July 12, 2010

Time To Make The Donuts

Since acquiring my iPhone (and no, this isn't another pro-Apple Steve Jobs love-fest post), I've used it to wake me up every morning. Of course, the same can be said of Owen. Unfortunately, Owen has no snooze button.

It's a toss-up as to which is going to succeed in waking me up.

Since each day demands different things, I've set up a few different alarms all of which I find annoying whenever they happen to go off. My first instinct when I hear my iPhone's jaunty little marimba-laden tune is to throw it across the room but then I remember that the phone was kind of expensive and I love it except when it's trying to wake my ass up. But by then, after I've noodled that through, I'm awake. (Or, more accurately, I've hit snooze a couple times and Beth punches me in the kidneys and says something like get the fuck out of bed - she's not a morning person - which guarantees I get the hell out of bed.)

alarming.jpg

After all this goes down, I stumble. I stumble around the room to find clothes, stumble around the bathroom getting myself clean and ready and then stumble down the stairs to get my stuff before stumbling out to my car to drive into work. Anyone watching would think I was hitting the bottle bright and early. But no. I'm just a parent. That's how I roll.

When do you typically get up in the morning? And what wakes you up?

Posted by Chris at July 12, 2010 6:45 AM
Comments

Oh Lordy, I'm up early because my husband usually has an early call on set. This morning, for example, the alarm went off at 3:45. Has been as early as 2:00 a.m. Only good thing...I'm to work early, lots of stuff gets done in the office before 8:00, my start time back in the good ol' days.

Posted by: Dawn at July 12, 2010 7:20 AM

My alarm (music) goes off at 4:45am. But it's actually 4:40am because it's 5 minutes fast. I set it everyday except Sunday. I don't always get up to it on Saturday but sometimes I do just to make the day longer (I know, crazy!).

Posted by: NancyJ at July 12, 2010 7:44 AM

After so many years of getting up at 5:00 am, I automatically wake up now, no alarm necessary. it really sucks on weekends when I can sleep in but am awake anyway!

Posted by: Lisa at July 12, 2010 7:54 AM

Typically a week day will start anywhere between 5:50 and 6:15 depending on what still needs to get done in the morning and if there are any early meetings planned. Weekends I try not to set an alarm unless we have to be somewhere. Sometimes I can get up straight away when my alarm goes off, other times I use the snooze button (bad habit picked up from hubby).

I am the morning person so it is my responsibility to get up and do the necessary (feed the cat, make breakfast, gather the various things we need for work etc) and most importantly repeatedly wake my husband up until he is either fully awake or I have to drag him out of bed (whichever comes first) so that we get to work on time.

Hubby, on the other hand, is a night owl of note and has been known to sleep right through alarms. He also at a stage had this habit of setting an alarm and then repeatedly hitting snooze. He can fall back to sleep in 30 seconds. I take about 5 minutes - the (in)convenient spacing of the snooze alarm! I eventually told him I was going to throw his (expensive) phone out the window if he didn't stop doing that. So he did. And I became the one who gets up first ;-) And that is how we maintain peace in the house at the start of the day.

Posted by: Delia at July 12, 2010 8:04 AM

4:00 AM. My Droid is set to the US Army's "Reveille". Its still freaking dark on JUNE 21 when I get up.

Posted by: Justin at July 12, 2010 8:41 AM

I rarely hear the alarm. I usually wake up on my own 1 minute or so prior to it going off. Of course, it's set for 7 AM, so I got that going for me. And I'm in the office by 8 AM.

Posted by: COD at July 12, 2010 8:43 AM

I have no kids, and I live 4 blocks from my job. So my alarm goes off at 6:42 and then every seven minutes after until I get up. Or a cat pounces on my head and screeches.

Posted by: k8 at July 12, 2010 8:49 AM

My internal alarm clock gets me up sometime between 5:30 and 6:30 every day, including weekends. I have to make a special effort to sleep in.

Posted by: Average Jane at July 12, 2010 9:11 AM

My cell looks a bit like yours... 5:30 M-F, 6 M-F, 6:30 Daily. I turn the 630 one off on the weekends but sometimes I need it to take the boyfriend to work. I tend to hit snooze on the 530 and 6, and then stumble around until I leave... somehow I can manage to get myself ready and out the door in 15 minutes most days... I amaze myself. I do try to get up at 530. It's just way too early for me.

Posted by: Secha at July 12, 2010 9:18 AM

I typically get up at 6 AM. And usually it's because a dachshund has shoved their nose under the covers to cover my face with kisses! Perhaps it is why I love winter. It stays darker longer and I can actually sleep in!

Posted by: Maribeth at July 12, 2010 9:27 AM

5:30 typically is the beginning of my day but that's because I need to have the baby fed, changed and his stuff ready to drop him off at daycare at 6:30. Lately I've been waking his ass up, which is odd considering how many times on a Saturday he seems to want to get up at 5:30 on his own. I also like to hit the gym near my office before work, so that makes the early waking/drop off time necessary. Sometimes on the weekend we get lucky and the baby and the dog let us sleep past 6.

Posted by: Beth at July 12, 2010 10:34 AM

Stay at home Mom. During summer, if we have no early plans for the day--I'm up by usually 8. During the school year, I'm up just before 7. Changes this year as my boy enters high school and starts much earlier. Guessing, 5:30 or 6:00 am is going to be my wake-up call.

I use my Ipod also as an alarm.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at July 12, 2010 10:57 AM

My iPod Touch wakes me up. I use the Bell Tower chime. It goes off at 6, but I usually hit snooze a couple times. My husband is in charge of the baby (and by baby, I mean Owen-aged preschooler), so he usually gets to sleep until 7 or so. This is why I don't feel bad about sleeping until 8 or 9 on the weekends. If you do the math, Husband gets more sleep than I do.

