August 2, 2010

You Know It's A Successful Weekend When...

...both of your children simultaneously leave their chairs at dinner, walk over to their parents and tell them that their fondest desire is not a puppy or a pony but to go bed.

That is precisely what happened at 6:00 yesterday evening. And we promptly complied with those requests.

On Friday, both of Mia and Owen's cousins came over for the afternoon. We hit the pool (briefly, because it was uncharacteristically chilly for late July in DC), got all dressed up and gave several performances, had a big dinner, and generally ran around like crazy people. Six hours of that will wear you out. The three hours of yard work I did before that certainly did. On Sunday there were birthday parties (okay, just one) to be attended. Owen - who had been awake a good portion of the previous night with a case of snifflous maximus (the sniffles) - decided to sit it out with me. Instead we went out and got lunch - Chipotle, where else? - and did some hardcore hanging around. Once Mia and Beth got home, Owen fell asleep on me which was a nice change of pace but slightly warm and drooly though having children who are old and decidedly 90% out of the sleep on dad phase, you just learn to go with it and hold on (even encourage) those moments when they present themselves. And then we ate dinner - Indian - during which the aforementioned bed request came to fruition.

All of this after perhaps the most hectic week I have ever had. I'm beat. But I'm back at work and bracing myself for more (thank you, may I have another?). When do I get to go to bed at 6:00?

What did you all do with your weekends? And how are the weeks ahead of you shaping up?

Posted by Chris at August 2, 2010 7:20 AM
Comments

Somehow yesterday I ended up completely redesigning my blog, which was odd because I had no plan to do that when I got up. Oh well, at least it's all purddy again.

4 day work week for me this week. Woot!

Posted by: COD at August 2, 2010 8:46 AM

Two more weeks until my vacation!!! And I got to hold the brand new baby all weekend! Until his mother asked for him back. Hrmph. I forsee lots of baby holding in my future.

Posted by: k8 at August 2, 2010 12:13 PM

Well, I single-parented my 10 year old and my 2 year old this weekend. We were very busy and I'm really tired. But, my daughter is school-supplied and my son has a new accessory for his wooden train set and I have clean laundry. My favorite moment was in church on Sunday, when my son (who doesn't usually attend) yelled out "Yay!" and clapped his hands after the opening song.

Posted by: Brooke at August 2, 2010 12:43 PM

I love it when my kids are so wiped out that they choose to go to bed early. Our weekend was spent getting the last of the stuff ready to start school, and lots of working and playing in the yard. My 5 year old curled up in her dad's lap last night after dinner and promptly fell asleep, something she almost never does.

Not much planned for the week, it's our last full week of summer though, my daughter starts kindergarten next week. Weird California schools start too early! :-)

Posted by: Stephanie at August 2, 2010 12:50 PM

I remember my Dad having weekends like that when we were young and him saying that he couldn't wait to go back to work so he could relax. LOL!
(He worked for IBM)

We went down to visit my parents in Rhinebeck over the weekend. It wasn't as zooish as the media made it seem, though we avoided the middle of town. We didn't hit any traffic and the weather was gorgeous.

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at August 2, 2010 1:09 PM

How sad is it that I can't even remember the weekend I just lived through?!?? I remember helping to hang a cabinet over the toilet in the half bath... doing laundry... going to Babies R Us to buy a baby shower gift (and drooling over baby stuff... hoping to have to be registering for that stuff soon...)... grocery shopping and Wal-Marting... nothing exciting.

My next few weeks are shaping up to be rather busy, compared to how the rest of my summer has gone. A weekend trip to Chicago for said baby shower, finishing up projects I've put off all summer, getting back into my classroom to organize it before actually having to go back to work (I had to pack up and move rooms at the end of last year)... and back to the daily grind on Aug. 23rd.

All I can say is that I know it's bad when the alarm goes off and my first coherent thought is, "When can I get in a nap today?"

Posted by: ironic1 at August 2, 2010 2:26 PM

I'm worn out just reading that! We recovered from a busy few days spent over in Brussels visiting friends and their very lovely new baby.

Up ahead, a knitting event, Edinburgh Book Festival, eco-home show and 2 weddings in one weekend.

Posted by: Katherine at August 2, 2010 3:25 PM

My boys are still in Oklahoma with my parents, so I enjoyed another kid-free weekend. Friday night was spent with hot boyfriend, good friends and wine, Saturday was spent with a good friend and coffee, Saturday night was spent with hot boyfriend and more wine, Sunday was spent doing yard work all day long, and Sunday night was spent having dinner with hot boyfriend and brother, and enjoying more wine.

There seems to be a theme, there.

Next weekend, last weekend kid-free, taking a trip with hot boyfriend and friends to celebrate my 35th (bringing lots of wine) the following weekend, my kids are home and we'll finish up school shopping and such - and I'll dry out. Couple more things going on - but mostly - looking forward to August 23rd, the day school starts for both boys. One camping trip in September - and then lots of traveling to visit hot boyfriend while he works out of town through January. Good times, good times.

Posted by: Mindy at August 2, 2010 4:43 PM

I went for a four hour drive to meet my Grampy at the hospital where he was having tests and then wheeled him home ;-)
(Getting the wheelchair in and out of the car, especially on the ferry - with the ridiculously small and crowded [by stupid tourists] elevator on it - was an adventure! And he could even get out and walk a few steps. I can't imagine how it would've been if he couldn't have!)
Also, Mum and I went to a huge (40,000 attendees) outdoor symphony performance at the Victoria harbour. It was grand :)

Posted by: Heather at August 3, 2010 1:10 AM

so good!

Posted by: juicy couture at August 5, 2010 3:38 AM

Everybody needs comfortable shoes. Manolo Blahnik Shoes are made both for women and men. Manolo Blahnik offers not only snug shoe but also fashionable shoes. Manolo Blahnik Sale more discount for you!

Posted by: Manolo Blahnik sale at February 26, 2011 1:01 AM

Jimmy Choo Sale is very fashionable this year. More and more people focus on the Jimmy Choo Outlets Shoes for a long time, so Jimmy Choo Outlet online store is hot all the same. What’s more, people like to purchase Moncler Jackets For Men for their husband from our

Posted by: Jimmy Choo Shoes at February 26, 2011 1:04 AM

Yesterday, my friend bought a Christian Louboutin on sale which is so beautiful, i am surprised by the design and style.
Do you have a pair of Christian Louboutin sale now? if not, go to online store and have one, it is so amazing!!!

Posted by: star at March 9, 2011 8:07 PM

The Skechers Shpae Ups Online hot sale, enjoying the comfort from Shape Ups shoes, here not only MBT Sandals Sale but also Reebok Zigtech Sale!

Posted by: Skechers shape ups at March 28, 2011 9:44 PM

Posted by: Skechers shape ups at March 28, 2011 9:45 PM

The Coach Outlet from us, in 1941, The Coach Factory Outlet are established, The Coach Factory let the middle class can afford to buy a cheap price of luxury enterprise honor!

Posted by: Coach Factory Outlet at November 22, 2011 4:35 AM

Posted by: Coach Factory Outlet at November 22, 2011 4:37 AM

Posted by: Coach Factory Outlet at November 22, 2011 4:39 AM

With the birth of Moncler Outlet, many people fall in love with the Moncler Jackets at the first sight, in the extreme cold weather, they can bring the Moncler UK Jackets!

Posted by: Moncler Outlet at November 22, 2011 4:41 AM