March 15, 2010

Tiny Dancer

This weekend, Mia blew me away. Saturday marked her debut stage performance and she was beautiful, composed, and awesome.

miaballet%20copy_sm.jpg

My daughter is amazing. I know I'm obligated to say that. I'm her dad. But I really, truly mean it. Mia started ballet for the sole purpose of hanging out with her BFF. We weren't sure how much she was going to enjoy it or how much she was actually learning. But when she heard that there was going to be a performance, she needed to be a part of it. On Saturday, she got on stage, without a hint of anxiety and not only nailed the performance but obviously had a visibly blissful time doing it. Her entire family was there in the audience clapping like mad and taking pictures. She was inundated with flowers afterwards and rushed home for a post-performance party.

My tiny dancer isn't so tiny. She's a little person with her own set of likes and dislikes, who colors outside the lines because to color within them would be predictable and boring, who memorizes lyrics to musicals, who makes her own dinners of reverse peanut butter sandwiches in which the peanut butter is on the outside of the sandwich not the inside, who loves her brother and often proves it by trying to teach him to cartwheel or taking him down with a flying tackle, who makes up vast worlds inside her head, and who knows how to spell nearly everything so long as you're not expecting vowels. And who, as of this weekend, took the stage with the confidence of someone three times her age and quite obviously loved every single minute of it, and did it without her parents.

I can't look at the hundreds of pictures I took without seeing how old she is. And how very, very beautiful.

Posted by Chris at March 15, 2010 8:18 AM
Comments

Absolutely freakin' adorable! I can't believe how grown up she is.

Posted by: Judy at March 15, 2010 8:25 AM

PRECIOUS!!!!!!

Posted by: NancyJ at March 15, 2010 8:33 AM

My heart just *exploded* from the cuteness in this pictures. She's so grown up and poised and beautiful!

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at March 15, 2010 8:40 AM

She is a complete little person. She is beautiful

Posted by: k8 at March 15, 2010 8:44 AM

She really is such an incredible little lady. I am blessed by the opportunity to know her, albeit digitally ;) Though the reverse peanut butter sandwiches sound awfully messy, so maybe it's good she's on the other side of the computer screen haha!

Posted by: Heather at March 15, 2010 8:49 AM

Oh she is absolutely adorable! So graceful and lovely!!!

Posted by: Maribeth at March 15, 2010 8:50 AM

Damn you for just makin' me cry so early on a Monday morning.

Very sweet post, very sweet message... I hope you save it for her to read when she's older.

Posted by: Sarah at March 15, 2010 8:56 AM

She's beautiful. You must be SO proud! (I know I would be!!)

Posted by: Kim at March 15, 2010 8:57 AM

Gorgeous!

Posted by: Emily at March 15, 2010 9:00 AM

That's amazing.

Posted by: Fraulein N at March 15, 2010 9:05 AM

That's a fantastic tutu! And Mia is just gorgeous!

Posted by: Hope at March 15, 2010 9:24 AM

Beautiful.

And coincidentally, my wife and I had a conversation last night in which we remarked on how K, our 4yo, is looking more and more like a girl, and how the toddler/baby aspects are slipping away even while we watch! Put her in a dress and brush her hair, and suddenly... she's nearly grown. Or at least it seems that way.

Posted by: pvz at March 15, 2010 9:33 AM

Like I told Beth, I'm sitting here crying... she's grown up so much!!! Makes me miss you guys that much more. Wow....

Posted by: corinne at March 15, 2010 9:44 AM

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face on this dreery Monday morning in PA! The photos are absolutely adorable...and I *love* the tutu!! Mia is beautiful :D

Posted by: Michelle at March 15, 2010 10:47 AM

She is very beautiful and you should be very proud! I'm glad you are.

Posted by: Jen R. (emeraldsunshine.org) at March 15, 2010 11:13 AM

These are awesome! You will never forget this moment - and neither will she.

Posted by: kalisa at March 15, 2010 11:33 AM

Totally looks like a born ballerina! Very precious!

