April 1, 2010

Eating My Words

I'm afraid that it's time again for me to eat my words. Every once in a while I say something I have to take back, put a stake in the ground I have to reclaim, draw a line in the sand I have to smooth over with my shoe. This is one of those times.

I am something of a literary lemming. I just finished reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I picked it up primarily because the book seems to be everywhere - everyone is talking about it, everyone is reading it and everyone is praising it. No, if everyone jumped off a bridge, I wouldn't follow them but I'm more curious about books than I am plummeting to my death. What I got was 500 pages of awesome. It was one of the finest crafted, most compelling mysteries I've read. It was almost instantly enveloping. It sucked me in with the first few paragraphs and never really let go.

Now, a while ago, I ranted about books, particularly e-books and how I'd never become comfortable with them and never saw myself abandoning the physical book. It was surprising to me, therefore, that I read at least 65% of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo on my iPhone Kindle app. See, Owen was sick. Then I was sick. And I we were spending a lot of time being sick together which really involved him holding on to me all night long while I tried, and failed, to sleep myself. I scored the book itself cheap and then noticed, one night surfing my iPhone for something to do while Owen snored on my chest, that the Kindle version was darn cheap too. I bought it and read. I shifted back and forth between formats the whole time but found that I was using the iPhone more than the physical book.

I'm not going to pretend that an iPhone is the perfect medium for a book. But it was convenient and hand and I can definitely see why this whole e-book thing is catching on. And that sentence just made me sound 90, didn't it?

The bottom line - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo? One damn fine book. E-books? Kinda handy. Now, pass the salt. The consonants are okay but the vowels have no flavor at all.

On a related note, Apple's iPad drops on Saturday. Is it a must-buy for you? Are you merely curious? Or could you care less?

Posted by Chris at April 1, 2010 7:30 AM
Comments

I want an iPad, but I think I'll wait for the next gen. The price will come down, and there will be more features.

I also have the Kindle app for my iPod touch. I agree that it's handy, but the DRM makes me wary of buying a lot of books for it. Mostly I've just purchased the 99 cent specials. I also just feel better about buying physical books. It just seems like I'm getting more.

Posted by: SarraJK at April 1, 2010 7:56 AM

Don't care. I do not even know how to use an Ipod!

Posted by: Maribeth at April 1, 2010 8:11 AM

Oh yes! Damn fine book. Both my husband and I just finished reading it and it's really really good, I totally agree. Just wait until you start the second one. :D I was a slow graduate to reading on my iPhone too but I have to say now... it's just the handiest thing ever. It's always with me... any unexpected moment where I wish I had my book... well I've got my phone to read on. I'm even slowly finding that I read on it more than I do paper books and that Kindle app *cough* WAY better than an actual Kindle.

Posted by: Jen at April 1, 2010 8:32 AM

I read all the time. I even belong to a book club. So I am always looking for a new book to read (ok, well I do have 7 books right now that need to be read first). I will totally check this book out.

As for the Ipad, if I were rich yes I would buy it. but since I am not. It is not a top priority for me. Maybe in the future it will come down in price like everything else does.

PS I wanted you to know, we really dont have much in common, your not a "mom" so to speak. But I do love the way you write and think. Just had to put that out there.

Posted by: SOCCERMOM at April 1, 2010 9:07 AM

I'm no die-hard, but I just don't read enough books to see myself heading that direction. Yes, I'll read an e-book someday but I'm in no rush.

iPad: I'm anxious to see how people use it. So far I've not seen a way that is better than a laptop.

Posted by: Brad at April 1, 2010 9:09 AM

I'm reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo right now, and am having a hard time getting into it. I am about 150 pages in, and find that some passages are great and then some others completely lose my interest. I'm determined to finish it though (however, I probably won't get it done before the book club meeting to discuss it tomorrow unless I stay up all night).

As for the iPad, mine is delivered on Saturday. I can't wait to get my hands on it. We are doing a bunch of travelling in the next few months and decided to get it instead of a portable DVD player to keep our toddler entertained (and then us entertained when the toddler is (hopefully) sleeping).

Posted by: Jessie at April 1, 2010 9:18 AM

I would really like an iPad, yeah. I want to use it as a portable digital portfolio, seems handy for that. But alas, I don't have that kind of spare money.

Posted by: Katie at April 1, 2010 9:22 AM

I was a voracious reader but I don't read anymore, I listen to Audiobooks! It is wonderful when you have a good reader. I loved both of the Stieg Larsson books and am looking forward to the third.

Posted by: LeeAnn at April 1, 2010 11:00 AM

I will definitely check out that book and more importantly I will look for books for 99 cents for my IPhone. I think I have Tale of Two Cities downloaded but haven't gotten past the 1st page. I always start reading then think about the game I want to play or surfing the web or whatever - anything other than reading a book at that particular moment!

Posted by: NancyJ at April 1, 2010 11:30 AM

I thought that the start of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was reaaaaalllly slow, but at about 200 pages, it really picked up and was the awesomest of the awesome. But the sequel? The Girl who Played with Fire? Totally awesome from the first page (read entirely on my Kindle Kindle)!

Posted by: NGS at April 1, 2010 11:33 AM

Tell me this is an April Fool's Day joke. I'm not joining you with e-books. I refuse.

Posted by: k8 at April 1, 2010 11:38 AM

Waiting for the next gen. I drink the Apple Flavor-aid, but I don't have the money for the fancy 3G one. I'll wait for the crowd to subside and the bugs to work out, and then I'll get that iPad, the keyboard dock, an external drive, and a Skype account, and I'll use it to replace everything currently on my desk.

