August 30, 2010

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

Sweet baby Jesus. The worst, mod difficult morning of the year is the Monday after you get back from vacation. Provided you haven't done what any sane individual would do, namely take the day off to recover or, better yet, not come back from the beach at all and, instead, become a busker on the boardwalk or craft interesting things with shells and sell them for lots of money. I did neither of those things. I ventured back into reality. Silly me.

But how did we spend the last week?

There were plenty of performances...
DSC_7205_copy_sm.jpg

...and plenty of rides at Funland.
P1060289_copy_sm.jpg

There was a lot of attitude...
P1060298copy_sm.jpg

...and of course, plenty of time spent alongside the ocean.
P1060323_copy.jpg

This is our third year in a row taking this vacation, a vacation that involves every single member of our immediate family, one house, and an astonishing amount of patience. It is, without doubt, completely and utterly exhausting. By the end the kids are out of control in dire need of their schedules and the parents are barely hanging on to sanity and are seriously seeing the wisdom in binge drinking. But, as with previous years, the trip was wonderful and I sincerely miss the beach and want nothing more to return (though I'm not sure Owen is welcome in any restaurant on the eastern seaboard ever again).

We are lucky for lots of reasons, chief among them the fact that we have such a wonderful, close family who loves to spend time together and can create such wonderful memories year after year.

I'm already looking forward to next year's trip. Far more than the all-day meeting I have to sit through today.

So, how are you? It's been a while.

Posted by Chris at August 30, 2010 6:51 AM
Comments

Good, good, good. Been cooking copious amounts of spaghetti sauce (now in the freezer) along with 2 dozen zucchini breads (also in freezer) and getting ready for at least two batches of plum jam. I also have Mac apples coming in so will make apple sauce and freeze that as well.
At least we won't starve this winter.
Welcome back and glad you guys had such a good time!

Posted by: Maribeth at August 30, 2010 7:46 AM

Welcome back! How am I? Oh, I'm a little ... Monday this morning.

Posted by: Fraulein N at August 30, 2010 8:46 AM

Glad you had a good vacation, but also glad that you are back! It was quiet around here without you.

Posted by: Elizabeth at August 30, 2010 8:49 AM

Good, thanks. I'm glad you had such a great week. That looks like a nice beach.

Our summer nights playing outside are dwindling but we're giving it our best to keep them alive.

Posted by: Brad at August 30, 2010 9:10 AM

You are lucky. I don't have any immediate family, really. I mean, I have my folks, but I'm an only child, so a family get-together really doesn't involve a lot of people.

Things are crazy for us. Fall is insanity season. This week is soccer practice twice, first day of school, the Apple press event :-), you know, I'm busy.

Posted by: Brooke at August 30, 2010 11:27 AM

If that boy's hair were any whiter, you might be able to use him as a flashlight. FYI.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at August 30, 2010 2:45 PM

Holy smokes. Owen's always been tow-headed, but when did Mia get so BLONDE?
Your kids are adorable, even with attitude. But I think you're in trouble when Mia hits those pre-teen years ;-)

Posted by: Amy at August 30, 2010 6:59 PM

It rained every day where I live. So I'm extending my middle finger to you and your nice beach weather!

Seriously, though, welcome back!

Posted by: Stephanie at August 30, 2010 8:45 PM

I've seen that attitude look Mia's sporting on my five year old MANY A TIME. :)

I'm good - just back from a weekend on Michigan's Mackinac Island for a military seminar on relationships (truly, it COULD have been interesting and amazing discussions - but the facilitator was a moron). So even though the seminars were a wash - the scenery? GORGEOUS. Some of my favorite shots from my weekend (sans kids) are on my blog...

And now, the last week before school begins. It's a long week.

Posted by: sarah at August 30, 2010 8:51 PM

um, could mia be any more beautiful? i think not.

Posted by: kati at August 30, 2010 10:23 PM

I'm getting from your tone that we're maybe NOT supposed use binge drinking as a parenting survival tool.

Families are awesome. Glad you have one to enjoy. Everyone should. Not everyone does (I do, in case that sounded morose).

Posted by: harmzie at August 31, 2010 8:54 AM

Um.

OHMYGODMIA.

That is all.

Posted by: Mr Lady at August 31, 2010 10:56 PM

LOVE Owen's tutu!

Posted by: jw at August 31, 2010 10:58 PM

Rehoboth Beach = all kinds of awesome. We're on our fourth year making the family pilgrimage to that small beach town in Delaware. We'll look for your clan there next summer.

Posted by: KT in NJ at September 1, 2010 11:27 AM