October 22, 2010

The Weeklies #153

The Weekly Medical Crisis. Owen and his ER visit. Two days later and he seems to be rebounding just fine. Thanks for your concern, everyone.

The Weekly Political Party I Could Get Behind. Even if you're paying attention to the many political races going on in advance of election day, you still might not be aware of the newest political party. In the New York gubernatorial debate, candidate Jimmy McMillan made an appearance representing the The Rent Is Too Damn High Party.

The Weekly Cool Website. Show World is a pretty cool little site that allows you to visually compare almanac-like figures. Okay, that description sucked. Just check it out for yourself.

The Weekly Read. (Part three of my quest to read scary books throughout October) Bentley Little writes two kinds of books - creepy social satire and straight-up horror. And I've read almost everything he's written and, for the most part enjoyed them. Oddly, The Disappearance falls into neither of those categories. It is, instead, more of a thriller that focuses on the disappearance of a girl and the cult behind that disappearance. I was a little let down when I realized how straight Little was going to play this one. But then I found myself enjoying the book and realizing quickly that this is some of his strongest writing in years. Maybe not the strongest book or interesting ideas, but decently written and compelling.

The Weekly Two Minutes and Seven Seconds You're Not Going To Get Back. You've seen the Potter Puppet Pals, right? You should but fair warning - their little song will get stuck in your head for days.

The Weekly Celebrity Deaths. Two TV parents have died. Happy Days' Mr. C - Tom Bosley - and the iconic sit-com mom herself, Leave it to Beaver's Barbara Billingsly.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Christine O'Donnell is an idiot unqualified to hold up her own pants much less political office. Case in point - in a televised debate with her democratic opponent earlier this week, she got into a heated debate over the subject of teaching creationism in public schools. What seemed like a fundamental lack of understanding in the first amendment was clarified when she asked "Where in the Constitution is separation of church and state?" The room literally burst into laughter and so did she, not understanding that the crowd was not laughing with her but at her. It gets worse. When her opponent - Chris Coons - returned to the subject later in the evening O'Donnell had to be told four times that the first amendment addressed separation of church and state.

The Weekly Question. What are you dressing up as for Halloween this year? What's your best costume ever?

Posted by Chris at October 22, 2010 7:39 AM
Comments

I am probably going to be nothing. Sad, I know. But, my best costume ever was when I was Jem, and convinced all my friends to be the holograms. My boyfriend even wore a purple wig to be Rio. Best halloween ever!

Glad Owen is doing better now!

Posted by: caleal at October 22, 2010 9:48 AM

I did see The Rent's too High guy - he of the strange mustaches. He made as much sense as some of the loons running this year.

Christine O'Donnell's particular group of loons has been saying for years that separation of church and state is not in the 1st Amendment and that we wooly headed liberals misinterpret it. They rely on the words, not the intent. She was probably parroting that talking point. Of course they'd also like to repeal the 14th, 16th, and 17th Amendment while they're at it. They also agree with the Supreme Court that a corporation is a person so they'll keep that part of the 14th. Be very afraid.

Don't forget to vote.

Posted by: Ann Adams at October 22, 2010 10:19 AM

I'm not dressing up and haven't for years. Halloween just isn't my holiday.

Posted by: Maribeth at October 22, 2010 10:20 AM

Best costume ever? My Zombie Slave Leia is hard to beat. :) But since I've been wearing that for the past 3 years with Thrill the World, she's retired now...except for a Star Wars party I'm going to next Friday. LOL

I'm going to be a Nerd Herder this year. (If you watch Chuck, you know what I mean.)

Posted by: oakley at October 22, 2010 11:18 AM

Darn you Chris!! Snipe, Snipe, Severus Snipe, Dumbledore, Snipe Snipe Severus Snipe, Ron, Ron Weasley....GRRRRRRR

Posted by: Trish at October 22, 2010 11:22 AM

This year the husband and I are going to be The Lone Ranger and Tonto. (I'll be Tonto). Though I've noticed anyone under the age of 30 I mention this too, they have no idea what I'm talking about. We even got actual Lone Ranger toy guns/holster off of eBay. Last year's costume was Woody and Jessie and those were probably my favorite since I made them without sewing (with the exception of 4 stiches since I didn't have enough confidence in hot glue). The year before that was Green Lantern costumes which I'm thinking we'll wear again next year since the movie will be out next summer. We're kinda passionate about our Halloween costumes over here.

