March 3, 2010

Papercuts

I was reading the other day and I got a papercut. Hurt like a sonofabitch but then I realized that if technology keeps marching on, the days of book-caused papercuts could be nearing an end. Unless people start strapping machetes to their Kindles or something.

I'm a reader. Duh. I love to read. It's an escape for me, a little window through which I can crawl each and every day and enter a new universe. And I have shelves and shelves of read and unread universes scattered throughout our house. I might be able to build and actual universe out of the books I own. Long way of saying that I'm more than a little invested in books - physical, paper books. Which is why I haven't jumped on-board the whole e-book bandwagon yet. You know, the Nook, the Kindle, the soon-to-be-released iPad bandwagon.

It's sort of strange given how I've sacrificed physical CDs for music downloads. It's been months since I bought an actual CD. I've even gone so far as to rip my entire CD collection to a virtual format (man, that was a pain in the ass). I do miss the art. I miss being able to pull the CD cover out, read the lyrics, see who did the cover design, check out who played on the album. But I've realized that, most of all, I really care about the music. And I can get that more inexpensively and conveniently online. (I realize this also makes me lazy and cheap.)

I think I'd miss physical books more than I miss physical CDs. I'd miss the feel in my hands, turning the pages, dog-earing a page to mark my place.

What about you? Have you jumped on the e-book bandwagon? And do you think books are fading into obscurity?

Posted by Chris at March 3, 2010 7:56 AM
Comments

CDs were apt to get scratched or lost (and lost at 18 bucks or so is not an easy replacement). There was no question for me of switching from CDs to digital music. I could finally make mixes quite easily as opposed to just shuffling through 1 CD (or 5 if you had a changer). I liked the variety it put at my fingertips.

Books? I don't want a kindle. I don't think I'd like it. I can't see myself "curling up in bed" with an e-book. I have a long standing relationship with books. It's not about the words. It's about the act of curling up and enjoying a good story.

Part of that for me, is the book itself.

I'm also a huge fan of "worn" books. You know the ones. The ones you can take one look at and say "That was a well loved treasure!"

Nope, don't take my books away. I can live with a papercut. It's well worth it for a good escape.

Posted by: Holly Reynolds at March 3, 2010 8:19 AM

I'm the technoweenie in the family but I will not give up my books. I've downloaded a free book on my IPhone but that's just for when I'm bored and out somewhere.
A Kindle or something would feel too much like work.

Posted by: NancyJ at March 3, 2010 8:32 AM

You know, I thought I was in the same camp as you regarding books. I swore it just wouldn't be the same reading from a Kindle. But then I got one from my husband for Christmas. At first I thought "Hum, I wish he'd stop spending so much money on gifts that I don't want." But now? I LOVE IT. It has so many advantages. It is easy to hold with one hand, no matter how long the book is. I can decide that I want to buy a book and shazam, push a few buttons, and there it is! (I'm big on instant gratification). If a word shows up that I don't know, it has a built in dictionary, which is fabulous! As far as curling up in bed with it as the previous poster said? I do it every night. And best? No papercuts :) But if you told me that if I didn't give up my Kindle real print books would disappear forever? I'd give it up in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Elizabeth at March 3, 2010 8:38 AM

I am so not an e-book fan. I cannot make the switch. Reading lots of text on a screen gives me a headache and I don't ever feel like I get sucked in. I love the feel of pages in my hands and love the smell of ink and glue and paper. I will always lobby on behalf of print.

For CDs, I hardly buy physical ones anymore unless it's someone I REALLY love. Then I must have the CD. Not sure why but...it's just a thing I have.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at March 3, 2010 8:39 AM

i won't be buying a Kindle or one of its clones until all content offered on them is portable to other formats, and free of DRM. I'm not willing to spend hundreds of dollars on "books" only to have Amazon or whoever decide in 3 years that they are killing the product, and all my content along with it.

Likewise with music, I only buy unencumbered MP3 files, usually from Amazon. I haven't bought a physical CD in probably 4 or 5 years.

