April 9, 2010

The Weeklies #127

The Weekly Terrible Fast Food Idea. KFC is trying to kill you. They just introduced a new burger-like thing they call it the Double Down. It's filled with cheese, bacon and mayo and, instead of bread, two big slabs of fried chicken.

The Weekly Product Death. Hurry! Hurry! There are only 2,200 unsold Hummers left in the world. That's right - GM gave up the Hummer brand and, to date, no one's bought the line. And, uh, honestly is that supposed to be a bad thing?

The Weekly Time Waster. Be a ninja with Shuriken Showdown.

The Weekly Read. I'll admit to having a tiny crush on Lisa Lutz. Her novels about the dysfunctional, private-investigating Spellman family are all kinds of awesome. Revenge of the Spellmans is certainly no exception. As a matter of fact, the only criticism of the book I can possible come up with is that it's so funny and so fast-paced that it was over way too soon. Reading this is like having your funniest, most sarcastic best friend tell you a story.

The Weekly Photo.

miabunnyears.jpg

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Our throwback freakshow governor just declared this month Confederate History Month. Of course, he made no mention of slavery in doing so. I'm all for commemorating history and educating people on the significant events that have unfolded in our country. But can't we just call it Civil War Remembrance Month and be done with it?

The Weekly Question from Owen. Owen tinkle potty! (Editors Note: I realize that's not a question but he's two.)

My Weekly Question. What's your favorite song right now?

Posted by Chris at April 9, 2010 7:42 AM
Comments

"How You Like Me Now", by the Heavy. Thanks, Kia.

Posted by: David at April 9, 2010 8:08 AM

Love the Mia picture.
Favorite song? Well made a montage and used "Overjoyed" by Stevie Wonder. So guess that''s it for the week.

Posted by: Maribeth at April 9, 2010 8:35 AM

Dim and the Dark by Jump Little Children. I cannot stop listening to it. A close second is Threads by Portishead.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at April 9, 2010 8:37 AM

Glitter in the Air by Pink. Not so much for the lyrics, but the piano is amazing.

Posted by: Meredith at April 9, 2010 8:54 AM

Dude, I am all ate up with Halestorm's debut album right now. I get crushes like this now and then.

It's hard to pick one track because they all get stuck in my head, but I'll go with "I Get Off".

Posted by: Brad at April 9, 2010 9:21 AM

'Fortress' - Pinback

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at April 9, 2010 9:35 AM

Chris--Farmhouse by Phish

Owen--Wow!! You tinkled in the potty?? Yay! I like to use the potty, too. My kids' potty is in the shape of a frog. What kind of potty do you have??

Posted by: Sabrina at April 9, 2010 10:07 AM

Until It's Over by Breaking Benjamin. It's the motivation I need to keep running that last two minutes.

And if Owen is tinkling in the potty then life iss GOOD!

Posted by: k8 at April 9, 2010 10:08 AM

Favourite song right now - Sky Blue by Peter Gabriel

Awesome.

Posted by: Deeleea at April 9, 2010 10:09 AM

For contemplattive moments:

Nantes - Beirut

For Yeah-spring-is-here moments:

A kiss with a fist - Florence and the machine

For dramatic moments:

Stone cold sober - Paloma Faith

And for the oh-that's so sweet moments:

When you were young - the noisettes (killers cover)

Posted by: mikkie at April 9, 2010 10:20 AM

Owen: yeah! Tinkle potty!

Posted by: Lojo at April 9, 2010 10:28 AM

Uprising by MUSE. Awesome in concert too btw.

Posted by: Debbie at April 9, 2010 10:35 AM

Owen, you're a big boy now!!! congrat's :)

Posted by: LaineyDid at April 9, 2010 10:50 AM

RIGHT NOW - my favorite song is either Strangers by She Van or Heaven Can Wait by Charlotte Gainsbourg

I simply can't get enough of these two songs...

Posted by: Natalie at April 9, 2010 10:52 AM

My "nephew" Dresden, also just turned two, seems to have decided that talking is beneath him. It's awesome watching him understanding all that you're saying but refuse to say the word back. Although for one brief glorious moment, his dad and I got him to say "tookus". LOL

Song right now: Damien Rice's Volcano.

Posted by: oakley at April 9, 2010 11:07 AM

Heh well you can tell Owen Miss Heather from the internet says, "Good job buddy! You're such a big boy!" :P
And right now I think my favourite song is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7drXXNkdPc

Posted by: Heather at April 9, 2010 11:51 AM

I'm a lame-o. "Pray for You" by Jaron and the Long Road to Love. Hilarious song. It makes me giggle.

Posted by: NGS at April 9, 2010 11:53 AM

Fav song at the moment is by Muse "Resistance" and is a super cool video too!

Posted by: Julie Andel at April 9, 2010 12:00 PM

*Right now* the song wailing in my head is Hardline's "Can't Find My Way." I LOVE that album, but their singer? Gets me every time. This song has so much ache in it. It's hitting the spot today.

Posted by: Brooke at April 9, 2010 12:06 PM

I LOVE the Spellmans!

Posted by: Kim at April 9, 2010 12:13 PM

Yay for Owen!!
Is it sad that I don't have a favorite song right now?
I always like some old school Van Halen. How about Right Now?

