August 6, 2010

The Weeklies #144

The Weekly Square Root of The Weeklies. 12

The Weekly Affliction. Heartburn. Seriously, ouch.

The Weekly Read. I sometimes talk about generic thrillers but fail to cite examples. Well, They're Watching by Gregg Hurwitz is just such an example. It's not that it's bad - it's actually a pretty compelling read - it's just just very two-dimensional and, ultimately, forgettable. In other words, is a perfect summer beach read.

The Weekly Great Appliance Breakdown. Our washing machine bit the big one. Yeah, I was really looking forward to parting with $800 this month. Good times.

The Weekly Technological Death. Google is killing Google Wave. Which impacts me not at all because I can't say that I ever understood what it was all about anyway.

The Weekly Music. I remember buying the first Black Crowes album way back when. It pretty much rocked. Subsequently albums rocked slightly less until the band seemed to all but disappear. That didn't stop me from going to see them live last year. They kicked ass though there was a marked difference to the band that cranked out Jealous Again. They were sporting the latest in mountain man chic and took long winding musical trips into jam-band territory. That said, there was no denying that these guys still had it. Their latest - Croweology - just goes to further prove that. Twenty of their best songs re-recorded using an arsenal of acoustic instruments. Sure, it seems like a low-effort ploy to release an album and make a quick buck but it sure doesn't sound like it.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Jillian Michaels is a fitness fanatic and, apparently, something of a hazard to your health. At least her "Triple Process Total Body Detox & Cleanse" diet supplement is. A lawsuit claims that the supplement contains a "potentially lethal combination of toxic ingredients" including - according to TMZ - Irish Moss Powder (causes ulcers and is used as an airplane de-icer), bearberry (makes you puke), arrow (toxic), Chinese rhubarb (severe dehydration and liver damage) and fenugreek seed (which makes you poop...a lot). Um, oops.

The Weekly Question. What's the worst - or at least the most outrageous - lie you've ever told?
The Weekly Question.

Posted by Chris at August 6, 2010 6:44 AM
Comments

I was on this terrible date, years and years ago and the guy just didn't take the hint that I wanted to go home. So I told him I was a diabetic and needed to get home because I needed my insulin. I know. I should just have kicked him to the curb, but, I was young and stupid and didn't want to hurt his feelings.
Now I ask myself, why not? He was a jerk, but.....

Posted by: Maribeth at August 6, 2010 8:43 AM

Its amazing how so many people to work out and become famous for working out, suddenly think they are experts on health. Sorry, but that usually takes training and education, and learning about things while talking to people at your gym or while attending celebrity parties is *not* considered education.

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at August 6, 2010 9:22 AM

I couldn't get into Google Wave. Other than Google reader and Google (for searching) I pretty much steer clear. I tried Google Chrome and it MAJORLY slowed down my computer, and filled it with all kinds of crap that my spysweeper picks up every scan. So I uninstalled it, but I think I missed something because I still get errors that say Google in them.... Grrrr!!

Not sure what my most outrageous lie is - Probably something like me telling a man I dated that things were okay when they really weren't. I'm not real big on lying....

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at August 6, 2010 10:13 AM

I was a pathological liar as a teen, so I'm sure I came up with many drug-fueled whoppers! However, I'm a really terrible liar, so I rarely even try anymore.

My best lie was an April Fools joke on my husband a few years ago. I convinced him that I had gotten fired and was actually able to keep the story going for several minutes.

One of my proudest moments ;)

Posted by: sherri at August 6, 2010 10:20 AM

Nice call on the Black Crowes. I used to see them play to 200 people in bars in Atlanta when they were still known as Mr Crowe's Garden.

Posted by: COD at August 6, 2010 10:28 AM

So, the news about the Jillian Michaels supplement is horrible and awful, but my first thought was, "Well, if it makes you puke and poop... it'll certainly clean you right out!"

(Bad Dawnie! No cookie!)

Posted by: Dawn at August 6, 2010 12:47 PM

I don't have the new BC album, but I do have the rest and I'll tell you, I don't love any of them like I love "Shake Your Money Maker".

Have you seen easiertounderstandthanwave.com? Holy crap, that's some funny shit.

Lies, hmmm...I don't really tell them. I am guilty of not telling a significant other when things are bad; I'm always hoping they'll get better and I can avoid the nasty breakup and hurt feelings, but that never works out for me.

The worst lie I ever told was a lie of omission. I declined to show my parents the progress report in high school that showed I was getting a D in Algebra II. I thought I could pull that out of the basement. Much like my relationship lies, that didn't work either, and I got a D on my report card and my parents grounded me for three fucking months. Not bitter about that, nope.

Posted by: Brooke at August 6, 2010 12:48 PM

Actually, that sounds like a highly efficient cocktail to take if you want to clean yourself out ASAP.

Most outrageous lie: I was in a random bar in Scottsdale when this douchebag walked in wearing a pink polo shirt and was being flanked by a couple of sorority-looking tanning-bed floozies. I was in the military at the time doing interesting stuff in interesting places and we struck up a conversation about nothing in particular. He asked what I did for a living and I said I was in the Air Force without going into anymore details. He started talking about how he was in med school and turned down the opportunity to be an AF pilot in order to make more money as a doctor. He said that he was sure he could've made it through pilot training, though, because how hard could it be? I then told him that I was an F-15 pilot who'd just returned from Bosnia. At that, he and his little entourage shut up and skulked away. Mission accomplished. Best lie ever.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at August 6, 2010 3:56 PM

I didn't understand Google Wave either, so I am completely unaffected by its demise. I try not to lie, partly because I am entirely awful at it. heh.

Posted by: Heather at August 6, 2010 10:53 PM

Hi, this doesn't have anything to do with your post, but I wish you would put a "search" function on your blog. I frequently find myself trying to remember what a person wrote about a specific topic but since I can't remember the date of the entry, I have no hope of finding it to re-read. kthxbai :)

Posted by: Amy at August 7, 2010 12:37 AM

Ditto on The Black Crowes. Their debut album ranks high on my Desert Island collection, and every single last track on it is worth listening to repeatedly. It's hard to replicate that kind of perfection.

Hmmm... I never got very much into lying because I was so terrible at it and was usually uncovered immediately. Without going into details, I can safely say that the worst lies I've ever told were to myself.

Posted by: diamond dave at August 7, 2010 12:10 PM