Posted by: Brooke at July 12, 2010 12:02 PM

I am the ultimate in "not a morning person." I set two alarms--one that goes off at 6:30 and one that goes off at 6:50. I have to use the loud, awful siren alarms. It's the only thing that actually wakes me up. Then I have another alarm that clicks on with NPR. My thinking is that if my mind can somehow become engaged with NPR, then maybe, I'll actually wake up. It doesn't usually work that way, though.

I typically drag myself out of bed at 7:20, at which point I race through a shower and dressing myself, and hopefully walk out the door by 7:45 in order to get to work at 8:00. And as I am rushing out the door, every morning, I think to myself, "There has got to be a better way."

Posted by: Melody at July 12, 2010 12:29 PM

I have a CD player alarm clock which plays my favorite tracks from the World of Warcraft (Wrath of the Lich King) soundtrack. Because I am a big ol' geek.

The alarm goes off at 7:30. The joys of living less than three miles from work.

Posted by: Rai at July 12, 2010 12:30 PM

I have PTSD from when we battled the flood waters of 2010 in March, and my husband used his iPhone alarm to wake us up to go check on the basement. He needs a new alarm tone.

Posted by: MidLifeMama at July 12, 2010 12:35 PM

Im a teacher for godsakes..IT IS SUMMER! Though I have a 2 year old...he hasnt been waking up until 10am! LOVELY...arent you jealous?
Hugs,
Cheryl
*Have a great Monday! Pray my new Burrough books come in mail today!*

Posted by: Cheryl at July 12, 2010 1:03 PM

Whenever it gets light out - right now about 5:15 am. The dogs insist on being fed and with sixteen paws jumping up and down on the bed and you, it's kind of hard to ignore. I have, however, mastered the art of filling the bowls while still asleep and then promptly going back to bed!

Posted by: Heather at July 12, 2010 1:14 PM

My iPhone, set to Bell Tower, is set to ring at 6:30. Most mornings, I am awake before it goes off.

You've obviously seen Wall-E. My boys laugh and point when Wall-E wakes up, slamming into walls, trying to get his shoes on to go outside and charge up. Apparently, that's me.

Posted by: Mindy at July 12, 2010 1:20 PM

My alarm goes off every weekeday morning at 5:40 and I'll usually roll out around 5:55. Strangely, the mornings when I ride my bike to work are so much easier than taking the bus. I'm guessing this is because everything is packed up the night before and I don't need to wake up completely before heading out.

I like your alarm settings, especially the one for 5 a.m.

Posted by: Foggy Dew at July 12, 2010 1:51 PM

9 1/2 months out of the year Jen is up at 5:00am and I'm up at 6:00am with the kids. A couple of times a week that's 5:30am so I can run.

The 2 1/2 months during the summer that the kids and Jen (teacher) is home, I get an extra 45 minutes of sleep. I can feel it too, and I love it.

Posted by: Brad at July 12, 2010 2:02 PM

Well lately my sleep schedule is off again. I've been falling asleep between 4-5AM and getting up around noonish.... Not good, I know.

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at July 12, 2010 2:13 PM

The husband and I each use our cell phones. His goes off at 5am so he can take his pre-breakfast heartburn med and then my goes off at 5:30 which means its time to get up. The actual alarm is set for 5:35 in case I decide to ignore my phone which happens very infrequently. I'm prettty good about getting up at 5:30 but that is because I know I can go let the dogs out and then sleep for 30-45 minutes on the couch until the husband hits the shower for work. I then make his lunch, eat breakfast and catch up on the DVR before he heads off to the office.

Posted by: Jody at July 12, 2010 2:30 PM

6:30AM on most work days, but 5:30 on Fridays! Ugh. The alarm wakes me but it has to be the radio as I will sleep right on through the beeping! Snooze gets hit once every month or two.

Posted by: Karne at July 12, 2010 3:05 PM

Most morning I am up by 7 am with the help of the iPhone alarm clock. I am always nervous about oversleeping so I set one at 7 and one at 7:05 just to be safe!

Posted by: Torrey at July 12, 2010 3:48 PM

I'm supposed to be out of bed at 6am. If I make it out by 6:30, that's a good day.

I have a Clocky (you know, those alarm clocks that sound like R2D2 with a megaphone and run around on little wheels), plus my N900 cell phone on my night-stand. They're set to go off 5 minutes apart, alternating, until I obtain enough consciousness to turn them both off. The N900's alarm tone is currently the post-punk instrumental classic "The 7,000 Names of Wah!" by The Mighty Wah!. But I'm probably going to change it to something else soon. Maybe Flogging Molly.

Posted by: Kat at July 12, 2010 11:00 PM

ha ha. I need to label my iPhone alarms now.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at July 14, 2010 12:26 AM

My four year old wakes me up EVERY DAY. If I'm lucky, she waits til after 6.

Posted by: Sarah at July 14, 2010 9:13 PM

I'm woken up at about 5.30 by my wife telling me that my 3 month-old son is awake and needs a feed. I cling on to the last shred of hope that I'll feed him, put him back down, he'll go to sleep straight away and I can go back to bed.

More often than not, my 3 month-old waking makes my 3 year-old wake up, and he wants to watch Finding Nemo, or something. A single tear trickles down my cheek as I see my little dream vanish in a puff of smoke...

Posted by: Ben at July 25, 2010 1:03 PM

Make your life time more simple get the personal loans and all you need.

Posted by: RIDDLEElisabeth at August 11, 2011 4:07 AM