Posted by: Sue R at March 15, 2010 12:15 PM

Beautiful girl. That confidence and compusure she's displaying will serve her well in life.

Posted by: ewe_are_here at March 15, 2010 12:19 PM

ALMOST makes me wish I had a girl! She's beautiful Chris and worth every ballet lesson and flower showered upon here. Such a lucky girl!

Methinks you should take the photos and text from your blog and slap them into a photobook. You're a blogging dad hiding as a scrapbooker. Let me know if you'd rather hire it done. For a token amount, I can hook you up!

Posted by: Christy at March 15, 2010 12:40 PM

Wow! She is so beautiful. Makes me kinda sad though. My daugher used to take ballet. Once upon a decade ago. Thanks for sharing such great photos.

Posted by: SoccerMom at March 15, 2010 1:26 PM

How amazing is that?! She's beautiful and graceful looking. Where's the video??? It must have been such a wonderful performance and a proud moment.

Posted by: coolchick at March 15, 2010 2:53 PM

I've been reading this blog a long damned time when the baby I saw born is now in dance recitals. She's lovely....but that's because she has two doting parents. I give her 5 stars.

Posted by: Kristy at March 15, 2010 3:44 PM

Oh wow, she looks amazing! Can't imagine how proud you must have felt.

Posted by: Katherine at March 15, 2010 3:49 PM

OMG, she is gorgeous! She has the poise of dancers three times her age!! You can see she is having a blast and there isn't any fear or nervousness about her. Beautiful!

Posted by: Krush at March 15, 2010 4:09 PM

Mia is so poised & I think it's so cool that she has fun with it! No wonder you are such a proud papa :)

Posted by: Jane in Pa at March 15, 2010 4:26 PM

she's wonderful :)

and she's very lucky to have a dad who articulates just how much he loves her. (and you can use these old posts to prove it to her when she's 15).

Posted by: kati at March 15, 2010 5:34 PM

She is beautiful. Very. Also beautiful? A dad's love for his daughter.

Posted by: Jess at March 15, 2010 6:08 PM

Chris, you really need to save posts like this, have them published in a book, and give them to her on her wedding day. Really.

Would be the best gift EVER.

She's the cutest.

Posted by: Scattered Mom at March 16, 2010 1:08 AM

wow, she just oozes confidence, doesn't she! Beautiful photos.

Posted by: Heather @notesfromlapland at March 16, 2010 5:06 AM

Please poke Mia to become an engineer who designs clothes appropriate for durability and beauty for every type of woman and man and child. I think your kid might be the one who could finally pull that off.

Posted by: alektra at March 16, 2010 11:51 AM

I love, and am impressed by, her positions, specifically her arms. How graceful! This must be one of the best parts of parenting.

Posted by: Heather at March 16, 2010 1:02 PM

Wow, it was wonderful to read your post and remember 6 years ago when my ballerinas had their first ever recitals. I've had that moment several times a year now for the last 6 years and it gets more fun each time. Maybe next year one of my little dance princesses will be doing her recital in pointe shoes.

Posted by: Amanda at March 16, 2010 2:00 PM

Chris:
Absolutely lovely! But a question for you--do you ever worry about people exploiting or broadcasting pics of your kids. I have stopped blogging and even have recently had facebook issues when I have posted pics of my boy. I even have some family members who have taken it too far, where I really feel that they have exploited my kid. How do you handle this issue?

Amy

Posted by: Amy at March 16, 2010 3:17 PM

My goodness, she's gotten big. Beautiful kid you have there, Chris. Her creativity will be her driving force, I expect. Your pride is palatable.

Posted by: Brad at March 16, 2010 9:38 PM

She is so cute!
And she's so lucky to have a Daddy that adores her!!

Posted by: Rose Winters at March 20, 2010 2:41 PM

awwww shes so cute!

Posted by: jessica at March 23, 2010 11:31 AM

Do you understand that it is correct time to get the home loans, which will make you dreams real.

Posted by: Carver30FRIEDA at August 23, 2011 11:14 PM