March 5, 2010

The Weeklies #122

The Weekly Computer Application That Drove Me Crazy. Microsoft Word.

The Weekly Time Waster. Contrapunctus

The Weekly Read. This week - in between working and working and working - I took on David Ignatius' The Increment. The verdict? Not half bad. I was expecting a hard-boiled international spy novel. But what I got was kind of International Intrigue Lite. It wasn't bad - I saw all the twists and turns coming from miles away - but it was well-written and it presented a very well-illustrated portrait of Iran.

The Weekly Television Show I Want To Simultaneously Last Forever And Come To A Hurried Conclusion. Lost. It's driving me nuts. I want answers, people.

The Weekly Week. In case you didn't know, it's National Procrastination Week. I would have told you earlier but, well, I didn't get around to it.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. I'm going with the fine people of New York state who cannot for the life of them seem to find a governor who isn't sleeping with a high-priced hooker or surrounding himself with criminals. Bet Schwarzenegger doesn't look so bad now, does he?

The Weekly Question from My Daughter. What's your middle name?

Posted by Chris at March 5, 2010 6:57 AM
Comments

I'm rather grateful that I never got into Lost, actually. And my middle name is Elizabeth.

Posted by: Heather at March 5, 2010 7:06 AM

Sort of makes me glad I left NY when I did. Rebecca.

Posted by: rougeneck at March 5, 2010 7:30 AM

Word will definitely drive you crazy. As a tech writer I use Word all day, every day so I'd consider myself an expert user. Yet I have to deal with something wonky that takes up way too much of my time almost every day.

Posted by: Carolyn at March 5, 2010 7:46 AM

It's definitely a tough time to be living in NY. And sort of embarrassing, too. I actually had a chance to talk to Paterson when he first took office. I had much higher hopes for him. What is they say about power corrupting....

And my middle name is Lynn.

Posted by: Traci at March 5, 2010 8:15 AM

Don't let Schwarzenegger fool you. From what I've heard he's had more affairs than Clinton, and a long line of women who are ready to confess to the well-known secret. But, yeah, NY - how hard can it be?

My middle name is Brooks - I didn't have a middle name growing up, but when I got married I added my maiden name as my middle.

Posted by: Jessie at March 5, 2010 8:27 AM

My middle name is Varinia. My first name is a family name that is very lovely, but I never identified with. So, even though I know it is my name, I don't really feel it is "me". Yea, I'm complicated like that.
NY... dude. Just, dude.

Posted by: varinia at March 5, 2010 8:32 AM

I could never get into Lost for some reason.
My middle name is Elaine.

Posted by: Michelle at March 5, 2010 8:43 AM

My middle name is Jo :)

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at March 5, 2010 8:47 AM

My middle name is Leigh. Yes, the female spelling. It was parents idea of being trendy.

Posted by: COD at March 5, 2010 9:09 AM

Ugh Lost you are killing me, but I just can't quit you! Too far in now, I can't even imagine, the last couple of episodes are gonna be jam packed, I hope!

Middle name: Nicole - I have always loved my middle name. My dad picked out my whole name. He's a retired firefighter and when my mom was pregnant with me they had a field trip come through the firehouse and there was a little girl named Tracy who he thought was adorable, so he asked her name and it was Tracy Nicole, luckily my mom went for it!

Posted by: Tracy H at March 5, 2010 9:12 AM

My middle name is Jewel. My father said he wanted to call my "Rock-head" but settled on Jewel instead. I've always considered it sort of a waste because my first name is Maribeth (two names already, parents!) and then because they hadn't tormented me enough with that, they gave me this weird middle name, Jewel.
I tell people all the time. Give your kids user friendly names! I'd always wished my name had been Susan or something simple like that.

Posted by: Maribeth at March 5, 2010 9:18 AM

Eileen. Ugh. I hate it. Not because it's so awful, but because it makes my initals spell a word. Don't do that to your kids, people.

I'm having the same problem with Lost. I want answers! But I don't want it to end yet! But I'm tired of not knowing! But I'm not going to have anything to watch!

Posted by: Fraulein N at March 5, 2010 9:21 AM

Hi, my name is Julie Lyn and I don't watch Lost. I think they're gonna make me move to Canada pretty soon for that.

Posted by: Julie at March 5, 2010 9:23 AM

McClain.

Posted by: Brad at March 5, 2010 9:24 AM

Middle name: Jayne

Posted by: Kim at March 5, 2010 9:26 AM

Middle name is Michele.

