September 29, 2010

Of Fish And Men

Yesterday morning while getting ready for school, Mia made a terrible discovery - Dorothy, her beloved goldfish of nearly two years, lying on her bedroom floor. Amazingly, Dorothy wasn't dead. Mia alerted Beth. Beth swooped in, superhero-like, and saved the day. Dorothy is back in her bowl but there's something amiss, something not quite right. We fear that Dorothy may not be long for this world. But we are hopeful. Our fingers are crossed.

In worse shape is Great Uncle Dick.

My uncle Dick is my maternal grandmother's brother. He turned 94 earlier this summer. Last month he suffered a heart attack and in the midst of making what was expected to be a full recovery, Dick's health failed again. Dick is in the ICU and isn't expected to survive for long.

Every family has a hero. Dick is ours. He was a fighter pilot turned diplomat in the European theater in World War II. He married after the war; he lost his wife last year. Dick never had children. In fact, the first baby Dick ever held was Mia. He was enamored with her and still is. The feeling is quite mutual. We are all enamored with Dick and I don't want to lose him.

Everyone has their own problems but if you have room in your routine and your thoughts, cross your fingers for Dick. And Dorothy while you're at it.

Posted by Chris at September 29, 2010 7:30 AM
Comments

Fish often can survive more than you think. I had a clown fish once which made a suicidal leap out of a bowl whilst being transported between habitats. The fish landed on a concrete floor having dropped at least 4 feet from a standing (swimming?) start. S/he had a massive split down the side running from just behind the gills to the beginning of the tail fin and I thought he probably wouldnt last more than a few minutes. I considered the old trick of immersing him in a cocktail of cold water and vodka but decided against it and returned him to his new aquarium to see what happened. I put some crystal salt into the water to give his immune system a boost and left him to it. Against all expectations, he healed and lived for a further 2 years eventually dying of old age one morning. My point is, something or someone we think might not make it often suprises us.

Posted by: ChocolateChip_Wookie at September 29, 2010 8:34 AM

It sounds like you own one of the fabled Flying Goldfish of Calcutta. They're very rare. You should be proud.

I hope uncle Dick pulls through. The world needs to hang onto folks of his generation as long as possible in order for it to continue to be a worthy place.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at September 29, 2010 8:36 AM

Sending good thoughts! The mister just got a fishtank; I'm dreading when one of them decides to make a break for it.

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 29, 2010 8:59 AM

Fingers & toes crossed for both your loved ones!

Posted by: Kris at September 29, 2010 9:28 AM

My best to your uncle.

I assumed that the fish story was going to be about your wife. Which it is, I guess, but I was surprised that it also featured an actual fish.

And my mind didn't quite make the transition to serious, non-fish things right away and I expected Great Uncle Dick to be another fish - named in a nod to Melville.

So, if your daughter has to replace Dorothy, must we call her Ish-Mia?

Posted by: lumpyheadsmom at September 29, 2010 9:51 AM

Yay for Dorothy!!! What a fighter! :-)

Keeping thoughts and prayers for your Uncle Dick. It is hard for everyone when someone passes, but even harder for the little ones.

Posted by: Krush at September 29, 2010 9:52 AM

My grandma is the same age, had an incident that she was not expected to recover from and she is doing really well. I hope the same for Uncle Dick.

Posted by: Heather at September 29, 2010 10:01 AM

Fingers crossed.

Posted by: k8 at September 29, 2010 10:15 AM

Good luck to Dorothy!

Thoughts & prayers going out to Uncle Dick. Whatever the days bring, keep focused on the good memories and positive thoughts.

Posted by: 3jaysmom at September 29, 2010 10:24 AM

There's always time to say a prayer for someone suffering. Dorothy and Uncle Dick are in mine. Hold on tight! It's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Posted by: NotAMeanGirl at September 29, 2010 10:54 AM

got your family in my thoughts...

Posted by: magnolia at September 29, 2010 11:22 AM

Thoughts and prayers are with you; I hope everything resolves itself as it should.

Posted by: metawizard at September 29, 2010 11:28 AM

hoping for the best!

Posted by: kati at September 29, 2010 11:55 AM

Will do, Cap'n.

Posted by: Jess at September 29, 2010 11:58 AM

I really hope they both pull through. My thoughts are with your family.

Incidentally, my mom had a goldfish that used to leap out of the tank every so often and it lived to be 18 years old, so don't write the fish off just yet!

Posted by: Emily at September 29, 2010 12:38 PM

Prayers for your uncle Dick and your family.

I'll cross my fingers for the fish. jopeswo... no I won't it makes typing to damn ha!

Posted by: Jeff A at September 29, 2010 1:10 PM

hard damnit hard, where the hell did my rd go?

Posted by: Jeff A at September 29, 2010 1:11 PM

Good thoughts coming from here.

Posted by: Annie at September 29, 2010 1:36 PM

Thoughts going out to Uncle Dick! And Dorothy too...

Posted by: Sue R at September 29, 2010 2:15 PM

Keeping Uncle Dick in our thoughts out West here. Stay strong Chris.

Hopefully Dorothy will be OK. I have a large aquarium, that is doing splendidly - hit me up if you ever have aquatic pet questions. :) Freshwater, at least ...

Posted by: Mark V at September 29, 2010 2:31 PM

Thought are with you. Hang on there!

Posted by: Cyndy at September 29, 2010 8:59 PM

I can't speak much towards the goldfish situation as I am apparently goldfish kryptonite, but I will keep my fingers crossed that Dorothy is still in it for the long haul.

Likewise, I will keep you and your family and Dick in my thoughts - I hope he pulls through.

Posted by: Delia at September 30, 2010 2:26 AM

Both Dick and Dorothy are in my prayers!

Posted by: Maribeth at September 30, 2010 10:30 AM