May 24, 2010

Threat Level: Red

A simple fact of life and often overlooked truth: when you get puked on on a Friday night it's very difficult to tell exactly how the weekend's going to go. It's a dubious start at best.

On Friday night as I was quietly reading to Mia, she threw up. On me. And the repeated the process moments later. Reading time was over. We braced ourselves for the inevitable follow-up but it never really came. Mia slept through the night and, in turn, so did we, then managed to wake up at the uncharacteristic and slightly annoying hour of 5:00 AM so I could - her words - listen to the chorus of birds. The birds did sound pretty and all but they weren't quite worth rolling out of bed in the darkness for. But, you know, still better than getting ralphed on.

We spent the rest of the weekend cautious, afraid to consider the threat neutralized for fear of jinxing ourselves. On the Parental Scale of Domestic Terror an epidemic of puking elevates the threat level to red, if not beyond.

On Saturday it rained. On Sunday it rained some more. And Mia again thought as though she felt icky. Beth felt the same. So we took it easy. Beth napped, the kids and I watched movies (can I say again how awesome Netflix streamed via Wii is?) that Beth would hate, namely Scooby Doo. By afternoon, when the sun came out, we were all ready to get outside and play. We were all equally eager to get in bed as the day ended. Which is why, no, we didn't catch the last episode of Lost. So shhhhhhh!

Now I'm heading to work, praying that no one else gets hit, that we can lower the terror alert without threat of a puking insurgency. I'm not ready to stand on top of my garage and declare Mission Accomplished.

And your weekends? How were they?

Posted by Chris at May 24, 2010 6:40 AM
Comments

Yeah I'm thinking getting vomited on is not the greatest part of parenthood - it's definitely a part that I don't look forward to :P
My weekend was good! Birthday party for my best friend, a walk in the park (literally!), a refreshing and inspiring church service, and dinner and drinks (totally girly delicious martinis haha) with a friend I've been trying to connect with for a while! AND my mom will be home from four months in England in one week -I am SO excited - I've missed her SO much. My capitalization should tell you so haha.
So yes, a good weekend :) Now I shall hope for a good week! (Of course, being awake at 4:38am isn't the greatest start to it, so I'd better finally get to bed. Ciao!)

Posted by: Heather at May 24, 2010 7:38 AM

Sorry to hear about the puking, glad it didn't continue! Husband and I celebrated our 7th anniversary yesterday, without the kids :O. It was lots of fun even though all we did was shop and browse and eat at a "grown-up" restaurant (nothing fancy, just not Friendly's or Cracker Barrel :)).

Posted by: Elizabeth at May 24, 2010 8:40 AM

We did something we haven't done in years - an overnight date sans kids. We left them home alone overnight for the first time ever and headed to Baltimore for the Butch Walker concert. I also snagged a ridiculously cheap room at the Doubletree. However, not getting back to the hotel until 1 AM Saturday morning pretty much wiped us out for the weekend. Getting old sucks.

No calls from the sheriff, and no signs of party damage when we got home, so that is all good!

Posted by: COD at May 24, 2010 8:48 AM

Vomit is just gross....I always have to keep menthol cough drops handy as they block my nose from smelling that awful smell!

Farmer's Market with Big Mak, my oldest, and my sister on Saturday. Followed by shopping and just hanging with them. Sunday was full of the big D for Lil' M, our youngest, and a trip to Urgent Care.

In the war of smells, I'd rather have vomit than the poo that was expelled at rapid rates from her tushy. We had to saran wrap her nether regions to collect a sample, which was rushed to the hospital this morning for tests. We think that her colon infection is back...again...yuck. :(

Hope the Vomit Fairy stays away! Have a great week!

I love your haiku...summers are a wonderful part of being a teacher. :)

Posted by: Wendy at May 24, 2010 8:56 AM

One time when Mandy was little she came running into our bedroom in the middle of the night and promptly puked on me! I cleaned her and me up and as I did I asked her why she didn't just go into the bathroom and use the toilet, or a wastebasket, anything but me?
Her answer..."Because I knew you's want to know!"
Gotta love kids.
The weekend was good. Enjoyed our first cookout of the season on Saturday, and then on Sunday drove the 45 miles to our nearest Verizon store and resolved my cell phone problem.
Yes, I live in the middle of no where!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 24, 2010 9:21 AM

Hey Chris, Angus was sick as well this weekend. However, we hit a major milestone -- he is puking in the toilet on his own!

Posted by: Scott at May 24, 2010 9:30 AM

We had an awesome summery weekend. Especially because there was no puke.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at May 24, 2010 10:15 AM

We skipped lost last night because we're watching tonight with some friends. Attempting to get through the day without having too much of it spoiled!

