September 7, 2010

Bean On A Bus

In a few minutes - too few - I will be doing something that absolutely nothing could have prepared me for. Not trying, trauma, or even hypnosis. I'm going to put Mia - my baby, my Bean - on a great big school bus and send her on her way for her very first day of kindergarten.

Here's the plan. We're going to get Mia on the bus, follow her to school to make sure she gets in okay, then we're going home to play with Owen and drink heavily. Sure, I know it'll be, like, 9:30 when we get home but, while it's cliche, it really is five o'clock somewhere, right?

I know at the end of the day we'll collect Mia from the bus stop, she will smile and we will beam lovingly at her and all will be well. But luckily the school day is long. That'll give us time to fall apart and put ourselves back together again.

Posted by Chris at September 7, 2010 7:00 AM
Comments

When my daughter started full-day kindergarten last year, I felt proud and excited for her. And at the end of the year, when she could do so much more and so much better than the start of the year, I knew why.

I suppose if your child has not been to day care or pre-school and has not been away from you, I could see how it would be difficult.

Maybe I just got myself into a different mindset before she went off to kindergarten...

Posted by: Kaz at September 7, 2010 8:27 AM

I should add that my daughter was a walker, so we were able to take her right into her classroom and say goodbye (whether that made it easier or not, I am not sure).

You probably could have driven her and walked her into her classroom the first day. most schools around here allow that (and many parents do that).

Posted by: Kaz at September 7, 2010 8:28 AM

Good for you!! Letting your child be independent is a badge of honor you should wear proudly. My son was one of the only ones on the bus on the first day of school but I felt that the driver needs to know he is riding and he didn't need me to hold his hand (sure, I wouldn't have minded but the point was HE didn't need me - I needed it more than he did!). If Mia was fine with riding the bus then yea for Mia! and yea for you two for allowing her to grow up.

Posted by: Debbie at September 7, 2010 8:48 AM

Ah, soon enough there will be days when you want to shove her on that bus with your foot. Go. To. SCHOOL. ;-)

Posted by: Alison at September 7, 2010 8:50 AM

It blows my mind, how children have the audacity to GROW UP and GO TO SCHOOL and such nonsense!

Wishing Mia a wonderful first day of school! Riding the bus...that's so exciting. And brave!

Posted by: Sam at September 7, 2010 8:53 AM

Traumatic day. They grow up so fast.

Posted by: cassie-b at September 7, 2010 9:18 AM

First day of school...Congratulations.

Posted by: William at September 7, 2010 9:41 AM

Happy First day, Mia!!

This has got to be one of the hardest days as a parent - watching your first born step onto the cheese bus for the first time. It gets easier - trust me -

Enjoy your Owen time!

Posted by: Molly at September 7, 2010 9:43 AM

I cannot believe it is the day that Mia-bean goes to her first day of big girl school! Wasn't it just yesterday that you brought her home from the hospital?
Pass the bottle, buddy!

Posted by: Maribeth at September 7, 2010 9:43 AM

My little Charlotte started kindergarten today too. I thought I'd be really sad, but I'm not. I guess the joy she felt rubbed off on me! Although the fact that I've done this before with my son and I've left her at daycare every day for the last couple of years certainly didn't hurt :) Yeah Mia! Have fun!

Posted by: Elizabeth at September 7, 2010 9:44 AM

Argh! So glad our kids don't ride the bus until 6th grade! This morning I put my 6th and 8th graders on that bus, then walked my 3rd grader to school down the street.

Posted by: Karen at September 7, 2010 10:23 AM

Hurrah for Mia! So exciting and scary at the same time. I'm sure she's going to love it.

Posted by: Shannon at September 7, 2010 10:30 AM

First day of school! She's growing up so fast! And you, too. You'll get more grey hair out of this one.

Posted by: k8 at September 7, 2010 10:43 AM

But somehow it is easier than that.

It is hard, but it is good. And she will come home all excited and it will be so much easier tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day.

Posted by: Sarah at September 7, 2010 11:15 AM

I cannot believe she is starting school! I am sure she will have a wonderful time. It is great that you were able to be there for her first day also. Those are moments all of you will remember for a lifetime.

Posted by: Krush at September 7, 2010 11:27 AM

My Amelia started kindergarten a few weeks ago so I understand! It was definitely harder for me than for her though. :-) We haven't worked up to riding the bus yet although she really wants to. (Our school is weird, they drop the kids off at the school an hour before it starts and there isn't anyone there to supervise them, or let them in the gate, so no bus riding for us for a few years. lol)

I hope she has a great first day! :-)

Posted by: Stephanie at September 7, 2010 11:46 AM

I am sure Mia will have a fantastic day - and you and Beth will be just fine. You will. Owen, however, after having her home with him all day all summer long, will be a little lost.

I'm one of the small percentage of parents who is excited to see the growth in my children every year - and I've never cried on the first day of school. Except my own sophomore year, when I went back with braces.

Posted by: Mindy at September 7, 2010 11:57 AM

I was just telling my husband how scary I thought it would be to take the bus to school at such a young age. He had a 45-minute ride to school on the bus all through elementary school. But he said it was no big deal.

We live across from our school, so I always walked T to school and introduced myself to her teacher on the first day. I thought kindergarten was great! After school care was half the monthly cost of preschool. Woot! You won't believe how she grows, though. T was JUST in kindergarten and now she's in middle school. It just flies.

Posted by: Brooke at September 7, 2010 12:14 PM

Oh, how I remember that feeling. Mine started her 3rd year of school a couple of weeks ago. It gets easier... but only a little.

Posted by: NG at September 7, 2010 5:12 PM

Congrats to the Bean for starting school! WooHoo!

Another milestone....

Posted by: NancyJ at September 7, 2010 5:27 PM

We did that too - it's important to get the bus riding kids on the bus the first day so they can start getting familiar with where they need to be and that whole process. We put the girls on a bus and BOLTED - my husband to see one kiddo off at one school, me with our kindergartener.

At the end of the day, the girls got off the bus holding hands and smiling.

I hope Mia's day went as well.

And yours & Beth's too.

Posted by: Sarah at September 7, 2010 6:27 PM

I'm a first grade teacher and have seen many a parent follow the bus on the first day. It's also a good way to find out just what neighborhoods the bus travels through. I remember how a kindergartener got sick at school (this was 25 years ago) and the janitor volunteered to drive him home(couldn't do that now). The janitor came back laughing. The kid led him to his house. They went around in circles for about 20 minutes before they got to the house that was a straightshot from the school. He'd led him the way the bus went! Oh yeah, I didn't cry when my son started kindergarten. I cried when he started high school! I so hope The MiaBean has a good school experience.

Posted by: rcat at September 7, 2010 9:32 PM

Yeah...I've had to do that three times...it never gets easier!

Posted by: Lujza at September 8, 2010 12:54 AM

Beth's rendition made me cry and yours made me laugh out loud. You guys are quite the pair with an incredible little girl (and apparently a very disgruntled Owen...)

Posted by: Emily at September 8, 2010 10:01 AM

Trite as it is, I really can't believe how quickly time flies!

Posted by: Heather at September 8, 2010 8:21 PM