July 26, 2010

How The Weekend Kicked My Ass

Oh. My. God. I can't believe it's Monday and I'm so ill-prepared. I have just been through the parenting equivalent of a marathon. Which is this:

Saturday. Mia's final swim meet was an all day affair which began precisely at 7:00 and ended somewhere around 3:30. And it was approximately one billion degrees outside. We were lucky in that we didn't have to stay for the whole thing but, instead, made two separate trips separated by lunch, playing and recovery. Of course, Mia being Mia, we had to hit our neighborhood pool for the remainder of the afternoon. And did I mention it was a billion degrees (in the shade)?

Sunday. Mia's birthday party. Twenty-something kids at the neighborhood pool. Once again, a billion degrees. Beth and I prepped, got the pool ready, mowed the grass, cleaned up the house then did the whole party thing. It kicked ass until the storm moved in with, apparently, seventy mile an hour winds (I wasn't measuring but apparently the weather guys were). So all the kids and their parents ran from the pool to our house, crowded into our kitchen a living room and ended up having a grand old time despite the weather. Everyone we were related to stayed behind for dinner. And then Beth and I drank like winos and I mourned the loss of the weekend and the return to work. And went to bed at 9:15.

Now here I am. No amount of coffee is going to make this day productive.

What did you guys do with your weekends?

Posted by Chris at July 26, 2010 6:52 AM
Comments

Thanks for having us yesterday. We went to bed at 9:15 also, but because we had no power.

Posted by: jodifur at July 26, 2010 7:29 AM

I finally did the ironing. Yes, you heard me right. After three weeks of putting off this terrible job, I bit the bullet and did it. Aren't you proud!

Posted by: Maribeth at July 26, 2010 8:02 AM

Thanks for asking. I got a speeding ticket for going 5 miles over the speed limit. Oh well...payback for all those times I didn't get a ticket I suppose.

Posted by: daisy at July 26, 2010 8:27 AM

Although weekends like that are fun, they do go by in a blur!

Spend the weekend at our cottage NEAR a lake (always feel like I have to point that out). Rainy Friday so we watched a movie and went out for dinner.

Saturday our son came up so the menfolk fished and I laid in the sun and we spent the evening drinking beer and eating dinner and swimming with our "right-of-way" friends.

Sunday was a little more sun and water and fishing and then packed up and home by 6.

Nice and long.

Posted by: NancyJ at July 26, 2010 8:34 AM

Sounds like a heck of a weekend!

I watched a few movies, read a book, logged some time in the sun and slept more than my fair share.

Oh, dear. It sounds like I'm gloating... I didn't mean to! Promise!

Posted by: Emily at July 26, 2010 8:47 AM

I'm tired just hearing about your weekend!

I worked on some craft projects and we spent a lot of time hanging out with friends.

Posted by: Hope at July 26, 2010 9:09 AM

I wish we had got some rain. The storms managed to completely miss us, again.

I took the day off Friday to do the roundtrip drive to Penn State to retrieve my son from camp. 500 miles RT, for the 2nd time in a week. And yesterday we moved the horse to a new farm.

Posted by: COD at July 26, 2010 9:34 AM

Sick all weekend. But I've been sick for a week now...

Posted by: alektra at July 26, 2010 11:16 AM

I worked at my second, unpaid job as cleaning lady and laundress. It took me 3 days to add 1,000 words to my novel. BUT, I got to spend an hour with Time magazine and a Coke in the sun yesterday trying to get some color on my pasty legs, and my daughter came home yesterday. Haven't seen her in three weeks and now I get her all to myself! So, not a total loss, but, like yours, exhausting.

Posted by: Brooke at July 26, 2010 11:42 AM

I bought a car on Saturday, and that totally exhausted me (we left the house at 11 and didn't get home until 5). Sunday was going well until we decided to climb onto the roof to do some tree work. The combination of hot roof (hot!!!) and climbing ladders / heights took whatever energy I had left. And now I'm sore today.

Sounds like your weekend, while exhausting, was fun! Perhaps it's time to lobby for the 4-day work week? :)

Posted by: Kelly at July 26, 2010 12:31 PM

This weekend was my family reunion. We had a lot of fun laying by the pool, playing with the kids, and eating way too much. Oh, and I also participated in my first bar crawl since college. All in all, a good, but busy weekend.

Posted by: Krush at July 26, 2010 1:04 PM

Hm. Well, the highlight of my weekend, I think, was waking up at 8:53 when I was supposed to be at the church to teach Sunday School at 9. I managed to get there by 9:10, so I'm pretty proud of that heh. Other than that, the weekend involved several naps. W00t.

Posted by: Heather at July 26, 2010 1:40 PM

we were at theums.com most of the weekend. You would have totally loved it.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at July 26, 2010 1:42 PM

Wow. That sounds like fun for you! Gosh, I've been reading your blog for over 5 years now?!! LOL I came in just around Mia Bean was was still a bean. :) Remembering her bath time pic with fantastic mohawk hair. LOL!

I lost my weekend as well. Saturday, we were at the Long Beach Street Food Festival, stuffing our faces with food truck grubs. Our friend Aurora brought over 2-year-old Dresden and 4-month old Chloe for the afternoon and we went to the park. Seriously, where does a 2-year-old get his energy from?!?!

Sunday I was in LA rehearsing with an improv group for a secret project, followed by a lunch and window shopping with a friend. A huge load of laundry awaited me when I got home. Heh.

Posted by: oakmonster at July 26, 2010 3:29 PM

we had 10 kids and their parents over for lola's 3rd birthday party. i woke up in the middle of the night afterward thinking i was dying of a brain hemorrhage but i guess it must have just been a stress headache :)

and today has been a real Monday...

Posted by: kati at July 26, 2010 8:35 PM