June 18, 2010

The Weeklies #137

The Weekly Addiction. It's time to come out and admit that I'm addicted to Google Earth for no apparent reason.

The Weekly Sad Fact. According to CNN: President Obama's speech on the gulf oil disaster Tuesday night was written at a 10th-grade level, which, according to analysts, may have gone over the heads of many in his audience.. How sad is that?

The Weekly Foreshadowing. Next week is going to be crazy. Absolutely crazy. If you don't hear from me? It's because I'm hiding.

The Weekly Science Experiment. Scientists are mapping Ozzy Osbourne's genome. Why? They want to figure out why he's still alive and kicking. Maybe they'll also figure out what the hell he's saying.

The Weekly Music. I'm still a little addicted to Pandora though I think I might be too anal for it and the way it arranges and recommends music.

The Weekly Read. Down Among The Dead Men by Robert Gregory Browne was a strange little thriller and mystery. It started straightforward enough but gradually transformed into something else (I won't tell you what because that would ruin it), rooted in deep mystical and cultural beliefs south of the border. Those twists and turns made the book seem less plausible than it had when it started but no less enjoyable or compelling a read. The book was gritty and painted a fairly unflattering (and, my guess, realistic) picture of Mexico and Mexican-American border towns. My only complaints? Two dimensional characters (though Browne really tried to find that third dimension) and dialog that often sounded juvenile.

The Weekly Interesting (And Disturbing) Nugget. Did you know we still execute people by firing squad in this country? If it goes through, Utah death row prisoner Ronnie Lee Gardner will be the third person to die by firing squad in the last 33 years.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Sometime in the past week Perez Hilton posted a picture of Miley Cyrus in which she was quite obviously not wearing underwear. And now, since he's been threatened with imprisonment since she's, you know, jailbait, he's claiming that he fabricated the picture. Yeah. That's better.

The Weekly Question From Mia. What's your favorite dinner?

Posted by Chris at June 18, 2010 7:09 AM
Comments

Hi Mia-

My favorite dinner is pizza and salad. Followed by a close second of my Mom's chicken and dumplings. This time of year, I love all the fresh fruits and veggies too, especially Michigan asparagus. What's yours?

Posted by: Dawn at June 18, 2010 8:06 AM

Hi Mia!

I think it's great you are on the swim team and like how you pursue what you desire.

My favorite dinner is SPAGHETTI!! Lots of cheese, please!

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: coral at June 18, 2010 8:13 AM

I just finished Ozzy's autobiography earlier this week. I too am wondering how he is still alive.

Posted by: COD at June 18, 2010 8:29 AM

A baked potato with sour cream, fresh grilled asparagus and Lobster with lots of butter! Dessert is fresh strawberries with shortcake and whipped cream!

Posted by: Maribeth at June 18, 2010 8:34 AM

Hi Mia:
My favorite supper is homemade macaroni and cheese - made on the stovetop, not in the oven (it's cheesier!)
Great job with the swim team!
Cheers and have a great weekend.

Posted by: Jen at June 18, 2010 8:36 AM

Mia, that is a tough question, because I love food! If I could have anything I wanted tonight though, I would pick eggplant parmesan with roasted asparagus and mushrooms on the side.

Posted by: Elizabeth at June 18, 2010 8:41 AM

Miss Mia - my very favorite dinner is chicken fried chicken, mashed potatoes and fried okra (hold the gravy). This is not in any way healthy nor is it something I have often, but when I do, boy it sure is yummy...

Posted by: Emily at June 18, 2010 8:49 AM

Favorite dinner? Some kind of breakfast.

Utah changed its law in 2004 but allowed those sentenced before that date to still choose. Last night's execution was the last. Now only OK remains and it's only used as a backup (strange).

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at June 18, 2010 9:36 AM

Hi, Mia!

My favorite dinner is grilled steak with lots of mushrooms and some blue cheese on top, and lots of roasted asparagus on the side.

Tell your dad that we would all love to answer questions from Owen, too.

Posted by: Teresa at June 18, 2010 9:44 AM

I like strawberries. Lots and lots of strawberries. And then a grilled cheese sandwich.

Posted by: k8 at June 18, 2010 10:14 AM

Homemade Chicken Parmesan.

Posted by: Brad at June 18, 2010 10:35 AM

LOVE Google Earth!

Almost as much as I love taco night.

Posted by: David at June 18, 2010 10:49 AM

They did execute him, I saw the headline online. I'm against the death penalty, as it seems simple revenge to me and dumb. It is terribly expensive.

