October 1, 2010

The Weeklies #150

The Weekly Event. Solo parenting starts...now!

The Weekly Way George Lucas Is Trying To Take My Cash. Star Wars in 3-D? Really? Is that absolutely necessary?

The Weekly Way The World Is Trying To Take My Cash. I took some of my team out for drinks last night and covered the first two rounds. The tab? A lot. Why? $12 beers. Seriously. $12.

The Weekly Name Change. The US' latest export to Japan? Jersey Shore. (Are we still mad about WWII or something?) In order to sell the show, though, MTV has agreed to a name change. The Japanese version will be titled - I'm not making this up - Macaroni Rascals. Which sucks because I was going to name my next band that.

The Weekly Read. Harry Dolan's Bad Things Happen was everything a good mystery should be. It had fantastic, well-developed characters and a wonderful sense of suspense, while being wonderfully written. I became utterly absorbed on page one and the novel never got any less compelling. This was a fun one to read and had plenty of twists and turns to keep even the most seasoned reader guessing.

The Weekly Music. Spock's Beard is one of my all-time favorite bands. They're probably the greatest working progressive rock band and their latest, simply titled X, is no exception. Once led by the now-solo Neal Morse (probably one of the five most talented rock musicians in the world), the band has been fronted by drummer Nick D'Virgilio in a very Genesis-like personnel move. And this is their strongest album since this personnel shift, and perhaps one of their best overall. While it maintains its complexity, this is an immediately accessible album and could be a good starting point for you who aren't yet convinced about the wonder of prog rock.

The Weekly Awkward Awesomeness. Did you know there was a Jurassic Park musical? Well, okay, there's not, not officially anyway. But a few people got together and staged one in their backyard with a couple hundred onlookers. You can find all the parts and pieces here. It could be the most awesomely bad thing on the internet ever. (I urge you to watch at least part one as a whole but if you're pressed for time, skip to about minute 9.)

The Weekly Schadenfreude. I don't watch Dancing With The Stars but I do read about it. I took a disproportionate amount of pleasure when I read that Michael Bolton stunk up the joint and was, in return, savaged by the judges. Bolton is demanding an apology. What's he going to do if he doesn't get it? Ballad the judges to death? Also from the land of reality TV, there was a little bit of an issue on Australia's Next Top Model. Host Sarah Murdoch gave the title to the wrong contestant on live TV.

The Weekly Question. This week Blockbuster filed for bankruptcy. What's the next business or industry that you think will be impacted by technology?

Posted by Chris at October 1, 2010 6:31 AM
Comments

Yes, Starwars 3D is simply after our $$ and $12 beers are completely WRONG.

NPR discussed the Blockbuster case and said that technology has not driven it out yet, that type of format still has about 10 years of life (RedBox is doing great so people don't mind going and picking up their movies) but it was poor management.

The next technology? I wish check writing would be outlawed. This week I have had to stand behind TWO (2) super old ladies who waited for the total and then slowly rummaged through their tote big enough to carry a small child for their checkbook. Then she had to go back in for a pen. The one even made a comment, "I'm probably the only person who is still writing checks" to which I replied, "No, actually your not." I had met her evil twin the day before.

Posted by: Debbie at October 1, 2010 7:24 AM

$12 beers are a crime! I love a good beer but I don't know if I could bring myself to pay $12 each. I can't imagine how much a mixed drink cost.

Good luck solo parenting!

Posted by: Jules at October 1, 2010 8:19 AM

Regarding the Blockbuster thing, about 15 years ago ( has it been that long ) I was in college and looking to do a website for a local video store that was branching out into laundry and beer businesses. The owner was a really cool guy, and when I asked him if he would open another video store, he said "No way, it's a doomed industry. Everything is going to be streaming over cable and the web." So folks in the industry knew then; I think the wildcard was the RedBox, which will probably have longevity but even then how long will it last?

And from what I hear, the whole service industry centered around meter reading is on borrowed time; great paying job that the industry wants to eliminate with technology attached to the meter itself.

Have a ball being single Dad this weekend. I'm actually doing the same thing ( Mom and oldest are at camp for the weekend ) so know you are not alone!

Posted by: metawizard at October 1, 2010 9:18 AM

Anyone who is still selling long distance on some sort of plan. Vonage comes to mind but I don't know if they handle local.

Posted by: Brad at October 1, 2010 10:24 AM

$12 beers are a crime. Star Wars in 3-D, however is not a crime and I will definitely go see it!! But that's just because I'm a Star Wars nerd. ;)

Posted by: Michelle at October 1, 2010 11:12 AM

re: tabs. I heard on NPR yesterday that a Dallas Cowboy rookie who refused his hazing had to pick up the tab at a steakhouse for 20 players. The bill? $57,000.

Posted by: kalisa at October 1, 2010 11:24 AM

Where in the world were you drinking that the beers cost $12 each? Some fancy hotel bar?

Posted by: Zandria at October 1, 2010 3:19 PM

I was sure the weekly Schadenfreude was going to be about the owner of Segway getting killed because he ran one off a cliff.

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at October 1, 2010 4:07 PM

I think landlines may be on the way out. A lot of people are giving up their landlines and using cellphones exclusively. We only use the cellphone or Skype at home actually.

Posted by: Rengirl at October 1, 2010 6:27 PM

I cannot get over how much drinks cosat here in the Capital region. A glass of wine is easily $9. $12 beer is crazy talk. This is why I drink at home. I can get a whole bottle of good wine for under $10.

Posted by: Annie at October 1, 2010 9:37 PM

$12.00 beers is unreal. I want to know what chain, hotel or establishment to avoid. I realize the DC area is expensive, but this is just nutty.

My take is phone companies and cable. They are so behind in the times. I balked at the cost of getting Direct TV, but it was so worth it. Don't miss cable at all.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at October 1, 2010 10:53 PM

Chris, I hate you for sending me to watch that awful, and I do mean AWFUL, musical. I even skipped ahead to where you said, it might have been funny if not for the pure awfulness of it.

Thank you for ruining my already meaningless life with that.

Oh alright, I forgive you.

Posted by: Jeff A at October 2, 2010 12:40 AM

I'm watching Dancing With the Stars this season (hey! Jennifer Grey! And also, the Russian guy is hot. Don't judge me!), and I saw the Michael Bolton performance you mentioned. The moment his pro dance partner said "we're dancing to 'Hound Dog' so I think I'm going to have a dog house and you crawl out of it to start the dance"... yeah, I knew it wasn't going to end well. So of course I didn't change the channel. Twisted, I know. But it's Michael Bolton being humiliated. That's just good TV. And when the judge insulted him and gave him a 3? Fun!

I read one review that basically said "hey, it could have been worse - at least they didn't call him a no-talent ass clown."

Posted by: erin at October 2, 2010 1:40 AM

I had got a dream to make my own business, but I didn't earn enough amount of cash to do that. Thank heaven my close colleague said to utilize the loan. Thus I received the secured loan and realized my old dream.

Posted by: Zimmerman25LINDA at June 29, 2011 1:44 PM