May 11, 2010

Fore, Revisited

You're probably wondering about that golf game, aren't you?

The truth of the matter is that I had a great time. From the 17th green, I texted Beth and described it this way: extreme suckage with moments of occasional brilliance. I was not good. I was considerably worse than I thought I was going to be. And to use the word brilliance as I did was overstating quite severely. I have no business using that word to describe my golf game. But I'd never played the game before so what did I (or anyone) expect?

I arrived at the course about a half an hour early, met up with the folks I was going to play with, bought the obligatory bag of beer, picked up my rented clubs and found a cart. I paired up with a great dude and reasonably good golfer allowing the two of us to balance out and perform in fairly mediocre fashion. Okay, really, I dragged his ass down with me but he was cool about it.

The moment of truth really occurred when I teed off. I'd like to say that it was a thing of beauty, that I exceeded my own expectations, that the ball was lost in the high clouds that shaded an otherwise beautiful day. But the fucking ball went about ten feet.

By the end of the day, the six golf balls I'd taken were long gone and I was resorted to borrowing balls on the back nine. I lost several to forest, more to water, and by the end I just couldn't be bothered to look for them anymore. There's a very real possibility that I took out a cyclist as well. I used a driver when an iron was clearly called for, overshot the green, saw two cyclists swerve and one go down. Circumstantial evidence would lead even the worst detective in the world to think I played some role in that. I also came close to hitting a goose but that was all the goose's fault - it lives there, knows the dangers of the game, wasn't wearing a helmet and looked at me funny.

We played eighteen holes in approximately seven hours during which I went through three beers, ten balls, 325 mulligans and an infinite amount of patience. But I had a good time and, frankly, that's all we were there for.

In retrospect, I think it's pretty good to get out of your comfort zone every once in a while, to do something you're not good at, to try something new. It felt good and was, at the same time, humbling. When was the last time you did something outside your comfort zone?

Posted by Chris at May 11, 2010 6:50 AM
Comments

Well, as long as you didn't pull one of these ...
I'm glad you had fun :) I should definitely stretch the comfort zone a little more sometime in the near future.

Posted by: Heather at May 11, 2010 7:14 AM

Okay, I had to share this golf-related one, too ...

(Yeah, it's 4:21am and I can't sleep so I'm reading back issues of online comics. Whee!)

Posted by: Heather at May 11, 2010 7:22 AM

I do not play golf. I will drive the cart, (I am really good at that), open beer for anyone, and be silent at the appropriate times, and chatty and soothing to those who make bad shots. See, you should have brought me!

Posted by: Maribeth at May 11, 2010 7:37 AM

6 golf balls? Dude, back when I golfed regularly and actually didn't suck at the game I could go through 6 balls in a round. You never had a chance ;)

I can't remember the last time I reached outside my comfort zone and tried something new, which is probably a sign that I should do that soon.

Posted by: COD at May 11, 2010 8:51 AM

Seven hours?!?! Holy shit. That you had a good time and set no one on fire is all that matters, though. I'm surprised that only three beers were involved, though.

Graduate school was and continues to be outside of my comfort zone and you are correct, sir....leaving the comfort zone is both a good and an important thing for everyone to attempt occasionally.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at May 11, 2010 10:12 AM

Since I have not been much of a joiner for most of my life, meeting up with a bunch of guys in a stay-at-home dads group was out of my comfort zone. But with the help of beer, it got comfortable pretty quickly.

Before that, meeting up with the Asian Mommy group was out of my comfort zone. Since then I have done about ten different events with them. I'm actually more comfortable around them than the dad group.

Posted by: beta dad at May 11, 2010 11:52 AM

About a year ago. I was petrified, but I pushed through it and a year later, it's made all of the difference. I love it when the brain wins, narrowly edging out the emotions. He's gotta win SOMEtime.

Posted by: Brad at May 11, 2010 1:48 PM

Funny you ask that. This weekend we were going to do something outside everyone's comfort zone. (I went to Key West with 3 close girlfriends) We dragged 2 of them to a clothing optional bar, one was supposed to go to a sex shop, and I was going to ride a mechanical bull. Needless to say it didn't happen. I went to Cowboy Bills with the best of intentions to saddle up on that bad boy, and there were 2 guys and a bartender in the place. THAT'S IT! I needed to be cheered on and it obviously wasn't going to happen without a crowd. I ended up wearing sundresses the rest of our trip - not exactly good bull-riding attire....

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at May 11, 2010 5:21 PM

I tried golf once. My ex-husband was standing in the men's tee box behind me as I'm up in the women's box taking swing after swing desperately trying to hit the ball. He yells out "how many practice swings are you going to take?" Is it any wonder why he's my ex?

Posted by: Heather at May 11, 2010 10:02 PM

All those paintings and sketches I post to Facebook? Yeah, that's just a piece of the pie. Every time I do it, I flinch that someone comments, expecting to hear the worst.

Posted by: alektra at May 12, 2010 10:49 AM