Posted by: COD at March 3, 2010 8:55 AM

I am an avid reader as well, and just cannot seem to make the jump. [Also, I get my books relatively cheap ($2) from a website called paperbackswap.com you actually get the book for free, whoever sends pays postage, and you do the same if someone requests a book listed of yours] Even electronic formats can't beat free.

Posted by: kathryn at March 3, 2010 9:03 AM

I hope that books do not go away in their physical form. I love them. The smell, the feel, the way a new book sounds when you open the cover for the first time and it crackles.

I have NO desire to do the electronic book thing. I get it but still UGH. I read a lot of shit online and work all day on a computer. The last I think I want to do is whip out a computer to read a book. BOO HISSSSS...

I also miss CDs in the same way I missed tapes once they went away. I hung on till the bitter end with tapes! I miss going to the music store and hanging out, looking at all of the music and secretly checking out all the of people and enjoying the time alone immersing myself in something I love. I like iTunes for ease (laziness factor?) but it just does not have the human factor I liked about the "record" store which YES I still called it that even when it went to all tapes and then all CDs. Does that make me OLD?!??!

Posted by: Christina at March 3, 2010 9:09 AM

I personally havent jumped on the e-book bandwagon. There is something about having the book physically in your hand and reading the pages. Plus, a physical book never has low batteries. :o)

Posted by: Elizabeth at March 3, 2010 9:11 AM

I have a Kindle but I don't use it exclusively. I like to use it when I travel because I can have several books on it without the weight of physical books. And e-books are cheaper than paper books typically.

But it will never replace paper books for me. I like to have a paper copy of books I love on my shelf.

Posted by: donna at March 3, 2010 9:14 AM

I would have a really hard time giving up on paper books too - it's just part of the whole experience :)

Posted by: Heather at March 3, 2010 9:26 AM

I'm torn. I work at a computer all day and the last thing I want to do when I get home is look at another screen, but e-readers do have advantages (weight, dictionary, etc).

That being said, I would feel alone if my house suddenly had no books in it. I love the smell, the feel, the whole experience.

In a perfect world I'd buy an e-reader for travel, and if the books are bad, I can just delete them and pretend they never existed. I'd buy a paper copy for the books I think are classics and want to read over and over.

Posted by: Melissa at March 3, 2010 9:26 AM

I don't think I'll be jumping on the e-book bandwagon for a good long while, probably not until I'm forced into it. It's just not the same.

Posted by: Fraulein N at March 3, 2010 9:30 AM

I don't think I'll ever make the switch to e-books. I acknowledge the convenience factor (especially when I'm lugging around an 800 page hardback), but I experience far too much joy from having tangible books sit on a tangible shelf.

Music has progressively gotten easier to access. In the beginning, if you wanted to listen to music, you had to have the whole orchestra in front of you. But then people came up with phonographs, records, the radio, 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs, and now digital files. There has been a steady progression throughout music's history of making it more convenient.

Books, on the other hand, really haven't changed all that much since the beginning. This leads me to hope that there will be a place for the physical book for a while longer.

Posted by: Melody at March 3, 2010 9:33 AM

I don't nomally comment, but since none of the comments are in favor of e-books I felt compelled to do so. I am an avid reader I just don't like the clutter of books everywhere. My Hubby got me a Kindle for Valintine's Day. Absolute best present ever! With a cover it is like a little journal so you still retain the book "feel". The screen is the size of a small paperback book and is not backlit so no comparison to reading on an Iphone or computer screen (no eye strain). The pages look like a sightly smaller printed page and has font adjustablity to match your preferred size. Unlike Ipods you don't have to be connected to a computer to download books. Using 3G network for free you can download anywhere. Most older books are free or less than $2 and new or best sellers are around $10 usually 1/2 book cost. If I really into a story I sometimes catch myself trying to physically turn the page(I know I'm a dork but it is that much like a "real" book). Chris I remember how you felt about Iphones and how you feel now so don't dismiss it as something you would never like. You never know until you try it.

