October 28, 2010

Circle of Life

I've been reveling in my HD TV goodness lately and to take advantage of it I've been downloading HD episodes of Planet Earth. It's an awe-inspiring series to begin with but in high definition it's jaw-dropping. So much so that when Mia saw a clip of one, she was instantly hooked and wanted to watch more.

And then a giant crocodile dismembered a wildebeest.

Mia watched, eyes glued to the television with a look of profound concern on her face.

Mia: Did that crocodile eat that cow?
Me: Wildebeest. And yes.
Mia: That wasn't nice.
Mia: You understand that to live some things need to eat other things?
Me: Yes.
Mia: And out in wild animals hunt and kill and eat other animals.
Me: Yes. It still wasn't nice.

A couple of nights later, we watched another. Ten minutes in I could tell that Mia wasn't totally engaged. She looked wary.

Me: Do you like this one?
Mia: It's okay. But is something going to kill something else to eat it soon?
Me: I'm not sure. Why, did that bother you?
Mia: No.
Me: You want to see animals eat each other?
Mia: Yeah! I do!
Me: I'm sure something will get killed and eaten soon.
Mia: Really?
Me: Yeah, I mean, look at that big fish. That's just a meal waiting to happen.

And then the head of one large fish was bitten off by the head of a gigantic fish, Mia was happy and all was right with the world.

We're just going to skip a few steps and watch Pulp Fiction tonight.

(No, we won't.)

(Oh, and who knew wildebeest was spelled that way? I never would have guessed.)

Posted by Chris at October 28, 2010 7:51 AM
Comments

It's well known throughout the animal world that wildebeest are notorious for being bad spellers.

I hate the shows where they kill the baby animals. That I cannot handle.

Posted by: Debbie at October 28, 2010 8:04 AM

I love the word wildebeest. My dog Walter is pure muscle - I call him the Walterbeast. (Guess I should make that Walterbeest huh?)

Posted by: Heather at October 28, 2010 9:38 AM

Mia = win :)

Posted by: Hannah at October 28, 2010 10:44 AM

Huh.. the things you see... "wildebeest" - Dutch for "wild animal". Except it's spelled as two words these days. Except it's not actually a Dutch word anymore. And except that Wikipedia tells me that the Dutch actually call those things gnus. Go figure.

Posted by: Hannah at October 28, 2010 10:45 AM

Kids like the strangest things. My daughter, who is just a couple of months younger than Mia, demanded my attention during the World Series last night so she could show me her favorite commercial. It's the one where the man comes bursts into the room of the film editor and shoots him with a tranquilizer dart so he can steal the reels of film on the table.

Of all the commercials in the world...

Posted by: Go Ask Your Dad at October 28, 2010 11:17 AM

Dude. I was coming in here to read the weeklies. And it's not the weeklies. And then I was smacked with the realization that OH YEAH. It's Thursday. D'oh.

Planet Earth in HD is AWESOME. I have two boys - and they have ALWAYS been about the kill. When I was little, I buried my face in my dad's chest and cried. Now, I bury my face in my boyfriend's chest.

Posted by: Mindy at October 28, 2010 1:49 PM

Nice to know that Mia isn't sensitive about animals and nature. We love this kind of stuff here too. I could do without seeing most of the killing. My son is sensitive and still somewhat cringes when bad stuff happens and he is a teenager.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at October 28, 2010 2:06 PM

Gotta love that bloodlust in the child of a vegetarian ;-)

Posted by: Heather at October 29, 2010 1:36 AM

You're so right...Planet Earth is awesome. I was actually about to buy the DVDs the other day, and wasn't sure if i should splurge. Keep up the great writing.

Posted by: tommy riles at October 29, 2010 11:30 AM

I have never read such a wonderful article and I am coming back tomorrow to continue reading.

Posted by: Canada Goose Outlet at September 13, 2011 10:08 PM

Fifth: “the liquor met knowledge already thousand cup of few in the past, now the liquor meets thousand cups of knowledge to be few”.

Posted by: air force shoes at September 19, 2011 2:22 AM

it is difficult to achieve results in a so simply no longer like other people do, temporary correction , moncler jackets women grey ugg boots look slender and simple to elegant, neutral style for women in the workplace like a duck image.The same V- shoes grey ugg mouth, but it’s simple style spread open a bit more detail, moncler jackets women sale upper and tongue out of a perfect point of intersection of lines, buckles and heels are also very bright.After the lines seem holes lace, very lady Pink Ugg Boots, moncler jackets cheap happy and wild red jump out to attend the wedding of his best buddies fitting it!Lace and the integration of hollow pink ugg, sometimes sexy, sometimes handsome,moncler men jackets glossy appearance and Leather echo, now declares: “defended women back!”

Posted by: moncler jackets women at November 21, 2011 1:14 AM