April 5, 2010

Easter 2010

You know, I had a lot that I was going to say about Easter. About the multiple (3!) egg hunts, the family dinners, the plans for my Friday off that inevitably went awry because Mia had a massive allergy attack and looked like she'd been hit with a stalk of ragweed. But then I realize that Easter brings out the snazzy dresser in all of us. So I thought I'd introduce you to my beautiful family instead.

On Friday we were scheduled to go to Monkeytown and have lunch with the grandfathers. They both work downtown and the kids were dying to see their offices...and them. Unfortunately, Mia got hit with allergies. Bad. She was a sad sight to see. I'd planned to take the day off so instead of heading into Monkeytown, I took her to the doctor. He and I came to the conclusion that our primary course of action was to keep her out of the hospital. Armed with a couple of extra prescriptions, we left and headed to the carwash which Mia dearly loves for no explicable reason. After my car was clean, we went to Michael's which is one of Mia's favorite places. We had a goal in mind - clear string to hang yet more stuff from Mia's bedroom ceiling - but wandered the aisles looking at all the cool stuff. Or, rather, she looked and I told her the many reasons why we didn't need whatever cool thing she'd found. It was a little like a craft intervention. The she and I went to The Chip Restaurant (what the rest of the world calls Chipotle) and she devoured two quesadillas and a metric ton of chips. The girls had an outing planned for the afternoon so Owen and I hung out for a while. By the end of the day, Mia was wiped up. So were the rest of us.

Despite the sneezing and coughing and overall drama that comes with Mia being sick, the weekend was a fantastic one. We attended a massive egg hunt on Saturday morning after which I tackled the yard. On Sunday, we staged yet another egg hunt in our own yard then headed to the in-laws for a family-wide Easter dinner. And might I say, Owen certainly looked dapper.

All-in-all, the weekend was a massive success and a wonderful first taste of spring. So, what were you up to this weekend?

Posted by Chris at April 5, 2010 7:02 AM
Comments

That kid sure knows how to rock a blazer!

Posted by: Hope at April 5, 2010 7:49 AM

Wow! Look at how grown up your kids are! Now how the heck did that happen? One day they were these adorable little babies, and now....all grown up little people! I'm especially blown away by the suave and ever cool Owen!!
Hope Mia is better. I've been sucking on my own inhaler all weekend long.

Posted by: Maribeth at April 5, 2010 8:12 AM

Sorry to hear about Mia's allergies. I get hit with them myself around this time of year.

Ah, Easter! One of my favorite food times of the year! Candy! Breads! Meats! All the good stuff wrapped into one day.
Well, this year was a little different than years past and I will tell you my sad tale of woe...

My dad died on Sunday the 28th. He had health issues but none that were currently affecting him. I guess it was a heart attack or stroke. He was 85. So we buried him on Wednesday. Which is somewhat ironic because yesterday (Sunday the 4th) was the 23rd anniversary of my mother's death! But it was a blessing in many ways. He had recently moved to a nursing home because of a small stroke (affecting only brain areas) end of last year, he was happy but when we moved him my gut said "this is the year". He was a wonderful man, wonderful father and husband and now he's up with God and his "Peach".

Easter still went as planned and we had my mom's side of the family at my sister's and all the Polish fixins - babka, kielbasa, pierogies, eggs. The kids all had their easter baskets, candy for everyone! Pictures were taken, memories were exchanged and hugs ended the event.

Now I'm on my way into a Monday after being away from school for a week and I'm sure I'll have a hundred "Mrs. Benson! Where were you?!" to answer to.

Posted by: NancyJ at April 5, 2010 8:38 AM

I did nothing this weekend, which was fantastic. Also fantastic: the car wash! I love the car wash. At least Mia's still little; I have no excuse for getting so amped about going through the car wash.

Posted by: Fraulein N at April 5, 2010 8:59 AM

I spent the weekend STRESSING. We hosted our first family holiday in our home. My SIL and her family came in a day early. The house was NOT ready. My MIL and FIL came in on Easter and the house had been WRECKED by my SIL's kids.

