March 26, 2010

The Weeklies #125

The Weekly Health Situation. Cold? Check, still here. Toe? Check, still broken.

The Weekly Beer. Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

The Weekly Browser Change. This week I did something which probably sounds pretty lame but wasn't to me. I switched browsers. I got really tired of Firefox's bloat and took Google Chrome for a spin. So far? It's pretty darn awesome. And much easier on my computer.

The Weekly Read. The Virgin by Erik Barmack was not a good book. The premise - a guy gets himself on a reality show the point of which is, Bachelor-like, to be selected by a virgin to be her first - was silly. The book started off well enough. The problem was that the main character, the one in whom we were supposed to have some interest, was highly unlikeable and it was never clear if this was the author's intent or just a product of poor writing. In fact, the only redeeming part of the book was the way it made me think about the ways in which reality television is so obviously manipulated. But you could probably come up with those yourself. Give the book a pass.

The Weekly Music. On a whim, I picked up Broken Bells' self titled debut. It's a collaboration between Danger Mouse and The Shins' front man James Mercer. It's catchy and endearing the way you'd expect anything from The Shins to be. But the inclusion of Danger Mouse - and his hook-laden electronic flourishes and subtle beats - makes Broken Bells about as irresistible as an Oreo cookie and a cold glass of milk. It's not music that'll change the world but it's good, original, and an absolute pleasure to listen to. Its the perfect spring album.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Like just about everyone else this week, I'm going to go with Sandra Bullock. Hubby cheated on her with a tattooed white supremacist stripper. And that white supremacist part was probably the only reason Tiger hadn't banged her too.

The Weekly Political Moment. I love crusty old Joe Biden. I really do. I think he's a good guy. A guy who needs to know when to keep his mouth shut, but a good guy. Evidence? This. Yes, on live TV and in reference to the health care bill, Biden told President Obama This is a big fucking deal. Damned if he wasn't right.

The Weekly Opportunity to Pick on a Former President. Bush and Clinton - working together to raise money for Haitian earthquake relief - traveled to Haiti together. There was almost a very nice moment in which the two shook hands with the Haitian people. Then Bush took the hand he'd recently used for shaking and wiped it all over Bill Clinton's shirt. Maybe Kanye was right. Either that or Bush's next charity venture will be for Haitian Cootie relief.

The Weekly Question from Mia. What was your favorite show when you were a kid that didn't have scary parts?

Posted by Chris at March 26, 2010 7:02 AM
Comments

Mia, my favorite show was Strawberry Shortcake. :o)

Posted by: Emily at March 26, 2010 8:26 AM

I loved watching The Magic Garden.

Posted by: Traci at March 26, 2010 8:32 AM

Mia, I didn't really watch tv shows when I was little, but we bought movies. I would watch The Little Mermaid every day. That's the thing I remember watching the most.

Posted by: Tess at March 26, 2010 8:45 AM

Miabean, we didn't have t.v. when I was your age. We listened to a thing called the radio and used our imaginations. My mom and dad wouldn't let us listen to the scary shows but sometimes my younger brother and I were sneaky and heard a few of them. There was a show called The Inner Sanctum which started with the sound of a creaking door. That scared me. And a show called The Shadow. "What evil lurks in the heart of man? The Shadow knows." Tell your daddy I'm sure he can find them on the internet somewhere.

We were allowed to stay up one weeknight and listen to a western called The Lone Ranger which we thought was exciting but I don't remember it being scary. I listened to baseball games (Brooklyn Dodgers) and a lot of music. My folks loved opera and classical music and so did I. Not all the time though. On clear nights, I could hear the country stations in Wheeling, WV (WWVA) and Grand Ol Opry in Nashville, TN (WMS) from my home in upstate New York late at night on my portable radio. I would read in bed with a flashlight and listen to the singers until I fell asleep. I wonder if my folks knew but let me do it anyhow.

