March 18, 2010

The Weeklies #124

The Weekly Physical Condition. I gave my son life and he gave me his cold. It hardly seems right. Good thing he's cute since Mia's the only one of us who's slept the past four days.

The Weekly Awesome Video. One guy, one duet, a bazillion television theme songs. Check it out.

The Weekly Time Waster. Lateral (Thanks Dawn!)

The Weekly Worst Television Idea Ever. Animal Planet has made the wise decision to give Mike Tyson his own television show. What's it about? Pigeon racing, of course. Yeah, that'll be a hit.

The Weekly Read. I just finished No Survivors by Tom Cain. His first - The Accident Man - was just so damn entertaining, I was really looking forward to reading the second. Cain writes about Samuel Carver, a guy who makes accidents happen to bad people. Of course, while doing all this bad stuff to others, bad stuff happened to him. And No Survivors is all about Carver getting out of trouble. It wasn't as strong as the first but it was still a very well-written, fast paced and terribly addicting thriller.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Apparently Sandra Bullock's husband is screwing around on her. So she left. Yeah, that sucks. But as I was reading the story on People's site, I skipped down to the comments section and found something that sucked worse - a comment from someone named Rosemary. She wrote: It's the same situation as Halle Berry, Hilary Swank, Reese Witherspoon and Kate Winslet. The women win the Academy Award then they split from their husbands.Why? I think for 2 reasons: The men feel upstaged by their more successful wives or the men want or need a wife, not an equal partner, primary breadwinner or Super Woman/FemiNazi. We live in the 21st century but when it comes to family, tradition still rules (thank GOD). Women may need or want to work. But if they put work ahead of family - when they choose a golden statue over family, there is a very good chance those families may be torn apart. Call it right or wrong - it's just how it is. When you marry, you must decide what's more important - your career or your spouse and family. And if Jesse was unfaithful to Sandra, then ponder this: Maybe Sandra wasn't home enough. Maybe he's a pig - I don't know; I wasn't there. But he was unfaithful and another family is ripped - because of a woman's career. She's a FOOL.

The Weekly Question From Mia. What color door do you have?*

* On Tuesday night, I sat down and read her all the answers you guys gave last Friday. She loved it.

Posted by Chris at March 18, 2010 7:20 AM
Comments

Dear Mia: Hi. Our front door is pink. We are very lucky. We are going to the park now. Hope you have a good weekend. Say hi to your Mom, Dad and Owen for me. Bye. Jen

Posted by: Jen at March 19, 2010 7:33 AM

I just knew Sandra was a pig at home.

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at March 19, 2010 7:59 AM

Oh wait, he's a pig? No way. Its that mean nasty successful Sandra that ruined everything.

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at March 19, 2010 8:00 AM

That Rosemary person is whacked. I don't even know how to respond to lunacy like her comment. Wow. She really just is not grounded in reality.

Weekly Answer: The front door to my house is dark brown and the door to my apartment is sort of a peachy color on the hallway side and white on the living room side.

Posted by: erin at March 19, 2010 8:00 AM

Hi Mia!

Our front door is dark red, our back door is white with a big window in it, and our doggy door is grey. All the other doors in our house are white.

Have a great day!

Kellie

Posted by: Kellie at March 19, 2010 8:18 AM

I love these questions from Mia!
Hi Mia,
Our door is burgundy red with a window at the top. I like our red door because red is my favorite color. Hope you have a fun weekend with lots of outside time!

--Beth

Posted by: Beth at March 19, 2010 8:27 AM

Rosemary, tutut, you don't have enough information to make that statement. You'd have to compare the rate of divorce among female oscar winners to the divorce rate among male oscar winners first. I would not be surprised if that would be equally high and whoops there goes your argument.

Sorry, my academic side coming out. :-)

Mia, my door is dark blue with a window on top. Nothing fancy, just the colour my apartment building choose. If I could choose myself it would be bright purple.

Posted by: mikkie at March 19, 2010 8:34 AM

I think the Hollywood divorce rate is absurdly high, anyway, right? And like Mikkie said, it's probably just as high among male Oscar winners. Although I do agree with ONE thing Rosemary said, and that's that a woman shouldn't put her career above her family - however, I think that holds true for men as well.
And to Miss Mia - My door is plain old white, but it has a little arched window with a white lacy curtain. And my landlords' door, which is right next to mine (as I live in their basement suite) is dark blue. I like theirs better because it's more colourful!