Posted by: Elizabeth at March 3, 2010 9:39 AM

I have a Kindle, and use it almost daily, but I don't think "real" books are going away anytime soon. I still read plenty of "real" books myself! I think there's plenty of room in the marketplace for both formats.

That being said, I won't be jumping on the iPad bandwagon anytime soon. I think that anyone buying it solely for its e-book capabilities is going to be sorely disappointed. Before I had my Kindle, I read almost daily on my iPhone, and there really is a big difference between reading on screen and reading e-ink. My eyes used to tire on the phone after an hour or so, but I feel like I can read forever on the Kindle.

Posted by: Jaime at March 3, 2010 9:44 AM

NO NO NO! BOOKS MUST REMAIN IN PRINT OR I WILL DIE.

Okay. Sorry for the yelling. But I feel so strongly about this, I could cry. My books must have heft and weight. I must like how it feels in my hands. It is like a little soul. A soul that would disappear in digital form.

Sigh.

Posted by: k8 at March 3, 2010 9:45 AM

I'm the same way about books, except I'm anxiously awaiting getting a nook. (Next couple weeks, yeah!) Mostly, I like the idea of not having piles of books laying around the house that I don't have anywhere to put. I also like the idea of being able to get a book (almost) instantly without having to leave the house to get it. And the ability to have several books in one small little space....okay, I just totally love the idea and am going crazy waiting to be able to get one!

Posted by: sherri at March 3, 2010 9:51 AM

I love print books, and when the Kindle came out I had no interest in it at all. But as I talked to people who had them, I started to rethink it. I got a nook for Christmas and I totally love it. I haven't abandoned print books by any means, but the nook is so much easier to read on the bus - I can hold my coffee in one hand & my nook in the other, and I don't have to juggle things every time I want to turn a page.

I also thought for a long time that it would actually cost me more money for books in the long run - I buy very few print books, and borrow most from the library. But that's turned out not to be the case. My library has a huge collection of e-books, with the same lending period as print, so it's been a non-issue.

Posted by: Becky at March 3, 2010 9:57 AM

I take a train to work every day, an hour each way. I was carrying multiple books with me all the time because inevitably I'd finish one 10 minutes into my ride and be stuck for the next 50 minutes with nothing (and if it was the morning, i'd be stuck in the evening too). My husband bought me a Kindle for Christmas and it is hands down the best thing ever!!! I can always have a few books with me...it's fast, it's simple and oh how I love it. I still have logs of regular books but my Kindle is fabulous!

Posted by: Jean at March 3, 2010 9:57 AM

No, I don't see myself doing the Kindle thing. Not ever, really.

What program(s) did you use to rip your entire cd collection? I've been wanting to do the same.

Posted by: Brad at March 3, 2010 10:26 AM

I have a kindle and I absolutely love it! It makes the monstrous 1000 page books that I sometimes read much easier to tote around. It has a function that allows you to look up words if you don't know what they mean and gives you access to google, wikipedia, etc to look up ideas you want to know more about.

My favorite thing is that if I am out and about and I finish my book, I don't have to wait to get home to grab my next book (or carry around two books when I am getting close to the end...bah!). I just jump on whispernet and buy another book!

This being said, I still buy the books of my 2 favorite authors in actual book form. My mother (also a kindle owner) constantly asks why I do this. I can't really put it into words, but I just NEED those books...

Posted by: Kris H. at March 3, 2010 10:33 AM

I got a Kindle for Christmas and I love it. Not so much for work-related books (I'm an academic), but for fun books. And since I have about a gazillion books, I love the idea that I can put THOUSANDS of books on my Kindle and not have to store them somewhere in our tiny two-bedroom apartment. The built in dictionary is awesome. The fact that when I'm traveling I only have to bring one item instead of eight books is awesome.

There are some downsides - I can't share my Kindle books, there is a limited library, and, frankly, I feel kinda bad paying $9.99 for a non-real book.

But, overall, I'm totally on board with the ebook phenomenon!!