Posted by: Brooke at April 1, 2010 11:55 AM

We've been Mac addicts since the 80's (yup, we're THAT old) so the ipad will undoubtedly end up in our home - but we're not rushing out on Saturday. I refuse to line up for anything voluntarily, especially when it's going to cost me serious $$$
I'm still not sold on the ebook as my reading method of choice but I do agree with you that it's handy.
What about YOU, are you rushing out for the ipad?

Posted by: LaineyDid at April 1, 2010 11:57 AM

Haven't read that book yet (it's on my "to read" list) but I got a Kindle about 2 months ago and LOVE it...I've downloaded lots of the free and under $5 things and sprung for some other titles - 99% of what I've gotten was less than $10.

Posted by: Sue R at April 1, 2010 1:04 PM

I don't read mysteries. Not as a rule, but there's nothing about them that appeals to me. Still, like you that Dragon Girl is EVERYWHERE. Should I pick it up, even though I'm not a mystery girl?

Posted by: kalisa at April 1, 2010 1:36 PM

My seven-year-old daughter has stated that she is spending her saved-up allowance on an iPad. She can't state what it is other than a laptop, but dammit, she wants one. Nice marketing, assholes.

(she won't be getting one, btw)
(not before me)

Posted by: harmzie at April 1, 2010 1:57 PM

I hope part of this is not an April Fools Joke...I LOVED Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...about a hundred pages in, I didn't think so, but at 101 (or there abouts) it became awesome.

I am a bit weird about sequel books...I like to get them all the same format, so I am waiting for book 2 to be out in paperback format. I can't wait to read it. I really loved the main characters.

As for the Kindle and the like, you know my feelings already on them. ;-)

Posted by: cyndy at April 1, 2010 2:02 PM

oh, and as for iPad...I'll wait a few years...maybe. I've got to break my addiction to my iTouch! ;-)

Posted by: cyndy at April 1, 2010 2:05 PM

I picked up "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" yesterday for super cheap (mass market paperback) on my quest to buy my happiness on a shitty day. I haven't started reading yet because I'm slogging thru other books (including "The Unnamed" which is not as good as Ferris's first book). I'm glad to hear that it's a good book.

But i'm still not ready for an e-reader.

And the iPad? Maybe someday. My next big splurge will be a new camera...

Posted by: sarah at April 1, 2010 6:30 PM

My friend offered to lend me Girl With... this morning and I was like mmm... but you might have convinced me. Maybe.
But also, what on earth are you doing wearing shoes in the sand?! Freaky North Americans! Here, only tourists do that. Just so you know.

Posted by: Jo MacD at April 1, 2010 9:17 PM

Is this an April Fool's Day post? I'm just going to pretend you're telling the truth.

I never, ever thought I'd get into ebooks, but then at Christmastime my boyfriend was asking for a hint on a Christmas gift so I thought long and hard about it and chose the nook. I am soooooo glad, I ADORE using it on my train ride, so easy to carry, and if I get bored with a book I just switch books. I never have any problems with my nook and the page itself is so easy to read. I also LOVE the screensaver. :)

Posted by: Poppy at April 1, 2010 9:21 PM

I really couldn't care less about the iPad....

I keep hearing about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo though and it's been on my GoodReads "to read" stack for quite a while.

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at April 1, 2010 11:41 PM

I have seen that book everywhere too but keep passing it up.

The kindle is a great thing. I enjoy holding a physical book and seeing my progress, but the Kindle, I can take it everywhere and pop it out and read whenever and where ever I want. And, I have at least 5 books I'm reading at any given time, so depending on my mood I can choose what to read! Convenience is key these days. :-)

When I catch up on those 5, I'll add GWTDT to my list!

Posted by: Junie at April 2, 2010 12:32 PM

I think the iPad is useless for me because I already have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro, so I really can't find use for it. I'm DEFINITELY going to try the iPhone kindle app. I had NO idea it existed! thanks :)

Posted by: Carmen at April 2, 2010 2:09 PM

I've been reading on a Palm and then my iPod Touch for years now. Wasn't too sure about the idea in the beginning, but beats carrying around those 1000+ paged fantasy books - or worse, two of them when you're nearly finished with the first!

Tip: Fictionwise.com, in combination with eReader.

Posted by: Hannah at April 2, 2010 3:26 PM

ipad, very curious. Planning on waiting for the next version or two before we buy. Whether my hubby can wait that long might be another story. I believe it could easily replace my laptop.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at April 2, 2010 11:19 PM

Just wanted to remind you that there is a sequel to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo that is also really good! And the third book in the series comes out in May....

Posted by: Angela at April 4, 2010 9:54 PM

I loved this book. It's my book club selection this month. I just reread it and then read The Girl Who Played with Fire, which was also outstanding. I can't believe I have to wait until May for the third book in the series.

Posted by: Annie at April 4, 2010 10:08 PM

I couldn't care less about the iPad. I already have a tablet computer I love a lot and that I've owned for two years. I read ebooks on it all the time (in PDF format, from when the author/publisher makes free PDFs legally available).

What I don't get is why everyone goes nuts every time Apple releases something you can already get by another brand name. Sure, they make nice stuff, and if you are into their design aesthetic, that's cool, but sheesh...

Posted by: Kat at April 4, 2010 11:08 PM

Everyone I know who had read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo said "You'll love it if you can make it throught the first 50 pages." And they were right, those first 50 pages were brutal.

Then I loved the book, couldn't put it down.

But am I the only person who didn't get the ending? Maybe I was expecting too much but it just...ends.

Posted by: Megan at April 5, 2010 2:29 PM

saw the movie, it is a must see!!!!!!!!!!!
in subtitles so i felt very cool about going to see it.

Posted by: maria at April 10, 2010 12:23 PM