May 3, 2010

New Big Wong and the 1,000 Boobies

This weekend, Beth and I escaped.

Specifically, on Saturday Beth arranged for her parents to come over and spend the night with the kids while she and I fled to Monkeytown to have a wonderful dinner and spend the night in a nice hotel. And that's exactly what we did. Around 5:00 on Saturday, we checked in to the Hotel Monaco in DC. It's a pretty cool boutique hotel which also happens to be a historic site, since it was DC's general post office built in 1839. Now it's smack-dab in the heart of Chinatown. We found our room, changed, and headed out to walk around the neighborhood and caught a pre-dinner drink. Then we hit Oyamel for dinner. Authentic Mexican tapas. Or, rather, really incredible authentic Mexican tapas. Who'd have thought fries smothered in a poblano chile and chocolate sauce would be any good? Turns out, it was. We passed on the grasshopper tacos though, being vegetarian and all. Though we were stuffed, we hit a cupcake place and found something for ourselves as well as a little something to take back to Mia and Owen.

Then, though it was merely 10:00, we went to bed. And we got an astonishing nine hours of uninterrupted sleep. No one cried in another room. No one fell out of bed. No short people pushed their adult, parental counterparts who outweigh them threefold out of bed. No one stuck their fingers in my ears at 4:00 in the morning for no apparent reason. I awoke with no one sitting on my head. It was kind of awesome. After lounging around in bed not because we were tired or lazy but because we could, we got moving around 8:00 and hit Poste for breakfast.

And then we kissed our weekend of freedom goodbye and returned to the kids who were overjoyed to have us home. And we were overjoyed to be back. We had an awesome afternoon with them. We laughed the entire day.

It's funny - I'm purposefully not the kind of father who talks shit about their kids in a they're weighing me down sense. I've talked with a lot of fathers who do. I find it annoying. So while I don't and won't do that, this weekend has helped me realize that sometimes as a parent you just need a break, that a break will make a world of difference.

Having a hot, kick-ass woman like Beth made it all kinds of awesome too.

Where's your favorite place to go to get away from it all?

P.S. - It did occur to me that the title of the post is meaningless unless you were tailing us this weekend. I thought about spelling it out for you but then I figured that would ruin all the fun.

Posted by Chris at May 3, 2010 7:23 AM
Comments

The last time Mr MacD and I went away for a night without the kids it was 2002 on our wedding night. The next morning I flew to a different state to present at a conference. Perhaps we'll do it again for our 10-year anniversary?

Posted by: Jo MacD at May 3, 2010 8:03 AM

I'm so glad you guys had a great time! What a blessing to have wonderful built in babysitters and the wherewithal to go to a sweet hotel and all that :) It really sounds like a great deal of fun! Go you!
(And I think it's really smart to recharge yourselves away from the kids, too - good for you personally, the kids - knowing that not EVERYTHING is 100% about them haha, and for your marriage!)
(because I am obviously an expert on marriage.)
(At least I'm an expert on brackets.)
(Or in them, anyway.)

Posted by: Heather at May 3, 2010 8:37 AM

Yeah for you guys! You DO need to get away from it all every once in awhile. Kind of backwards memory, but one of my favorite things to look forward to was the week I got to spend with my grandma and grandpa. All by myself with neither of my siblings. I loved it!

And after going camping by myself last fall? I dream about doing it all the time.

Posted by: k8 at May 3, 2010 10:14 AM

Great title, whether it made sense or not. It's great that you can enjoy coming home and that you are enjoyed in return after a night like that. Sounds like bliss.

Drew

Posted by: Drew at May 3, 2010 10:26 AM

So glad you had such a great weekend. I had no kids for the nights. I missed the little buggers.

This whole thing of HIM getting the kids for the weekend or even one night--well it's sad, very sad. I miss my babies.

I did however, ask for them for the upcoming weekend for mother's day. I plan on do something fun and out of the ordinary with them. Of course, I am not sure what that would be, but we will try.

Posted by: debb at May 3, 2010 11:21 AM

Sadly it's a cruise. It's the only place I can kick back and get away from the 4 dogs. No dog walking, poop picking up, or feeding. Heaven on earth. (Or water that is!)
Looks and sounds like you had a great time. And yes, you lucky devil, Beth is a totally wonderful woman!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 3, 2010 11:48 AM

I love my kids, and I love our nights away when we can get them.

