August 20, 2010

The Weeklies #146

The Weekly Mental Condition. Worn out.

The Weekly Time Waster. Rotate and Roll sounds like an insult but it's really just a great time waster.

The Weekly Read. Mitch Myers' The Boy Who Cried Freebird was an odd yet cool book about music. It was a strange mix of music-focused fiction and non-fiction that made for a really great read. If you like music - particularly about lesser-known moments in music history - this is a must.

The Weekly Music. As I mentioned on Facebook yesterday, I grabbed Iron Maiden's latest album - The Final Frontier - earlier this week. So yeah...there it is...I'm an Iron Maiden fan. I've loved Maiden since the late 80's when a friend and I would rent and watch all the old Maiden concert videos and laugh at the liberal use of spandex and twin guitar solos. But the thing we could never laugh at was the band's raw talent. Point and laugh all you want. Maiden is a group of damn fine musicians who have somehow maintained their longevity of the course of four decades. Their latest doesn't show any signs that the band is in any way getting long in the tooth. Instead, its a flashback to some of their great 80's albums showcasing what they're all about. Up the irons, people.

The Weekly TV Disappointment. Design Star (shut up) sucks this year. Last year was so good - there was a host which negated the need for Vern Yip to try and sound intimidating and the contestants had actual challenges involving real homes of real people with real design problems instead of integrating a crap piece of fashion or a flower into some prefab Trump apartment. Yeah, I'm still watching but compared with last year, it's crap.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. A cricket star in England got pulled over for drunk driving. The reason he was out? He had to run to a hardware store after he discovered his cat was trapped under the floorboards of his house. Sure, he'd been drinking and later admitted that he shouldn't have been driving. But we all know that men will do just about anything for pussy.

The Weekly Question. What little piece of the internet to you check out most often?

Posted by Chris at August 20, 2010 7:05 AM
Comments

thechive.com

Posted by: Jubby at August 20, 2010 7:38 AM

Completely agree about Design Star. I don't feel like we've seen anyone with any standout appeal. So who do you like on Project Runway so far?

Posted by: Meredith at August 20, 2010 8:10 AM

I'm really not digging the new Maiden. It's not bad, but they went a little too prog rock for my tastes.

Posted by: COD at August 20, 2010 9:11 AM

Facebook seems to be where I spend most of my internet time. But I check your blog & few others daily and Twitter a few times through out the day.

Posted by: Kris at August 20, 2010 9:55 AM

Why, I check YOUR blog! :)
I'm actually kind of a facebook addict - I'm trying to quit... really. Otherwise, it's you, my daily dose of "Sherman's Lagoon" comic strips, and one or two other blogs.

Posted by: Kim at August 20, 2010 10:13 AM

Actually, I'm probably on Twitter most of the time. Or Tumblr. I like small bits and pieces of internet regularly. Yours is one of the few blogs I visit on a regular basis.

Posted by: sarah at August 20, 2010 10:19 AM

favstar.fm

It's an offshoot of twitter, turned into a twisted little sub-culture of twitter (if you can believe that).

Stars (you can star a favoured tweet within twitter or on favstar) are currency.

Check the leaderboard ("Popular" "Rising" and "New"). People with tortured souls are funny. Really funny. And clever.

I'm by no means in the inner circle, but I'm probably what many [cough]family[cough] consider addicted. favstar.fm/users/harmzie

Posted by: harmzie at August 20, 2010 10:32 AM

Yours is one of the first emails I open each morning. Then the far too many progressive/liberal blogs I subscribe to along with the NYT and WaPo. Then Facebook to keep up with distant family. I have Tweeter but don't use it much.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at August 20, 2010 11:02 AM

I guess it's a toss up between Google Reader and Facebook.

Posted by: Maribeth at August 20, 2010 11:04 AM

Gotta agree with you on the Iron Maiden comment....my husband and I both thought/think they're an awesome band and now....out boys do too...if you're good....you're good.

Posted by: Lujza at August 20, 2010 11:54 AM

Daily reads, in this order:
dooce.com
sothefishsaid.com
thepioneerwoman.com
amalah.com
misszoot.com
facebook.com

Funniest statement I've read in a long time: "But we all know that men will do just about anything for pussy."

Posted by: zanie at August 20, 2010 12:15 PM

Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, and then blogs (including yours!!).

Posted by: Julie Andel at August 20, 2010 12:34 PM

I'm a facebook junkie! I also love reading my bloglines and checking out new pics on flickr.

Posted by: Magnolia Mom at August 20, 2010 4:30 PM

The title of "The Boy Who Cried Freebird" totally cracks me up. I'll probably neer read it, but the title amuses me, so that's good. I mostly check Facebook, Google Reader, and flickr.

Posted by: Heather at August 20, 2010 4:42 PM

Ha! I think my husband is THE BIGGEST IRON MAIDEN FAN, so it's hilarious that you're posting it. I swear, sometimes I'm not sure how we ended up together...he's a heavy-metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead) loving Swede and I'm a chick rock lovin' American.

Let's see...fav webs...OK, I'll admit it...I check out PerezHilton.com, and google reader, and facebook, and postsecret (but that's only once a week).

Hey, how do I get a Facebook invite? You crack me up!

Posted by: Jenn at August 20, 2010 9:43 PM

LOVE Maiden. :o)

I hit Facebook like mad. It is out of control, really. Also, wired science, sciencenow and 12stone, a design forum I belong to. And blogs..mainly this one and a few others. :)

Posted by: Jen at August 20, 2010 10:33 PM

You! And this Fish girl, whose not been around lately, some obscure author and his daughter. 'Bout it.

Posted by: debb at August 21, 2010 12:59 AM

I spend forever sifting through my emails, and spend some time in my Google Reader....

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at August 22, 2010 3:06 AM

I completely missed the released of Maiden's new cd. When was this? I gotta get me a copy. They are among the very best in the world.

Posted by: Roshan at August 22, 2010 12:06 PM

I love Design Star, but haven't watched it since the second season since I cut out cable. Probably one of the few shows I miss.

Posted by: Heather at August 24, 2010 4:02 PM