Posted by: NGS at March 3, 2010 10:52 AM

I listen to books on CD (moved to my iPod during my long commute), but always have a physical book with me. I haven't embraced ebooks yet.

Posted by: Lisa at March 3, 2010 10:58 AM

Here's the thing that kills me about e-books. You can't get them from the library. I'm a big reader, but I haven't bought a book in years. It comes from being married to a librarian. When I can take my kindle to the library and borrow books onto it, then I'll do it in a minute. I don't care about the paper, the cover, any of that, what I refuse to do is fork $10 or $15 over for a book I'll read in four hours. With a library book, it's paid for by my tax dollars, anyone else in the city can get it for free also, and if I want to read it again, I just check it out again.

Libraries are awesome.

Posted by: Aaron at March 3, 2010 11:08 AM

I made the exact same argument for physical books. Then I got a Kindle for Christmas. Now I expound upon the benefits of being able to bring my entire library with me everywhere I go. It's a bummer that I can't share books with friends, but on the other hand, I live in a small town with a limited library and bookstore so I now have access to more while also paying less than I would for an actual book.

Posted by: Jenn at March 3, 2010 11:09 AM

Chris I feel the exact same way. I just can't get into the kindle thing either.

I'd be too afraid of using it to read in the bathtub anyhow.

Posted by: jessica at March 3, 2010 11:17 AM

You're talking to a girl who used to go to the USC stacks just to smell old books here. Sure, I don't read as much as you do, but I too do love the feel of a book.

Brandon however has converted completely to digital. But then again, he goes through those scifi paperbacks like his life depends on it. The one good thing coming out of this is that we have no books laying around to give out or donate. I guess we've saved many trees with him reading digitally.

Also, on digital music. I asked the high-end stereo guy, installing an expensive system at one of Brandon's side job clients, why he'd recommend the client to have a CD changer instead of an MP3 player/system. He said 2 words: higher fidelity. If you're going to pay that much for the system, it should sound perfect, and to him, MP3s can't give you that.

Posted by: oakley at March 3, 2010 11:21 AM

I have a kindle. I had the same reservations you do, but in all honesty... I LOVE IT. (I did try to turn the page physically the first day I used it though. LOL) If you get a nice cover for it you still get the feel of a book without having to worry about storing a physical book after you're done reading it! Love, Love, Love

Posted by: NotAMeanGirl at March 3, 2010 11:21 AM

Unfortunately books ARE fading into obscurity and it's a sad sad thing. I was just talking to my friend about this over the weekend when I informed her that I now lived in a city with no book store. No independent or big box retail book store. I can not go to the store to buy a book unless I pick up one of the five selections at the grocery checkout...it's sad. So so sad.

I am holding out on the ebook. I spend 8 hours a day at work in front of a computer. I spend an additional couple hours at home in front of one most days. It's kind of scary when you think about how plugged in you are. I like the feel of the real book; the way they smell, the irritation I get when the dusk jacket gets in my way...the papercuts. I love it all and refuse to give that up until I can not get my precious books any more. Then I might consider doing the ebook thing. But right now I order from amazon or wait until the weekend and drive up to 30 miles one way to go to an actual book store. It's not practical to do I know...but...I love my books.

Posted by: Amy at March 3, 2010 11:29 AM

No Kindle. I have this weird theory that we're all in this real-life version of The Jerk and that at some point we'll all go cross-eyed from this newfangled invention. :) But seriously, the tactile experience of reading a book is such a treasure. I don't want to sit in front of a screen any longer than I do!

Posted by: mandy at March 3, 2010 11:42 AM

I have nothing against ebooks, but I have no particular desire to own one either. I find the idea of paper books disappearing awful but I tend to think that these things have a way of preserving themselves. For instance look at the resurgence in handcrafting(including bookbinding) the last few years.

Posted by: Jess at March 3, 2010 11:48 AM

I don't miss the physical CDs as much as I thought I would. I used to have them all out on display neatly filed in the living room. After ripping them all, they're now all in storage boxes in the garage.

