September 6, 2010

The End of Summer

I'll admit to being a little sad today. Melancholy might be a better word.

Like holidays - especially the magical ones like Christmas and Easter - the greatness of summer is something that gets away from you when you're no longer a kid. But when you have kids, that awesomeness comes rushing back, accompanied by all the signature summer stuff - the sound of lawnmowers and smell of cut grass, the heat, the beach, the smell of sunscreen. The reason I'm so melancholy is the fact that when the sun goes down today, summer is unofficially over. It was a great summer. And an important summer.

I was looking at pictures of Owen I snapped at the beginning of the summer. Its amazing to me how much he's grown over the past four months. He's gone from looking like a toddler to a little boy, gone from babbling to speaking in fully formed sentences. The transformation is amazing. Mia's transformation, though, is truly staggering. While she was never what you'd call timid, Mia became this outgoing, engaging, fun-loving and independent kid. We have swim team to thank for that. The confidence it instilled in her was amazing.

There are a lot of things about this summer that I'm going to look back fondly upon, a lot of memories that were created and a lot of milestones that took place. Tomorrow the world goes back to normal. Mia goes to school, I go back to work, traffic gets bad, and Owen realizes what a day without his sister is like. I am really and truly going to miss it.

Looking back, how were your summers? What milestones did you see come and go?

Posted by Chris at September 6, 2010 7:01 AM
Comments

Summer 2010 was GREAT!
We spent every weekend since mid-April at our cottage in a lake community. We made great friends, our son spent more weekends than in the past, we had impromptu dinners on porches and an overall great time. Absolutely fantastic weather was a bonus!
We saw our son move away from home (20 minutes away) on his 20th birthday which was bittersweet but that's what parents do right - prepare our kids for their future.

Posted by: NancyJ at September 6, 2010 8:11 AM

Summer was tough this year. But I found through great sadness came my ability to hang on. What's that saying? ♥ YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE.....♥

Posted by: Maribeth at September 6, 2010 10:14 AM

It was a great summer but it seemed very short especially since mid-August we sent our oldest off to college in another state. It was definitely one of the hardest things I've ever done although I know it will be an awesome experience for her.

Posted by: Carolyn at September 6, 2010 11:18 AM

I was just posting about this exact thing, almost to the letter. Crazy. My son was barely walking at the beginning of the summer, and now he's chasing us around the house.

What a great summer.

Posted by: Caleb Gardner at September 6, 2010 3:40 PM

I hope Mia has a great first day of school!

Posted by: Heather at September 7, 2010 12:32 AM

My son is Owen's age, mostly, and he has come miles in terms of temperament and communication in the last three months. He fusses so much less and tells us what's in his head all the time. Yesterday's favorite:

D: 'Cuse me.
Me: zzzzzz
D: Out. Of my way!

Heh. Also, my daughter went from being a grade schooler to a middle schooler, and the transformation wrought in her over the summer to a slightly dramatic but ready for the world tween has been fun to witness.

Posted by: Brooke at September 7, 2010 12:09 PM