August 17, 2010

Superstition

I'm not overly superstitious. But I might start becoming more superstitious if every Friday the 13th plays out like this last one did. It will live in infamy as The Day Stuff Broke.

The day started off all wrong. When the alarm on my iPhone went off, I turned over to pick it up, check the time and tell the alarm to rot in hell when I was met with Apple's White Screen Of Death. Any Apple technical manual will tell you this means one thing - you're fucked. Neat. The problem persisted randomly throughout the day. My phone slowly turned into a maddeningly expensive and rather good looking brick. And though I'm slightly phone-phobic, I use my iPhone for more than phoning. I use it for everything. Hi Steve Jobs. Sure, I'll be your bitch. Please allow me to drop my pants and bend over for you. Of course, I couldn't do anything about it immediately so that threw me off and I was pissy about it all day.

Then my work computer - how do I put this delicately? - shit the bed. It's not an Apple so now I had Bill Gates putting the moves on me. My home laptop, predictably, also began to follow suit though I was able to get my work email on it and thus not feel completely cut off from society though the O key failed to function more than 50% of the time and since, oddly, I found myself using the word counts in email throughout the day, I managed to send some pretty awkward messages to coworkers.

By 4:00, I'd managed to get everything done that I needed to accomplish, technical barriers be damned. So I headed to the Apple store to let them take a look at my phone. Along the way I had to stop for gas; the gas pump broke as soon as I swiped my credit card. I took a speedbump at a whopping two miles and hour and my car stereo died. I should have seen these things coming.

I arrived at the Apple store and they promptly replaced the screen (Steve with the reach-around) then I arrived home to find my computers acting normally.

All's well that ends well but for a while I felt like Alexander having a terrible horrible no good very bad day. I'd have moved to Australia but I'd probably have broken it. (You can thank me later, Aussies.)

Posted by Chris at August 17, 2010 7:00 AM
Comments

I have had days like that more often than I would like to admit. In fact lately I've been convinced that I am just one bad karma moment away from total disaster.

Posted by: Maribeth at August 17, 2010 8:47 AM

Yup, when it rains, it pours! Our air conditioning, diswasher and dryer have all decided to sign a mutual suicide pact. I've talked them back from the brink a few times, but I think I'm about to lose this battle, big time.

I'm glad everything worked out though!

Posted by: Elizabeth at August 17, 2010 9:13 AM

Usually for us it's cars that all act up - or break down - at the same time. When we have a repair bill under $1,000 these days we cheer.

Posted by: NancyJ at August 17, 2010 9:15 AM

Not sufficient to wait till later, I'm thanking you know... I have a decent Macbook laptop and don't want it to break!

Posted by: Deeleea at August 17, 2010 9:21 AM

That is a terrible horrible no good very bad day! You have a VW, right? The stereo in my Jetta used to do that when I hit bumps. I'd have to go to the dealer to get it reset. They didn't even charge me for it.

Posted by: bad penguin at August 17, 2010 10:07 AM

"i'd have moved to australia but i'd probably have broken it." classic. sorry about the tech issues; there's nothing worse than that.

Posted by: magnolia at August 17, 2010 12:38 PM

Wow. I don't think I've ever had a day like that.

I love that book. I bought it for my kids.

Last night, at our friend's show, Vain was playing on the PA before they went on and my friend told me she'd shared that CD with you. I need to borrow it from her!

Posted by: Brooke at August 17, 2010 1:00 PM

Apparently, this is happening to everyone in some way or another. Astrologists will tell you it's some planetary thing (http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/still-waiting-to-exhale/Content?oid=1987025), but I can tell you I'm seeing it all around me and having plenty of mine own. Hrmph.

Posted by: Pirate at August 17, 2010 1:04 PM

Like others here, mine was the car. A convergence of basic routine stuff that we could have handled individually lead to the 'repurposing' of our planned road-trip-vacation.

Posted by: harmzie at August 17, 2010 1:48 PM

(then we got lice)

Posted by: harmzie at August 17, 2010 1:49 PM

I think you articulated the difference between Gates and Jobs very well heh.
I haven't thought about that Alexander book in ages, though I have used the "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day" phrase several times! Today though, is a pretty good day so far. My shoulder's not AS sore, and I don't have anything specific I need to do, and since the rest of my week is looking pretty packed, I might just do nothing at all.

Posted by: Heather at August 17, 2010 2:07 PM

Well that was just a shitty day!!! I'm a very superstitious person, comes from living in a small fishing village, you wouldn't believe some of the superstitions around here. I hate Fri. 13 most of all, just sit there and wait for something bad to happen. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. A friend of ours would laugh at me and my foolishness, until one Fri. 13th when he fell off a ladder and broke both of his arms.....He laughs no more!!!!!

Posted by: Roberta at August 17, 2010 6:35 PM

Your iPhone is secretly controlling all the electronics in your life.

Posted by: jessica at August 18, 2010 11:55 AM

I'm not the least bit superstitious but after reading this post, I think I'm beginning to get affected.

Posted by: Roshan at August 23, 2010 2:21 AM