I didn't see or read the Obama speech. Not surprised about the comprehension level. On a regular basis, I read how so few can name a Supreme Court Justice or Heads of State.

I enjoy Google Earth, what I find most interesting is googling little towns. It's surprising that they pop up.

Favorite meal is Rahmschnitzel. Veal in cream sauce with fried potatoes or fries.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at June 18, 2010 11:34 AM

My name is Hillary, and I'm also a Google Earth addict. There's no shame in it!

I think my favorite dinner is either spaghetti or tacos.

Posted by: bad penguin at June 18, 2010 11:38 AM

Hi Miss Mia! First I have to tell you how great it is that you're on your swim team. You should be so proud of yourself for working so hard!

My favorite dinner is grilled peppers, mushrooms, and onions on pasta with alfredo sauce. Sometimes I like to have that with either chicken or steak or salmon, but the best part is always the veggies and pasta.

Posted by: zanie at June 18, 2010 12:25 PM

The reason Utah executes by firing squad is because of the Mormon philosophy of blood atonement. They believe that some sins are too great to be atoned by Jesus's blood; you have to shed your own. Basically, if you die by blood atonement you can be forgiven. Which is why the guy chose it, I'm sure.

Posted by: kalisa at June 18, 2010 1:38 PM

I think one of my very favourite meals is "interesting" pizza! I like putting new and different ingredients on - like lots of different vegetables and cheeses, and changing the tomato sauce to pesto or something else - it just keeps it interesting!

Posted by: Heather at June 18, 2010 1:47 PM

Hi Mia,

My favorite dinner is my mom's homemade anything. She is the best cook I know. She makes a mean cornbread that I enjoy with her vegetable beef soup.

My favorite dessert is cheesecake.

What is your favorite dinner, princess?

Posted by: debb at June 18, 2010 1:56 PM

My favorite dinner is what I am having tonight- ground turkey tacos with all the condiments (cheese, lots of avocado, lettuce, onion and tomatoes). Oh and refried beans (not black beans- I don't like those)!

Posted by: Amy at June 18, 2010 2:00 PM

Mia! So nice to hear from you! My favorite dinner is tacos! What's yours?!

Posted by: kris at June 18, 2010 4:00 PM

Mia:

That's a tough one! There are a lot of really good dinners out there. I think my current favorite is probably chicken caesar salad. The way we make it is to marinate the chicken in italian dressing, grill it, and then dice it up in the salad. YUM!

Posted by: Kris H. at June 18, 2010 4:05 PM

I shall be hiding for the rest of the month due to the crazy with my job.

I heart Google Earth.

My favorite dinner would be a toss-up between sushi and fondue. With mango iced tea.

Posted by: Melissa at June 18, 2010 5:07 PM

I like Pandora.

And I love Google Earth.

Dinner? I could eat spaghetti every night.

Posted by: diamond dave at June 18, 2010 5:58 PM

Hey Miss Mia,

I have always loved tri-tip steak, a baked potato with loads of bacon bits, garlic bread and a green tossed salad with oil and vinegar.

What's your favorite dinner?

Posted by: Dianna at June 18, 2010 10:12 PM

My favorite dinner is duck with plum sauce and mashed potatoes :)
Have a great weekend!!

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at June 19, 2010 1:38 AM

Hi Mia,

My favorite dinner is anything I don't have to cook!! And if I have to narrow that down it would be pasta with mushrooms in an olive oil and garlic sauce.

What's your favorite dinner?

Posted by: Krush at June 19, 2010 2:24 PM

Happy Father's Day Chris.

Posted by: Heather at June 20, 2010 1:03 PM

Ozzy is a bit of a mystery -- Keith Richards too for that matter.

The execution went ahead. And it was announced on Twitter. Somehow that lacks dignity.

My favourite dinner:
I love great big family dinners that sort of come together at the last minute.

Favourite meal: I love lobster (usually served at said family dinners) with lots and lots of butter, complete with rolls for the bakery. Mmmmmm...

But I also really love it when The Boy, my son, makes me scrambled eggs.

Posted by: Nat at June 20, 2010 4:16 PM

Hi Mia! Congratulations on making the swim team! That is awesome!

My favourite dinner is definitely pizza. My favourite combination of toppings is salami, mushrooms, onion, green pepper, olives and feta cheese. Yummm!

Posted by: Delia at June 21, 2010 1:55 AM