September 24, 2010

The Weeklies #149

The Weekly War Cry. Snot Is Sexy!

The Weekly Beer. Flying Dog's Raging Bitch.

The Weekly Time Waster. Deeplight Expedition!

The Weekly Read. I picked up Gabe Rotter's The Human Bobby on a whim. I liked the cover (I know, you can't judge a book...) and thought the premise sounded interesting. I can tell you virtually nothing about the book without revealing something that would invariably spoil the end. So I won't. I'll just tell you that I loved the book and won't soon forget it. Or read anything nearly as compelling.

The Weekly Music. The bane of my existence this week? Tracy Chapman. I've had Fast Car - Fast Fucking Car - running through my head the entire week.

The Weekly Insect. Stink bugs. They're everywhere.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. I know that I shouldn't be amused by the fact that Lindsay Lohan failed a drug test and, as a result, could be headed back to jail. I'd like to think I'm a better person than that. I'm not.

The Weekly Question. If there was a fire in your house, aside from loved ones, what one thing would you most try and save?

Posted by Chris at September 24, 2010 7:44 AM
Comments

As far as Lindsey Lohan goes- I blame the judge, doctors, social workers, lawyers and everyone else who catered to her movie star (?) status and continually reduced her prison and rehab time. She is too young and too sick to be held accountable. They all failed her miserably by not taking her best interests into account. She needs help or shes going to wind up dead real soon. She needs some tough love!

Fire is my greatest fear! Ack! Thinking about it makes me feel queasy! After my family and pets I would grab my laptop and start tossing my books out the window.

Posted by: Lisa at September 24, 2010 7:49 AM

OMG I hate that song! It gets stuck in your head and never leaves.

I wish the stinkbugs would disappear. They are terrible and they are everywhere!

The first thing I would grab after making sure Don and Soxy were safe would be my laptop and my collection of family rosaries. (I have a set of rosaries from most of my relatives that have passed, leaving me with something to.hold when I need to feel them close to me.)

Posted by: Krush at September 24, 2010 8:00 AM

Is it bad that I can't think of anything I'd save since you stipulated that my loved ones were safe? Maybe my iPad, I like that a lot.

As far as songs go, I'll trade Tracy Chapman for "Baby Kangaroo"...they bounce and bounce and bounce and bounce....

Posted by: Elizabeth at September 24, 2010 8:58 AM

After pets and people, I'd probably grab photos. Maybe the computer if I had time -- I haven't backed anything up!

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 24, 2010 9:00 AM

Computer, architectural drawings my grandfather did to build his house. (You have no idea how much begging I had to do of my grandmother to get those.)

Posted by: alektra at September 24, 2010 9:05 AM

My identity. So, my purse and/or the container of my papers that prove who I am.

Almost all my photos I care about are up on flickr. :)

But, honestly, I was consumed by smoke a few weeks back by something as innocently small as a bag of microwave popcorn I stuck in my trash when I burned it and learned that I will really have NO time to get ANYTHING if the apartment is on fire. It's no joke when the is raging.

Posted by: Poppy at September 24, 2010 9:39 AM

Q. If there was a fire in your house, aside from loved ones, what one thing would you most try and save?

A. My house! :)

Posted by: Kristy at September 24, 2010 9:52 AM

Lindsay needs to be locked up for a long, long time. It's the only way she'll get better. Addiction doesn't give credit to rock star status. She'll be dead soon.

I hope my cats count as loved ones. Other than that, I think I'd take my laptop.

Posted by: k8 at September 24, 2010 10:12 AM

Um the fire. You know the fires in Manassas? Saw them with my very own eyes, and have some amazing video/pictures on my phone to go with them. I am just mad I didn't grab my Nikon before running out the door to fire chase. What was I thinking?!! They are much better than what you saw on the news. And I would probably take the fire safe (I still don't trust that it won't burn to a crisp in a house fire) and my computer - it has all the pictures!

Posted by: punkinnoodle at September 24, 2010 11:03 AM

I like "Fast Car". I'm not sure why but I like the groove.

I'm pretty sure I'm a better person than Lindsay Lohan. Just sayin'.

After my loved ones, I'd save my journals from a fire. Many of them are backed up on my laptop, which is backed up on an external drive at work, but some aren't yet. They are in a trunk next to my bed for easy grab and go.

Posted by: Brooke at September 24, 2010 11:32 AM

at least they're not bed bugs! ugh! bed bugs are the new swine flu :)

and at least it wasn't the hot dog song from mickey mouse club house stuck in your head because that's been my devil earworm all week.

and i would save my external hard drives full of pictures. honestly, there are so many special things around the house that this question makes me upset! knock on wood :)

Posted by: kati at September 24, 2010 11:39 AM

LOL @ the Schadenfreude comment. Lindsay Lohan is such a mess. So is Paris Hilton frankly.

