September 2, 2010

Putting Ben and Jerry In The Rearview Mirror

Just the other day I realized something that surprised me. That's odd since I don't surprise easily plus this is something about me and I'm me. Every day. So what is this surprising revelation you ask? I don't eat like crap anymore.

Everyone knows that when you go on vacation all those pesky rules governing everyday life get thrown out the window, especially the ones pertaining to food and drink. (Ahh, I still remember that one drunken summer when I got loaded, got on my unicycle and accidentally killed a midget. Even though I was on vacation - no rules - and it was a freak accident, I'm still a little worried about that one catching up with me.) Last year when we went to the beach I made a very firm commitment that I would eat pizza everyday for lunch and have a sno-cone each and every day. I also pledged to have beer at lunch. And I'll be damned if I didn't meet and exceed those modest goals. One day I even had two sno-cones (I really know how to live on the edge). This year I had the same plan. And I failed miserably. My consumption of beach food was limited to two greasy pieces of pizza (in the same sitting) and three snoc-ones. Three. Pathetic. By day four, I turned to Beth and said I'd kill a hobo for a salad. Luckily I didn't have to because most restaurants are happy to accept cash in exchange for salads and there certainly didn't seem to be many hobos around to prey upon.

I used to eat three pints of ice cream a week and stop every day on the way home from work to pick up candy. I'd eat a bag of Chex Mix in a sitting, four cups of coffee in the morning, and a few Cokes throughout the day. I'd eat a lousy breakfast, skip lunch entirely, have a big dinner then snack all night. And I let myself get away with it for a while because, hey, I'm a vegetarian so if I'm not eating all that meat, I might as well let myself indulge because it all balances out, right? Now I rarely have ice cream, never stop for candy, limit myself to two cups of coffee and I haven't had a soda in probably six months. I regularly have a decent breakfast and eat a good solid lunch that includes salad and rarely do I eat after dinner.

What the hell has happened to me? What's going on here? Have I done the impossible and grown up? The idea scares the hell out of me but I can't help but think that's exactly what's happened.

How would you change your eating habits if you could? And what's your most severe food vice?

Posted by Chris at September 2, 2010 6:55 AM
Comments

this made me laugh. we went camping a few weeks ago and food rules were chucked - chips, booze (adults) sugary drinks (kids) and crap we just never eat were consumed. my husband and i were bloated messes (niiiiiice for the bathing suit/bikini wearing on the beach) and the girls looked a little strung out. we are back to normal now feeling and looking much better. i just can't eat that shit anymore. our major vice is alcohol - a drink or two, one with dinner and one after the kids go to bed. we've even cut that out and replaced it with water or herbal tea (god i sound like a geek!). we do get a little naughty on the weekend, but usually pay for it the next day.

long winded way of saying we are getting old.

Posted by: meanie at September 2, 2010 8:03 AM

Okay my biggest food vice is Wiener Schnitzel. When I was in Germany recently I think I ate like 4 or 5 meals of it. Love it!
But the sensible me, yeah, I love my greens and I did miss a good salad, because mostly in Germany you get kraut salads and cabbage and I don't agree on much.

Posted by: Maribeth at September 2, 2010 8:20 AM

We bought a lakehouse two years ago and go regularly throughout the summer. I started a habit that we have continued to this day. I have never made hamburgers or hotdogs, instead I marinate chicken and grill it, or grill portobello mushrooms with tomatoes, spinach and feta cheese inside. I don't buy junk food, chips. Now, we do have sodas and beer but otherwise, healthy choices have been the rule. Its a habit that we have all enjoyed since the food is much fresher and beautiful than a hot dog.

I think your tastes have matured is all Chris.Plus once you do start putting good food inside your body that is what it will crave. And beer. always beer.

Posted by: Debbie at September 2, 2010 8:28 AM

I changed my eating habits at the beginning of this year because I was working out daily and "eating right" but not losing any.thing. I also have intestinal "issues" which I wanted to get a handle on. So I stopped: eating crap, drinking dt. soda daily, eating junk after dinner, and eliminated about 99.9% of processed foods and food with high fructose corn syrup.
Summer was a little more free and easy and on weekends there's always Corona in the fridge and ice cream in the freezer. But when Monday rolls around, it's back to reality.
My most severe food vice is still pizza and beer and ice cream but if I'm careful with everything else, I'm ok at the end of the day.

Posted by: NancyJ at September 2, 2010 8:33 AM

I was really just wondering how you made that happen. I can be angelic with my food choices for a few days, then out of the blue - derail. Yesterday, for example, I ate ALL day long. I didn't eat poorly - just a LOT - and I wonder sometimes how people can only eat at specific times of the day and sharply limit their intake of certain items. Sometimes, I think it's a subconscious decision, and other times, I think they must have iron-clad dedication.

Posted by: Emily at September 2, 2010 8:44 AM

I'm a sweets guy. Cookies are a vice. I'm in shape though and given the option of having 8-pack abs instead of the 4 pack I have plus lots of cookies, I'll keep my cookies.

I'm conscious of what I eat. I wasn't before. I think that's the difference.

Posted by: Brad at September 2, 2010 11:41 AM

I'd drink less soda if I could. But, whenever I give it up for Lent I suffer for 6 weeks (which is the point, I guess), and life is short, you know? Coca-cola and his friend Dr. Pepper are my vices.

Posted by: Brooke at September 2, 2010 11:46 AM

I've changed my diet a lot over the last few years and I've found I can turn down all kinds of junk food without breaking a sweat. But there are a few things that I can't say no to. Burritos. Bagels and cream cheese. Salted caramel anything. White Chedder Cheez-its. Mmmmm.

