September 16, 2010

A Tale of Two Talkers

If you've been paying attention you'll remember that I got promoted a few months ago. Since that happened my calendar runneth over and everyone who works within a five mile radius likes to stop by my office and shoot the proverbial shit. Which is cool - at least the dropping by thing. I could do without the packed calendar. But I find myself either talking or listening for nine or ten hours straight. And that's a lot of communicating.

When I get home it gets worse.

See, my kids are talkers. And they don't take turns. Instead, from the moment I get home, they talk at the same time, imparting all the awesomeness they picked up that day augmented with kid-wisdom and bizarre observations.

Here's what I get in my right air from Mia:
School was great today. I rode the bus and sat next to Maya who has a name that sounds just like mine only its spelled differently and the bus was bouncy and fun but then we got to school and had to get off. When I got to my classroom my teacher was there. She's nice. You know that haircut you got is perfectly appropriate for someone your age like mine is appropriate for a little girl like me so you can't grow yours long and brown event though yours can't be brown because its gray so I guess we don't have to worry about that. Do you want to play a game? How about Barbie and the Magic Pegasus? Or Scooby Doo. You can be Freddie and I'll be Daphne. And you can also be the bad guy who has to trap me 27 times before Scooby - that's Owen - and Freddie save me. Why does Freddie wear that thing around his neck? That apricot? Oh look, a butterfly on that flower. I like chocolate. Gorillas are fun. I'd like a pet gorilla.

And here's what's coming in my left from Owen:
We went to the playground. The robot playground. Not dinosaur playground. Not yellow playground. Robot playground. I played with a kid there. Then I pushed him. My saw a cat. And then I wanted ice cream but mommy said no ice cream Owen because it was morning and before lunch. Do you like beer? I love you daddy. Mia goes to school. On the bus. My miss Mia.

Its a lot, sure, but its awesome. And if gets to be too much, they eventually go to bed and I drink beer. And this morning I found both of them in bed with me, cuddling, one on either side while the cool morning breeze forced us under the blankets. Sure, they were both still talking, about radically different things, but it was 137 kinds of great.

How, where and when do you find peace throughout the day?

Posted by Chris at September 16, 2010 7:45 AM
Comments

My kids do that, too. When my husband comes home, I usually find myself trying to follow conversations about what those stupid Republicans did today, how MacKenzie was mean to Sydney at recess, whose turn it is to do Webkinz next, and whether I actually meant it that you have to at least try the zucchini all at the same time.

Also, Mia's name is pronounced like "Maya"? All this time I've been reading it as "Mee-ah." I'm shaken.

Posted by: Julie at September 16, 2010 8:26 AM

Talk about communication overload!
I work nights, so when I get home in the morning everyone is too groggy to talk. Then they're off to school. That's when I get to peace outwhich is nice sine I spend all night talking and listening and trying to figure out what the hell the people from Istanbul are trying to say.

Posted by: Nila at September 16, 2010 8:33 AM

Wow, that was a lot of typos. Sleep deprivation at its best.

Posted by: Nila at September 16, 2010 8:35 AM

OK- I'm joining the Me-A camp. (shaking head, sorry!) I have a child that is a talker. My thoughts on that? God Bless school teachers. Seriously. My house is quiet now. I am listening to the washer. That rocks. When I get to work? Not so quiet. I'm a lunch lady. (glutton for punishment?)

Posted by: Christy at September 16, 2010 8:38 AM

Add me to those who have been mentally mispronouncing Mia for years! Whoops...

Peace and quiet? That's a toughy. I guess the time I spend reading at night before going to sleep. Otherwise I have my two chatterboxes talking to me or the cat fussing that I've been gone all day and when does she get attention or hubby telling me the same story for the 1000th time (love him though)!