I don't think the same would be true of books though. I dunno, there's something very tactile about reading a book. The feel of the paper, the turning of the page. I don't want to get rid of that.

Posted by: Kevin Spencer at March 3, 2010 12:01 PM

I have a Kindle and absolutely love it. This will help a ton with my book clutter! You can still "earmark" virtually. I can't wait to get an iPad after experiencing the interface of the iPhone. It will kick serious eBook butt over the Kindle and I can't wait. It's such a wonderful thing because like the iPod, you have your collection with you. And not only books, but newspapers and magazines delivered automatically. Truly glorious. Indeed, I am an eBook fan!

Posted by: James Proffitt at March 3, 2010 12:02 PM

I switched to digital music and in spite of early resistance, I do enjoy it more. Though I miss "shopping for CDs."

Oddest thing with iPhones and eBooks, they make me feel really woozy if I read them in the car. It' the oddest thing. Books are fine. So I hope books stick around.

Posted by: Nat at March 3, 2010 12:08 PM

I flatly refuse to read a book on something electronic. I spend all day at work reading and editing on a computer, and I'm a freelance graphic designer, so half the night is on the computer as well. Not to mention that I'm also usually vaguely immersed in the TV at the same time. The eye strain is ridiculous and my vision suffers for it.

At the same time, it bothers me more deeply than it should that the bulk of culture that I value (book and music; I'm less bothered about DVDs) has gone totally intangible. I love my books, my CDs, my records that I own for the cover art but cannot actually play since I don't have a record player. I think it's much cooler to plow through Infinite Jest and tell anyone who'll listen that it's 1088 pages (and 100 of those are footnotes) than to download it and say "yeah, it took up like a whole gig."

Of course, much of my work is print format, so I'm concerned about my sideline (and the ever dwindling print industry jobs). And when I die, I kind of like the thought of people having to sift through my hundreds of book and CDs and decide what to do with them instead of just deleting them off my iPod and Kindle.

Posted by: Kate at March 3, 2010 12:22 PM

nope, i can't imagine curling up with anything other than a book. a lot of ritual is involved in reading a book. i can't imagine reading to the kids at night with anything other than a colourfully illustrated book
i also listen to vinyl still, soooo i'm pretty much a dinosaur.

Posted by: meanie at March 3, 2010 12:34 PM

I thought I'd miss reading actual books, but damn do I love my kindle. I especially love the whole "finished with your book? get another!" aspect of it, so you're never trapped sans book. That said, I don't think I'll ever entirely give up physical books. I hope textbooks never go the e-book route, because it's a horrible medium for that sort of usage, and I'll probably always have a book or two that I want to read that won't be available electronically.

So, to sum up: love e-books, but hope real books stick around.

Posted by: Dawn at March 3, 2010 12:45 PM

I haven't jumped on the eBook bandwagon. One of the main reasons is that I don't tend to buy too many books at full price. I get them at yard sales or the library. I can't imagine reading a cookbook on a Kindle, etc.

Posted by: Rose Winters at March 3, 2010 12:47 PM

I am struggling with the Kindle question. I love to read, I read a lot ... and I am a bit of a luddite about my books. I look at a computer screen all day, I don't know that I want to read from a screen. But - and it is a big but - I travel a lot, and it would be nice to take one thin Kindle on the plane rather than the 4 books I need to make a round trip. I waited a long time to switch to a digital SLR, so I suspect the Kindle is going to be a long time coming for me... but I do see the use.

Posted by: Aime at March 3, 2010 12:58 PM

It's funny that you posted this today. I was just looking at my GoodReads list just today and wondered if you were/did the e-reader thing.

I actually have bothe the Kindale and the BNN E-reader apps on my iPhone and generally read books on there. Every once in a while I will steal my hubby's Kindle because I do enjoy the e-ink.

If I don't get an iPad then I will most likely invest in a Kindle.

Posted by: ::c:: at March 3, 2010 1:16 PM

Have not, will not get an electronic reader. I want a book in my hand, papercuts and all.