Have a wonderful weekend. Hope your daddy is feeling better by now.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at March 26, 2010 8:46 AM

Just noticed I wished you a great weekend twice. I'm not awake yet. Headed for coffee now.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at March 26, 2010 8:49 AM

I made the Firefox to Chrome switch a few weeks ago, but I ended up switching back. There wasn't anything major wrong with Chrome, but there were a lot of little niggling things that added up to a deal breaker. One thing I noticed was that Chrome actually uses *more* memory, it's just split up into a bunch of different processes. I don't know how that makes it seem faster, but it does. Some of the other little things were no FTP extension available (like FireFTP), no print preview, and the final deal breaker, no way to open a file instead of save it. That's the one that really bothered me. If there were solutions to those items, I'd probably go back.

Posted by: Jaime at March 26, 2010 8:56 AM

Howdy Doody. Rootie Kazootie. Mickey Mouse Club. Soupy Sales. Kukla Fran and Ollie. The Lone Ranger. Happy Felton's Knothole Gang. And Walter Cronkite with the Evening News.

Posted by: Marshall Karp at March 26, 2010 8:59 AM

I'm so glad to hear someone say something nice about Chrome! I like it, but I hear so many negative comments I was starting to think I was an idiot not to hate it. (Of course, my main reason for using it is because my husband uses Firefox and it was a pain to log him out of all our shared sites so I could log in. So that's pretty lame.)

Mia, there was a My Little Pony show when I was little that I loved. There was also one called Jem and the Holograms that was completely awesome; it was about a girl rock band. Ask your mom and dad if they remember it!

Posted by: Julie at March 26, 2010 9:09 AM

"And that white supremacist part was probably the only reason Tiger hadn't banged her too." Hahahaha! This is hilarious. And, you know, probably actually true as well.

I don't think any of the shows I watched when I was a kid had scary parts. That's probably still true; I'm a giant chicken.

Posted by: Fraulein N at March 26, 2010 9:10 AM

I know nothing about browsers, but I did switch to Google Chrome and I like it. I really do. I had no idea that a different browser could make my life so much easier. Seriously. I know. I'm an idiot. But whatever. I catch on when I catch on.

I love that the vice president said that on live TV. I do. It means he's a real person and that's the kind of person I want in government. Someone who shits and swears and fucks up.

Little House on the Prairie. But not the one where Ma gets blood poisoning. I'm still haunted by that one.

Posted by: k8 at March 26, 2010 9:48 AM

I loved the Muppet Show SO MUCH that I bought the Time-Life 15 disk set of shows after watching one too many infomercials, and now I make my KIDS watch them. ... just so I can, of course! My favorite Muppets were Animal, Fozzy and Gonzo. Still are.

Posted by: Kim at March 26, 2010 10:02 AM

Favorite TV show as a kid for Mia: "The Muppett Show" and "Happy Days"

For your Schadenfreude, I am hoping that you meant Jesse James and not Sandra Bullock. She is the victim, not the moron.

Hope you are feeling better soon--both the cold and the toe.

Happy Weekend!!

Posted by: Krush at March 26, 2010 10:24 AM

The Littlest Giant and Mr. Dressup, when I was Mia's age, and not too long after, Full House.

Posted by: Heather at March 26, 2010 10:30 AM

My favorite show was Bewitched, I wanted to be Tabitha...come to think of it, I still do at times lol!

Posted by: laineyDid at March 26, 2010 10:38 AM

Oh....I have to add H.R. PuffNstuff, loved that show!

Posted by: LaineyDid at March 26, 2010 10:42 AM

Tell Mia I loved LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE.

Posted by: kalisa at March 26, 2010 10:43 AM

poor sandra. i think she's a good person and well, men are dicks. no offense.

and for mia: gumby! gumbyyyyyyy!

Posted by: bri at March 26, 2010 11:09 AM

Dear Mia,

I loved 'The Andy Griffith Show' when I was a kid. Aunt Bea's food always looked so good and I love Deputy Barney Fife.