Posted by: Shannon at May 24, 2010 11:25 AM

I developed a nasty cough that had me hacking my lungs out most of the weekend, if not high on codeine syrup. We did a lot of relaxing.

On Saturday my husband bought himself a motorcycle. Sunday, I got to go for a ride on it (so much fun!)

Today is a holiday here. I think we'll go for another ride, get groceries, relax.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the puke doesn't return.

Posted by: Scatteredmom at May 24, 2010 11:36 AM

Tell me more about Netflix via Wii. We use the Tivo right now, which works okay, but do I want to switch to the wii? Can you watch any movie on the wii, or just the ones that are available instantly like with the Tivo? Does the wii have to be networked in some way that we wouldn't want, since we let our (almost) 5-year-old play it (mostly) unsupervised? That is, will loading the netflix disc mean some 37yo potty-mouthed pedo in Kuala Lumpur can proposition my son while he's playing Mario Kart?

Posted by: lumpyheadsmom at May 24, 2010 11:43 AM

I ranch-sat with my husband for a friend on his 6k acre ranch, 45 miles waaay in the hills (gravel roads, no cell service, power totally off the grid), and looked after their pastured hogs (2-day old PIGLETS! Most adorable thing I've ever seen!), herded their flock of sheep down from the hills with their sheep dogs, fed their baby goats, chased wild pigs from the front steps, had wine on the dock of their man-made lake and fed and moved their pastured chicks in their hand-made brooders. Pure bliss... except I think I'd trade the whole chicken part of the experience for kid-ralphing any day!

Posted by: mandy at May 24, 2010 12:57 PM

Dude, sorry about the barf. It takes me days to settle down when one of the kids has thrown up. Always waiting for the proverbial other shoe to drop,

This weekend my stepson performed at Disneyland with his middle-school band. I don't know who was more excited - him or me. I love Disneyland and the idea of him marching just before the parade came up the street brought tears to my eyes. You can see my decent but short video on my Facebook page. Anyway, it was just me, hubby, and the two year old since my skids were with their mom, and we had an awesome, nap-and-fuss-free, toddler-paced day at Disneyland. Best time I've had in a while.

On Sunday I took a nap. It was bliss. The end.

Posted by: Brooke at May 24, 2010 2:29 PM

Well it had it's up's and downs.
Down: Friend bailed on me 3 hours prior to a charity event for my friend's daughter who has leukemia. She played the money card (real shitty because I've been out of work for a year and a half)
Up: Went to the charity event and had fun.
Down: Got pissed because out of 2300 people invited 178 RSVP's yes and 11 on the list showed up. (I'll blog about it at some point)
Up: Went to the HH Hole in the Woods camp (for disabled and terminal kids) and volunteered for a while. We stained a gazebo. It always feels good to do a good deed.
Up: Had a beautiful ride home on the motorcycle.
Up: Gave the dog a bath (at least it was an up for us, she may rate it a down)
Up: Went to a house party at a friends house.
Down: The friend got sick at his own party.
Up: Got up and went to church
Up: Went shopping for tomato plants and gardening supplies....
WAY WAY WAY DOWN: Got a text message that a friend was in the hospital because someone hit him when he was on his motorcycle. We raced there.
Up: He's alive
Up: No major organs were effected
Up: No head inujuries
Down: They told us he's be in the operating room for an hour and a half.
Up: We had a good dinner across the street from the hospital
Down: 4 hours later we weren't sure if we should be worried or not
Down: He ended up losing all his toes on his right foot and getting a rod in his leg.
Up: He's alive
Up: It could have been worse...

Like I said - lots of ups and downs!!
This week will be better I'm sure!

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at May 24, 2010 2:46 PM

My weekend sounds similar to yours in a way. Friday night was fine...we watch Igor (kinda dumb) with the kids. Saturday morning my son slept past 7:30!!! However, when I went to get him up so we could take his sister to a girl scout event, I discovered that sometime during the night he had leaned over the edge of his top bunk, puked down onto his floor, and then rolled over and went back to sleep! That was a lovely smell to start the day with. We spent the rest of the weekend on puke watch too. Last night, my daughter said she wasn't feeling very well, but I suspect that had more to do with all the junk food she ate while she spent the day at Kings Dominion with her best friend's family...

Posted by: Kris H. at May 24, 2010 3:26 PM

It was strep-tacular - 4 of 5 family members stricken. On the plus side? No Barf.

Posted by: K at May 25, 2010 9:25 AM