July 29, 2010

High School U.S.A.

How much do you remember about high school?

I was bored the other night so I decided to Facebook-stalk people from my past. I found a group dedicated to my high school and narrowed the search down to the year I graduated and started looking at names and faces I haven't thought of in years. Now, my class was pretty big - 417 people to be exact, not counting Tommy Carter who was not allowed to walk with the class since they discovered during rehearsal that he wasn't wearing anything under his graduation robe - so it's not surprising that I didn't know everyone. But it still felt strange realizing that I only vaguely recognized the vast majority of the people I'd gone to high school with. Many were just complete strangers.

During the search I made an interesting discovery. I found out that the first girl I ever dated in high school now works for the same company I do, about a three minute walk from my very own office. She turned out to be not all that nice. For example, I never got past first base and I discovered that I was just a temporary replacement for a long-term boyfriend who was living abroad for a year. But I should totally find her office and ask her to the prom today, right?

Anyway, I'm quite sure this is indicative of a large issue, mainly that I'm losing my mind. I think I should remember more about it and about the people I spent four years of my life with. Am I the only one who can't remember much of high school? What's your most vivid memory of high school? And should I walk over and surprise my mean and prude ex-girlfriend?

______________________

P.S., based on your feedback yesterday, it was clear I need to search my site stats and make sure I had the right set of demographics. I think you'll find these more satisfactory.

graph2.jpg

Update: It has been brought to my attention that I probably already mentioned that high-school girlfriend discovery. Um, yeah. This merely confirms that I am losing my mind.

Posted by Chris at July 29, 2010 6:37 AM
Comments

OK. I've just got to ask. What are 'mimes' and 'ninjas'?

Posted by: Sam Jones at July 29, 2010 7:12 AM

Its not just you. I have a photos of a girl I knew in high school. In the picture, she's sitting on a fallen tree in the woods. I took the picture and developed it myself.

Yet, I have absolutely no memory of the event, and to be honest, I cannot recall a single memory of being with this girl. I know the name and the face, and even the sound of her voice, but everything else is a blur.

Sadly, Chris, it only gets worse from here. Write you name on all your clothes so that somebody will return you when you get lost.

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at July 29, 2010 7:29 AM

I clearly remember "the Wall" where all the punk rockers/misfits hung out (myself included). It was just this wall with a little platform we would all congregate between classes. I also remember the smoking area (on school property!). This area combined the rockers, punks and preps for nicotine fixes. It really was like a John Hughes movie.
I actually remember quite a bit from high school come to think of it.

Posted by: m at July 29, 2010 8:04 AM

Dude, you already told us that the girl you dated works for your company, so you didnt just discover it last night on facebook! You are losing it...stick with watching fat kids at the pool. Less stressful.

Posted by: linda at July 29, 2010 8:23 AM

I can't remember people from high school and I have only been out of high school for 10 years now. Our graduating class was not 400+ people either! I think you are doing good if you remember any of them.

Have a good day.

Posted by: Winna at July 29, 2010 8:26 AM

i went to 4 high schools in 3 years, in 3 states (1 for 10th grade, 2 for 11th grade one for 12th), so what I mostly remember is moving. However, I made a few friends at the 10th grade school (Lubbock Texas) and the 12th grade school (Potomac MD) that I lost touch with over the 30 years since and because of facebook have been able to reconnect and rekindle some awesome relationships!

The most revealing thing I found out was that in 12th grade I was quite the party animal. I certainly don't remember it that way, but apparently its in black & white in my dusted off recently cracked open year book.

go figure.

Posted by: 3jaysmom at July 29, 2010 8:50 AM

with the advent of Facebook a lot of people I apparently went to high school with have found me. I, however, have had to get out my yearbook to remember them. I only graduated with 201 people. Also, there was a reunion this year (I didn't go to) but reading the "memories" that people were leaving about high school made me sure that I went to another high school than these folks, because if not I was 1) very unpopular or 2) was in an alternate universe during high school. I'm hoping it's #2!

Posted by: daisy at July 29, 2010 8:59 AM

I have very vivid memories of high school, some bad some good, but then Our "graduating" class was very small.

My high school (In Scotland) had only 25 in our final year. Its a little different in Scotland in that you only have to go to school until your 16 so a lot of people dropped out then. If you wanted to go to coolege though you needed to stay a further 2 years. I still keep in contact with many of the people from my final year and also am nosey and check on many others on Facebook and friends Reunited ( The UK equivalent of classmates.com).

Posted by: Steven at July 29, 2010 9:21 AM

I graduated in a class of 26, so I'm getting a kick out these replies. I think 22 or 23 of us are on FB.

Posted by: COD at July 29, 2010 9:21 AM

I don't remember a damn thing about growing up. The handful of friends that have kept track of ME (not the other way around) try to jog my memory on occasion, but I'm perfectly content living in today.

Posted by: k8 at July 29, 2010 9:48 AM

My memories of high school are a bit vague, with the exception of my final year. There were a fair amount that graduated - actually, in my country we say 'matriculated' because grade 12 is refered to as matric here, but I digress - although not as many as what you mentioned, but I can't remember everyone. I remember a fair amount of first names, but very few surnames. Somewhere on one of my photo albums I have a photo that was taken just before the end of that year - the gathered all of us together in the sports hall, and a photographer went up to a room that was at the top of the hall and took a shot of all of us gathered below. We each got a copy and I thought it was a pretty cool momento.