The only time I would want an electronic reader is when I travel because I ALWAYS haul books with me. But to circumvent that, I could always download the Kindle app onto the iPod touch I'm planning on getting. (Did you know there was a Kindle app for iPhone/iPod touch?)

Posted by: zanie at March 3, 2010 1:28 PM

I have fully converted to e-books due to my voracious appetite for reading and how bulky books can be when you travel a lot for work. My entire library (nearly) is on my iTouch and is accessible at any time I need/want. I could not be happier with the switch because I can read any time I wish, anywhere I wish. Same could go for parchment, but it is a bit cumbersome to always carry three to five books with you whenever you go on a business trip.

Posted by: Doug at March 3, 2010 1:49 PM

I am ready for the e-book bandwagon. I just don't know which reader. I had the Kindle on my wish list, and then I saw the Skiff. I don't think that's even out yet, but now there's the iPad!

I read my newspaper in an e-reader format on my laptop because I don't live in the city in which it's published and I can't get a physical copy. I get a lovely pdf version with all the pictures and everything. I'd love to be able to slump on the couch with my wi-fi enabled e-reader and read it in the evening. As it is, I read it at work, but if I don't have time, I skip it, because getting out my laptop in the evening is a pain.

I love paper books, I do. But I'm running out of space to put them and the trees, man, the trees! Plus, e-reading? It's ON DEMAND. You want it, you buy it, it's on your reader. No more getting in the car to go to the bookstore, or waiting for Amazon to deliver. I'm all about instant gratification. I feel ya, Chris, but I'm ready to move on. ;-)

Posted by: Brooke at March 3, 2010 2:34 PM

I absolutely love books. My husband absolutely hates that they are stacked all over the house. For Christmas he bought me a Nook and I have to say, I love it! I used to carry 1-3 books with me at all times (just in case I finished one...or two while out and about) and the Nook is definately lighter. I like the instant gratification of buying a book online and being able to read it right away. I was a big library user so I am still wrapping my head around the idea of paying for books but the prices are typically less than paperbacks. I was also worried about reading on the screen but after reading 6 books so far I have had no problems.

Posted by: Mary at March 3, 2010 4:17 PM

I can't get on the eBook bandwagon. I tried the Kindle app on my iPhone and basically? I hate it. I'm sure the app is lovely, but I love the look and feel and smell of books. I love browsing book stores and reading the inside covers and being pulled in by cover art and fonts and colors... Flipping through the pages before deciding to buy. I have a pile on my desk of books I want to read. I curl up with a book every night before sleep. I can't give up the real thing.

Posted by: Sarah at March 3, 2010 4:21 PM

I posted about this on my book blog http://homebetweenpages.com but I was really anti-eReader for a long time, but I got a nook for Christmas and I love it. It will never, ever replace my actual books -- but it's a fantastic supplement. I waited a while to pick an eReader because there was a lot lacking from each of them, and the Kindle as the frontrunner? I didn't like that I was beholden to Amazon by the format the eBooks come in. But I traveled to NYC this weekend and instead of taking my giant copy of Wolf Hall with me for the trip, I packed my nook -- and read a good chunk of The Terror by Dan Simmons. I vote yes :)

Posted by: Rachel at March 3, 2010 4:41 PM

I've had a Kindle for about 9 months. I love how portable it is, and how I don't have to wait for books to be available at our library or in paperback before buying them (I tend to stay away from hardcover books for $ purposes). I thought making the transition would be harder for me than it has been but like you described your transition to downloads from CDs, I discovered that it's the written word that I love, moreso than the holding of the books in my hands. It's not perfect for every book format, of course, but overall I'm happy.

Posted by: Heather @critter chronicles at March 3, 2010 5:55 PM

All of my paper cuts come from filing and I don't see that going away any time soon.

I'm sorry trees, but I like the feel of holding a book made of trees. They're probably making an exeunt, but it will be a lengthy process because of people like me.

Posted by: harmzie at March 3, 2010 7:13 PM

I'll not be giving up my paper books. I prefer paperbacks to hardcover because I like to read laying down and the hardcovers are too heavy. I'm afraid I'll give myself a concussion.

