July 14, 2010

Tattoo You

There's a lady who frequents our neighborhood pool. She's relatively young - maybe early thirties - she has a one year old boy and is currently quite pregnant. What makes her memorable isn't any of this stuff. It's the fact that she's covered in very mediocre tattoos.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against tattoos. Some are incredibly awesome, true works of art. But some aren't. This would include the arm-length portrait of a dog named Palmer (I know its name is Palmer because the tattoo itself is captioned in large, fancy script just above the elbow) on this woman's right arm. I'm sure she loved the dog. I'm sure it was a very special dog. Maybe Palmer was her only childhood friend after her parents perished in a horrific car accident. Maybe Palmer pulled her from burning wreckage. I get that kind of sentimentality. What I don't get, though, is the Ratt tattoo on her shoulderblade. Ratt? Really? They were, at best, a second-rate hair metal band that had some good hits (Round and Round and Way Cool Jr) but, I'm sorry, they were a poor man's Whitesnake with half the talent and yes I know what I'm talking about because I own the entire Ratt and Whitesnake catalog thankyouverymuch (shut up).

I've always been tempted to get a tattoo. I've just never been able to figure out exactly what wouldn't look terrible thirty years down the line. Plus I just don't think I'm a tattoo kinda guy. I'll just have to get my nipples pierced.

Do you have tattoos? Ever considered one? What's the worst that you've seen?

Posted by Chris at July 14, 2010 7:00 AM
Comments

Please tell me you're kidding about the nipples.

No tattoos for me but my sons and my oldest granddaughter more than make up for my lack. Youngest son's email address begins with tatoo (tattoo was already taken). And I have a cousin who worked for the premier artist in San Francisco.

When I was young, the only tattoos I saw on women were in the carnival. Times have changed and some of them are beautiful. I'm with you though. I wouldn't want to have something permanent that I grew to hate. And I'm chicken. The bravest things I did to my body were to pierce my ears and dye my very blond hair jet black (along with every towel in the house and the bathroom sink).

Having said that, I'm not against them. They're just not for me.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at July 14, 2010 7:17 AM

My husband and I seek out bad tattoos on people for entertainment! It is a sub catagory of people watching.

The worst I have seen would be a toss up between a girl who had two huge strawberries -one on each butt cheek- or a lady with the word "butter" on her shoulder blade.

I am not the type of person that can successfully pull off a tattoo but if I were to ever try I would have the word "breathe" or something that would symbolize breathing.

Posted by: Winna at July 14, 2010 8:26 AM

A unicorn on a guy. Like you, I was at the pool and had to make my kids move in a direction where I could verify that it was indeed a unicorn without being too obvious. Upon inspection, the tip of the horn was topped by a lovely mole. Adding insult to injury, it was poorly done - almost looked like a prison tattoo.

Posted by: Kristi at July 14, 2010 8:28 AM

I have nine tattoos and a couple more in the planning process. I made sure to think long and hard about what I wanted. Like you Chris, I thought about down the road. When I'm an 85 yr old woman sitting on the porch, do I really want to explain a questionable tattoo to my grandkids? I think not.

The big rule I follow is no tattooing my husband's name on me. My kids, people who have died? Yes. I believe in the spouse/significant other curse.

Mine are all in places that I can easily show people but they are hidden with a short sleeve shirt at work. I'm proud of mine and I am SO thankful that I thought them all out.

No on the nips though I would love to hear *that* conversation with Mia and Owen =0)

Posted by: Trish at July 14, 2010 8:31 AM

I have 1 tattoo (a stupid one, gotten at 17).....but I secretly LOVE them (no, truly love). If I could (and had balls)...I'd be one of those tattooed rockabilly chicks.....with tight clothes from the 50s, stained red lips and bright colorful tattoos everywhere....

....but there is a mortgage to consider...and bills to pay, etc...

AND, most importantly....I am kinda in a profession that really frowns on that type of thing....but if I ever DID win the lotto...I'd go for it!

interestingly...my husband who just quit our profession and is now a stay-at-home Dad....just got two tattoos....and people's reactions fascinated me....from complete admiration (mostly from like-minded strangers) to horrror....

odd...

