June 8, 2010

iCame, iSaw, iPad

A little over a month ago I ignored a vast percentage of you and jumped on-board the iPad train. As it turns out, I was in pretty good company since Apple has sold a metric shit-load since they debuted. The most interesting question surrounding the thing when it debuted was how are people going to use it? Well, I don't know about the rest of the shit-load but I can tell you how I use it and what I think.

ipad1.jpg

• Email. I've got every single email account I use making a stop at my iPad. I use it for both work and personal email. More than one coworker has commented on my early adoption and I'm sure a lot of you have seen the sent from my ipad signature line.
  • Blogging. I've hand crafted many a blog entry using the iPad. As a matter of fact, I'm to the point at which I prefer to use the iPad for blogging since it tends to be a little cooler than the laptop and I do hate roasting my nads.
  • News. The iPad is a news machine. The news apps are fantastic, chief among them Thomson Reuters' offering which was clearly designed to show off just how cool the iPad is. Throw in a news reader and, bam, there are all the blogs I try (and fail) my best to keep up with.
  • Reading. There, I said it. Reading. On something other than paper in traditional book form. The iPad is a killer e-book reader. Of course, some of that depends on the app you're using. There are many more Kindle selections available for Amazon's app but the reading experience on Apple's own iBook reader is superior. Barnes & Noble's contribution is pretty snazzy too. Since buying the iPad I've read six books and loved every minute of it.
  • Movies. Miss an episode of something on TV? Want to catch something on Netflix? The iPad is perfect and whatever you're watching looks so good on it.
  • Kids. Mia and Owen think the iPad is pure magic and were they in possession of $500 each, I'm sure they'd invest in one. But their allowance isn't nearly that good. They love to draw, listen to music, play the piano or bang on the drums. Or, if you're Owen and have just discovered the awesomeness that is old-school Doctor Who, you can constantly request Doctor Hoot Show.

ipad2.jpg

What won't it do? Well, it won't cook dinner, clean the dishes or mow the lawn. But I wouldn't expect it to. I also wouldn't expect it to transform into a master photo editor (it doesn't) and based on Apple's fear and loathing of Flash, there's a lot of video content you just can't get. It probably wouldn't be great to write a novel on either. The onboard keyboard is surprisingly easy to use but the Bluetooth keyboard is a must for extended typing. It doesn't multitask but you can't hold that against it - it'll multitask as soon as the new iPhone OS is released.

Overall, I'm impressed and happy I made the investment when I did. It's no surprise that the folks at Apple are geniuses and the iPad merely confirms it. Will it change the world? Nope. Will it change your life? Maybe a teensy bit.

Now, I have a question - instead of that boring sent from my ipad signature, what should I use instead?

PS - Apple didn't in any way compensate me for anything. I'm a little bummed about that. Steve Jobs, send me free stuff. I am your willing whore.

Posted by Chris at June 8, 2010 6:37 AM
Comments

how about:

"written on a device that restricts my freedom"

:-)

Just kidding. Personally, I won't buy an iPad for many of the reasons that Cory Doctorow outlines but I don't think it makes you a bad person or anything. Too much.

Posted by: Aaron at June 8, 2010 7:36 AM

curious...
what are you using for a RSS reader?
Do you have an app? that will take content offline?
or are you working that online?

I have a hard time with the tag line too... some of them are just downright annoying, so I go for silly.

Posted by: Lisa at June 8, 2010 7:39 AM

I'd like to hear your favorite apps, since I loved some of your iphone apps.

I like ibooks better than the kindle app. I haven't tried the barnes and noble app. What I find strange is that kindle has more books. Wouldn't all the publishers work with all of them?

I love my ipad. I don't have the keyboard though. Do you like it?

Posted by: jodifur at June 8, 2010 7:53 AM

@Lisa,

I use an app called Newsrack. Works great, and integrates with Google Reader, which I normally use on the laptop.

@Chris,

I love The Reuters app. Other good news apps are BBC and NPR.

As for you custom message, how about "This message brought to you by the future."?

Posted by: Allan at June 8, 2010 7:57 AM

My iPhone email sig line has always been "Sent gleefully from my iPhone." After all these years, I'm still downright giddy about it. If I got an iPad, I would have to craft something even more giddy and gleeful.

Posted by: Karen at June 8, 2010 8:03 AM

Is it easy to use? Like for someone like me who is an idiot?

Posted by: William at June 8, 2010 8:46 AM

When you say the people at Apple are geniuses, you, of course, mean marketing geniuses, right? nothing on the iPad hasn't been done before.