I sometimes ponder about what is my single most prized possession, that I would elect to save in the event of a fire.

I am often derailed by the practical aspects of this hypothetical; the stuff I would like to save is all upstairs in one room, like my cameras, computer, and photos (like, printed photos like we used to do :) ). So in one sense I fail at this exercise, because I would grab armfuls of stuff from this room and have many things out all in one shot.

But, I suppose if I were to grab one thing, it would be the computer because there is so much data on it - mostly family photos but also music.

Posted by: Mark V at September 24, 2010 11:58 AM

Ep - Lindsay's back off to jail as I type this. I think the girl needs a long stint in there. And a mother to slap her right across the face and say "Girl, what in the HELL do you think you are doing?"

I would save two quilts that made there way to America in the arms of my great grandmother in the cargo hold of a boat from Wales.

Posted by: Mindy at September 24, 2010 12:45 PM

My computer, on which every digital photo I've ever taken is stored. Must look into online backup.

Posted by: Amy at September 24, 2010 1:02 PM

After the cat... the computer(s). I have online backup but the hassle of restoring things while getting my house back together would be super depressing. My EVO phone would be a close second.

Posted by: Brad at September 24, 2010 1:53 PM

Since I live alone can I grab two things? My photo negative files and my external drives so I have all my pictures. Everything else can be replaced.

Posted by: Foggy Dew at September 24, 2010 4:05 PM

Do we count the cat as a loved one? sometimes I like him more than anyone else in my house... so if we count him and I can take a 'thing' it's hands down my external harddrive with all the pics of my kids. Is it wrong that so many of us are grabbing electronics on the way out of a burning building?

Posted by: jeanne at September 24, 2010 6:13 PM

That no-brainer took me 1.3 seconds to answer: My photo albums of my 2 kids growing up. (They're now 28 and 30, and boy am I crazy about them both.)

Posted by: JW at September 24, 2010 6:37 PM

I would try to save the computer, which is the equivalent of a photo album. I would also try to be wearing something, as I would probably be wearing it for a while.

Posted by: Heather at September 24, 2010 7:44 PM

We have tons of stink bugs too! What's up with that??

Posted by: margo at September 24, 2010 8:21 PM

I love that song! Down with the haters!
Other than saving... yeah, my house... I'd probably try to save the computer. Oops- that counts as a loved one. So purse, and cell phone.

Posted by: Shannon at September 24, 2010 9:40 PM

weekly question, I don't know for sure but I do know it wouldn't be the damn cat.

Posted by: Jeff A at September 25, 2010 12:09 AM

I can't feel bad for LL. It's not like she's some young kid who messed up for the 1st time.... She's had warning after warning... She gets EVERYTHING they throw at her. She had her chance, she's old enough to know what she's doing is illegal - time to do the time....

As far as a fire... I think I'd go after my jewelry, a box I have with my Grandmother's prayer books, and a few things out of my safe. After Bella is safe of course ;)

Posted by: Rose @Dozenroses13 at September 25, 2010 1:03 AM

For the next time you get a song stuck in your head: http://unhearit.com/

Posted by: jessica fantastica at September 25, 2010 5:04 AM

I would grab my dad's ashes, and my laptop. And my phone!

Posted by: jen at September 25, 2010 8:01 AM

I would definitely grab my photo albums. Ones from before the digital times, can't replace those photos.

Posted by: Adi at September 25, 2010 11:36 AM

Do the cats count as loved ones? Because they'd come right after my husband. Other than that, honestly, I can't think of anything so important that I would risk my life for. It can all be replaced.

Posted by: Angela at September 25, 2010 4:25 PM

I would save my CD Single of Fast Car of course...
I remember we were driving driving in your car
Speed so fast I felt like I was drunk
City lights lay out before us
And your arm felt nice wrapped round my shoulder

Posted by: Dee at September 25, 2010 10:32 PM

i've had fun catching up on the happenings in Cactusville. thanks for passing Fast Car along. during the chorus repeats in my head, i'll be considering how to exact bad song revenge on you.
as to the fire question, two words: photo albums. i've had that planned out for years. humans and photo albums will be getting out alive.

Posted by: Nichole at September 26, 2010 11:58 PM

Oye with the stink bugs already! It seems like all of us in VA have been invaded. I had one land on my last night as I was reading to Sam. Which kind of kills the peaceful bedtime reading mood.
In case of fire? I'd want all my photos, but there is no way. I was laso raised by a fireman so I know you can't go running back into a burning house. I guess my next grab would be the garden hose.

Posted by: Annie at September 27, 2010 3:23 PM

I had a desire to begin my firm, however I did not have got enough amount of money to do it. Thank heaven my close colleague said to use the mortgage loans. Thus I took the credit loan and made real my old dream.

Posted by: JeanineCortez23 at June 5, 2011 1:36 PM