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at April 9, 2010 12:16 PM

Fav song right now:
Imma Be by Black Eye Peas

Posted by: Sheena at April 9, 2010 12:19 PM

Oddly, Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers is my song of the moment. Or Make it Mine by Jason Mraz.

I was watching something last week that had Ain't no Sunshine in it and realized I have always loved that song. Have no idea what the show was or if it was a commercial or what...just heard the song and had to download it.

Have a great weekend!

Posted by: cyndy at April 9, 2010 1:05 PM

I didn't realize you lived in VA (I'm a new reader). I lived there for ages (Fairfax and Charlottesville). It was often embarrassing; e.g., when Steve Doocie (erstwhile local news goon, currently Fox News douche) spoke at my high school graduation, or when George "Macaca" Allen spoke (campaigned really) at my wife's college graduation. I keep thinking the Commonwealth is turning the corner of cringeworthy Southernness, and then something like this happens. (Did they ever find a new state song, btw? One that didn't include the term "darkies"?) Now I live in CA, where we are *never* embarrassed by our politicians.

The only song I can think of right now, try as I might, is "I Was Made for Loving You" by Kiss. My wife woke up with it in her head, then we danced around with the babies for a while singing it, and now it's stuck.

Posted by: beta dad at April 9, 2010 1:10 PM

I saw that double down thingy and threw up a little in my mouth. I, er, won't be trying it.

Posted by: Kevin Spencer at April 9, 2010 1:24 PM

"What If This Storm Ends" (Part One of "The Lightning Strike") - Snow Patrol

Posted by: alektra at April 9, 2010 1:41 PM

Right now "6 Months" by Hey Monday, "Fearless Love" by Melissa Ethridge, "Alice" by Avril Lavigne and "Just Like a Pill" by Pink are all in HEAVY rotation. And please. No comments about my taste in music. I know my taste is the musical equivalent of fried peanut butter, bacon and banana sandwiches.

Posted by: rougeneck at April 9, 2010 3:10 PM

I'd have to go w/ "Pray for You" as well. Also "Thong Song" and "Bust A Move" lol

Owen, way to go bud!

Mia pic is super adorable, but aren't they always? ;)

Posted by: Kris at April 9, 2010 4:17 PM

Favorite song right now is "Say Hey (I Love You)". Love it!

Posted by: Sandy at April 9, 2010 5:10 PM

Hmmm... fave song right now... well, today I listened to Elvis Costello's "Man out of Time" 5 times... it's got great lyrics, Steve Nieve on the piano is awesome and EC's phrasing is brilliant. Now I have to listen to it again...

Posted by: Sue R at April 9, 2010 6:57 PM

Good job Owen!

Love the pic of Mia - she's such an Easter princess!

'Soul Sister' - Train

Posted by: coolchick at April 9, 2010 7:54 PM

Too bad about the Hummer I think it got a bad rap. Some have even concluded it was more environmentally friendly then the Pias.

Favorite song right now is a live acoustical version of Gravedigger by Dave Mathews.

Posted by: Wade at April 9, 2010 10:09 PM

i don't know what this says about me, but i am loving that jared leto song that i am hearing everywhere lately. :)

Posted by: kati at April 10, 2010 2:47 AM

Will have to check out Lisa Lutz...

To Owen: A great big belly tickle.

My favourite song atm:
Well, Long Road by Pearl Jam has been on the player a lot.
List of Demands by Saul Williams.
Gold Guns Girls by Metric.

Posted by: Nat at April 10, 2010 10:59 AM

RIGHT THIS SECOND, it is "To The Dogs Or Whoever" by Josh Ritter.

Posted by: Stephanie at April 10, 2010 6:26 PM

Longer Time At Sea by Cory Chisel and the Wandering Sons is it right now for me in the favorite song category.

Hugs to the family and tell Owen, 'Tinkle Potty is a clear indicator that you, child, ROCK!'

Posted by: Coral at April 10, 2010 9:27 PM

Afterhours 3 Continuous Mix Pt 2 is what I listen to the most on the train. It helps me stay relaxed.

Here's the link to the 49-song $9.99 album:

Posted by: Poppy at April 10, 2010 10:20 PM

favorite song right now, i would have to say is 'your decision' by alice in chains. sooooo, love them!

Posted by: ed at April 10, 2010 10:40 PM

Well done that Owen!

"Starry Eyed" by Ellie Goulding

and for some reason, "Life is a Highway" - the Rascall Flatts version. Can't explain.

Posted by: Fi at April 11, 2010 12:45 AM

Hi! There is a new look over on my blog! Come take a peek and let me know what you think!

Posted by: Maribeth at April 11, 2010 10:13 AM

Fave song right now???? Matthew Good, Emptys Theme Park and Champions of Nothing. Canadian artist, take a listen to new album Vancouver. Cheers!

Posted by: Kim at April 11, 2010 1:52 PM

I was just at KFC last night- so glad I didn't see that monstrosity or else I might be dying from clogged arteries as I type this. Eek!

Favorite song... I have no idea. That's like asking me to pick a favorite book- I could never do it. Too hard!

Posted by: Debra at April 11, 2010 9:08 PM