Posted by: Annie at March 3, 2010 9:20 PM

I don't read nearly as much as you, and I am quite addicted to my iPhone, but I can't imagine curling up on the couch to read an electronic device. Books are about escape, at least most of the time, and holding a book, turning the pages, folding the spine...somehow it seems like less of an escape if it's not a old-fashioned book.

Music is different, though I am still buying CDs for the artists I really love or if I stumble upon something at the used CD store (though my local one is closing, much to my horror).

Posted by: laura at March 3, 2010 10:30 PM

I have an Ipod and I listen to music every single day. I love having an Ipod because I can buy only that one good song from every album I don't want to buy in full. But guess what? I still buy CD's because I love the inside liner notes and lyrics. I love flipping through the pages and seeing the pictures while I first listen to the album.

I have a Sony Ebook reader, I got it way back before the Kindle existed. I have read about 15 books on it in all these years.

I just love books. Paper cuts are a low risk and you can mitigate that risk.

Posted by: Kristy at March 3, 2010 11:25 PM

I don't read often enough for this to be an issue for me. My hubby is the opposite, he reads a great deal. I tried to turn him onto a Kindle or something mostly for the convenience factor. He hates the whole idea. He loves books, having a library in our home and can't imagine switching.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at March 3, 2010 11:43 PM

I think that books are better for your eyes than a screen. I won't be hopping on that band wagon. Although I'm not as invested as you, I love books.

Posted by: Heather at March 3, 2010 11:51 PM

Totally agree with you on this one...will NOT be getting a Kindle (or nook, or whatever). I LOVE the feel of a book. I LOVE the smell of a book (new, old, etc...they all have their own smell and I love it!) I just LOVE books.

I've not given totally up on CDs - I feel the need to read the liner notes from start to finish whenever I listen to an album for the first time. I do download, but mostly stuff I don't feel the need to sit with liner notes. But I usually purchase the CD if I want a full album rather than download. It's a throw-back to sitting with the album cover ages ago (when there were actual albums!) and taking the time to LISTEN to the music rather than turn it on and go, if you know what I mean!

Posted by: cyndy at March 4, 2010 12:12 PM

I'm still buying cds. I rip them to digital as soon as I get home with them. I NEED the tactile experience of holding it, having the lyrics, the artwork, the thank yous, etc.

I don't buy books. I rent from the library. I love the library. I love reading books I know others have held and read. I like buying used books.

A Kindle or whatever in the world wouldn't satisfy my tactile needs . . . .

Posted by: Mindy at March 4, 2010 3:10 PM

I love CDs like crazy. I still buy them. Mpgs are lossy. Musicians work like dogs in the studio--agonizing over every note, every sound--and for what, anymore? Why kill yourself over something no one even hears anymore? It's like having to listen to everything on transistor radios again. UGH.

I love books, too. In fact, the last ad campaign on which I worked before I retired was for the Sony Reader. When we first started brainstorming, we hadn't yet seen one, but we still knew the big hurdle was going to be that love of the physical book/page/paper (there's no replacing the feel, the heft, the smell). (It all ended up being moot, as Sony decided, at that time, to hold on releasing the Reader in the U.S., but I digress.)

Anyway. They finally sent us a couple readers, and I have to say, once I saw/held/experienced one, the obstacles seemed much less profound. Those things are as close to paper as I can imagine anything ever coming, and they actually come close to satisfying the desires of a book-lover. Or much closer than I expected. And when you consider that a student could potentially carry every textbook for every class in one thin gadget instead of dragging 40 lbs. all over campus every day ...

Not to mention I think there's room for both. I don't think books will ever be replaced completely. Of course, I said that about CDs, and I fear I may have been wrong.

Posted by: Elise at March 6, 2010 9:37 AM

That's well known that cash can make us free. But what to do when one has no cash? The one way is to receive the credit loans or just term loan.

Posted by: Shelley35Hood at October 8, 2010 11:53 AM