Posted by: Natalie at July 14, 2010 8:37 AM

I have 2 tattoos - one on the inside of my right heel which can be hidden in a shoe for business functions (it's a small butterfly that I got on April 1, 2005, and nobody thought it was real, that it was just an April Fool's joke). My second tattoo is on my back and is a cluster of 3 stars. My parents each got 3 stars at the same time (Dad's are on his arm, Mom's are on the inside of her right heel).

Posted by: Emily at July 14, 2010 8:39 AM

I do have one, yes. I got it 10 years ago and I still love it. I'm going to get it updated on its 10th anniversary. It's an ankh. Nothing to put up on Tattoo magazine, but it's artistic all the same. I liked the idea of a symbol about life and peace and I love the symmetry of it.

Worst tattoos are pop-culture ones like Ratt, or Star Wars, or anything with a heart on it. It's all personal opinion and taste, and as they say, there's no accounting for taste.

Posted by: Brad at July 14, 2010 8:51 AM

I have one, a heart of ribbon with some flowers, in blue, my favorite color. It was mostly one of those mid-life crisis type things, tho, I had wanted one for a very long time. I also thought it through as to what I would get (no spouse name/ or something that made me think of him--(we're now divorced!). . . but it represents me fairly well, soft, hearts and flowers.

That said, I got it on my lower back, where I can easily hide it. Only the people I want to know, know about it (and now your readers too!). Funny enough, my 24 y/o son, who has 4 tattoos, almost all in totally visible places, hates that I got mine on my lower back... calls it a "tramp stamp" and is horrified that his mom has one!

He has a voluptuous, topless, female angel on one forearm and a similarly clad female devil on the other forearm, representing some tough decisions he made in his teen years. I can understand the sentiment, but would rather they be someplace more easily hid.

I think its something that should not be gone into without major planning. . .but I'm not against them!

Posted by: 3jaysmom at July 14, 2010 8:55 AM

I want one. I want one really badly. But it has to be just the right thing. And I haven't found that right thing yet. I won't do mediocre. I want fucking fantastic.

Posted by: k8 at July 14, 2010 8:59 AM

Ha!!! I just got my first tattoo (at 35 :) I've been waiting to be inspired by something...didn't want just some random tattoo I picked out of a book..it had to have some meaning if it was going to be with me forever. Sooo, after I had my daughter, I started thinking about it. And then when my husband got another one, I knew I had to do it. So I started coming up with some designs, found an AWESOME tattoo artist, and after 3 sessions it's finally done! I love it! It started off as a small piece that I was going to put on the shoulder part of my upper back, but quickly grew to a full back piece:)

Here's a link to a blog post I wrote with some photos...the tattoo has a bit more to it, but I just finished it last Thursday and haven't had time to post. Plus, it's healing right now and doesn't look so pretty :)

Posted by: Jenn at July 14, 2010 9:07 AM

I have 4 tattoos and have plans for a few more, when the budget permits. My husband and take turns and he is up next. They can be really expensive!

I thought very long and very hard and didn't get my first one until I was 35. I had always thought my first tattoo would be a dolphin as I have loved dolphins since I was a little girl. But I could never find the "perfect" dolphin. So One year at mardi gras my friends and I decided to get tattoo. I got a fleur de lis on my lower calf. Its not real big, its very pretty and I have always loved it. Needs to be touched up now. The second one, one of my BFF's and I designed to represent two of our favorite bands without it looking like we had band tattoos. Can you guess what bands a turtle playing the trombone represent? ;)
That one is pretty big and its on my left hip and it hurt like a MF-er.
The third one I got after Hurricane Katrina. I wanted something to symbolize that New Orleans will come back. Harry Connick had made a statement on the news that "New Orleans, like the Phoenix, will rise from the ashes"...that was it. I scouted out Phoenix tattoos until I found the one I wanted. Its on my lower back.
The fourth one, are two pink hibuscus right below my bikini line. The entire design when finished will be more flowers in purple, pink and orange.

