) get the DVD's - worth every penny.

Also:
Breaking Bad - now on season 3 in the States but I am just finishing Season 2 on DVD here.
Sons of Anarchy

You shall thank me later. Your Welcome

Posted by: Sleepynita at March 29, 2010 6:55 PM

You need to watch Carnivale (HBO show now cancelled) get the DVD's - worth every penny.

Also:
Sons of Anarchy

You shall thank me later. Your Welcome

Posted by: Sleepynita at March 29, 2010 6:55 PM

The Biggest Loser. It should win awards, yo. Even if you can't relate to their struggles (which I can't) it is still so moving and inspirational. It's about halfway thru this season, but no reason you can't start watching now. And I just can't get enough of Glee! But probably not for you...my husband stays as far away from the tv as possible when I watch.

Posted by: Tracy H. at March 29, 2010 7:46 PM

My tivo regularly grabs the following: (some I am less than proud to say are on a Season Pass)
-Law and Order - all kinds, but only new ones
-The Office (though I'm kind of out of it now - should change that)
-Sober House with Dr. Drew (because I like watching other people who are complete losers and are celebrities)
-The Good Wife
-PARENTHOOD (MUST WATCH MUST WATCH)
That pretty much keeps my Friday and Saturday nights full.

Posted by: Sharri at March 29, 2010 9:15 PM

Damages, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Law & Order Criminal Intent (with Jeff Goldblum), Glee (I have teenagers, but have found out it's really fun) and for the homeowner in you Holmes on Homes.

Posted by: Lisa V at March 29, 2010 11:22 PM

Big Love is my absolute favorite show right now- season just ended but depending on your cable company, you might be able to view it "on demand". Guilty pleasure=Project Runway. We like CSI too and I am with you on the Vegas version. I also really love Criminal Minds but sometimes if it is about a child-related crime, it isn't so great for me. The same with Law & Order SVU. I am sort of getting into "Parenthood".

Posted by: Jane in Pa at March 29, 2010 11:28 PM

Community - believe the hype
Castle - Yay, Capt. Tightpants!
Burn Notice - believe the hype
In Plain Sight - Awesome show
Psych - Hilarious show
White Collar - I know one of the actors, but the show is very good. And Beth will like the eye-candy

Dead Like Me (both seasons are on hulu)
House - got back into it after a hiatus of "tired of House being an f-up)
Better Off Ted - the last five episodes are on Hulu. Damn you, networks!

Posted by: alektra at March 29, 2010 11:32 PM

Totally with ya on the CSI thing..gotta be Vegas or not at all. The Miami version gives us hives! Currently living overseas where the TV selection is less than stellar. We use Netflix to catch up on shows and provide some entertainment for our lil dude (3 yrs. old) So here are a few shows to consider: DEXTER, LIE TO ME (new season should be out soon if not running already..), LIFE (sadly series ended but was entertaining), LEVERAGE, and PARENTHOOD. I would say turn the tube off and grab a book but..... I know better. Happy Watching! : )

Posted by: Mutt at March 30, 2010 12:13 AM

i agree with 8:42am Sarah and add Madmen and the Office. and Jamie Oliver's food revolution is a must! it's exactly what my sister's life's work is about on the Hill.

Posted by: kati at March 30, 2010 12:15 AM

LIFE on Discovery is awesome right now. A little death, a lot of fun. :)

There's a reason why we don't have HBO & such: I'll never leave the house or do anything else again. May I present partial DVR listing?

BBC America: Top Gear, Dr. Who, Being Human, the F Word, and Graham Norton Show. Regular TV: Chuck, Castle, Big Bang Theory, House, Lost, NCIS, CSI, The Mentalist, Flashforward, Mythbusters, Project Runway, Top Chef, Eureka, Warehouse 13, Special Ops Mission. Food Network: Secrets of Restaurant Chef, Giada at Home, Tyler's Ultimate, Best Thing I Ever Ate.

I'm hooked on Justified on FX and would give Sons of Anarchy a few more episodes next season. Still undecided on V.

Posted by: oakley at March 30, 2010 2:11 AM

Love the video of the kids!
Not much on to watch these days. TV sucks worse then I can remember it.
I have found that I like "Life Unexpected" on the WB. You can catch up on the older episodes online.

Posted by: Maribeth at March 30, 2010 5:52 AM

Right now.
Must see TV for us. Well, we don't watch much TV together. The Man loved Band of Brothers and is presently into Pacifica. (Me, I hate war stuff.)

As a group we like Dragon's Den (which is the nicer? Canadian version of a show calls Shark's Tank, I think or something with Shark in the title.)

I am committed to the following show
1. Supernatural -- Season 5 seems to be a bit meandering. Scenery is good.
2. Fringe because I love love the Walter.
3. Bones (a guilty pleasure) though it too, it seems a bit more insipid than it was before.

My find this season is a Canadian show called Republic of Doyle. Set in St. John's Newfoundland, it's an old school PI show. (Not sure you can get it stateside. CBC.ca has episodes if you can view them.)

