September 10, 2010

So I Could Have Today

911%20copy.jpg

In 2004, I snapped a photo at Ground Zero. Written on the metal wall was a very straightforward sentence that defied its simplicity.

You gave so much so I could have today. Thanks and God bless.

Next to it was a cross hung on the same metal wall, and next to that a dry, withered rose. Taken together, these things all combined to say what I was feeling. Though it had been three years since the Towers fell, the site was no less - what's the word - dramatic.

I remember leaving work hearing the receptionist tell someone that a small plane had hit a building in New York City. I was going to see my psychiatrist that morning, to check in. Her office was on a hill that overlooked Washington. As I got closer, I saw smoke from the Pentagon. I turned on the radio and listened to what happened - both the true accounts and all the false reports that were circulating. I ran in, told my psychiatrist, and she began crying immediately which I recall thinking was a tad unusual and reactive for someone whom I was paying to guard my own mental health. And then I got in my car and headed home. I sat in traffic for hours. When I got back to the apartment Beth and I were living in and saw the TV on, it suddenly occurred to me that someone actually had video of this terrible horrible no good very bad thing happening. Then it hit me what had happened.

What I'll always remember - what everyone seems to remember - is what a beautiful day it was. What I'll never forget to this very day is the fact that some gave so much so I could have today.

911%20copy2.jpg

Posted by Chris at September 10, 2010 6:41 AM
Comments

It was a day like no other. It was a day that I lost what little innocence I had left and understood that there is real evil in our world.

Posted by: Maribeth at September 10, 2010 7:51 AM

it was a beautiful day..... i always remember that too..xoxo

Posted by: suicide_blond at September 10, 2010 8:01 AM

A ton of memories of that day and the ones that followed, but the one thing that struck me the most odd was how quiet it was the next three days when the planes were grounded. It was the first time in my whole life that there wasn't a sound ( however faint ) of jets.

Posted by: metawizard at September 10, 2010 8:07 AM

What a beautiful tribute!

Posted by: Krush at September 10, 2010 8:08 AM

Beautiful post.
I remember it was such a bright blue cloudless sky. It's still hard to fathom that something that horrific happened in NYC...well, that and OKC too.

Posted by: NancyJ at September 10, 2010 8:51 AM

amen.

Posted by: varinia at September 10, 2010 11:30 AM

It was truly horrific to watch and feel so helpless on that day. The kids I work with took it very hard and said things like "what does it matter, we are all going to die anyway"... it was hard to be strong and yet feel so helpless.

The one thing I keep close is that a friend twittered about their visit to the site in PA and talked about how unaccompanied minors (children traveling alone) were on the plane. For them, as well as for me, it was tough .I was a child who traveled alone and then when I became a mom... well, I still just get choked up about that and tear up.

Posted by: Blair at September 10, 2010 5:24 PM

I'm kinda teary today anyway, but this piece really did make me well up inside. Thank you again for your wonderful writing.

Posted by: Heather at September 11, 2010 1:05 PM

While watching 102 Minutes, my husband looked over at my wet face and said, "You're CRYing?"
I told him that I didn't have TV (by choice) when it all happened and likely haven't seen much of the footage before, and that every time I see the towers struck and fallen I remember how that day felt, and I think of the people who jumped (to their deaths), those who died, those who witnessed, those who loved them, and those who gave so much to help.
He seemed to understand.
Thank you for your beautiful remarks and thoughts.

Posted by: Karen at September 14, 2010 10:22 PM

J'étais juste parcourant des articles du blog lié à mon projet de recherche et je suis tombé à la vôtre découvrir. Merci pour l'excellente information!sddfsasdad

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 3:48 AM