September 17, 2010

The Weeklies #148

The Weekly Fashion Statement. Lady Gaga wore a dress made out of meat to the VMAs. Seriously, a meat dress?

The Weekly Time Waster. Hardball Frenzy 2.

The Weekly Television Awesomeness. Survivor is back (yeah, I'm addicted) and the fact that Jimmy Johnson is a contestant for absolutely no reason beyond the fact that he's a fan is inspired.

The Weekly Read. This week's read was a little strange for me since I rarely read non-fiction and I'm not all that into books about transportation. I read Matt Dellinger's Interstate 69: The Unfinished History of The Last Great American Highway. Admittedly it doesn't sound scintillating but it was actually quite interesting. I-69 is - or may one day be - a highway that stretches from Mexico to Canada, traveling through some of the most ignored places in the country. The book traces the development of the highway and the many hurdles that have stopped much of its progress to date. I know...it still doesn't sound all that interesting. But it really was and well worth checking out.

The Weekly Music. On a whim I picked up The Hour Is Upon Us by the unknown band The Hour of the Shipwreck while browsing online. The reviews were extremely positive and it was $6. Why not? This was quite a happy accident. Cross Pink Floyd with [INSERT YOUR FAVORITE EMO BAND HERE] and you've got these guys. It's a little bit prog and a little bit indie, with lush, layered arrangements, strong vocals and superb musicianship. It's a nice surprise to find music this good so randomly.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. You need only to listen once to this to understand the greatest orchestra fail in history.

The Weekly Question. Bonus points and maybe a mystery gift to the person who most accurately translates this, the latest missive from Mia.

miasnote.jpg

Posted by Chris at September 17, 2010 7:46 AM
Comments

"I would like to give roses...something...roses.
I love roses."
She is such a girl and so beautiful. You should buy her a rose bush and teach her how to take care of it so she can give roses to whomever she deems worthy!!

Posted by: Becki at September 17, 2010 7:57 AM

"I would like to give roses to my teacher and roses to you. I love roses."

I like the rose bush idea above!

Posted by: Teresa at September 17, 2010 8:33 AM

I agree with Becki and Teresa, that's what Mia's note says. And I also LOVE the rosebush idea.

Posted by: dawn at September 17, 2010 9:09 AM

I'm curious - did the meat dress offend you? I know Ellen interviewed GaGa afterwards for her show, and says as a vegan, she was very offended and found it difficult to be near her for the interview.

Me? I just find it extremely unsanitary. lol

Others already figured out the roses missive. Mia is a such a sweet girl. Glad she is loving school!

A mini rose plant might be a nice addition to her room so she can always have little roses to look at!

Posted by: Traci at September 17, 2010 9:20 AM

Damn, I had the whole note except the teacher part. So close.

Posted by: Julie at September 17, 2010 10:47 AM

She loves roses. Duh.

Posted by: k8 at September 17, 2010 10:47 AM

We all know that it wasn't fresh meat right? It had been cured in some manner (that's from my niece who is an agricultural and food science smarty pants major).

I got the "I would like to give roses to my teacher" part but not the "roses to you" part. I guess it's that reading the first and last letter of the word thing. Or we're just really good at interpreting children!

Not sure how I feel about Jimmy Johnson on Survivor. There was just too much of him on the first episode for me to be indifferent that he was there. Sort of how I felt about seeing Russell Hantz a second time. I'm calling Shannon and Naonka to be the male and female a*** of the season.

Posted by: NancyJ at September 17, 2010 10:55 AM

I was kinda meh about the meat dress - it's been done already in my fair city.

Posted by: meanie at September 17, 2010 12:12 PM

Survivor is my guilty pleasure. I don't watch every season but I liked this one and will continue watching. I think Jimmy Johnson is very likable and not pretentious!

Posted by: Winna at September 17, 2010 1:06 PM

"I would love to give roses to MEEETHEEEERRR"

"I love roses"

Pretty simple really :)

Posted by: Procrastamom at September 17, 2010 2:39 PM

I would like to give roses, Mother's roses. I love Roses.

Posted by: Brad at September 17, 2010 5:51 PM

'I would love to give roses to my true love's kiss. I love roses.' Or something to that extent.

Sounds like someone has been watching some Disney? ;)

Posted by: Christina at September 17, 2010 8:41 PM

that orchestra fail makes me happy :)

Posted by: kati at September 17, 2010 8:52 PM

"I would love to give roses to my teacher and roses to you. I love roses."

Play her Book of Love's "I Touch Roses." That song makes me indescribably happy whenever I hear it. Makes me want to twirl.

Posted by: RzDrms at September 18, 2010 10:02 AM

It seems that Mia would like to give roses to someone and/or herself. Can't say that I blame her. Roses are great. They're also red, sometimes. And violets are blue. It looked like a monster clown. But it was just you.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at September 18, 2010 10:20 AM

Obviously she loves Roz from Night Court. Marsha Warfield is quite influential.

Posted by: Rougeneck at September 18, 2010 8:51 PM

Not even all that original, there was furor here over a meat dress many many moons ago. http://www.snopes.com/politics/arts/meatdress.asp

Posted by: Nat at September 18, 2010 11:07 PM

Shoot! I was already to boast about my abilities as an elementary school teacher to decifer words, but it turns out my abilities are average.

The meat dress was gross.

Don't be a hater of the 6th grade band. We all have to start somewhere. I'm just hoping that was indeed 6th grade.

Posted by: heather at September 19, 2010 2:12 AM

Don't you understand that it's correct time to receive the home loans, which would realize your dreams.

Posted by: PATEL33HERMINIA at August 11, 2011 11:33 PM