They are all in places that I can hide them if necessary for work. But the only one at my job who has ever complained is my direct boss and she is very very old fashioned and still thinks only bikers get tats.

On my list to get still: the dolphin, a pelican (to represent the disaster in the Gulf), some kind of design with shooting stars and some of he words to "Good Riddance" which is my most favorite song ever.
Shamarr Allen, Dee-1, Paul Sanchez, Bennie Pete of Hot 8 Brass Band Oil Spill Music Video "Sorry Aint Enough No More" check it out pass it along.
Worst tat? Tough one. My cousin got a leprechaun and "Fighting Irish" on his arm. But they spelled Irish wrong!
The guy who did my first tat told me the weirdest tat he ever did was a black leprechaun pushing a shopping cart!

If you do get one, be warned, it is addicting! And the pain really isnt that bad. Some places hurt worse than others. the one on my leg I barely felt him doing.

Posted by: Lisa at July 14, 2010 9:13 AM

I have two: one on my ankle and one on my calf; they're both tribal in a way but not exactly the typical design. I was twenty years old and felt the need to define myself. I do not regret them; they signify a time in my life when I thought I didn't care about a damn thing and wanted to do anything and everything I wanted. To this day, I like that they're still a part of me, to remind me of my former self or, what I was and how I have improved.
Here's a link to mine:http://allstarme.wordpress.com/2009/05/20/branded-permanence/

I agree that they're addicting; the pain is both good and bad.

And by far, the worst tattoo I have seen is a Pinocchio, right down on a guy's crotch so that his uh, yeah you know, is the nose... that grows. LOL.

Posted by: Claire at July 14, 2010 9:28 AM

I have one tattoo. It's a very small Texas Flag on my right ankle. I have no plans to get another one since I'm quickly approaching the big 4-0. My favorite bad tattoos are the ones with misspelled words.

Posted by: Kristy at July 14, 2010 9:32 AM

I had a HORRIBLE tacky tattoo I got when I was 16 because I was impatient and settled...it was a mouse...on my left arm. And I always wanted to cover it...but then HIV and Aids came...and I decided not to...but searched out shops and artists for THIRTY years! I finally found an artist that I brought my design to and he did a fantastic job!

This is a piece of art walking around on me...and covering that craptastic mouse I had for so long. Mine is a work of art now...and I am SO happy with it!

It represents my journey in life and the people I love or have loved...and I stopped caring about how it will look when I am old...

Posted by: Gypsy at July 14, 2010 9:53 AM

I will never get a tattoo after being traumatized by one in a hot tub in 1993. A fifty(ish) year old woman in a small bikini with the longest stemmed rose you ever saw running along the inside of her breast. Gravity can be a cruel bitch.

Posted by: Kate M at July 14, 2010 9:55 AM

Actually, the best tatoos I've ever seen are a girl with a fork on her arm and her boyfriend with a spoon on this. I wonder if they had a kid if it'd end up with a knife?

PS - I've got a hair metal compilation going this summer in my car - the whole genre is under-appreciated as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: Heather at July 14, 2010 9:57 AM

No tattoos. Never really seriously considered one. Worst tattoo I've seen? I worked at a tanning place in college and several of the patrons had tattoos. One kid got a tattoo on his upper arm of the Calvin and Hobbes characters. Hobbes was putting on a condom and Calvin was captioned as saying, "Always wear your jimmy." I have no idea what he was thinking.

Posted by: melissa at July 14, 2010 10:11 AM

I have two tattoos - one on my calf, and one on my ribs.

I plan on getting more - they are addicting. But I'm taking my time, to make sure it's what I really want. My boyfriend and I are going to get matching tattoos. Not with names, not with dates, just a similar picture, that means something to both of us.

As for bad tattoos? I've seen way too many... there's a community on livejournal called badtattoos and it is hillarious to see some of them. I think one of the best/worst, though, was a guy who had terrorists tattood on his head, and he grew his hair out to be beards for the terrorists. He shaved the rest of his head, except for on their faces... Terrible.