However, we had a lot of fun. It was a nice family day. The food was, if I may say so myself, FABULOUS, and my 20 month old niece made herself a crack baby with all the candy... then went home. HAHAHAHA. Revenge is sweet. LOL

Posted by: NotAMeanGirl at April 5, 2010 9:24 AM

We had a nice low key Easter, but one twist to the Easter egg hunt went over quite well: for the two youngest, classic smash and grab hunt. But for the oldest ( 9 ) we hid the contents of her basket around the farm, and then created a series of clues for her to follow. Was a huge hit.

Ate way too much, but now that the weather is nice have a sporting chance of walking it off.

And Owen could seriously make some coin doing the baby model circuit!

Posted by: metawizard at April 5, 2010 9:37 AM

Is it my imagination or does that kid look a lot like your other one? I almost had a "GASP THEY BUZZCUT MIA AND DRESSED HER IN A BLAZER" moment. Almost.

Posted by: lumpyheadsmom at April 5, 2010 10:38 AM

Sounds like you made the best of Mia's off day. Owen looks awesome in his Easter outfit!

We made no plans and had a pretty idyllic weekend. Got a few things done, nothing strenuous. I went to church yesterday and the service was very moving. I gotta say, though my favorite thing this weekend (other than the Dr. Pepper after 46 days of Lenten deprivation) was the Methodist church by my house. Every year they plant 3 crosses in their lawn on Ash Wednesday. The middle one is draped with a purple swag. I happened to drive by that church last Friday, and noticed that the purple swag had been exchanged for a black one, mourning colors. Yesterday, on my way home from church, the black drape had been removed and a white one was in its place, with lilies (that doesn't look right, but whatevs) springing up around the foot of the cross. I know you're not a religious guy, but that was my fun weekend thing.

Posted by: Brooke at April 5, 2010 11:50 AM

Mia & Owen are so cute!! I know what you mean about a craft intervention.... I'm kind of the same way when I go into a craft store. Though I think I do more damage in JoAnn's....

We hopped (pun intended) on one of the motorcycles and rode down to my Mom's for Easter dinner. Nothing too exciting.... We're getting a little old for egg hunts. My one nephew who was there just wanted to go ride his four wheeler. He couldn't have cared less about candy :)

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at April 5, 2010 1:00 PM

we also did the egghuntegghuntegghunt this weekend. and that boy is ready for prime time! so cute!

Posted by: Wendy at April 5, 2010 1:19 PM

Did you find clear string? Because I find that fishing line works really well. I hung hundreds of silk flowers from a friend's ceiling one year with it.

I played hockey and started the spring cleaning over the weekend. Had Easter waffles with friends to celebrate the day.

Posted by: Judy at April 5, 2010 1:20 PM

Awesome family photos. Here in the Midwest, we had some amazing great weather.

We did the usual, spent time with family, went to church to celebrate and ate too damn much food.

Posted by: SoccerMom at April 5, 2010 2:16 PM

Owen's totally spifferiffic and adorable! ;)

Posted by: Heather at April 5, 2010 10:13 PM

(Oh, and I did homework, went to church, laid around in bed, wasted time when I should have been doing homework...and then did some more homework. Woo!)

Posted by: Heather at April 5, 2010 10:15 PM

I forgot whatever else I was going to say b/c Owen is so suave and ADORABLE in his Easter attire. I love it!

Posted by: Jane in Pa at April 5, 2010 10:49 PM

I just love seeing little kids in suits! Your kids are so dang cute. I didn't even realize it was Easter (heathen!) until I tried to go to The Chip Restaurant and it was closed (sadtrombone).

Posted by: jessica fantastica at April 6, 2010 2:41 AM

Owen looks so cute! I think the last time I saw pics of him he was much, much smaller... lol.

I baked "zombie" cupcakes for Easter, since it is the celebration of the world's first zombie and all. They were yummy! Pics on my blog. :)

Posted by: Debra at April 6, 2010 6:34 AM

Love the pics of Owen! He looks so adorable! I hope Mia's allergies straighten up soon!

Posted by: coolchick at April 6, 2010 11:01 PM