And I gave up on Lost about 2 seasons ago...am I still allowed to read here ;-)

Posted by: Diane at March 5, 2010 9:33 AM

My middle name is Shane.

Posted by: Kristy at March 5, 2010 9:38 AM

Jo-Lynn. And Julie, people are Lost crazy in Canada as well.

Posted by: Heather at March 5, 2010 9:40 AM

My middle name USED to be Jo. When I got married, I dropped the Jo and changed my middle name to my maiden name, so now it is Powell.

Posted by: Kris H. at March 5, 2010 9:54 AM

Susan.

And I think I might take up the life of a high priced hooker. I could get rich AND famous by sleeping with political figures.

Posted by: k8 at March 5, 2010 10:00 AM

Elizabeth. I still have trouble writing it. The "z" in the middle comes out looking weird.

Our fearless governator has a long history of alleged sexual harassment and indiscretion. Our elections are coming up soon though and I have a horrible feeling we'll stay Republican and both candidates will be far worse than Arnold.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at March 5, 2010 10:15 AM

I'm with ya on the Lost business. Sooooo good and yet infuriating.

My middle name is England. It was originally a last name I was given through adoption, so I moved it to the middle when I got married.

Posted by: Gwen at March 5, 2010 10:41 AM

Our governor doesn't sleep around (as far as we know). He's too busy flying around the country laying plans for a presidential run in 2012; he's rarely in the state long enough to do any local hanky-panky.

And my middle name is Fredrick (very German family name)

Posted by: J at March 5, 2010 10:45 AM

My middle name is Maria. Have a great weekend!

Posted by: dasiana at March 5, 2010 10:47 AM

According to my daughter's preschool, Monday is MIDDLE NAME PRIDE DAY. (Tomorrow is Oreo Cookie Day, btw).

Anne. Like nearly every other female in the 70s (seems like most parents picked from Anne, Lynn or Marie).

Posted by: Sarah at March 5, 2010 10:58 AM

For Mia's enjoyment you can tell her all of ours, since we know her grandma maybe it will amuse her. Me- Leigh, David- Yehudah, Isabel-Jean, Jacob-Edmund. All of our middle names are after someone special except mine, my parents were just 70's hippies.

Posted by: stacie at March 5, 2010 11:16 AM

I'm all about getting a decent governor up here!!
At least in our defense, we didn't vote for this one!!!

Posted by: Rose Winters at March 5, 2010 11:28 AM

My middle name is Annette.

Posted by: Katie at March 5, 2010 11:51 AM

sue.

Posted by: kami at March 5, 2010 12:22 PM

So you're saying it's not going to get better any time soon? I never watched Lost but have been catching up with my Netflix direct (love it) and am now in Season 4. I've enjoyed the show but must agree that it's title is appropriate. I was hoping for some clarification before I finally catch up with the shows that are now airing. Guess not.

Posted by: Teresa at March 5, 2010 1:49 PM

Lee.

Posted by: Caleal at March 5, 2010 2:14 PM

Alvin

Posted by: Rex at March 5, 2010 2:44 PM

Oh you're not the only one wanting Lost answers. They are slowing getting there this season though. Still a lot of loose ends to tie up before the finale mind you.

Posted by: Kevin Spencer at March 5, 2010 3:18 PM

Maureen.

Well, it was Maureen, until I got married. Then I moved my maiden name to my middle name slot and dumped my middle name, until I finally had a daughter of my own to take my middle name for me. So now SHE has the middle name Maureen. And maybe someday she will pass it on to her daughter. If women still take a new last name when they get married by the time she gets married.

See, Mia, we live in a complicated, misogynistic world. So lots of women are choosing to not change their last name, so that they don't appear to be the property of their husbands. But then, it is very complicated when you want to pick up photos, or make a reservation at a restaurant. You're never really sure what name to say. And sometimes the doctor's office doesn't believe that you're the mommy of the child with the different last name. And in the worst cases, teachers might treat you like you and your spouse must be divorced. So it is nice to just have one family name. But then you get stupid questions from people, like, "Oh, that's a nice last name. What nationality are you?" "Oh, it's my husband's name. It's a Slovak name." "Oh, you're Slovak? So am I!" "No. I'm not." "But your name is Slovak!" And so it is a decision every woman must make.

(Note to Chris--you don't have to read that last part to Mia if you don't want to.)

Posted by: Sabrina at March 5, 2010 3:28 PM

Star. No, really.

The boys are James and Peter. Baby3 does not yet have a first name, let alone a middle one.

Posted by: Lisa at March 5, 2010 3:30 PM

I have never seen a single episode of Lost.