Posted by: Nat at March 30, 2010 7:38 AM

We don't Tivo much, but we do download whole seasons of 24 and Dexter after they air. That way someone has usually edited out the commercials already. Must see TV in our house consists of: Lost, V, Fringe, Modern Family and Big Bang Theory (BBT is a recent addition that all five of us have fallen head over heels for).

Posted by: Procrastamom at March 30, 2010 2:54 PM

And this is why we finally just canceled cable. We have high-speed internet, Netflix and a library of kids' DVDs for our 4 year old, who really just watches one of them at a time...over and over and over.

So that works for us! When we want to watch something we just put in a DVD or stream something from Netflix. Heck if we HAVE to watch a tv show, chances are it's on HULU anyway.

Buck the system!

Posted by: Angela at March 31, 2010 7:08 AM

Criminal Minds, Bones, and Damages are all awesome. Unfortunately, Criminal Minds and Bones are several seasons in. However, you could probably watch Criminal Minds with limited background info. Damages is in it's second season so you could catch up easily.

Mythbusters is also great if you enjoy watching sciencey stuff that ends in destruction.

Posted by: Jennifer at March 31, 2010 10:30 AM

Modern Family

Weeds (watch it from the very first season - so good)

Big Love

Dexter

Damages

The Amazing Race

Posted by: Jodi at March 31, 2010 2:03 PM

Ok, um since you asked, Hi my name is Tailynn and I’m an addict. My Tivo never has less then 40 shows saved, I also stream from Netflix on my blueray player, oh and I go to the movies about twice a month (most of the time seeing two movies at a time)….

Ok now that is out of the way. I would love to say I don’t watch tv but the only way for me to actually stay on the treadmill is watch hours upon hours of tv. Also my job is very dead during the summer so I pass my time, streaming shows, ugh don’t tell the boss, ok?

So here are my suggestions:

First check out the local library and Netflix for older series. A few of these were already mentioned but I definitely second them, The Wire (HBO), Weeds (Showtime), United States of Tara (Showtime), Six Feet Under (HBO) are all must sees. Our local library has a great dvd selection, so you may want to check yours out.

For cable televisionl I highly recommend FX for their series. Sons of anarchy, Nip/Tuck, Damages, Justified (just started this month OMG), and Rescue Me. Breaking Bad (AMC).

My absolute favorites on regular tv right now:
Minute to win it (really good game show)
Secret lIfe of an American teenager (abcfamily)
Mercy
The Good Wife
Survivor (this season is really really good.)

I tivo the following to fill in the gaps during the summer when everthing is airing repeats:
Big Brother
Cold Case
Criminal Minds
Law & Order (all of them)
Brothers & Sisters
Private Practice
Anything on HGTV and Foodnetwork

Now let me say, I have a low attention span so I can make a hour long show into twenty minutes, I fastworded thru all commercials and boring parts, so I kind of just skim the shows to get the jist, also most of the time I’m on the treadmill or bike, listening to tv while also doing homework on my computer. Mutlitasker here!

Posted by: Tailynn at March 31, 2010 7:51 PM

So here are my suggestions:

My absolute favorites on regular tv right now:
Minute to win it (really good game show)
Secret lIfe of an American teenager (abcfamily)
Mercy
The Good Wife
Survivor (this season is really really good.)

Big Brother
Cold Case
Criminal Minds
Law & Order (all of them)
Brothers & Sisters
Private Practice
Anything on HGTV and Foodnetwork

Posted by: Tailynn at March 31, 2010 7:51 PM

So here are my suggestions:

My absolute favorites on regular tv right now:
Minute to win it (really good game show)
Secret lIfe of an American teenager (abcfamily)
Mercy
The Good Wife
Survivor (this season is really really good.)

Big Brother
Cold Case
Criminal Minds
Law & Order (all of them)
Brothers & Sisters
Private Practice
Anything on HGTV and Foodnetwork

Posted by: Tailynn at March 31, 2010 7:51 PM

Our TiVo playlist...

"I have 20 minutes and need to laugh":

Modern Family (hi-larious)
30 Rock
The Office
Parks & Recreation
How I Met Your Mother

"I have 20 minutes and want to laugh at smart stuff":

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

"I have 40 minutes and want to watch the TV equivalent of NPR":

Sunday Morning on CBS (my favorite show)

"I have 40 minutes and want to be confused":

Lost
FlashForward
Heroes

Posted by: iheartnewyork at March 31, 2010 8:02 PM

Parenthood and Pawn Stars.Both said in prior comments but both good enough to be reiterated. :)

Posted by: maly at April 3, 2010 9:01 AM

Mia and Owen are so darn cute!!

Lately I started DVRing a show called Damages that seems pretty good. I like Castle too, but I just got season 1 from Netflix so I'm going to watch that first. We DVR Lost, but I'm so confused.... I'm going to wait for it to come out on DVD....

Posted by: Rose Winters at April 3, 2010 7:18 PM