June 4, 2010

The Weeklies #135

The Weekly Team Sport. My daughter - my little girl - is now on our local swim team. How did this growing up thing happen so fast?

The Weekly Highly Sought (But Not Found) Commodity. Sleep. It's just not happening around here.

The Weekly Read. 61 Hours by Lee Child is, I think, the 14th book featuring bad-ass hero Jack Reacher. The most amazing thing about Lee Child is that the 14th book is no less compelling than the first. The series might actually be getting better. Which is pretty astonishing. Reacher's kinda like the Hulk. He doesn't turn green but he does roam around from place to place fighting bad guys. And you won't like him when he's angry.

The Weekly Death. Two TV legends gone - Gary Coleman and Rue McClanahan. Sadly this leaves Betty White as the last Golden Girl standing.

The Weekly Reason I'm Sorry You Live In Ohio (If You Do, In Fact, Live In Ohio). According to Consumerist:

Ohio cops have been granted superpowers by the state's supreme court, which has ruled that officers needn't bother with such needless trivialities as radar guns. A visual estimate of speed is all that's necessary to give a driver a ticket, the court decided in a 5-1 vote.

Next time I get a bill in the mail, I'm shredding it. I'll just guess what I owe. And the next time I go out to eat, I'll refuse a menu. I'll just guess what's on it. Who cares if I order a pizza in a steak joint?

The Weekly Schadenfreude. "I would like my life back." This statement doesn't seem remarkable until you learn that it comes from BP CEO Tony Hayward. I'm so sorry that he's been inconvenienced by the largest spill in US history. I'm sure the people of the Gulf Coast who have lost their livelihoods, their ways of life and their land would like their lives back too. Somehow I'm inclined to feel sorry for them. Mr. Hayward doesn't get my sympathy.

The Weekly Question. What's your favorite thing about summer?

Posted by Chris at June 4, 2010 6:55 AM
Comments

The fact that Mia is on swim team amazes me. We are still struggling to get Michael to float.

Posted by: jodifur at June 4, 2010 8:02 AM

Best thing about summer: sitting outside with friends on a terrace somewhere at night drinking wine and cocktails

Or sitting on my balcony with a book

And for the BP CEO: What world does he live in? Open your eyes to the world around you!

Posted by: mikkie at June 4, 2010 8:09 AM

Best thing about summer is there are no stressful holidays. Memorial Day and the 4th - throw some frozen burgers and hotdogs on the bbq, no biggie! Christmas, Hanukah and Thanksgiving = STRESS!!!!!

Posted by: Robyn at June 4, 2010 8:38 AM

Thanks for your sympathy (I live in Ohio). Have a great weekend!

Posted by: Becky at June 4, 2010 8:50 AM

THE LAKE.

And I can't even look at the pictures of the animals covered in oil. I can't. I feel like that makes me a bad person or something, but I can't handle it.

Posted by: k8 at June 4, 2010 10:02 AM

My favorite thing(s) about summer…
That it's light until 9pm
A nice cold wheat beer just tastes like summer in a glass…even moreso after mowing the lawn
My tomato garden
Tanktops, flip flops and shorts…the less clothing the better.

Posted by: Beth at June 4, 2010 11:24 AM

I love that I don't have to nag my kids about homework or worry that they have to get up on time, or make them lunches. Four more days, hallelujah.

I wish my kids would want to be on a swim team. I'd like to be on one. My 2-year-old who cannot swim, however, may be a candidate someday. He has no fear and loves to be in the pool.

Posted by: Brooke at June 4, 2010 12:04 PM

My favorite thing about summer is definitely getting outside to the beach. Winter is horrid in Chicago, which makes the beach in the summertime all that more amazing.

PS, If we've only got one Golden Girl left, I'm glad it's B.White.

Posted by: Caleb Gardner at June 4, 2010 12:55 PM

Favourite thing about summer? Everything!

BP- Oh my goodness. So awful. Will this impact your families beach vacations in the future? I apologize for my lack of geographical knowledge.

Posted by: Heather at June 4, 2010 2:46 PM

Favorite thing about summer: flip flops!! Oh, and just about everything else. No school...and I'm a teacher!

I agree that if we are down to one "Golden Girl" I am glad it is Betty White!

Posted by: Krush at June 4, 2010 3:07 PM

I don't usually get sentimental over celebrities passing, but Rue really gets to me. I LOVED the Golden Girls...

You said the same thing I said when I heard what Tony Hayward said. I'm sure all of the people's lives his company ruined would like THEIR lives back. Not to mention all of the dead animals...

Favorite thing about summer is early afternoon naps and late summer evenings...

Posted by: Holly at June 4, 2010 3:21 PM

Having been pulled over several times for speeding in Ohio, there's something about that news that doesn't surprise, me, although I can't exactly put my finger on what. The Ohio troopers aren't exactly known for their speed tolerance.

Posted by: Dawn at June 4, 2010 3:24 PM

Don't forget about Dennis Hopper!

Posted by: Chelly at June 4, 2010 4:54 PM

Favorite thing about summer - no snow, no ice, no freezing cold.

BTW - Just finished 61 Hours - loved it!

Posted by: Carey at June 4, 2010 8:44 PM

I'd kind of really like to read a novel featuring Jack Reacher and Lucas Davenport ... it's like they're two sides to the same guy: one eschews creature comforts while the other? Not so much. I totally admire these two fictitious dudes.

Posted by: la isla d'lisa at June 5, 2010 2:33 AM

My favorite thing about summer is that I don't have to work. It's one of the perks of being a teacher.

Oh, and I live in Ohio, and it totally sucks that I can now get a speeding ticket even if I'm at a complete stop... just because the officer was fairly sure that I was speeding. When I read about that I literally said "WTF?!??" And, of course, I live in a rural community where the cops are looking for something to do... and extra revenue would be great. *sigh*

Posted by: ironic1 at June 5, 2010 1:29 PM

Favorite thing about summer...sleeping in. No alarm. Laying in bed, talking to my husband, knowing I don't have to go to work. Windows open, breeze, damn birds singing. The smell of fresh cut grass. Laying in the pool on a floaty thing, eyes closed, and trying to guess which direction my head is pointing. Watching squirrels chase each other through the trees. I guess that's it....oh WAIT. One more....I'M GETTING AN IPAD! JUST ORDERED IT!

Posted by: Lojo at June 6, 2010 4:46 PM

Opening the windows, laying down on the hardwood floor and feeling the breeze while listening to my music, watching curtains billow.

Posted by: alektra at June 6, 2010 7:11 PM

You know, I've worked for people like him. "I am the boss and no one can take that away from me." I wonder if he's surprised that this has transpired the way it has... I'm with Obama, I'd have fired him.

Posted by: Nat at June 9, 2010 9:55 AM

I had got a dream to make my own business, however I did not have got enough amount of money to do that. Thank heaven my dude recommended to take the credit loans. Hence I received the bank loan and made real my desire.

Posted by: GretaPACE at October 8, 2010 5:05 PM