July 2, 2010

The Weeklies #139

The Weekly Soul-Crusher. The 23 hours I've spent in meetings during the last three business days.

The Weekly Soul Un-Crusher. Long holiday weekend, baby!

The Weekly TV Show I Can't Seem To Stop Watching. America's Got Talent. Okay, so The Hoff is gone but Howie Mandel is so much better. It's a sad and guilty pleasure I know. So sue me.

The Weekly Wise Words From Spam. Change your style. Make your surrenders pay attention when you wear moddish cufflinks. A close second? Your willie stay rock-like.

The Weekly Read. This time last summer I was spending some quality time with the first draft of what would become Marshall Karp's latest novel Cut, Paste, Kill. I just finished the final draft (available in bookstores everywhere!). I loved the novel then and I loved it as much if not more the second time around. It was also interesting to see the tweaks Marshall made over time, to see the book with the cover art Marshall debated, and, of course, to see my family and me in the acknowledgements. All-in-all, Cut, Paste, Kill is a damn fine book. Seriously. You should own a copy.

The Weekly Shocking But Not Really News. Larry King is retiring from his long-running (and ultimately pretty pathetic) CNN talk show. I kinda figured he'd just die in that chair. Like, one day they'd do the little voice-over introduction, pan the camera over to him and then have to say uh, we're sorry everyone, it seems that Larry is dead.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Mel Gibson is in trouble once again. Instead of ranting about Jews and calling officers of the law sugar tits, Mel has apparently beaten the crap out of his former ex-girlfriend and mother of his child while also launching into tirades in which he dropped the n-bomb and expressing his desire for his ex to be gang-raped. Classy dude.

The Weekly Question. I like Cinderella, Little Mermaid and Lady Ga-Ga music. What's your favorite right now?

Posted by Chris at July 2, 2010 7:57 AM
Comments

No favorites at the moment. Can't say I'll miss Larry - haven't watched him in years. As for Mel, he's a pig.

Have a safe, happy 4th. Some fireworks are legal here so we'll be doing a few with our neighbors. Our town and several others in the area have canceled their displays due to economy. I'll watch Boston and San Francisco on t.v. Maybe even D.C. I'm a kid when it comes to fireworks.

Our wedding anniversary (21) was yesterday so we'll combine it with the 4th on Sunday with KFC and listen to our arteries harden. At least the cole slaw is sort of healthy and I figure once a year won't kill us.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at July 2, 2010 9:05 AM

Nothing at the moment. I've been too busy, even for music. Gotta stop that!

Posted by: Maribeth at July 2, 2010 9:20 AM

I just finished Cut, Paste, and Kill (in 2 days) and it was another fun read. I love Big Jim. And I ALWAYS read the acknowledgements in books but I didn't read them this time when I actually know who's being acknowledged. I'll have to go back and read them.

Posted by: Carolyn at July 2, 2010 9:43 AM

so, um, "Don't Know What You've Got (til it's gone)" and "Nobody's Fool" Cinderella or "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" Cinderella?

I'm finding it odd how I'm cranking the Lady Gaga when I hear it as well... And a little embarassed to admit the same for some Ke$ha. But I know THAT will go away soon.

Posted by: harmzie at July 2, 2010 10:00 AM

Oh Miss Mia, I'm glad you don't really (hopefully!) understand the lyrics of LG. Do you swim as well as mermaids?

Posted by: Heather at July 2, 2010 10:18 AM

Mel Gibson - making racists everywhere look slightly better in comparison. I'm glad he went to all that "therapy". Seems to have helped so much.

Music - I am really loving Zoe Keating's new album Into the Trees. I also LOVE Regina Spektor's album Far. My daughter who is 6 loves these too. We have also been enjoying TMBG's Here Comes Science.

My gal heard LGs Bad Romance (which is an awesome pop song for ME) at her friends house. We had to have a talk about it because she had a LOT of questions about the words. She decided that "maybe I'll listen to it more when I'm like 8. That might be better." Ha! She cracks me up.

We're not big on censoring music or books but we do talk about them a lot re: what they mean, how they make us feel etc...

We do however have an awesome quick hand with all Ben Folds songs for his liberal use of the word fuck. We do so love Rocking the Suburbs. :)

Posted by: tulip at July 2, 2010 10:38 AM

At the moment, I am loving that song "Billionaire" by Travie McCoy. It's so mainstream but so damned catchy.

Posted by: Claire at July 2, 2010 11:28 AM

I guess my favorite right now would have to be Twilight. I broke down and read the books last year and loved them. The acting could be better, but they did a better job in Eclipse.

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at July 2, 2010 11:51 AM

"All In" by Lifehouse. It's got a good beat and something about it just makes me really happy. I've been grooving hard to it for the past couple of days.

Posted by: Judy at July 2, 2010 12:25 PM

HAH! AGT isn't even a guilty pleasure in this household ... it's a full-fledged card-carrying member of the can't-miss-it club. And yep, Howie is loads better than drunken master was. As for music, my favorite for a number of years has been the Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique. Smashing.

Posted by: Lisa at July 2, 2010 2:27 PM

Justin Bieber, Mia, Justin Bieber!

Posted by: Heidi at July 2, 2010 6:06 PM

I just put a hold on Cut, Paste, Kill from the library :) I'm quite excited for that, now!

Posted by: Heather at July 2, 2010 9:10 PM

Yeah, the Mel Gibson thing really bothers me! You think you know someone from watching them in movies....

Posted by: alfredsmom at July 2, 2010 9:59 PM

So, would you recommend reading Marshall's Lomax & Biggs books in order? Or can I just jump in with "Cut, Paste, Kill"?

And my favorite music right now is the latest Apples In Stereo album. And I love this pop song called "Hey You" by the French band Pony Pony Run Run. It came out last year or maybe in 2008 even, so it's not exactly cutting edge. But for some reason (maybe because I was just in France?) it's been going through my head lately.

Posted by: Alison at July 3, 2010 12:26 AM

Favourite music... very much enjoying Tragically Hip right now.

Posted by: Nat at July 3, 2010 1:18 PM

I switch between Kidz Bop 17 and the Heavy Metal mix that iTunes Genius offers up.

Posted by: Brad at July 3, 2010 6:45 PM

Oh My I love Cinderella...Nobody's Fool was my favorite song, I wore out my cassette tape.

Posted by: Dee at July 3, 2010 8:19 PM

I read Cut, Paste, Kill on vacation last week. I had a scary hour or two waiting for my mom to finish it... I let her borrow it while I was finishing another book - I had to tell her to stop playing with the grandkids and FINISH THE BOOK ALREADY a couple of times. I've learned my lesson tho! Give mom the OTHER book, not the Marshall Karp book! (I think I got her hooked tho - she was laughing out loud while reading and quoting Big Jim all weekend.)
I was excited to see you and Beth and the kids mentioned in the acknowledgements. (I found that on my own!) I was telling all my relatives that we vacationed with that I "know" this guy. :)
Great book... Marshall needs to keep writing - and fast! I have a Lomax and Biggs craving!!

Posted by: Kim at July 7, 2010 9:21 AM

J'ai pensé qu'il allait y avoir une certaine message ennuyeux, mais c'est vraiment compensé pour mon temps. Je vais poster un lien vers cette page sur mon blog. Je suis sûr que mes visiteurs trouveront que très utile434443

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 3:31 AM