Posted by: Elizabeth at September 16, 2010 9:22 AM

Um, ditto on the Mia pronunciation.
I find peace in a few spaces of my day… when I'm sitting in the back seat of the car with my son waiting for daycare to open each morning, listening to the radio and watching him smile…when I get to the gym an hour later and I'm sweating out my frustration…and when I walk in the door at the end of my day and am bowled over by my dog and greeted by the squeals and waving of my son again…
interesting when you discover that peace doesn't always equal quiet.

Posted by: Beth at September 16, 2010 9:47 AM

I hear you on the meetings and people stopping by all the time at work thing. I just got a promotion last month and that seems to be my life now. Luckily I only have one talker at home right now that demands my attention. However, this post really made me look even more forward to when our second one arrives in December. Kids and their cuteness are the best remedy for a long work day.

I find my peacefulness on my lunch break (when I get one). I go grab something and sit by myself and read a book. It's fantastic!

Posted by: Jessie at September 16, 2010 9:56 AM

I love this post. It's one of my favorites.

Posted by: k8 at September 16, 2010 10:32 AM

Now that I have an enclosed office, I find peace when I close that f*cking door. Muwahahahhaha!

Posted by: oakley at September 16, 2010 11:39 AM

Peace? What is the meaning of that word?

The boys in my house are the talkers, go figure. Big D is 13 and he never. shuts. up. He talks about everything. Last night it was whether Paul McCartney is dead, is Jesse McCartney his son? What happened to the dead Beatles? How old were they? Why would someone shoot John Lennon? All the while he has his iPod on listening to Rush's YYZ and talking louder than he needs to because he doesn't understand that just because he can't hear himself, doesn't mean I can't hear him. But I like that he talks, because he's 13 and it's good that he says anything at all. So even though it drives me batshit, I try to listen and respond because I want the kids to talk to us about what's going on in their heads.

Little D wanted to talk about the boat. Yesterday I fished out of T's old toys a Little People Noah's Ark, complete with Noah (missing), Mrs. Noah, and pairs of animals.

"It's my boat. Look at my boat mommy. Where's more animals? I don' know." [shrugs]

Sometimes Little D says "my" instead of "I", like Owen. The other day he was up the street a little on his Big Wheel and he shouted "Here my comes, Mommy!" Too cute to correct.

Posted by: Brooke at September 16, 2010 11:47 AM

Add me to the number who was pronouncing your daughter's name wrong.

I find peace by closing the books, turning off the computer, and sitting on the floor quietly petting Soxy, my dog.

Posted by: Krush at September 16, 2010 12:06 PM

Mornings. Harley is in high school now and leaves early. Hubby drops him off on way to work. I putter around and have lazy mornings with my dog. No noise. Harley and I are big talkers. My hubby usually gets a half an hour of peace when he gets home. We try to leave him decompress from work before we start gabbing.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at September 16, 2010 1:33 PM

I am also rather shaken about the mee-ah vs. my-ah thing! It's always definitely been the former in my head :)

Posted by: Heather at September 16, 2010 4:32 PM

awesome. i know my husband can totally relate. and i am shaken, too: it's not "Meeya"? it's not "meeyabeen"?! how could this go on for so long with none of us understanding? i feel like i hardly know you.

Posted by: kati at September 16, 2010 5:04 PM

ps. my son's name is muller. like when someone mulls something. not like bueller. it's my grandmother's maiden name. but he's going to do a lot of explaining, i'm sure :)

Posted by: kati at September 16, 2010 5:07 PM

So wait, Mia is pronounced "My-ah"? Oh wow. Add me to the group of readers who have been mentally mispronouncing her name as "Me-a" for the past five years.

It's like up is down and right is left. Huh. "I just want to know where the hell France is!"*

What was your question again? lol

*Were you a West Wing fan? Classic line! http://www.ubervu.com/conversations/www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dn8zBC2dvERM

Posted by: erin at September 16, 2010 8:48 PM

OMG, add me to the Shaken list. Is Mia really pronounced like 'Maya'?? Or is was she just being a kid and noting the similarity in their names?

Posted by: Caitlin at September 17, 2010 11:40 AM