Love,

Coral

Chris....I completely agree with about Broken Bells.... I am smitten! (This week you have permission to call them Broken Toes. BWAHHH HAAAA! I am funny on Fridays!)

Posted by: Coral at March 26, 2010 11:15 AM

I see those Sierra Nevada beers in my local BevMo but have never bought one. I think I'll fix that situation this weekend. How about tonight? Yes yes, tonight is a fine idea.

Posted by: Kevin Spencer at March 26, 2010 11:26 AM

Dukes of Hazzard, booyah!

Posted by: Brooke at March 26, 2010 11:44 AM

Only one show? well i'll give you a few.. ;)

Muppets
Dukes of Hazzard
Price is right
Amazing Stories
Buck Rogers (bedebedebede)

Broken Bells is awesome. Love all the songs I've heard.

have you checked out The current yet? www.thecurrent.org ?

Posted by: molly at March 26, 2010 11:49 AM

Mia, I loved Little House on the Prairie, Banana Splits, the Monkees and just about anything that was created or produced by Sid and Marty Krofft!

Have a great weekend!

Posted by: cyndy at March 26, 2010 12:09 PM

That Tiger line made me guffaw... hahaha... good one. Why anyone is surprised at Jesse James is beyond me. He's reputed to be a bad boy, and oh, look there he is.

As for Bush... I'm not sure what to think about that. I'd like to say it was a friendly touch or something to Clinton but that looked like a wipe to me.

Non-scary? Hmmmm... Happy Days.

Posted by: Nat at March 26, 2010 12:35 PM

Dear Mia -

When I was 4 years old, my very favorite shows were Captain Kangaroo, The Muppet Show, and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

Sometimes, Wild Kingdom really scared me, when a wolf would chase a bunny or a deer. And then I would hide my eyes in my daddy's chest and wrap his arms around me ask him to tell me when it was over so I could watch again.

Posted by: Mindy at March 26, 2010 12:58 PM

I so love that you do a "weekly music" thing also.
I will check out Broken Bells.

PS Hope your toe heals soon.

PSS tell Mia, my fav show at her age was also Captain Kangaroo. But looking back at it now,the characters on there do seem a little scary.

Posted by: SOCCERMOM at March 26, 2010 1:10 PM

Mr. Dressup
Fred Penner
Big Frendly Giant
Inspector Gadget
Muppet Babies

Posted by: Adi at March 26, 2010 1:54 PM

The Dukes of Hazzard!!!
Gummi Bears

Get better soon!! Kick the cold to the curb!

Posted by: Rose Winters at March 26, 2010 2:58 PM

The Golden Girls. Still a favorite today!

Posted by: Stephanie at March 26, 2010 4:30 PM

hmmmm Mia... I always like watching the Muppet Show. Tell dad you need to watch some episodes of the Swedish Chef or Pigs in Space... he'll know what I mean :)

Posted by: stinkerbell at March 26, 2010 4:43 PM

How little? H.R. Puffinstuff, Electric Company, Little House on the Prarie- but some were sad, the Smurfs, Silver Spoons, Facts of Life, maybe I watched too much t.v.

Posted by: stacie at March 26, 2010 7:31 PM

Dear Mia: Thank you for your question this week, I had such fun reading the responses and remembering all the great tv shows from when I was a kid. My absolute favorite of all time is the Gummi Bears. I first decided to date my husband when he not only knew of the Gummi Bears but loved them as much as I did. And we now own the first 3 seasons on DVD and my son (who is 2 on Monday) loves them too. There is magic and adventure and always a great lesson learned without it being preachy or patronizing. It is fun and funny (even for grown-ups, tell your dad we have re-watched them all and they totally stand up) and for someone like me who likes gadgets and puzzles and clever, inventive ways to do things and figure things out, it totally stimulated my imagination. There is a villian (Duke Igthorn) and he has ugly troll henchmen, but they are funny bad guys, they never get it right! I don't think there's anything you would find scary. My husband votes for Gummi Bears too. If you have any pull with Disney could you ask them to put the last 3 seasons out on DVD soon, and maybe reboot the series for today's kids with CG animation? That would be awesome!
Thanks,
Jen and Rob

