September 9, 2010

The Trouble With Hairy

Over this long weekend - made longer because I worked from home Thursday, Friday and Tuesday - I had a chance to let myself become reasonably unkempt. Now, I'm not talking smelly unkempt, just a little disheveled. I wore old comfortable clothes, threw on a hat most days, put on beat up sneakers but only when I had to...and forgot to shave. When I don't shave, I'm immediately reminded of a couple things:

- I am reaching middle age (but I'm hopefully not there already). While about 20% of the hair on my head is gray, about 80% of the hair on my face is gray when it grows in.

- I can't pull off the whole mustache and beard thing. I look like that guy in high school who tried to grow a mustache so he'd look cool driving around in his Dodge Dart and failed miserably (growing the mustache and looking cool).

During this dishevelment I lamented these things while watching something with Beth and pointing out my fond desire to attain this ability.

Me: See, I wish I could grow that kind of mustache.
Beth: No you don't.
Me: No, I really do.
Beth: No. Because if you could I'd never have married you.
Me: Wow. You have strong feelings about my ability to grow facial hair.
Beth: I just don't like hairy guys.
Me: Me either. Um. I don't like men. Not like that. But I mean, I wouldn't want to be a hairy guy. So forget that mustache thing. Stupid hair.

wicketstache.jpg

Maybe she's right.

Posted by Chris at September 9, 2010 6:53 AM
Comments

I think it makes you look rakish, but you'll have to do something about that receeding hairline.....

Posted by: ChocolateChipWookie at September 9, 2010 7:01 AM

After all these years, haven't you learned? Beth is always right! lol!

Posted by: Maribeth at September 9, 2010 7:18 AM

Ha, the mister and I have had the same conversation about facial hair -- his comes in veryvery slowly if he doesn't shave, and while he's anxiously waiting for some kind of Burt Reynolds shit to happen on his face, I'm all, SHAVE. PLEASE. Some men do look better with facial hair (if they have a weak chin, for example), but for the most part I don't care for it at all.

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 9, 2010 9:20 AM

heh you look very villain-y in that pic!

My dh tends to look like a hobo w/ facial hair so I force him to shave.

Posted by: Kris at September 9, 2010 9:35 AM

My beard grows in gray too, but I have a just a few grays on top of my head. It's hidden much better in blond hair though. Maybe you could ask Beth what she thinks about your dyeing your hair.

Posted by: Darren at September 9, 2010 10:06 AM

I can't stand facial hair on my guy. Nuh-uh. I don't want to kiss that face nor...well, anyway.

My last year of college I met my ex-husband. Over the summer we both spent time overseas, he in Switzerland, I in Russia. Upon my return from Russia, he met me at the airport. All the way over in the plane I was like, Woohoo I get to see my man! And I jogged down the jetway and into the terminal...and looked around...and this lumberjack came out of the bathroom...and it was him. He'd been growing his beard for like, three months. I was SO bummed.

He shaved it that night. Heh. Turns out it wasn't really the facial hair that was the problem, but I still don't like it.

Cheers.

Posted by: Brooke at September 9, 2010 11:48 AM

My love has facial hair like no other man I know. He can shave his face clean Monday morning, and by Monday at 10:00 a.m., look like he didn't shave at all that morning. And 3 days of no shaving, I have myself a Norwegian mountain man. I'm thankful he keeps it shaved nice almost all of the time, and when he doesn't - it matches perfectly with the jeans, flannel and hiking boots. Never imagined myself with a hairy man - now - can't imagine myself with anyone else. It's funny how love will do that to you.

Posted by: Mindy at September 9, 2010 12:35 PM

My brother actually HAS that mustache. And his head is completely shaved. And he's somehow the kind of person who can actually pull that look off.

Posted by: Becky at September 9, 2010 3:07 PM

My first impression when I saw the photo was that it makes you look like a cross between a musketeer and an evil villain plotting some nefarious scheme ;-)

I am not that keen on hairy guys (at least not the 'walking rug' variety) and I wasn't keen on facial hair either before I met hubby. Then I had to learn to like facial hair. When I first met him he was clean shaven, but I soon learned that did not shave on the weekends. He is able to grow a full on mustache and beard in that short time frame. Add to that the fact that he has a head of very thick, fast growing, unruly hair (think natural bed head without any styling required) and we can go from clean shaven to 'caveman' in a very short space of time. ;-) But I kind of like it now.

Posted by: Delia at September 9, 2010 4:48 PM

Haha I'm with Beth.

Posted by: Heather at September 9, 2010 5:29 PM

Hahaa! you look like Snidely Whiplash!

I prefer my husband clean shaven. Occasionally he grows a mustache but he looks mean with it! He looks like Ed Harris without it :-)

Posted by: NancyJ at September 9, 2010 8:11 PM

Hahaha! Okay, it's funny enough that she might've married you, but I don't think Mia and Owen would have ever been created. Honestly, can you engage in babymaking when you have facial hair like that? I'd be laughing to hard to start.

Posted by: Shannon at September 9, 2010 10:32 PM

Do you know Brian Shaler? And also Movember?

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at September 14, 2010 2:22 AM

J'ai pensé qu'il allait y avoir une certaine message ennuyeux, mais c'est vraiment compensé pour mon temps. Je vais poster un lien vers cette page sur mon blog. Je suis sûr que mes visiteurs trouveront que très utile

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 3:22 AM

J'étais juste parcourant des articles du blog lié à mon projet de recherche et je suis tombé à la vôtre découvrir. Merci pour l'excellente information!

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 3:57 AM