August 9, 2010

The Things I Learned

I don't know why but I feel like this was a very educational weekend. Actually, I'm tired and feel like I just got schooled by the weekend.

• I learned that taking Owen shoe-shopping is something of an adventure. I mean, there are stacks of boxes all of which need to be opened.
  • I learned that shoe store ladies are obviously not parents based on the looks I got.
  • I learned there is nothing better than a grocery store with a model train chugging through it. earned I can easily sit through three hours of 24 Hour Restaurant Battle.
  • I learned that it's getting increasingly difficult to type with a computer that only has partially functional O and Enter keys.
  • I learned that my wife's obsession with Freecycle continues to grow. I discovered this as I was hauling my old patio table out to the driveway to get picked up.
  • I learned that getting water stuck in your ear for 24 hours can drive you batshit crazy.
  • I learned that my son can make a freakish sound when his fingers get shut in a door (I didn't do it).
  • I learned that in my old(ish) age, I'm still impressively sprightly in certain respects.
  • I learned (or at least came to the realization that) Chipotle is the best example of restaurant genius ever.
  • I learned that one of my readers was not, in fact, mugged at gunpoint in London.
  • I learned how to make a half-decent pomodoro sauce from scratch.
  • I learned (or realized) that my kids and I love lots of things my wife does not - Scooby Doo, progressive rock, Jello, Doctor Who.
  • I learned a great nearby place for a romantic, anniversary weekend for two that I can't wait to visit.
My head feels gigantic with all that knowledge crammed in it. How about you? What did you learn this weekend. Posted by Chris at August 9, 2010 6:51 AM
Comments

There really is nothing better than sharing Doctor Who with your kids. It is one of the only shows my whole family will watch together.

Posted by: Meredith at August 9, 2010 6:57 AM

Yes, it was a full weekend!I learned:

1. Women in their 40's should NOT be tubing on the lake unless they want their back and shoulders so sore it even hurts to have them massaged!
2. Lake + sun + boat + BEER = good times
3. Will Farrell has gotten his mojo back in "The Other Guys"
4. Popcorn really shouldn't count as dinner.

Posted by: Debbie at August 9, 2010 7:13 AM

I learned, That I can make pickles with only vision in one eye.
I learned, that old movies on TCM are awesome to watch when making pickles.
I learned that despite a lot of the bad stuff, Life is good!

Posted by: Maribeth at August 9, 2010 7:57 AM

I learned that spending all day out in the sun at a horse show on Saturday makes me essentially useless on Sunday. No wait, I already knew that.

I learned that I was doing it wrong all these years that I've been grilling my corn on the cob in foil.

Posted by: COD at August 9, 2010 8:06 AM

Love, Love, Love Doctor Who, nice to know I'm not alone in this :) When does Mia start school? I imagine she is getting excited!

Posted by: Trish at August 9, 2010 8:55 AM

I learned that even at my size I'm capable of doing physical labor in the yard. However, I PAAAAAY for it the next day. Someone pass the Advil?

Posted by: NotAMeanGirl at August 9, 2010 9:33 AM

Was said grocery store a Wegmans by chance? Best grocery shopping experience in the universe! Free childcare while you shop? brilliant.

I learned that despite its stupid name, the iPad (won by my husband at a conference) is not a stupid product. However, the inability to view Flash? That is stupid.

I also learned that beets marinated in balsamic vinegar and then grilled are the best thing ever.

Posted by: Elizabeth at August 9, 2010 10:13 AM

I learned that it really is a good idea to have a supply of Xanax around when trying to teach your 16 year old son to drive in traffic. I wish I would have learned that BEFORE he got behind the wheel!

Posted by: Pegnandy at August 9, 2010 10:25 AM

I learned that a good thunderstorm creates the best mood for coffee drinking and long talks.

I learned that kids raised in small Mormon towns grow up and make some really demented - ahem - music.

I learned at 10,000 ft., along with the sun, 3.2 beer really is just fine.

I learned that I can't measure my drunkeness at altitude. I go from just fine one second, to stumbling drunk the next. I learned that I am not the only one who experiences this - as all 3 of us went from just fine, swimming and hanging in the hot tub one minute to clinging to the spinning earth about 15 minutes later.

I was again reminded that the older I get, the more hangovers SUCK.

Posted by: Mindy at August 9, 2010 12:29 PM

I love Chipotle! We take the kids there alot because, not only do they love the food, they love picking everything that goes into their meal, and I love that it's "fast food" but it's pretty healthy in comparison. To make things even better, we were there last Sunday & discovered that kids eat FREE on Sundays!

Posted by: margo at August 9, 2010 12:30 PM

A week from today I am making a 12-hour pilgrimage to San Francisco (from my current L.A. location) to see a band play. The bassist and singer are guys my friend and I met 19 years ago when we all worked at the mall together. We didn't move in the same circles and my friend and I lost track of the band guys. Facebook put us all back together, and Monday I am flying up to see my friend and to see these guys play a reunion show with the band of 20 years ago. I learned that friends make ALL the difference in life. These two guys are SO JAZZED that I am coming up, they keep posting on FB how awesome I am. My current situation SUCKS, but life is good when you are loved by people you admire. I can suffer almost anything knowing my friends want me around and miss me.

Posted by: Brooke at August 9, 2010 12:55 PM

Freecycle is awesome isn't it? LOL!
I've learned that I should be getting an offer letter today but they're dragging their feet on it so I might have to go to an interview this afternoon that I was really hoping I could call to cancel. I want that letter in my hand first though before I start canceling!!

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at August 9, 2010 1:21 PM

I learned that you take on gorgeous curly headed two year old nephew and give him a buzz cut (his momma did not me!) and he immediately looks 4 years older.

I learned that sometimes less is more.

I learned not to judge a book or a person by their cover.

I learned how much better your day can be if someone shows you a little bit of kindness.

and I learned that I still think wine tastes like a mouthful of dirty copper pennies.

Posted by: Amy at August 9, 2010 4:15 PM

I didn't learn too much, but I will concur with one of your reader's up above about Will Farrell's mojo. "The Other Guys" was a pretty good movie.

If you like Chipotle, you should visit Freebirds (www.freebirds.com) if you can ever find one close to you. I believe they are mostly in Texas, but they have the best burritos around. No I don't work there or own one....they just make burritos that are good enough that I will advertise for them.

Posted by: Rex at August 9, 2010 5:24 PM

i learned that swigging prosecco at the restaurant that your kids are losing their minds at since your husband will be driving home is AWESOME.

Posted by: kati at August 9, 2010 11:05 PM

I was not mugged at gunpoint in London, either. You can make that two readers.

Posted by: lumpyheadsmom at August 10, 2010 12:01 PM