Posted by: secha at July 14, 2010 10:39 AM

I have one that I got about 20 years ago. After much deliberation, I decided on a mermaid inside a yin yang symbol, holding an infinity symbol. It's not much bigger than a silver dollar and sits just inside my right hip bone. I dithered a lot, but all of those things hold meaning for me, so there you go. I might get another one someday, when I come up with the right idea.

Freaky tattoo I saw was a bald guy who had eyes tattooed on the back of his head! There has got to be some deep-seated trauma/insecurity to always have eyes in the back of your head...

Posted by: bacioni at July 14, 2010 11:00 AM

I don't have any tattoos but I'm thinking of getting one this summer for my 40th birthday.

I want to get a dragonfly on my shoulder blade with my children's names in each wing with their DOB. I love dragonflies and I have 4 kids so it works out nicely.

We were at a wedding a few years back and there was a kid in his early 20's I'd guess that had tattoos all over his shaved head and all around his neck. He also had tear drops tattooed under his eyes. You could see tattooed sleeves on his arms. I couldn't help but think what all that would look like when he was a saggy, old man. *shudder*

Posted by: Jules at July 14, 2010 11:08 AM

No tatoos here. I love them though... on other people. I'm not sure I could ever settle on something that I'd like to have forever but if I did I'm sure it would be something abstract.

Worst tatoo... had to be our old next door neighbor. He was a guy who walked around with no shirt the minute the temperature got to be above 65 degrees and had floppy beer belly spilling over is belt buckle. He had a number of tattoos that lacked polish but the worst was the tattoo of an eagle on his ribs. I'm sure once it was meant to have been on the side of his abs but since he no longer really had abs it was a mass of squinchy grossness.

Posted by: Jen at July 14, 2010 11:09 AM

I don't have a tattoo, and it is exactly because I've never been able to think of something I know I'll want on my body in 30 years. All I have to do is think about whatever godawful ankh with a rose through it that I would have thought was awesome when I was 18, and the temptation fades.

But I do kind of like abstract/tribal/celtic knotwork tattoos.

Posted by: bad penguin at July 14, 2010 11:39 AM

"Squinchy grossness" - that is such an awesome phrase!

I don't have tattoos. I don't want one. I love the way my body looks; I don't need anything else.

My co-worker (I work in administration for a mid-size private university) has a torso pretty much covered in tattoos and unless she wore a long sleeved turtleneck, she can't hide them. I don't like the look of tattoos; they always seem to look kinda blue-green eventually and the sharp lines seem to bleed and become much less defined. I think they're fine for others if they want them. I'm not a fan, though

Posted by: Brooke at July 14, 2010 11:55 AM

I have a few tattoos, and piercings. I rather enjoy mine, and many others that I've seen. I've got a moon and stars on my lower back, a zipper on my spine, and laced up shoe laces on my forearms. I've got a bunch of metal in my ears and a pierced eyebrow. I think I'm done getting mods, but I've said that before and didn't mean it, so who knows.

For those that are interested, I have almost all of them chronicled on my Facebook, and I think the photos are even public :P

I do agree that there are many, many mediocre, and downright bad tattoos out there.

Posted by: Katie at July 14, 2010 12:01 PM

No tattoos, don't particularly care for them but to each his own.

Posted by: laineyDid at July 14, 2010 12:09 PM

I have a tattoo on my lower back (low enough so it barely shows above my bathing suit) and one on my wrist. I've had the one on my wrist for 2 years and kids at school will still say to me "Mrs. Benson is that a tattoo on your wrist?!" I'm not sure what they think it is! My husband and his artist want me to expand the one on my back but I'm not really interested in doing that. I'm content with what I have.

My husband is pretty addicted to getting tattoos and has many of american indian types that he has taken from books and his artists adapts for him. My son has one that is soon to be expanded on. They both have them on their arms (right now!).

Posted by: NancyJ at July 14, 2010 12:38 PM

Hmm, I've thought about it, and I think if I did anything, it would be a small, discreet trinity knot ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triquetra ). My cousin and my brother (both "adopted" and family by choice haah) each have tattoos - and are working on more. It scares me a little that it's apparently highly addictive!

