September 27, 2010

Pot, Kettle, Black

Pot?
Yes, Kettle.
You're black.
I know, smartass.

I'm a bit of a hypocrite. Last week I wrote all about over-scheduling and, therefore, stressing our kids. Most of you agreed and your comments reflected it. And then when I wrote you all back, I stressed the need for us to slow down, give ourselves and our kids a chance to breathe and avoid passing along our own stress to our kids.

Then this weekend we did the exact opposite.

We had two - count 'em, two - birthday parties on Saturday. The first was a lovely little affair with rooms full of balloons (it was kind of like a rave, without the ecstasy, glowsticks and water) and Thai food. Low key, fun people, no stress. The second was a bit more demanding, as it involved dressing up like cowboys (and cowgirls) and riding a pony. It was a hot day and the old pony wasn't too happy about it; the poor thing nearly died in our neighbor's yard (seriously) and Beth and I pondered exactly what we were going to tell the children if poor Boots dropped dead then and there. Luckily Boots pulled through though he was done taking riders for the day.

Two parties, four scoops of ice cream, two pieces of cake...and the day wasn't over.

Then my niece came for the evening. It was lovely but I'm afraid she wasn't dazzled by my kids' failing moods. We ordered Chinese food then got the kids in bed early. Or tried. As it turns out, over-tired kids are just as hard to get to sleep as under-tired kids.

We had some grand plans for Sunday - we'd planned to go to a Fall festival type thing - all of which fell through as soon as we opened our eyes in the morning and realized it was raining. Which actually turned out to be serendipitous. Instead we did a little shopping at the mall, watched a movie together then - since the weather cleared - took a bike ride and watched a baseball game at a local field. Then we made pizza and the kids went to bed. Which gave Beth and I time to drink.

Is it any wonder I'm exhausted? And need about nine cups of coffee? But what abut you? What were you guys up to?

Posted by Chris at September 27, 2010 7:05 AM
Comments

I think there are some weekends that get overscheduled through no real fault of ours - things just fall on the same day. But that's when good fortune takes over - in your case, the rain - and evens everything out in the end. It's the wise ones like us that accept it as the gift it is.
Didn't get a chance to post on the overscheduling post. But life is definitely slower in an empty nest than in one with kids!

Posted by: NancyJ at September 27, 2010 7:59 AM

I spent two glorious days in the woods in a place so remote that my phone could not find a signal, let alone enough bandwidth to do anything. So it stayed in the glove box, turned off. Meanwhile my son and myself did a 9 mile hike to the highest point in Virginia - the summit of Mount Rogers. Then we stopped at Appomattox on the way home. With the exception of having to break down camp in a downpour, it was perfect. And truth be told, even packing up camp in heavy rain wasn't that bad.

Posted by: COD at September 27, 2010 9:16 AM

I've been over scheduling myself too. And today I am totally exhausted and I am still in my jammies. Maybe I should just stay in them!

Posted by: Maribeth at September 27, 2010 9:17 AM

We had one child hair cut and one apple picking extravaganza this weekend. I am a big fan of not booking anything, but some stuff requires planning, so it gets scheduled. Now what to do with 30 lbs of apples.

Posted by: MidLifeMama at September 27, 2010 11:01 AM

We had a crazy busy Saturday too. Soccer game, grocery store, soccer game for other kid, lunch, and then downtown for ArtPrize. (http://www.artprize.org). THAT was fun - a lot of wandering around downtown for a few hours with a 5 year old and a 7 year old. They did great and laughed at a lot of the art - some was beautiful and amazing, and some just made you think - "What? Even I could do THAT!" Dinner and Ice cream followed our wandering, and then home for showers and bed. And boy, was it good to go home and get to bed!

Posted by: Kim at September 27, 2010 11:38 AM

I think we had the same pony at a party we went to a few weeks ago! :-)

Our weekend was way over scheduled too, but it's one of those things where everything seemed to fall at the same time, not a typical weekend for us. We had an event at the nature center near our house Saturday morning, then soccer and soccer pitures, followed by never ending birthday party, (we were there for 6 hours and it was still going strong when we left. This was for a 5 year old!) Then we had a carnival that evening for my friends kid's school. Of course by Sunday, the kids were a mess, and they stayed home with Daddy all day, instead of going back to the carnival. Did I mention it was 110 here on Saturday and everything was outside? Thankfully there is only one soccer game scheduled for next weekend.

Posted by: Stephanie at September 27, 2010 11:39 AM

I went to visit my 94 year-old grandma and we went shopping. She is quite something!
I visited my parents and my boyfriend's mom and we were well fed everywhere.
Then we tried to somewhat empty my boyfriend's storage locker in favour of the continuing merger. Much frustration ensued as we failed at moving his couch into my basement. Now there are 2 couches, a love seat and an arm chair in my living room. Crazy! We don't know what to do. Oh well, bigger and more pressing problems have been solved, this is far from a crisis.

Posted by: Heather at September 27, 2010 1:02 PM

We were so overscheduled this weekend - I fell into bed last night at 8 in total exhaustion.

Posted by: Mindy at September 27, 2010 1:43 PM

This weekend wasn't so bad - just one 2 - 4 hour activity per kid Sunday after church. Different directions, but at least one was able to bum a ride to & fro.

Next weekend? Now that one will suck: Boy has playdate Fri afternoon. Girl leaves on a girl scout overnight (until Sat early evening). I have to help unload the food bank truck Friday afternoon and spend the evening packing bags of food. Boy then leaves at the crack o' dawn for a cub scout sailing trip in Baltimore Saturday (gets back about the same time as the girl), while I spend the day distributing the food bank food. Sunday is church (both kids acolyte, while hubby runs the sound board), followed by ANOTHER all afternoon girl scout event, while the boy attends a LEGO League team meeting. Thank goodness I forgot to sign them up for sports!

Posted by: Kate M at September 27, 2010 2:10 PM

I kind of forget what I did on Saturday, now, but I know it was fairly busy, and then Sunday was church and then moving my Mum in to this tri-generational mashup thing we have going on now at my grandparents' house ;0)

Posted by: Heather at September 27, 2010 2:39 PM

Saturday: I do all our housework for the week between 9-noon in the morning. That way, nobody has to think about it at any other time in the week. And my husband doesn't have to think about it at all -- lucky guy, but he earns the dough so he deserves to be spared the details of folding laundry. So anyway, after my daughter's nap, we went to a friend's for a barbecue.

Sunday: Make no plans for Sunday, that's my motto (I believe it's also a capital C Commandment, if you're into that sort of thing). We hung out, made a couch obstacle course, walked to the farmer's market and back, cooked a big meal, watched a little football.

Posted by: Laura Gato at September 27, 2010 4:08 PM

I spent 8 hours Saturday walking around Grand Rapids with my kids, my mom and my sis checking out ArtPrize (an art contest in its second year now - artprize.org) -- phenomenal. Even though it was cold it was cool to meet artists, see the various works in assorted media, and talk to my kids about the pieces they liked and didn't like...and why.

We were all tuckered out by the end of the day and the kids slept like rocks (me too), but it's been so awesome. We went back to look at more art on Sunday, also. I can't help it. It's one of the coolest things about Grand Rapids.

Posted by: Sarah at September 27, 2010 9:06 PM