Posted by: Jody at October 22, 2010 11:22 AM

I'm going as Sarah Palin. I wanted to 2 years ago, but was sick, and then feared it would never be relevant again. BUT. The freak show continues! WHOOP! So - yes - old red power suit, a sparkly American Flag pin, my glasses, my hair up, and I bear a striking resemblance to her. I'm contemplating wearing a poofy vest and carrying a toy shotgun to complete the outfit . . . we shall see. Best costume ever was the year my mom, who was taking theatrical makeup that year and totally ROCKED it, did my makeup and I was a dead prom queen. Three times, I caused little kids to scream their heads off.

Christine O'Donnell is so entertaining - it's like watching standup. Except she's so clueless, it's even better. COME ON, November 2nd! I want this election to be OVER.

Posted by: Mindy at October 22, 2010 11:37 AM

Geez, I think I need to be Christine O'Donnell for Hallowe'en!

Posted by: blepharisma at October 22, 2010 1:58 PM

My friend just sent me that ShowWorld link. I'm home after surgery this week, so I'm guessing that's going to be my timewaster for a while.

Posted by: Heather at October 22, 2010 2:03 PM

I'm not dressing up; it's too hard to wrangle kids in a costume. Last year I was a generic princess and Dash was a dragon. My best costume was probably my senior year of high school when my Mom made me a Winnie the Pooh costume from yellow flannel and a red t-shirt. This year my daughter is a witch and Dash is going to be Buzz Lightyear. We're headed for Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland next Friday.

Posted by: Brooke at October 22, 2010 2:55 PM

I'm not sure I'm wearing a costume this year. I want the Chewbacca costume from yandy.com, but that's really for the bedroom. :)

My favorite costume of all time was Princess Leia who just killed a Stormtrooper with her bare hands. I put red nail polish all over my hands and had extremely crazy make-up on my face.

Posted by: Poppy at October 22, 2010 3:19 PM

I don't get to dress up this year because I will be at some "swanky" company awards banquet with my husband. :-(

calea's post above about being Jem one year is AWESOME! I had an obsession with her when I was younger.

My best costume was probably the year I was Oscar the Grouch. There is just something about walking around in a trash can that I enjoyed, I guess! j/k

Posted by: Winna at October 22, 2010 5:09 PM

Glad Owen is better. What was wrong?

I'm not dressing up. Best Costume Ever, just don't have one. Never dressed up as an adult. Not into Halloween.

I saw Jimmy. Thought he was funny and made a few good points.

Christine is just sad to read about. It is always interesting to read what some people believe in.

I feel it has never been more important to make a choice and vote.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at October 22, 2010 5:44 PM

I *love* Harry Potter Puppet Pals. It just appeals to a very warped side of me. "It's a pipe bomb!" ;-) And I don't think I'm dressing up, or even necessarily handing out candy, though not because I don't want to but because our driveway is half a mile long and I don't think many kids would bother.

Posted by: Heather at October 23, 2010 2:03 AM

Best costume ever: Eve. Had snakes draped around my arms, fig leaves strategically placed on my filmy gown and an apple in my pocket. Told fortunes all night. Ah, to be in college again!!!! i've always wanted to go as Jackie Kennedy too with pink silk dress and pillbox hat. Someday....this year I'll be hauling a 1 and 4 year old trick or treating. Costumes for them, not me. Wah.

Posted by: rebecca at October 23, 2010 11:13 PM

Potter Puppet Pals = hilarity!

Halloween is my favorite!! Not sure what I'm going to be this year but my best costume is a toss up between a hooker (I was 17 and I froze my ass off!) and a Fang-banger (True Blood FTW) lol

Posted by: Kris at October 25, 2010 9:45 AM

I have a flight suit and will be a Wingwoman. I'll send you a pic, it's pretty funny if I do say so myself...

Tell your kids to stop needing the ER! Clooney's not nearly cool enough.

Posted by: alektra at October 25, 2010 10:53 AM