August 13, 2010

The Weeklies #145

The Weekly Superstition. Hey everybody, its Friday the 13th!

The Weekly Beer. Full Sail Pale Ale

The Weekly Time Waster. Check out the Virtual Kaleidoscope!

The Weekly Read. Don Winslow quickly became one of my favorite authors after I read The Winter of Frankie Machine. He's got this insane style that gets you so involved in the story and provides such rich background, you feel as thought its real. While Winter might still be my favorite, nothing he's written has been bad. Savages, though, is a little different. Winslow tweaked his style. It's shorter, less detailed, written in a type of familiar slang that's tough to get used to at first then oddly familiar. The book had the feel of an experiment yet it's one that didn't sacrifice story. I was completely drawn in at the end, and left sucker-punched by its conclusion.

The Weekly Music. There is absolutely no reason why you should not own Mumford & Sons Sigh No More. None. It is a bizarre hybrid of folk and rock that somehow manages to avoid the trap of being boring that so many other bands fall into. In fact Sigh No More is a brilliant mix of serious, loose, joyful and nothing short of extraordinary.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Hear the one about the strippers who protested in front of a church? It's true. See, the strippers were tired of the church hauling out its signs and protesting in front of their place of business so they decided to show the church-goers how it felt. And more power to them. You can't judge until you've walked a mile in someone else's nine inch lucite stripper heels.

The Weekly Words of Advice. Whenever you're torn and have no idea which direction to turn, ask yourself this - What would Lego Jesus do?

lego.jesus.jpg

The Weekly Question. The handicapped stall in public restrooms - forbidden or roomy and yours if available?

Posted by Chris at August 13, 2010 6:56 AM
Comments

Available, unless there is a handicapped person present. I don't know who started the rumor that it wasn't.

Posted by: Debbie at August 13, 2010 7:02 AM

Available but I don't generally use it if there is another choice.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at August 13, 2010 8:06 AM

Available- its not like a handicapped parking space, you don't need a special tag to use it. I generally don't use it but I did all the time when I had small kids and a stroller, etc...

Posted by: Lisa at August 13, 2010 8:32 AM

I don't use the handicapped stall if there is another available, unless I have my daughter with me. The other stalls are just too small for 2.

And I have to give those protesting strippers a big thumbs up - that is hilarious and entirely appropriate!

Have a great weekend!

Posted by: Elizabeth at August 13, 2010 8:43 AM

Available! I know this sounds terrible tot he "politically correct police", but I have bladder handicaps of my own. So if it's open and I gotta go...I go!

Posted by: Maribeth at August 13, 2010 9:23 AM

This is even a question? I believe those with specific access needs want access not exclusivity. It isn't like a parking stall where the bathroom is tied up while the "driver" is long gone.

In my workplace, the accessible stall is the only one with a lid on the toilet which prevents the autoflush from misfiring until I want it to! (stupidest invention - sure I don't have to touch the flusher, but I immediately turn around and touch the stall lock)

Posted by: harmzie at August 13, 2010 9:39 AM

Available. I generally only use it if it's the last one available or I have a kid (or two, and definitely three!) with me.

Posted by: Becky at August 13, 2010 11:02 AM

You're about the third person this week who's mentioned Mumford & Sons. Perhaps I should get off my butt and check them out.

Posted by: Dawn at August 13, 2010 11:47 AM

You and I have had this convo before, Mr. Cactus.

I never use the handicapped stall unless it's the only one available and no handicapped person is present.

That's awesome about the strippers. Hey, don't dish it if you can't take it, right?

Posted by: Brooke at August 13, 2010 11:49 AM

Roomy and mine if available. Especially at work, where we have no disabled people.

Posted by: Mindy at August 13, 2010 12:20 PM

OK..was checking out St. Louis's news and found something I thought you could add to your Church Strippers! Check out the video and pics with the story...it seems so Cactus worthy!

Posted by: Cheryl at August 13, 2010 12:32 PM

Your Lego Jesus reminds me of my favorite photographer Chris McVeigh: http://www.flickr.com/photos/powerpig/

Posted by: oakley at August 13, 2010 12:32 PM

Absolutely roomy and mine.

it's not like a parking spot. Its a bathroom set to accomodate those who are handicapped, not forbidden to everyone else.