Posted by: Erin at September 2, 2010 12:17 PM

I've gone almost 100% gluten free since my son was diagnosed with a major gluten intolerance. Saying goodbye to processed foods was difficult at first - but now - I eat 2 oreos and I feel sluggish and yucky. I never realized how sick what I was eating made me feel.

My most severe food vice is corn tortilla chips with salsa and guacamole. And I will never, ever give it up.

Posted by: Mindy at September 2, 2010 12:22 PM

It seems we end up at McDonalds 1-2 times per week. It's the only fast/kid-friendly place in this town and the kids love it so we seem to opt for it during a day out or after Library time, or on the way back from the 1.5-hour drive to the Fred Meyer in a neighboring town.

But my biggest food vice is the mid-afternoon snack. While Kid-2 is napping and Kid-1 is watching a movie, I join her with a snack, which usually ads 2-300 calories to my daily intake. I wish that were a habit I didn't have.

Posted by: Amy at September 2, 2010 12:35 PM

I found I started eating better when my son started eating real food. I want to model good behavior and also want to be here when he gets married. Ding Dongs will not make that happen. That said, I do love baked goods, cookies especially. I'm trying to find a balance between health and happiness. Because a life devoid of cupcakes and the occasional Cheez Doodle isn't worth living.

Posted by: Annie at September 2, 2010 12:47 PM

Awwww! Our little Chris is growing up so fast! :-)

My food vice is Ben & Jerry's. Except that it seems to only be when I'm at the grocery store buying it with conviction. When it gets home to my freezer, it just sits there & when I see it, I'm all "meh"/

Posted by: harmzie at September 2, 2010 2:08 PM

It's amazing how it sneaks up on you, isn't it? The worst part, though, is that you don't even enjoy the occasional binge on junk food anymore. Three days of pizza would have me in tears looking for anything that vaguely resembeled a vegetable.

Posted by: Dawn at September 2, 2010 2:23 PM

Currently being broke, I've had to eat entirely at home. Combined with walking 1.5 miles each day, I've surprisingly lost 22 pounds. I probably would lose more except there's that vice (that even comes in generic at 60 cents a bottle) - non-diet lemon lime soda. Oh well!

Posted by: Heather at September 2, 2010 3:37 PM

Fuck I hate when midgets get in the way of my unicycle!

(Yes, we are the same way... by the time they start asking if we want a salad with that and we always say yes. To their surprise and mine.)

Posted by: Nat at September 2, 2010 4:58 PM

my worst food vice is starbucks dark cherry mochas. i know. I KNOW, OK? but after battling some post partum depression after my second, those things have pretty much kept me alive. that sounds dramatic. maybe i wouldn't go that far. but seriously. "i wish i could quit, you!"

Posted by: kati at September 2, 2010 5:30 PM

My worst food vice is Chicken Fried Steak with Gravy. It's capitalized because it is indeed a proper noun.

I eat really healthily compared to everyone else I know because I have Reactive Hypoglycemia. It's sorta like Diabetes but with less side effects and the opposite, if that makes any sense.

With most foods I have trained myself to stop eating when I'm full, or when my blood sugar tells me to stop. But Cracker Barrel Chicken Fried Steak takes me down every single time. I leave a little dizzy, full, happy, and ready to take a nap every time. Thankfully it's a once a year event.

Side note: I can totally relate to your love of a good salad. Recently I devoured a Carrabba's Caesar Salad. I would rank its awesomeness right up there with a chicken fried steak. And then my "meal" of parmesan mushroom creamy awesome chicken came. I was devastated. With not a speck of room in my stomach for the meal, and a hotel room to go back to, I felt like a giant assface. I took it with me in a to-go to save face, but it rotted on my bed side table while I slept. Frigging starving children will repeatedly kick me in the face when I pass.

Posted by: Jen Ben at September 2, 2010 7:14 PM

I definitely eat far too much ice cream. I have too many "comfort foods" - I need to better detach emotion from eating.

Posted by: Heather at September 2, 2010 8:13 PM

Embarrassingly, I have changed too...I used to be able to live off of nothing but crap food for weeks...and now after, like, 2 days I am done and need, like, celery or something.

But I DO enjoy a donut every single saturday morning with my coffee...and it's lovely.

Posted by: alimartell at September 2, 2010 10:14 PM

My worst vices would have to be coca-cola, pizza and a particular kind of crisp we get here called "Flings" - loved those ever since I was a kid. I can turn down chocolates, cakes, ice cream etc, but those things severely test my willpower. And the other one which is not so much a vice but kinda hard to stick to is not to have starch with our evening meal.

At the start of the year a doc recommended I lose weight to help with conceiving so we went to a dietitian who put us on a diet. The nutshell version of the diet was this: no more liquid sugar *ever*, not even flavoured water, low GI (and very restrictive on the types of cereals I could have), no more than 25g of fructose per day and absolutely no starch at night whatsoever (including some legumes). Man, I tell you, that last one was the hardest thing to do. I adjusted to the other stuff fairly easily, but we've always had potatoes or rice with our dinner. It is really, really hard to pass on a yummy roasted potato or sweet potato...

Posted by: Delia at September 3, 2010 4:40 AM

I've actually become a pretty decent eater. Not especially low fat (I prefer fat to the chemicals and sugar they substitute for fat, so I make the tradeoff) but good. In the summer, I do indulge in ice cream a bit, but my biggest problem foods are Jelly Belly beans and Skittles. I love both, and both kill me immediately and painfully, to the point where my mouth hurts, my stomach hurts, my head hurts - and I can't stop eating them.

I avoid them like the plague, because I can't have just one.

Posted by: blepharisma at September 3, 2010 10:50 AM