Posted by: Heather at March 19, 2010 8:40 AM

My front door is coral but I'm planning on repainting it this summer, does Mia have any suggestions? The rest of my house is tan/white/brown. And I forgot to post last week that my hair is now to the middle of my back.

Posted by: Jody at March 19, 2010 8:45 AM

I'm not even commenting on Rosemary's response... because, seriously?? Moron.

I have four doors to my house. That's 4 times the opportunity to lock myself out. Which happens quite often.
Two of those doors are burgundy. Which goes great with the sagey green with cream trim house. And the other two are black. Oh, and my daughter now wants to be a ballerina princess like Miss Mia in the 'puter. ;-)

Posted by: varinia at March 19, 2010 8:49 AM

Woman's inhumanity to women. We are our own worst enemies. Ugh.

Mia, my front door is dark blue! My bedroom door is white :)

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at March 19, 2010 9:12 AM

Hi Mia-

Some of my doors are white, some are black and white (how boring is that?). My doors at my work are glass, but you can't see in from outside. I like watching the ducks, bunnies and squirrels looking at their reflections in the glass and they can't see me watching them!!!!

Posted by: Dawn at March 19, 2010 9:24 AM

White and boring.

Posted by: Dee at March 19, 2010 9:29 AM

Mia - my door is white, and very old, with an iron doorknocker and a special big peephole door that opens so I can see who is knocking. It's a pretty neat door.

Posted by: Susan at March 19, 2010 9:30 AM

Dear Mia,
My front door is white, I know, this is boring! But my back doors are clear glass so I can see outside in my back yard all the time. I can watch my dogs play and run and this is a lot of fun!
Have a great weekend!
Love,
The Dackel Princess, Maribeth

Posted by: Maribeth at March 19, 2010 10:01 AM

Tell Mia I used to have a pink door...for a LONG time...then my husband and neighbors held an intervention and I have a plain tan door. However, there is most likely painting the house in the future and who knows...maybe I'll get a green door!

Posted by: daisy at March 19, 2010 10:01 AM

The door to my apartment is wooden. But I have a sign on it that says, "I'm having a good day. Don't ruin it."

Posted by: k8 at March 19, 2010 10:08 AM

Hi Miss Mia: Our front door is milk chocolate Easter Bunny brown.

Happy Weekend!

Posted by: steff at March 19, 2010 11:01 AM

Hello lovely Mia, Our front door is a beautiful aqua color very much like the water in a great big swimming pool on a hot summer day.

Posted by: Stephanie at March 19, 2010 11:09 AM

Regarding the Sandra Bullock thing, you never know what goes on in someone else's relationship, but that is a pretty lame comment.

Mia, my front door is white, but has a big door knocker that still has the name of the people we bought the house from. Our back door is wooden, but has a big glass window so we can see our beautiful back yard that sometimes has deer wandering through!

Posted by: metawizard at March 19, 2010 11:18 AM

Mia: My door to my apartment is black. The door to my building is bronze with glass. If you want, I can send you a picture. It's very pretty.

Posted by: alektra at March 19, 2010 11:28 AM

Regardless of what's going on behind the scenes, can we agree that "she's not home enough" is just an excuse. We all choose our own actions.

Mia, we have two front doors (crazy, I know). When we bought our house both doors were an unpretty shade of red. One of them was very old and leaky, so we replaced it with a pretty white one (it has a big glass piece in the center with a flower-like design). The other one... is still red, but I'm hoping to paint it once it gets warm enough. What color is your door?

Posted by: Kelly at March 19, 2010 11:49 AM

our front door is black but i wish it were chartreuse!

Posted by: kati at March 19, 2010 11:56 AM

My front door is a dark burgandy colored door with an all glass storm door in front of it so the door can be seen. It is a pain because my dog can see out and barks at everyone that walks by, which irratates me.

Posted by: Trish at March 19, 2010 12:36 PM

Mia my front door is dark red with a blue peacock feather wreath on it all the doors inside are plain wood, but my back door to the garage is a beautiful green color that I love and soon my house will be that color!

Posted by: sarah at March 19, 2010 12:41 PM

That Rosemary lady...wow...what to say about that? I mean, aside from the fact that it infuriates me!