And I am an Apple Fanboy - we have a (better value) macbook Pro the kids use for games and we use for eMail (Apple invented this cool thing called a physical keyboard that makes typing so much easier!)

We use Boxee for YouTube and movies and online TV show streaming (not on an AppleTV, though).

The iPad is cool, yes, but way over-priced compared to what is out there. If one has money to throw around, yeah, it is worth getting... hmm.. maybe I'll get one through work...

Posted by: Kaz at June 8, 2010 9:01 AM

"Sent in superiority from my iPad"
"Superiorily yours, from my iPad"
"Kicking your technology ass from my iPad"
"Sent in all my iPad glory"
"Because I am Steve Jobs' whore...sent from my iPad"

Now I have to go do my day job, on a PC. Sigh. Yours truly, DOS girl.

Posted by: MidLifeMama at June 8, 2010 9:06 AM

I use "sent from someone else's iPhone"

Posted by: alektra at June 8, 2010 9:31 AM

I'm not a fan of the "sent from my " signatures because it suggests that you're not giving the email your full attention... you're on the go or you're using "email lite" because you can't be bothered to really sit down and answer people's questions. That may just be my perception but that's why I don't use one on my Blackberry.

Posted by: Brad at June 8, 2010 10:40 AM

How about instead, something to the effect, you are trying to take over the world one email at a time.

Or that you sent it with mind power only.

Posted by: debb at June 8, 2010 11:51 AM

I changed my iPhone signature to "Sent from my mother effing iPhone on a mother effing plane" - completely inappropriate for anything work-related, but I thought it was funny at the time. And I'm never actually on a plane, either.

Posted by: Megan at June 8, 2010 12:03 PM

Have fun on the train. I have no interest in climbing aboard. Except for reading books (which I get for free at the library in good old fashioned paper form), my laptop can do all the things an iPad can. Plus it gets Flash. Plus it does lots of stuff an iPad can't.

My laptop also cost $500 and you've given me no compelling reason to switch so... I am still completely "meh" on this product.

Posted by: Laura Gato at June 8, 2010 3:13 PM

how about "sent from my dreams" ?

Posted by: Jesse Racine at June 8, 2010 9:56 PM

Bryan's says: "Sent from BryPad."

;)

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at June 8, 2010 10:06 PM

Sent from my oversized iPod Touch..?

Posted by: Kaz at June 9, 2010 8:49 AM

Wow. Lots of haters. I for one am totally jealous. I want one.

Posted by: Rachel at June 9, 2010 5:42 PM

So glad to hear you're loving it. I wasn't aware there was a bluetooth keyboard available. I have seen the one that has a dock for iPad, but the pic. of the bluetooth keyboard looks very sleek. Apps is a genius concept. Free or cheap programs for a multitude of sins. I'll be able to do observations of children for my job with my ipad. Until now I have used a defunct palm pda which only occasionally would sync with my pc. I'm geeked about getting my ipad in a couple of weeks.

Posted by: Lojo at June 9, 2010 7:18 PM

Rachel - don't get me wrong - I want one, I just don't think it is worth the money. I mean, I want a Maserati, too.

Posted by: Kaz at June 10, 2010 8:47 AM

Appreciated your thoughts on the iPad. I was originally attracted to it for the reading and potential blogging. I had my own blog custom recoded from the ground up, for a variety of reasons and for several potential functions in mind—the possibility of blogging with an iPad in mind. I live in Photoshop everyday so it's not something I can do hardcore work on, but as you alluded to (and as anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows), that's coming one way or another.

Still, it's the reading with the option of distraction to check email or surf or do anything other than pure reading that I don't like. Reading is total immersion for me.

I'm curious, then. How has that been for you? I like and respect THAT you're a reader. So...has the iPad improved that or contaminated?

Posted by: Todd Clary at June 12, 2010 12:27 PM

Cars and houses are not very cheap and not everyone is able to buy it. Nevertheless, loans was created to support different people in such kind of hard situations.

Posted by: ROWE27Lorene at September 6, 2010 12:59 PM

Its very compact looking nice for home enjoyment stuff.

Posted by: Mesothelioma at September 27, 2010 8:11 AM

Good post, I can’t say that I agree with everything that was said, but very good information overall:)

Posted by: gucci shoes at November 1, 2010 9:30 PM

Yeah it is good article.

Posted by: Catherine A. Murphy at March 2, 2011 2:17 AM

Different people in every country receive the loan from various banks, just because it's easy and fast.

Posted by: loans at November 6, 2011 4:32 AM

Quelqu'un peut-il me dire comment obtenir les avatars peu à montrer dans ma section des commentaires? merci!sdfgsasfg

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 4:47 AM