Posted by: Jen at March 26, 2010 8:04 PM

On Saturday mornings (before Scooby Doo) there was a show hosted by "Captain Bob Cottle" where he would teach you how to draw stuff from nature. Every week he would show off drawings that kids had sent in, too. It was great, but I think it was just a Boston area thing.

And Catherine Wheel is an awesome band.

Posted by: akofaolain at March 26, 2010 9:41 PM

Hey, I have a cold too! I took Tuesday off from work to kick it... but, yah, it's still in the old lungs, throat, nose, and eyeballs. Oh, the seal noises I can make!

Mia asks a tough question. I hope this qualifies: Wonder Woman.

Posted by: Poppy at March 26, 2010 10:02 PM

Mia, I absolutely loved the movie Charlotte's Web (old animated version). I also loved the book, but before I knew how to read it to myself, I loved the movie. And there is nothing really scary in it. But it is sad at the end. The good kind of sad that makes you want to hug your mom and dad and baby brother.
Hope you love it!
Sabrina

Posted by: Sabrina at March 26, 2010 10:40 PM

The part about her and Tiger just cracked me up. Nice work.
I liked Rainbow Brite as a kid :)

Posted by: Heather at March 27, 2010 12:00 AM

i loved scooby doo. but then one day during my nap, i thought there was a skeleton in my closet, so i wasn't allowed to watch scooby doo anymore...

and omg i was dying about what you said re: tiger

Posted by: kati at March 27, 2010 1:27 AM

Mia, sweetie, I loved Mr. Rogers and still do. He was a very nice man who made every person in his world be nice and tried to teach us all that we're all good, no matter what we look like or where we come from.

Chris: As for Bush, here's my optimistic take. It's Haiti. It's heartbreaking. You're seeing people in abject poverty. Anyone, even Bush, whom I never voted for or liked very much, might have that take a toll on them personally. He's not the brightest bulb, but he's never struck me as particularly cruel. Just unaware, and frighteningly so. In that situation, there was no fairy tale he could tell himself. People were in need. He couldn't help them all. He couldn't bring back loved ones or homes.

I know that when I'm in that sort of situation, I need to sometimes touch someone I know to ground myself. Perhaps it was his only way to show emotion without breaking down in front of those people.

It could have been a wipe, but he could have done the wipe more discretely on his own pants.

Posted by: alektra at March 27, 2010 3:39 AM

I suspect the only reason Tiger didn't have a go at her was that Tiger didn't have enough tattoos to attract the crazy woman. Of course, now that she realizes Tiger's a complete bad boy, she'll probably make a beeline for him.

Shows without scary stuff? I'm with you on that. All, and I mean ALL my friends got to watch Dark Shadows in the afternoon (a vampire soap opera in my day) but I was not allowed to watch it because I would have nightmares. But I loved Daniel Boone with Fess Parker, and Batman with Adam West, Jonny Quest cartoons, and later, the Partridge Family and the Monkees.

Posted by: coolchick at March 27, 2010 4:23 AM

Dear Mia,
I loved several shows. "Bewitched", "I Dream of Jeannie" and "The Andy Griffith Show". I also liked "The Carol Burnett Show" because they did a lot of singing and dancing!
Love,
Maribeth
The Dackel Princess

Posted by: Maribeth at March 27, 2010 7:51 AM

My favourite show as a kid was the Muppet Show. It didn't have any really scary parts, even though it was full of monsters and weirdos!

Posted by: Steph at March 27, 2010 9:20 AM