We try to hit the North Shore of MN at least once a year. We used to go in December to www.lutsen.com but last year we went in March to Gooseberry Falls. Absolutely beautiful! We haven't done "our" trip yet this year. Maybe sometime in the fall!

Glad you enjoyed your weekend. Coming home is almost as fun as getting away!

Posted by: molly at May 3, 2010 11:51 AM

This post title makes me think the Cactus-Fish family is even more fun than I originally
thought :-)

Glad a good time was had by all!

Posted by: Diane at May 3, 2010 12:23 PM

No matter how much you love your kids, getting away from them periodically for some alone time, especially with the spouse, is an essential. Then after a few days you realize how much you miss them, and want to go back.

My favorite time? The kids going to church camp for a week and the wife & I taking a road trip to see some relatives. Just the two of us. No real schedule to keep (other than being back at the end of the week), very little stress, eat when we want to, sleep when we want to, having...uh... y'know... when we want to. ;-)

Posted by: diamond dave at May 3, 2010 12:39 PM

A) completely jealous that you have grandparents who are available to do that for you. Are they available for rent?

B) I have become more aware of how absolutely awesome my child is because he goes to bed, and we don't hear from him until 6 - 7am the next morning, and then he calls us from his room. No one jumps on my head or pushes me around in the middle of the night unless Bob is rolling me over to stop me from snoring.

C) We have yet to establish a get away routine, see comment number A. No suitable overnight child care. GAH.

Posted by: MidLifeMama at May 3, 2010 1:36 PM

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, so it's good to unplug from the kids every now and again. Also good for them to see that, yes, they can survive without you in the same house.

Family wise the best place we've found so far is the Outer Banks in NC; touristy, yes, but in a good way and being able to walk to the beach every day is totally awesome. The secret is to rent a house with another couple / family that you get along well with.

Posted by: metawizard at May 3, 2010 3:36 PM

Last weekend we went to NYC for the same reason - to get away. It was our first time there, and not super relaxing (so much to see and do), but as much as I love my kids, I am a better mother when I can recharge myself.

My favorite place is Chicago. Love it love it love it. And I've been so frequently that I don't feel like i *have* to do EVERYTHING when I go. It's far enough away from home to be AWAY from home, but close enough that I don't feel like it's a major journey....

Posted by: Sarah at May 3, 2010 3:38 PM

I don't really get parents who don't have their kids spend time with other adults that they can trust.

A) it's good for the kids to get a little outside their routine with other people and find out not everything is the way mom and dad would do it.
B) A marriage is so important to kids' well-being, and if parents are just being parents all the time, it's impossible for the kids to see a good marriage in action.
C) Dude, sex is awesome. Especially if you're a dude with a smokin' hot wife like Beth.

I used to take care of kids for the weekend, and then the Boy and I did the same thing when we were in the same place. Everyone kind of wins. Treat for the kids (if they're ok with being without mom and dad, and if not, they need to get used to that, too), treat for mom and dad. But the good kind of treats that don't give you cavities or screw up your BMI.

My advice, for what it's worth, do it more often. Like, at least every three months.

Posted by: alektra at May 3, 2010 8:45 PM

But I really wanted to know what the title meant!

Posted by: Heather at May 3, 2010 9:43 PM

Hubs and I did that at Christmastime, and vowed we needed to get away more often. Glad you had fun!

Posted by: Scatteredmom at May 3, 2010 10:21 PM

what is this getting it away from it all business that you speak of? i am going to have to google it...

Posted by: kati at May 4, 2010 12:24 AM

Our favorite get away place would have to be 1) NYC anytime of year and 2) our cottage when the weather is not frigid and the water is turned on because it's so peaceful.

Posted by: NancyJ at May 4, 2010 6:37 AM

When you are in not good state and have no money to get out from that point, you would have to receive the loans. Because that would aid you emphatically. I get bank loan every single year and feel great because of it.

Posted by: Socorro35Lawson at July 3, 2010 10:00 PM