Posted by: Molly at August 13, 2010 1:00 PM

Mine, if available, unless I see someone around who might need to use it. Sometimes, it's the only one available, or it's the cleanest one. And it's not like I'm gonna spend an hour or two in there.

Posted by: ironic1 at August 13, 2010 2:45 PM

I always go for the handicap stall.

Posted by: Heather at August 13, 2010 2:48 PM

I got used to go into the handicapped stall when I was pregnant and can't seem to break myself of that habit. I figure the chances of me being in there when another person needs it are pretty slim.

Posted by: Claire at August 13, 2010 3:05 PM

I lost a bet with my sister in law on this. I called the authorities who police these things and they thought I was insane to even ask. They just want a place they can get to. You can go in there if you like.

Posted by: TheQueen at August 13, 2010 7:25 PM

Roomy and very handy when you have to take several little people potty at the same time!

Posted by: Kris at August 13, 2010 8:33 PM

I often use the handicapped stall if it's available and I don't see anyone about who might need it. If the other stalls are very small, I sometimes get quite claustrophobic and it's just far more comfortable.
On other things, such as a parking spot, I'm far firmer on 'the rules'. One that I recently discovered to be very important was the use of the elevators on the ferries between Vancouver and Vancouver Island. I was taking my grandfather home from a medical test in Vancouver, and though he's fine to shuffle around the house, he tires very quickly and needed to have a wheelchair for the trip. We were on one of the older ferries, which only has two very small elevators (only one wheelchair would fit at a time, plus max 3 very crowded standing people). After waiting 20 minutes with another gentleman in a wheelchair and a woman whose young daughter had a mobility issue - ie. people who NEEDED the elevator - I found myself extremely resentful of the many people who were tying up the elevator when they were perfectly capable of walking DOWN the stairs. (Unfortunately it seems to be largely able-bodied Asian tourists). It's not as significant of an issue on the newer boats which have 'normal'-sized elevators, but on these? We had a discussion with one of the staff, and we all agreed that there should be a sign indicating that the priority of elevators goes to disabled patrons (if not exclusively for them.)

Posted by: Heather at August 13, 2010 8:34 PM

I agree that if the stall isn't in use and a disabled person isn't waiting, it is fair game, especially for those with children in tow. Also, I found, when my son was still in diapers, the KoalaKare changing table is often in the handicap stall. Which tells me it is not reserved for the disabled, but engineered to accomodate.

Posted by: Annie at August 14, 2010 4:17 PM

Re the handicapped toilet stall, have you seen the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode on just that question?

Posted by: Janice at August 14, 2010 7:03 PM

My hubby is trying to get me into Mumford & Sons...I have only heard one song--gotta check out more!

Posted by: Jane in Pa at August 14, 2010 11:20 PM

Even though its generally considered to be the handicapped stall, in truth its just the stall that's configured to be large enough accommodate people who require a larger than average stall. There's no sign on the stall door, unlike a parking place. That being said, I only use it if its the only stall available.

Posted by: J at August 16, 2010 11:02 AM

I've always seen using the handicapped stall as playing with fire. Imagine you're in their in the middle your primary activity and suddenly this dude in a wheelchair rolls over to the stall door and knocks.

And that's just the beginning of the awkward. What happens when you finish and walk out? These are the things that I think about when I use those stalls, which makes the stay as short as possible.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at August 16, 2010 11:08 AM

No LEGO Jesus for me, I was at Star Wars Celebration with LEGO Star Wars. :)

If there are many stalls available then go for those. If it's a round robin of many women going in and out of stalls then the handicapped stall is yours unless a handicapped person says something. Or a pregnant lady. Or an older lady. Or a lady with kids. Or a beast.

Posted by: Poppy at August 17, 2010 7:26 PM

Glad to find a fellow fan of Mumford and Sons. Check out Winter Winds, it's another great track and a great video too. Another favourite of mine is The Cave. Cheers, Fi.

Posted by: Fi at August 18, 2010 4:58 AM