April 23, 2010

The Weeklies #129

The Weekly Beer. Magic Hat Lucky Kat (thanks Scott!)

The Weekly Read. Since I'm rapidly running out of John Sandford's Prey books, I've been trying to budget wisely. Two a year, no more. I finally got tired of eying Invisible Prey on my nightstand so I picked it up. I've got to admit, it wasn't my favorite Sandford novel. The plot seemed a bit contrived, a bit of a mess early on. It eventually picked up. But there's no doubt that the man can write and despite the slightly off plot, Sandford's dialog and characters remained wonderful. Even with a marginal book - that's still better than half the crap on bookstore shelves - I'm still a fan.

The Weekly Music. I'm slightly obsessed with the cast recording of Green Day's American Idiot.

The Weekly Movie. Last weekend - and wow, I really didn't get a chance to talk about last weekend all that much - Beth and I went out on a date. After a nice dinner, we hit the movie theater. There was nothing we were absolutely dying to see but hey, we were out. We ended up catching Alice In Wonderland in 3-D. There was pretty much no aspect of the movie that didn't suck. Instead of telling the story, the movie picked up 10 years after the original story had ended. Bad idea since it required a great deal of explanation and, in the process, totally muddied the plot. The acting, with the exception of the woman who played Alice, was terrible. And the patented Tim Burton visuals seemed half-assed and were made worse by the half-assed 3-D. And people, if 3-D is the wave of the future and all, it's got to start looking better than what we saw on Saturday night. I love the Alice In Wonderland story. I'm even a huge fan of the Disney animated flick. This, though...this just blew donkey scroat.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Oh no. Kate got voted off Dancing With The Stars. Stars being a term used very loosely. Do you think that there's any chance she'll just fade into oblivion never to be heard from again? No, I don't think we're that lucky.

The Weekly Question. Should I buy an iPad? (Note, I reserve the right to do it anyway if I don't like your answer.)

Posted by Chris at April 23, 2010 6:59 AM
Comments

My parents are getting my an ipad for my birthday. And I'm pretty psyched. But I don't know if I would spend my own money on it.

Posted by: jodifur at April 23, 2010 7:21 AM

I'm not the one to ask. I don't even have an Ipod! Yes I know I lead a sad, sad life! lol!

Posted by: Maribeth at April 23, 2010 7:51 AM

I'm fully in love with the American Idiot cast recording. We saw the live show during previews and will be going back. You should plan a trip to NYC to see it, it's just THAT amazing. Didn't hurt that Green Day sat right in front of us that night. I thought my 13 year old sons head was going to pop right off his body with excitement. Oh wait, I was the one screaming "OMG IT"S BILLIE JOE!!!!"

I was really nervous about hearing people other than Billie sing some of my most favorite songs, but this cast is amazing and they bring a new dimension to these long loved songs. Especially the women..wow...Rebecca Naomi Jones...what a voice.

Tony Vincent, who plays St. Jimmy...blew me away...I had a vision of what I thought St. Jimmy was going to be like..and he blew my expectations away. Phenomenal does do his performance justice. Go see it. Seriously.

ipad? go for it. Reward yourself for your promotion!

Posted by: Lisa at April 23, 2010 8:15 AM

I'm pretty anti-Apple. We just don't play well together because I want it to act like a PC, and it wants to act exactly how Steve Jobs says to act.

However.

In the fall, I'm likely to buy an iPhone. (Again. I ditched the first one b/c it didn't act like my blackberry, went back to a blackberry and realized what a badass my iPhone was, minus its lack of keys. That part still annoys me.) If I didn't freelance and need a computer that would, you know, let me run Photoshop and Flash? I'd buy an iPad. It does everything I want my home computer to do and more (email, web, apps - power triad!). If you have a computer that you can use for your photoshopping? Then I say get the iPad. It's pretty sweet...

And hey! Happy Friday!

Posted by: Emily at April 23, 2010 8:45 AM

Re Question: Your caveat alone is the answer you seek. ;)

Posted by: martin at April 23, 2010 9:41 AM

As a heavy reader, music nut, and web guy I'd say the iPad is a good fit for you. It doesn't do enough for me to make it useful, so I'm staying away. Maybe someone will come up with some good uses for it soon. Either way, it's got moxy and that counts for something.

BTW, 21 guns sounds great when sung by that theater cast.

Posted by: Brad at April 23, 2010 9:48 AM

Sigh. The iPad. I find it a waste. Sure, it's a reader- but haven't you mentioned you like your books to be *books* before? And you have an iPhone for those times you just need a reader. Sure, it plays music. But it's insanely unportable. Sure, it does the internet- so do probably six things within your reach right now.

I've heard it's clunky, hard, easy to drop, hard to type on. In my eyes, it's a rip. It's the iPhone without the convenience.

That being said, I also understand being a techie guy and needing it. So if you end up getting it, I totally won't point and laugh.

Posted by: caleal at April 23, 2010 10:42 AM

I've had some first hand experience w/ an iPad and have decided that it's best to wait for a future release. In two years they'll be amazing. I don't think it was well-thought out enough-- It has the capabilities for so much, but isn't allowed to do it all in this release. In short I think it's cool but unless you're a traveling worker type in which a laptop is necessary, seems redundant as it's not 3g yet (what if you have no wifi?)

Posted by: bri at April 23, 2010 10:44 AM

Buy.
iPad.
Now.