Posted by: Heather at July 14, 2010 12:55 PM

I have 2 tattoos so far and am planning on a 3rd. I got each one at a pivotal point in my life and each one means something special.

Posted by: rougeneck at July 14, 2010 1:06 PM

No tattoos. Unless I'm forced into a concentration camp, sold into slavery, I will never get one. I am sure you can tell by that statement that I just don't "get" them. Not at all. I don't judge people that are tatted - I just don't want to be one of them. Ever.

Worst tattoo I have ever seen is a full sleeve my friend's husband has. It was supposed to be her face. It was horrific. Two other artists worked at fixing it - and the end result is - um - not great. People always ask who it is - and he says it's supposed to be his wife, and everyone always falls silent. Yeah - enjoy that one - for the rest of your life.

Posted by: Mindy at July 14, 2010 2:00 PM

I personally love tattoos. However, I think if you love ink then you should save up your cash and get nice ink. I have a "tramp" stamp...mostly because while they are trampy...it can be hidden whilst I romp in corporate america utilizing my leadership lingo daily, without appearing to be a fraud.

My nephew has so many bad tattoos that when he's shirtless he appears to be a bad coloring book page out of a 4 year old's coloring book. OH wait I take that back, Mia's coloring book pages likely look better than his body. Everything's just slapped on in weird ways and places with no rhyme or reason. He looks as if a toddler put stickers on him randomly or some such thing. Those types of tattooed people make me angry for abusing such a nice art form.

I am currently considering another tattoo on my upper thigh. Again where it can be hidden when I so wish. I suppose I'm a freak inside but I like to be able to wave my freak flag in appropriate times and places, not everywhere. lol

Posted by: Kristy at July 14, 2010 4:11 PM

I have 2 tattoos, and several more in the planning. I've considered some piercings too...

Posted by: Kris at July 14, 2010 4:18 PM

I considered it and discarded the thought for the same reason, they just don't age well. But if I'd done it it would have been a small silver fern (national emblem of New Zealand) on my shoulder.

Posted by: Deeleea at July 14, 2010 5:40 PM

I have a fleur de lis on my ankle that I got after this year's Superbowl...and some 35 years as a die-hard Saints fan. I love my ink so, so much.

Posted by: Kalisa at July 14, 2010 5:53 PM

One time I was in a tattoo place and a friend of mine was getting one. I was looking at all the various options when I see one that is totally the grossest thing I've ever seen. It was sort of XXX and then some gross. So I nudge my husband and sort of quietly say "who would ever get that?" The guy standing behind the counter heard me and pulls up his shirt sleeve and on his bicep is the very same scene.

Posted by: mutt at July 14, 2010 7:49 PM

i don't have any tattoos. probably won't get any. any place that won't get fat can't easily be concealed and any place that can easily be concealed will most likely get fat. i'm not a fan of tatts on fat.

my husband has his fraternity symbol on one arm. ha, I KNOW. and he has a cool koi fish tattoo on his other tricep. he wants more. i've told him that as soon as he is a rock star, he can get all the tattoos he wants. in the meantime...

i think my only exception would be your kids' names. like elegantly in cursive over your heart or something. tasteful, you know you'll never regret the sentiment, etc.

Posted by: kati at July 14, 2010 8:17 PM

Here is the thing about how I feel about tattoos. They aren't for anyone but the person getting them. If you choose your tattoo because it has meaning for you, then it doesn't matter that Chris at the pool doesn't like it.

I have two, my most significant was a butterfly, now of course some guy I was dating at the time said "Oh typical you got a butterfly" and I promptly told him to go F himself. I didn't get it simply because I thought butterflies were pretty and I was a girl, I got my first tattoo after a really difficult divorce, and I felt it truly did relate to how I transformed after my divorce into what I consider a truly happy and beautiful person.

If it means something to you, that's what really matters in the end.

Posted by: Deirdre at July 14, 2010 8:20 PM

Wow, my husband's ex wife goes to your pool?

(Kidding.
She's not pregnant.)

