July 23, 2010

The Weeklies #142

The Weekly Oh. Oh my god, I'm worn out. Two days of meetings, two days of a conference that I helped put together, a sick Owen and a birthday girl will wear you out!

The Weekly Event. Mia's birthday, of course.

The Weekly Beer. Dogfish Head 60-Minute IPA.

The Weekly Read. Vicious by Kevin O'Brien is pretty much the perfect summer read. It's a mystery and thriller with a splash of horror all in one. While there's nothing truly original or surprising about it, it's pretty compelling and kept the pages turning quickly. Vicious isn't fine literature nor is it about to win any literary prizes but it was well worth the read.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Shirley Sherrod was removed from her USDA job earlier in the week when a videotape of her surfaced which seemed to indicate that she was more than a little racist. People went nuts. Then a little context was added. The tape was part of a larger one in which Sherrod explains that how she conducted herself twenty years earlier was wrong. People went nuts again. She was offered a new job. She spoke to the President. Why didn't the administration find out the truth before jettisoning her? Who knows.

The Weekly Time-Waster. PixEvo - The Fountain.

The Weekly Question. What are you watching this summer? My TiVo is very, very bored.

Posted by Chris at July 23, 2010 6:44 AM
Comments

Reruns and old movies. My TIVO is too!

Posted by: Maribeth at July 23, 2010 7:09 AM

Summer Series - I love the whole concept of the summer series and I watch a lot of them.

Royal Pains, Psych, White Collar, Burn Notice, Warehouse 13, Haven, The Closer, Covert Affairs, Drop Dead Diva, Persons Unknown, The Glades, The Gates and a few others.

Doctor Who is by far my fav (and all my kids like it too.)

Posted by: Meredith at July 23, 2010 7:48 AM

No big changes in my t.v. viewing except much more Giants baseball. We have upgraded to HD and added a DVR to our cable. Still have 500 channels with nothing much on any of them.

Think the Dems will ever develop a spine? I am still furious. I expect the news channel that isn't to spew tripe but I didn't expect us to fall meekly in line.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at July 23, 2010 8:40 AM

Hells Kitchen and Top Chef, True Blood, Memphis Blues,

Posted by: Lisa at July 23, 2010 8:43 AM

I am not much of a tv person, but here's what I do watch (when I remember): Warehouse 13, Dr. Who, Being Human (new season starts Sat. on BBC America). Good luck!

Posted by: Elizabeth at July 23, 2010 9:33 AM

DVRing this summer; The Closer, WipeOut, Big Brother, Deadliest Catch, Top Chef, ABC Primetime Special Series on Family Secrets, Say Yes to the Dress....and my husband can't wait til the fall shows start...he keeps asking me when Big Loser starts up again. Do I look like the Tv Guide?

Posted by: NancyJ at July 23, 2010 10:03 AM

Rizzoli and Isles just started 2 weeks ago on TNT and it has been really good so far. Rizzoli is a female cop and Isles is a female medical examiner. Based on a series of books.

Covert Affairs also started 2 weeks ago on USA and is also pretty decent. It's about a new CIA agent.

Posted by: Kris H. at July 23, 2010 10:39 AM

If you haven't watched Breaking Bad yet, rent it and start. It's a great series.

Posted by: Lisa V at July 23, 2010 10:53 AM

Well, I'm not the person to un-bore your TiVo, sorry. We've been watching the end of the last "Deadliest Catch" season, when Capt. Phil died, so that's been a bummer. The kids like Mythbusters and my 2 year old likes Phineas and Ferb. But we've been reading books and writing books so the TV hasn't been on much.

Posted by: Brooke at July 23, 2010 11:48 AM

Netfllix Streaming old episodes of cool stuff. Art 21 is a good series from PBS and Ira Glass has some great This American Life shows.

Wait, what am I? A friggin' eighty year old woman?

Gulp.

Posted by: Jenn Benn at July 23, 2010 2:00 PM

I made it through all seven seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer this summer. Didn't cry once...ok, I did sniff a few times.

Posted by: rcat at July 23, 2010 4:45 PM

I like Lie to Me. Other than that I haven't been watching anything, just reading a lot.
And back to the 'freude - I think that in some cases the recording of everything and the possibility of video or audio or whatever of 30 seconds of your life to be taken out of context...can be very dangerous. I think perhaps without it, people would have to be more aware of the whole picture, more of a person's actions and life than a sound byte. Context is, after all, critical to correct interpretation.

Posted by: Heather at July 23, 2010 5:51 PM

we're renting breaking bad (sooooo good) and rome, i'm tivo'ing jersey shore (for reals) and am counting down the days to mad men starting up again.

Posted by: meanie at July 23, 2010 8:31 PM

Rizzoli and Isles. The Good Guys. Psych. The rest is just something to watch so I don't have to go to bed early. All kids of crap: Rookie Blue, Burn Notice, White Collar, Covert Affairs just started (so I don't know if it will work out or not), Warehouse 13.

I have read a ton, too. Found a great new author - Sophie Hannah. Try and pick up "The Dead Lie Down." I was so happy to find a new author to enjoy. She is suspenseful, gritty, off-the-wall, smart, and mysterious. I just read another book by Hannah last night - Little Face. Good, but not nearly as good as The Dead Lie Down.

Posted by: Jen at July 23, 2010 9:04 PM

lucky for you Jersey Shore is starting up again this thursday ;)
Fist Pump!

Posted by: steph d at July 23, 2010 9:06 PM

Hot in Cleveland is a funny show.

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at July 23, 2010 11:41 PM

Happy Birthday to Mia!

I'm watching the current season of Lie to Me, The Good Guys (a surprisingly great show!) and So You Think You Can Dance. Outside of that, I recently purchased the entire boxed set of Dead Like Me. I loved that series and the boxed set contains all the seasons plus the movie.

Posted by: coolchick at July 24, 2010 3:54 PM

HI, missed little Mia's bd....Happy Birthday precious one, she is so lucky to have you and Beth as parents, do not ever second guess a thing you do...(and yes I am still available for adoption,,,sigh)....I don't watch TV, except for Deadliest Catch...(it's the fishing family thing, my dad, granddad, great granddad, etc...you get my drift) and Antiques Roadshow (I love me an estate auction, was at one today), I;m sure neither of these would interest you....but you asked...lol

Posted by: Roberta at July 25, 2010 12:22 AM

I've been watching two types of films:

1) B&W films made in the US between 1930 and 1965, like His Girl Friday, It Happened One Night, and To Kill a Mockingbird.

2) Colour films made in the UK between 1970 and 2000, like Quadrophenia, Local Hero (okay, partly shot in Texas), and Nil by Mouth.

TV shows? Not so much.

And now you know why my friends complain they can never talk about TV with me :-).

Posted by: Kat at July 25, 2010 8:04 PM

Persons Unknown, The Closer, Burn Notice, Next Food Network Star, HGTV's Design Star, Big Brother (it's an illness I know), Pretty Little Liars, Top Chef, Challenge, Cupcake Wars, Chopped, Iron Chef America. Basically if it's a competition on Food Network I'm watching it.

Posted by: Jennifer at July 26, 2010 11:17 AM

the new season of mad men started yesterday!! and we also slush our brains with big brother. awful, i know :)

Posted by: kati at July 26, 2010 8:37 PM

Following your recommendation, I read Lisa(?) Lutz's the Spellman Files... hysterical. Thanks

Posted by: Nat at July 29, 2010 12:03 AM