September 8, 2010

The First Day (In Pictures)

The first day of school came and went. And it was a success. A SUCCESS! Beth and I agonized over this. Absolutely agonized. But Mia astounded us with her determination and enthusiasm. At the end of the day, she's the only one who hadn't ended up in tears. Here's how it played out.

Mia humored me and posed for the Obligatory First Day of School pictures. DSC_7317_cpy%20sm.jpg

Another one because she's pretty.
DSC_7319_cpy%20sm.jpg

Backpack on and lunchbox in hand, Mia was aching to head out the door and hit the bus stop...even though it was 20 minutes before she needed to be there.
DSC_7329%20copy_sm.jpg

And she nearly took off without us.
DSC_7337cpy_sm.jpg

Owen wasn't quite as enthusiastic.
DSC_7330_cpy_sm.jpg

We posed for some bus stop pictures...
parents.jpg

...then the great big mean bus came and took our baby away.
DSC_7349%20cpy_sm.jpg"

Eight hours later - eight agonizing hours - it brought her back. She emerged smiling, laughing, reporting on her fabulous day at school.
DSC_7358_cpy%20sm.jpg

And then she did my hair.
DSC_7365_cpy_sm.jpg

All-in-all, it was a fantastic day. Sure, Beth and I ended up crying our eyes out and threatening to start drinking at 10:00 AM but once again we underestimated the awesomeness that is Mia. And there's pretty much no way in which Mia does not kick ass.

Posted by Chris at September 8, 2010 6:54 AM
Comments

Awesome pictures! Great hairdo Chris! Poor Owen - but soon he will love the undivided attention...

Posted by: NancyJ at September 8, 2010 7:33 AM

Oh my goodness, look at all that cuteness! I'm talking about Mia, Chris, not you! lol!
I remember when she wasn't all that happy about going to pre-school. Now here she is, a grown girl and marching off to school with a smile and determination! Just remember that there will be days you'll have to encourage her to go to school, and wipe the tears away. Oh that it was always as easy as their first day!
You and Beth have a fabulous daughter! Oh yes, and hugs to Owen. I know he is missing his sister and playmate.

Posted by: Maribeth at September 8, 2010 8:22 AM

Congratulations. What a right of passage! My girl is in 1st grade this year but it's still a daily "woah" moment when she throws a wave over her head and hops up on that bus like she owns the thing.

Posted by: Brad at September 8, 2010 9:20 AM

Congratulations to Mia! I'd like to tell you that it gets better but just wait until you watch your youngest head off on that big yellow bus. Ouch!

Posted by: Wackado at September 8, 2010 9:37 AM

Yay! I had a feeling she'd love it.

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 8, 2010 9:42 AM

She is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! But I'm sure you and Mrs. Cactus hear that all the time! Congrats for making it through the day :)

Posted by: Jenn at September 8, 2010 10:56 AM

I'm glad it all went so well for Mia. Most of us remember our kids crying, I'm glad Mia was loving it and ready to go. Poor Owen and it will get easier for you and Beth. I cringe every year and Harley is in 9th Grade.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at September 8, 2010 11:37 AM

Awesome photos, and love the hairdo ;-) So glad that Mia enjoyed her first day of school - and well done to you and Beth as well for surviving it :-)

Posted by: Delia at September 8, 2010 11:58 AM

She is beautiful!!! I am so glad she had a good first day. I hope it continues. My brother, who is 18 months older, put up such a fuss about having to go to school, when I didn't have to, that I ended up going to Kindergarten twice...I was too young for the first one to count, but it was the only way he would go.

I am so happy for all of you that Mia liked school!! You certainly have an incredible little lady there.

Posted by: Krush at September 8, 2010 12:42 PM

My son is a little cranky that the big kids take off for school before he does. He misses them.

Don't stop taking the first-day photos. I have all of T's (on FB, if you're interested) and it's awesome to see how she's grown!

Posted by: Brooke at September 8, 2010 12:43 PM

It is SO hard to believe that she's not a baby anymore. Mia is most definitely a beautiful little girl, and heading directly to growing up. (Can someone make the years stop!) I remember how happy I was for the two of you when you posted your 'first' picture of Mia (both of you with binkies) and watching her grow over the years. Wow, time for Kindergarten already!

Glad she enjoyed her first day - and glad that Mom and Dad CactusFish made it through the day intact. Now, get Mr. Owen ready for pants, and all will be well!

Continued congratulations for an amazing family.

Posted by: Kellie at September 8, 2010 2:08 PM

HAPPY FIRST DAY!!!

Posted by: sarah at September 8, 2010 2:35 PM

She sure is amazing! and beautiful! Love the do, it's definitely you ;)

Posted by: Kris at September 8, 2010 5:01 PM

I assume the beer bottle in the background on the kitchen counter is just to reassure everyone that despite your becoming new hairdo, you're still a "manly man"? (as they used to say in some stupid commercial)

Posted by: JW at September 8, 2010 6:32 PM

Of COURSE she kicks ass - it's a genetic inevitability. I'm glad y'all got through your first day, although I'm amazed that you guys have full day kindergarten. I remember the big joy of first grade was that I got to go to school ALL DAY. Now what will she have to look forward to next year?

Posted by: Dawn at September 8, 2010 8:43 PM

There must have been some sort of time warp ;) Congrats on your beautiful Kindergarten girl! I know it must have been nerve-wracking, and I'm so glad it went well. :)

Posted by: Heather at September 9, 2010 12:40 AM

Yup, she kicks ass.

Posted by: Heather at September 9, 2010 12:48 PM

I'm glad Mia had an awesome first day of school. Love the pics, but the one of Owen is just heartbreaking! Bless his heart!

Posted by: mmpotter at September 9, 2010 9:50 PM

please tell your bean that i think she looks like ariel in that third picture (the one in the kitchen).

Posted by: RzDrms at September 9, 2010 11:15 PM