I don't have any tattoos - for the same reason you don't - I couldn't think of what to get, where to get it. Honestly there are few things that mean so much to me that I'd mark my body with it forever (my children are the only thing I can think of and even then, I cannot think how i'd adequately represent them anyway).

I dunno, I kinda like being a non-tattoo'd novelty.

Posted by: Sarah at July 14, 2010 9:09 PM

I have six tattoos, most of which I am perfectly happy with. One was a mistake, but its not the end of the world. I admit I shouldn't have done it, but I did and now I'm stuck with it, until I decide to lase it off (which takes time and is way more painful I hear) or some up with a good cover-up for it and just hide it with something much better. One is almost perfect, except the guy I had do some final details on it was not as good as his portfolio led me to believe... and it shows. :( Sad about that because I see that one every time I look in the mirror (its across my chest) and can see his mistakes in what is otherwise a fantastic design (I drew it myself). The other four- happy with, and one gets me a ton of positive attention when ever its on display.

I was eating out with my bf one night and we saw this huge, big, burly, SCAREY Mexican dude wearing a t-shirt. On his forearm was a huge, black ink, Dora the Explorer tattoo. This guy looked like he raped babies for a living and he had a Dora tattoo. Was so weird.

Posted by: Debra at July 14, 2010 10:47 PM

I have a tattoo on my left back shoulder. It's a chalice with green flames. I don't regret it at all. It didn't even hurt.

Worst tattoo, my husband's "friend" got an SS tattoo on his hand. Because he likes to "get a rise out of people." Idiot.

Posted by: jodi at July 15, 2010 12:11 AM

I don't have any tattoos, but there is one tattoo I'm completely in love with, and it was inked 2,400 years ago in Siberia. The original is on the shoulder blade of the The Pazyryk Ice Maiden of Russia, although apparently since her grave's discovery lots of people have been getting copies.

Instead of a tattoo, I keep seeing it as an embroidered wall hanging or something. Either way, though, it's an amazing graphic. Here's a pic (last image on the page):

Posted by: Kat at July 15, 2010 12:13 AM

I personally don't care for the "over use of ink" on any body, but.....I love a little piece of "tasteful" ink. I would love to get a small tattoo (not visible to the public) above a nasty scar that I have, after having a lump removed...not where you're thinking....the simple word "ouch"...or "tlf"...not standing for "true love forever", but rather mine and my hubs' name "forever". But Alas...."he" won't have any part of it...I guess I had to be satisfied with having the navel pierced when I was in "better shape".

Posted by: Lujza at July 15, 2010 12:29 AM

I don't have any tattoos but I have always contemplated getting one. My biggest problem is I can't decide where to put it! (Plus I HATE needles!) My boyfriend Michael has a few and loves them. Either way.... There was a pretty heated blog on our local paper's website here that you might enjoy reading the comments on. Michael is on there as commenter TCRPMG. This woman got pretty torn apart by over 200 commenters!!

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at July 15, 2010 3:21 AM

Have long liked the idea of a tattoo that makes some important part of your inner life visible. It's taken me a long time to come to something that works for me, but I think I'll be getting a purple lotus flower this year for my 40th. Just have to decide where...
Also, re kids names - I already have the "tattoo" marks that my three kids left on my body - that pouchy roll of belly fat that never goes away, plus the stretch marks on my breasts - thanks kids! :)

Posted by: Jo MacD at July 15, 2010 5:22 AM

Two: One says live to remind me that no matter how dark life gets, it's worth live. The other says "Arwen" in Elvish and glows in black light. I'm not going to lie to you - it's pretty cool :)

Posted by: Arwen at July 15, 2010 10:25 AM

Couldn't you have taken some photos all stealth like for us? I LOVE checking out tattoos on people. Some are amazing and some are just frickin' hysterical. I have 4, all are pretty and all black. One on my inner ankle, my outer ankle, my lower back (aka: tramp stamp) and the back of my neck. All but one have a special meaning and I have yet to regret them. I don't even regret the severely screwed up one that was spur of the moment because an entire group of my girlfriends got the exact same one. I actually find it hysterical, though, long story short, it was INCREDIBLY stupid and potentially unsafe! I don't know about the worst I've ever seen, but there's a site out there somewhere that showcases screwed up tats, one day I might see mine on there...