Hi Mia! The doors that lead into my house are tan (to match the garage). I wanted to paint them bright blue, but let people talk me out of it. My daughters door is a painted with chalkboard paint on the inside!

Posted by: at March 19, 2010 12:44 PM

Mia -- Our front door is forest green and our garage door is dark brown. (I'll take a photo if you'd like and email it to your dad.)

Posted by: Nat at March 19, 2010 2:15 PM

It's brown, but I really want a red one. Unfortunately, red would look awful on this door and frankly, a red door would look awful with the paint on out house.

Posted by: Brooke at March 19, 2010 2:27 PM

Hi Mia-

We have two front doors, and they are both white. In fact every door in our house is white. Maybe we need to paint some of them. My daughter asked the other day if we could paint her door pink. :-)

Posted by: Stephanie at March 19, 2010 2:50 PM

Riiiiiight, because it's excusable to cheat if you're unhappy in your marriage? No, how about get out of your marriage then think about other people.

And to Mia, my front door is ugly brown. We wish we could paint it. Bridget wants it to be pink or purple.

Posted by: donna at March 19, 2010 4:32 PM

Oh, Rosemary. May your husband never cheat on you.

Mia, my door is turquoise. I absolutely love it!

Posted by: Mindy at March 19, 2010 4:38 PM

Uh, wow. That commenter sounds kinda bitter. I sincerely doubt that Jesse cheated on Sandra because of her career. It does take TWO to make a marriage work.

Mia, my door is white. I wish it were something interesting, like dark blue. What color door would YOU have if you could choose?

Posted by: Scattered Mom at March 19, 2010 4:43 PM

That Rosemary...oh my what a stupid comment.

Mia, we have a white door! Have a great weekend!

Posted by: cyndy at March 19, 2010 4:56 PM

Hi Mia! The door to our building is bright blue and the door to our flat is wooden.

Posted by: Katherine at March 19, 2010 4:59 PM

Tan with pink undertones...It's a brand new door with Craftsman / Frank Lloyd Wright inspired glass with black caning.

Posted by: Krush at March 19, 2010 5:24 PM

Sadly, our door is white. But let Mia know that it is pink with silver sparkles :)

Posted by: Stephanie at March 19, 2010 6:03 PM

Front door is a light green. Laughing, cause I had to go look. Nearly 2 years in this house and I didn't remember.

Rosemary is out of touch, old fashioned and mean. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Hoping the story isn't true, Sandra seemed so happy with him.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at March 19, 2010 6:12 PM

Red. Oh, and BOOOO Rosemary. That is not "how it is" in my family. Everyone is expected to be faithful to everyone else, and everyone gets an equal chance to be awesome in life. That's how it is.

Posted by: Laura at March 19, 2010 6:31 PM

Hi Mia!

Our front door here in New Jersey is currently white, but we are going to be painting it red very soon!

What color is your front door?

Posted by: Dani at March 19, 2010 6:46 PM

That comment is unbelievable. Nothing justifies cheating. Perhaps Sandra didn't put her family first, but obviously neither did he!

Anyway, tell Mia we have a white front door, but our last apartment had a PURPLE front door. How sweet is that?!

Posted by: April at March 19, 2010 8:00 PM

Rosemary's comment made me too mad to comment on it.

Hi from Sydney, Australia, Mia! Our front door is wooden, and down the bottom are lots of scratches where our big, black dog 'knocks' on the door to ask to be let inside after he's finished taking himself for a run along the beach every evening.

Posted by: Jo MacD at March 19, 2010 9:17 PM

Hi Mia! My front door is huge! It's a dark brown, and all wood. I'm not sure what kind of wood though. My two favorite things about it are (1) that is has a rectangular window in it, so you can see who's there and (2) that it has a lion's head door knocker. We used to have a second front door, it was made of tiny windows, but my dogs were really excited to see my husband one day and pushed a big hole in one of the tiny windows so we had to put it away. What color is your front door??
Andrea

Posted by: Andrea at March 19, 2010 9:22 PM

Dear Mia:

Our door is the color of bricks on the outside. The inside is gray. Because it is metal, we hang magnets on the inside - and my kids like to spell words with the letter magnets.

Posted by: sarah at March 19, 2010 9:48 PM

I live in an apartment building. The door to the building is clear plexiglass with iron trim. The door to the lobby is a lacquered brown with a glass window. The door to my home is lacquered brown on the outside to the hallway and white on the inside of my home.