My middle name is Noel. And if anyone starts singing, I will cut you. :OP

Posted by: jen at March 5, 2010 4:51 PM

Virginia
Our governor doesn't have to sleep around, Kwame did enough for our image:-)

Posted by: Dee at March 5, 2010 4:58 PM

Middle name used to be Lynn (yes, a child of the 70s) but when I got married I moved my maiden name to my middle name. My middle name is now Roeschenthaler--just glad I don't have to write it out every time I sign my name.

Posted by: Krush at March 5, 2010 5:54 PM

Not much to say this Friday, other than TGIF. Middle name Michelle, by the way.

Posted by: Christine at March 5, 2010 6:15 PM

Will I be deleted if I say I've never watched even one minute of Lost, ever? I'm just not really a TV kind of person...
Oh, and my deeply uninspiring middle name is Helen (which would have been my first name, except my mother decided that Helens have dark hair and, as I'm a redhead, it wouldn't do. How she ever thought she and my father would ever have a brunette is beyond me... Vikings one and all... But I prefer my real first name, even if no one here in France can say it/spell it).

Posted by: Kirsty at March 5, 2010 7:57 PM

Middle name = Brady (my mom's maiden name - I always wanted to go by "Brady" but it sounds stupid with my last name...and I always get stuff address to Melissa Brandy Lastname and that just pisses me off).

I live in Florida and lord knows how screwed up we are politically so I can totally sympathize with New Yorkers.

Posted by: Melissa at March 5, 2010 7:59 PM

So glad to hear I have an excuse for this week's procrastination, but what about all the others?

Campbell. Took a lot of flack in school for having a 'boy's name', but it was my grandfather's and father's middle name, and my mum was a 60's feminist, so I got it too.

Was hoping to give it to my son, but his first name's Cameron (after grandfather and uncle on his dad's side) and Cam-Cam? So it'll be up to my little brother (who also has it) to pass it on when he gets around to it.

Posted by: Jo MacD at March 5, 2010 8:07 PM

National Procrastination Week?! Then why was I up at 5am every day this week except today when I ended up staying late for work??????

memo!

Posted by: Poppy at March 5, 2010 9:00 PM

it depends on who you ask, my fathers side of the family call me tailynn with no middle name, my mothers side (who hates my fathers side and must be difficult) split it up and call me tai and never use the lynn part. It is split on my birth certificate. I guess they should have known then the relationship wasn't going to last. Rumor has it my name was changed three times before I left the hospital. My mom named me, my father then went and changed it, and then my mom changed it back!

So Mia my middle name is Lynn.

Posted by: tailynn at March 5, 2010 9:06 PM

Wilma.

I hated it growing up, but now that I know where it comes from I've embraced it (my father's mother's mother was Wilma). Was hell growing up with it though, got called Wilma Flintstone a lot.

Posted by: Judy at March 5, 2010 9:26 PM

I don't have a middle name. My full first name is Ann-Marie. Dad figured the hyphen was enough to contend with.

Posted by: Annie at March 5, 2010 9:33 PM

Anne used to be my middle name, then once I got married, like Maureen, I used my maiden name as my middle name.

Posted by: coolchick at March 5, 2010 10:48 PM

I don't have a middle name... how lame is that?

Posted by: Alejandra at March 6, 2010 9:04 AM

Sick of Lost also. There are many other ways that I could torture myself. Middle name is Michele.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at March 7, 2010 1:44 PM

My middle name is Kathleen, which is a nice normal (family) name...as opposed to my first name, which is unusual. I'm named after an Elton John song.

Posted by: Akofaolain at March 8, 2010 9:59 AM

Lost got too complicated for me when we missed some episodes 2 seasons ago... never picked it back up, though I may get the DVDs from netflix... middle name is Lee - I actually kept my middle name when I got married... :)

Posted by: Sue R at March 8, 2010 12:09 PM

As a graphic designer, Word is my worst enemy.

My middle name's Leone. So is my mom's.

Posted by: Amy at March 9, 2010 4:59 PM

I'm with you on Lost. If they somehow cop out and don't give me all the answers by the end of the series I'm going to kill my television.
My middle name is Danger...wait, that's not right. It's Loren.

Posted by: jessica fantastica at March 10, 2010 5:46 AM

Some time before, I did need to buy a car for my firm but I didn't have enough money and couldn't order anything. Thank goodness my fellow adviced to try to take the loans from creditors. Thence, I acted that and was satisfied with my consolidation loan.

Posted by: Margo33Harmon at September 5, 2010 9:34 PM