Posted by: js at July 15, 2010 10:51 AM

i have a tattoo of "skellie" (social distortion's logo/mascot) on my foot. i had it done 4 years ago when i was 33. i wanted that tattoo since i was 14, but waited to make sure i *really* wanted it. i love it so much.

i also have the worst tattoo. a homemade letter B on my arm. my nickname was bambi in my teen years. i passed out drunk and someone started inking my arm with a pin dipped in pen ink. i woke up before they could continue. great story for the kids ;)

Posted by: meanie at July 15, 2010 11:29 AM

Yes I have one tattoo. It is fancy script lettering with my intial and my husband's intial since he went to Iraq and we wanted to stay connected. His is obviously more manly. We have been married for 14 years. He just returned home safely and I don't regret it. It is small and elegant and I am going to get one more. A small orchid. The worst one I think are the ones people have across their forehead like "Bombshell McGee".

Jewels

Posted by: Julie Andel at July 15, 2010 11:58 AM

I don't have any tattoos, though about 8 years ago, I won a radio contest to be tattooed live on the air. On the day it was to happen, I went down to the station where they told me that they'd been trying to contact the tattoo guy all day, but he never showed. Turned out he'd skipped town in the middle of the night to avoid paying rent he was behind on. Now I'm glad I didn't get one because I was going to get some lame lower back tattoo that I'm sure I would regret today.

Oh, and I once saw a woman in her 70s who had a tattoo of Mickey Mouse on her calf. Time had not been kind to Mickey and I think of that every time I contemplate getting one.

Posted by: Leah at July 15, 2010 12:51 PM

I have two - one on my wrist that is lyrics of a song by my favorite band...it was a mistake and I'm thinking about having it removed.

My other one is a star on my right hip. It's not a mistake. I wanted it for a long time and I'm very happy with it. I'm considering more, but I'm not sure what they would be yet.

Posted by: Stephanie at July 15, 2010 6:20 PM

I think having a good (or great) tattoo comes down to the design and the artist as well. I don't have a tattoo, but I have wanted one for a long time. I also know that I want it on my lower back, but it has to be the right design - and I haven't found it yet. Preferably a dragon of some kind. But I can't say that I've found a tattoo artist locally that does really good work. My friend in the UK is friends with a tattoo artist who creates absolute masterpieces - no other way to descibe it! I've seen photos of a lot of his work, and no matter what the design, it is always a work of art.

Posted by: Delia at July 16, 2010 4:29 AM

Never have, never will. Call me old fashioned, but I just can't do it!

Posted by: Maribeth at July 16, 2010 7:14 AM

I have a three smallish tattoos. My husband, however, is covered. I was very particular about what I got tattoed on my body since it would be there forever. Two of my tattoos are designs that have personal (and not obvious) meaning to me and are done in just black lines. My other tattoo is a red dager on the inside of my right arm near my armpit. I got that one because I am tough. (I am only 5 feet tall but very fiesty!) My husbands tattoos range from very artistic to silly. He even has 'Martha' tattoed on him in a pretty script. He never dated a Martha, just thought it would be a fun name to have on him. I don not understand his relaxed nature when it comes to tattoos, but, hey! it's his body!

Posted by: Ashley K at July 16, 2010 4:20 PM

I want one so bad, I plan to go soon for my 30th b-day. I want the infinity sign on my ring finger no one will no its there (my wedding rings will cover it) but it will be another symbol of my commitment to my marriage.

But whenever someone speaks of a tatoo I always think of a description from a book I read, the female had a turkey on one thigh and a x-mas tree on the other, when someone asked her the meaning, she replied because you always do your best eating between thanksgiving and x-mas! LMAO, I'll never forget that!!!!

Posted by: tailynn at August 4, 2010 7:46 PM

Quelqu'un peut-il me dire comment obtenir les avatars peu à montrer dans ma section des commentaires? merci!8765

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 3:40 AM