August 25, 2010

Delayed Reaction

Dear Internet,

For some reason - four days into our vacation - it only now occurred to me that vacationing with kids is actually no vacation at all. Instead, it's a hell of a lot of work. Rewarding...but exhausting.

That is all.

Sincerely,
Captain Obvious

Posted by Chris at August 25, 2010 4:11 PM
Comments

Jeff and I were just talking about this. I think we're going to try a cruise for our next vacation, they have babysitting every day until 10 PM. Maybe it will actually seem like a vacation??

Posted by: Stephanie at August 25, 2010 5:19 PM

Making memories that last forever takes effort my friend :)

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at August 25, 2010 5:28 PM

That's one of those lessons every parent has to learn the hard way. Totally worth it though!!

Posted by: Lisa D at August 25, 2010 5:42 PM

~~~~smile~~~~

Posted by: Maribeth at August 25, 2010 7:02 PM

i totally told my husband the other day that i want a vacation by myself without them because a vacation with them wouldn't really be a vacation for me. in fact, since you usually go some unbaby-proofed place and screw up your kids normal routine, it's usually MORE work. i'm right there with you...

Posted by: kati at August 25, 2010 7:41 PM

Hey, Chris, lots of vacation places have lists of reliable babysitters, even if you & Beth just want a coupla hours off in the middle of the afternoon.

Posted by: jw at August 25, 2010 9:36 PM

Word.

Posted by: Brooke at August 26, 2010 11:27 AM

I have always considered vacationing with the kids the same as everyday, except now I am doing everything in a much more confined space and with mini-sized appliances. We generally get a hotel or place with a mini kitchen, which means meals to prepare and dishes to wash, there always seems to be something that needs to be washed in the guest laundry room, constantly picking up the toys/stuff from the much smaller little living area, and so on.

Posted by: Jen at August 26, 2010 2:28 PM

Shocking news indeed! I'll wish you a speedy recovery from your vacation haha!

Posted by: Heather at August 26, 2010 3:14 PM

You should do a Disney Cruise next time. My husband and I are able to enjoy ourselves while the kids have a blast in the kids clubs. We also go to the shows and family activities together. It truly is a perfect vacation. (I don't work for Disney or anything, I just love sailing with them). I hope you are enjoying your vacation!

Posted by: Tess at August 27, 2010 11:47 AM

uh... how long have you been a parent?

the corollary to this is that a trip home to the parents is never a vacation, even if they live in a place considered a "vacation spot."

Posted by: pvz at August 27, 2010 3:09 PM