I am still in touch with a good couple of friends from high school days, and a lot of people I'd totally forgotten about found me on Facebook. Makes finding (and ninja-style stalking) people so much easier these days!

Posted by: Delia at July 29, 2010 9:55 AM

Coming from a class of 73, Facebook stalking is actually kind of interesting - although I would never friend any of them!

Posted by: Heather at July 29, 2010 10:05 AM

if i looked up my high school class, i'd be much in the same boat. the fact is, they ARE all strangers. (my theory is that all high schoolers are strangers in a strange land). real life post-high school is much better. besides, i've spent 14 years trying to repress my high school experiences.

Posted by: Nichole at July 29, 2010 11:08 AM

p.s. how nice of you to let a lot of us be ninjas (i don't know about those ninja-mimes, tho!)

Posted by: Nichole at July 29, 2010 11:10 AM

I hated high school. I found on facebook that there were people that I wished well a lot more than I thought. But as a pack mentality, I wanted most of them to... well, let's just say I understood "Carrie" a little too well...

As for remembering, some of the less interesting people, I have trouble remembering. Then I look at their friends whom I do remember and think, "Oh, well, they weren't really worth remembering." I figure the same can be said of me to a lot of them.

Posted by: alektra at July 29, 2010 11:21 AM

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I don't remember hearing about the first-girlfriend thing.

I remember EVERYTHING about high school. And I've been keeping a journal for a long time, so when I don't remember, I go back and look. I loved high school, so I have tons of vivid memories: my then-boyfriend getting hit (on purpose) with a baseball bat in PE, meeting my then-and-now Best Friend In The World, running in from the rain and locking eyes with the guy who would change my life forever (in a mostly-good way). It's all like it was yesterday. But that doesn't mean you're losing your mind; I'm just compulsive about recording these things.

I'm sure that was really helpful. I hope you don't get committed, but I imagine it could be relaxing. They feed you, they tell you how to feel; what's to fret about? ;-)

Posted by: Brooke at July 29, 2010 11:52 AM

I don't remember much of high school. It was 18 years ago and I had a graduating class of 1000+. And really? I didn't have a great time or create a ton of memories with the people in my high school. So - best forgotten.

I have no ninja skills. None. I suck. And sometimes, I can be an asshat. I normally try to walk away when I'm feeling asshat-ish - but sometimes, I don't. Apologies if I'm ever an asshat.

Posted by: Mindy at July 29, 2010 12:54 PM

I think our graduating class (1997) was like 300 kids...maybe? And I hardly remember ANYONE (or anything). When I look up our class on FB, I have no idea who I'm looking at. So I go back to my yearbook to verify they actually went to school with me. I get a lot of friend requests from former classmates, and even after looking in my yearbook, it still doesn't jog my memory. It's almost like those 4 years never happened, but I was high (or drunk) a lot. Maybe that explains it?

Posted by: js at July 29, 2010 1:40 PM

Am I devoted or a ninja or a devoted ninja?

Posted by: Maribeth at July 29, 2010 5:03 PM

Finding high school friends on FB made me feel old. Before I saw all of their photos (where they look old), all of the old high school friends were preserved in time in my mind, I suppose, and therefor I was too. But when I saw how old they all were, then I realized I must be old, too. Damn Facebook.

Best high school memories - marching band, pep rallies, football games, band competitions. The band thing means I recognize lots of people on FB, from my year and others. Lots more old people.

Posted by: Teresa at July 29, 2010 5:04 PM

I have to say my vivid memory of high school has got to be running into a couple of teachers at the local bar/night-club.... Our drinking age is 19....and "in those days"...you could still "sneak in"...but it was way weird to sit and have a beer with someone who was going to teach you how to dissect a cow eye the following morning.

The other memory was the automotive department discovering "roach clips" in a teacher's car they were working on....lol....sure makes you think differently about them!

Posted by: Lujza at July 30, 2010 1:48 AM

Haha love the revised stats - I kind of wanted to be a ninja, too ;-)
My most vivid memories of high school are not particularly happy ones, so I shan't share :P

Posted by: Heather at July 30, 2010 11:48 AM

That's crazy that she works right there when you don't live where you grew up anymore! Small world! I'd say you should email her and see how she is in email (without telling her you're next door)

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at July 31, 2010 4:00 AM

OK, I've just been catching up as I've been a lazy blog reader lately. The whole fat kid thing I agree with. I've noticed it around where I live. I people watch all the time when I'm on my patio as it faces the parking lot of our complex. There is one family who eats fast food pretty much every day and yes they are all a little overweight. I always wonder what they are teaching their kids by not cooking.

What a crazy world we live in and it makes me a little nervous of when we bring our own little people into this world.

Posted by: Adi at July 31, 2010 12:19 PM

J'ai pensé qu'il allait y avoir une certaine message ennuyeux, mais c'est vraiment compensé pour mon temps. Je vais poster un lien vers cette page sur mon blog. Je suis sûr que mes visiteurs trouveront que très utile454684

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 3:32 AM