Posted by: Poppy at March 19, 2010 11:32 PM

Wow. That Rosemary, she seems a right catch, no?

And our door is generally slate blue, although these days it's also a little bit of evergreen because we've been glacially slow in taking down the Christmas wreath. Well, I did qualify it as 'glacially' slow, now didn't I? And just a smidge of holiday red.

Posted by: lisa at March 20, 2010 2:17 AM

Hi Mia,
Good question. My front door is bright blue, and we keep a dried eucalyptus wreath on it. I love it. Anna and Emmy's daddy hates it. What do you think?

Posted by: Sabrina at March 20, 2010 6:38 AM

Um, so according to Rosemary's thinking, if the husband can't handle his wife's success that's the woman's fault? Right...

Hi Mia,

My front door is painted black. It has three small windows at the top to let some light into our house and has an old fashioned brass knocker on the front. What colour is your front door? What colour do you wish it was?

Posted by: suze at March 20, 2010 7:24 AM

My front door is a forest green but it's mostly glass because it's an old 12 pane french door that doesn't keep out the cold but I won't get rid of it because it's been with the house since it was built in the 1920s.
Ahhhh, the comments section. Sometimes the comments are more enlightening than the article itself. Whether I'm reading a People or a local newspaper article online I have to go to the Comments section. That's where the fools come out to play...

Posted by: NancyJ at March 20, 2010 8:23 AM

That Schadenfreude is pretty bad.

And Mia - my front door is dark green with a window and a special little door at the bottom that my dogs use whenever they want so they can go into the front yard and bark at the squirrels.

Posted by: Heather at March 20, 2010 11:23 AM

Miss Mia, my front door is maroon, which is like red if you didn't already know, and it has a golden handle. It has four rectangle-shaped windows. The best part is the pretty film (kind of like wallpaper) on the glass of each of those windows, which make them look like stained glass. Stained glass can be found in some churches, some museums, and probably even in some libraries and schools! :)

Posted by: RzDrms at March 20, 2010 7:19 PM

I had an awesome comment about my door here but I missed the antispam so it got eaten by the internet.

Sandra shouldn't have to choose between a career and a faithful husband. If he can't deal with her being the breadwinner, tough crap for him.

Mia, my house has all kinds of doors; a brown on the front, white/blue on the back, and even an entire pink room with a pink door (sadly, I was not consulted when prior owners chose the colors or decor!).

Posted by: Melissa at March 21, 2010 11:37 PM

Hi Mia,

Our front door is white and it has a little brass bagpipe player as a door knocker. The back doors and the balcony door are glass.

Posted by: del at March 22, 2010 7:28 AM

Dear Mia,
Right now our doors are dark green (we have two front doors right next to each other.) When it gets warmer outside, I am going to paint them dark, dark purple. We like to stand out in our neighborhood.

Be good and take care of your daddy. I heard he is sick!
Your friend,
Amy

I'm not even going to dignify that wackadoo's comments in People with a response. Nutball!

Posted by: zanie at March 22, 2010 1:27 PM

Hi Mia,

All the doors in my house are white now. But when I was around 8 or 9, my mom let me pick out colors to paint our front door and front steps. I chose bright bubblegum pink for the door and bright turquoise for the steps. We called them the looney toons colors. She kept them that way until she sold the house, which was about 12 years! Fun right?

Laraine

Posted by: Laraine at March 22, 2010 2:08 PM

Dear Mia

We have lots of doors in our house. Almost all of the doors are a dark chocolate brown (think chocolate Easter Bunny brown). On the back of our front door, we have put up a pretty cloth with the Irish Blessing printed on it (you can ask your dad about that), which was a gift from my friend in England. Our doors leading to the back garden (they are double-doors) are large glass panels in a wooden frame - it lets a lot of light into our house. My kitchen door is a stable door (the top & bottom pieces open separately), and the top part has a big glass panel in it. The glass is covered by a lace curtain that has a dolphin pattern on it. We must still put the little cat door in place for our cat (Max) and his door is white on the outside with a see-through flap.

Posted by: Delia at March 23, 2010 3:19 AM

Some time before, I did need to buy a good house for my firm but I did not earn enough money and couldn't buy something. Thank heaven my mother proposed to take the business loans at creditors. Hence, I did that and was satisfied with my short term loan.

Posted by: LelaBenson24 at July 16, 2010 5:40 AM