(am just trying to resist as long as possible, but I can feel my grip on my credit card slipppppping)

Posted by: Aimee at April 23, 2010 11:28 AM

I totally love my ipods (fifth gen 160 and third gen shuffle). I love my iphone (3GS) even more. I have some serious ipad envy.

But, that said, I won't even consider an ipad until the second version comes out - apple does a great job of making the most of their updated hardware. I expect big improvements to the ipad in round two and I don't even know what these improvements should be yet (not even sure that they know yet).

Posted by: K at April 23, 2010 11:40 AM

Present to you for your promotion.

Oh, and some of us work on that technology for that company. Just sayin. ;)

Posted by: alektra at April 23, 2010 11:44 AM

Well, as you know, I drink the Apple Flavor-Aid, but I can't see my way to an iPad at the mo'. I mean, I totally don't have the money and I just can't justify the expense for something so semi-portable and semi-functional. I'm waiting for v. 2.0 to see what changes are in store. I'm sure it will be amazing down the line.

I saw "Alice In Wonderland" too and was underwhelmed. I actually thought Helena Bonham Carter was hysterical. I did feel like there was more to the movie but that someone said "It's too long" and half of it got left on the cutting room floor. I hate 3D myself, so I'm hoping it's a fad.

Posted by: Brooke at April 23, 2010 12:28 PM

Hey, if you can afford the iPad, I'd love to live vicariously through you heh.

Posted by: Heather at April 23, 2010 1:07 PM

Personally, as I am a PC User stuck in a Mac body and saving for reassignment surgery, I would not buy an Ipad, I would save said money for a Macbook. Which I believe would be far superior.

Perhaps once the re-assignment is complete, I may purchase an Ipad.

Posted by: Mindy at April 23, 2010 2:35 PM

I would buy one, but not now...wait until the next iteration comes out...they can work out all the glitches.

Posted by: Jean at April 23, 2010 3:00 PM

I WISH Kate would fade into the background, but there is no way that will happen. The woman drove me batshit crazy during her show (my daughter was obsessed with watching all the "babies") and now she's a million times worse (which I didn't think was possible). And I swear to God, if I hear her complain one more time about how she's a "struggling single mom", well, let's just say that I can't be held responsible for my actions. ENOUGH ALREADY!

Posted by: js at April 23, 2010 4:14 PM

It's supposed to be overly heavy. And what does it do that the iPhone can't do? It's a little bigger, but still kinda small for a screen. For reading, it's not as easy on the eyes as a Kindle.

Meh.

Posted by: Laura Gato at April 23, 2010 4:44 PM

Go for the iPad. I saw a few people with them at a Social Media breakfast last week and they looked pretty cool :)

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at April 23, 2010 5:21 PM

I think you should get one, because I'm sure you will blog about it and then I'll know more about it. Infact, Apple should just give you one :)

Posted by: Heather at April 23, 2010 5:41 PM

Try Sandford's Kidd & Llewelyn books as well (there are 4-5 now). I love them and the Prey series; in fact, the Prey series is one of my all-time favorites. As for movies, if you haven seen 'Moon', give it a spin - we rented it last weekend and it was terrific. Which brings me to the iPad: I only personally know one person who has it, and he (big technogeek) LOVES it ... so, yes, reward yourself.

Posted by: la isla d'lisa at April 23, 2010 8:08 PM

I would love to know who was smoking what when they decided to do Alice that way. I think the original story as visualized by Tim Burton could have been awesome, and I was all psyched to see it... until I heard that it wasn't the original story but some sort of weird sequelish thing. Which I was really, really glad I heard before we went and saw it. I'm sorry you had to sit through it but, man, I just feel like they totally missed that boat and I don't get why. It's not even like it would be a rights issue, since the book's old enough to be public domain (at least, I'm pretty sure it is). Go figure.

Posted by: Dawn at April 23, 2010 8:59 PM

Yes, yes you should buy an ipad. You just earned a huge promotion and you deserve to treat yourself! Just be prepared to share it with your children...we went to visit them in an Apple store the day they were released and our 3 year old immediately found and started playing Plants vs Zombies.

Posted by: kate at April 23, 2010 9:07 PM

We built the set for American Idiot where I work, so we got some comps to the show when it was in previews.

Its great, its fun, and its in a currently untapped niche. I hope it does really well.

Posted by: Dani at April 23, 2010 9:20 PM

I believe apple should give you and IPad and then you in turn can buy me one. :)

Posted by: Marla Mentzer at April 24, 2010 12:52 AM

Do you need an iPad or just want one to be cool? Regardless of your answer, wait a little bit for them to get the bugs out of it and reduce the price. Remember how so many got screwed on the iPhone when it first came out because they absolutely had to have one the second they hit the market.

Posted by: diamond dave at April 24, 2010 10:51 PM

I wouldn't buy any electronic in its first wave out on the market.

Posted by: Deirdre at April 25, 2010 10:10 AM

I heard that Burton's Alice was pretty crappy form a lot of people, so not in any hurry to see it. However, the Alice that came out on SciFi last year with Kathy Bates and Tim Curry was pretty good. You might want to check it out if you haven't. I also love the Disney version.

Posted by: Debra at April 27, 2010 6:26 AM

I will recommend not to wait until you get big sum of money to buy different goods! You should just get the home loans or financial loan and feel yourself comfortable

Posted by: Hester35Sherry at August 6, 2011 5:55 PM