November 16, 2010

Nerves of...Paper

There are many things in life I don't like to do - ironing, taking out the trash, paying taxes, going to the dentist - but I do them because I have to. I'm sure you're the same way. It's a conversation I have with Mia a lot. We can't pick and choose our every actions based on whether we enjoy something or want to do something. Life just doesn't work that way.

There are two things that I particularly do not enjoy because I have zero confidence in myself to do them well despite evidence of repeated success - standing up and talking in front of people and taking tests. I loathe both and make myself miserable in anticipation of either.

And this afternoon I have to go speak. In front of people. To win business. Am scrrrrd. (And apparently capable of only writing short sentences.)

Last night I had to explain all of this to Mia.

Mia: Why do you have to rehearse?
Me: So I know what to say by the time I have to go in and speak.
Mia: What do you have to say?
Me: Well, my company is basically trying to get a job with another company. I have to tell them why they should pick us.
Mia: You should just tell them that you are responsible. That you're not unresponsible.
Me: I could try that.
Mia: Are you nervous?
Me: I'll tell you the truth. Yes.
Mia: Tell them that your daughter is confident that you can do it.
Me: I'll definitely do that. Better yet, why don't you just come with me and tell them yourself?

Wish me luck. That's not a figurative request. Seriously, I need it.

What do you hate to do most that you still have to do anyway?

Posted by Chris at November 16, 2010 7:23 AM
Comments

I hate doing laundry. When I signed up for this gig, no one told me I'd be washing other people dirty underwear for the rest of my life.

Good luck today. You'll do great. Just pretend that your presenting to your readers. Surely, you wouldn't be afraid to speak in front of us.

Posted by: Nila at November 16, 2010 7:44 AM

I hate driving someplace far away by myself. I also hate being far away from my husband and son - so that might explain the whole driving someplace fear. Hmmmm.

Anyway, I used to fear talking in front of people. I managed to complete a 15 minute speech (time the night before) in 8 minutes for my public speaking final many years ago. I managed to slow it down over the years. It wasn't until I had a really great boss who taught me how to be confident.

Good luck - take a deep breath - you'll do great!

Posted by: NancyJ at November 16, 2010 7:54 AM

I think you should take Mia with you. How could they say no to that face? Best of luck today. Don't forget to breathe.

I hate cleaning the bathrooms. But I hate dirty bathrooms more. So.

Posted by: Annie at November 16, 2010 8:09 AM

Good luck, Chris! And if she wasn't busy in school, I'd totally say take Mia to tell them how "not unresponsible" you are - she'd land them just by showing up. You'll do great - have fun with it! Teh Internets are all thinking successful thoughts for you!

Posted by: Karen at November 16, 2010 8:14 AM

Oh let's see, laundry, dishes, filing, and washing the toilets. Oh yes, speaking in public and singing in public.

Posted by: Maribeth at November 16, 2010 9:02 AM

Good luck! I can't stand public speaking -- makes me literally ill -- but fortunately I've been able to avoid it since I got out of school.

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 16, 2010 9:12 AM

My job is to win new business for the company. Your 1 day exception is my life. Although you probably can't take Mia with you, and desktop background picture of your cute daughter doing something adorable is a guaranteed conversation starter.

Not that I would resort to pictures of my daughter on her horse. Nope not me. I would never do that.

Seriously, cute kid on a horse is about as surefire a conversation starter as you will ever find.

Posted by: COD at November 16, 2010 9:18 AM

I love Mia's simplicity! :o)

I don't like doing the laundry, taking out the trash, working out or cooking, but I can't run around in dirty clothes, soiled from piles of trash in my house, like Two Ton Tessie who lives off of Ding Dongs.

Posted by: Emily at November 16, 2010 9:21 AM

Sorry, I can't empathize with the fear/dread of public speaking...I teach the class! ;-) And, I chose a profession, college professor, that makes me do it all the time.

I hate vacuuming, but I have a dog that sheds year-round.

Posted by: Krush at November 16, 2010 9:30 AM

I used to hate speaking in public until I took voice lessons. Had to sing in master classes before actual voice majors, and the fear of THAT cured my fear of public speaking right up, speech being so much easier by comparison.

These days, I deeply hate long car rides. Especially in your neck of the woods -- good lord, DC driving is nuts. I was in a high-speed collision in June: totally not my fault, the other guy was asleep at the wheel, literally. Since then, I've totally been white-knuckling it out on the highways. Ugh. Maybe I need to take up race car driving to cure me of this anxiety.

Posted by: Laura Gato at November 16, 2010 9:44 AM

I totally understand the fear of speaking. Can I give you my two greatest hints?

1) No or very limited caffeine. Seriously that + adrenaline = disaster.

2) Think about how little you pay attention when someone else is speaking. Usually you are busy thinking about other stuff, right? That's how little attention they are paying to you.

Posted by: Cherie Beyond at November 16, 2010 9:48 AM

LUCK! You are gonna do great!

Posted by: Kris H. at November 16, 2010 10:13 AM

I think you should take Mia with you! But seriously, good luck.

And I hate peeling carrots. Thank god for the invention of baby ones.

Posted by: Heather at November 16, 2010 10:17 AM

You'll be fine, Chris. Sending good white light out to The District.

And I hate putting laundry away. I can sort it, wash it, dry it and fold it but I cannot put it away. It's like I've touched it one too many times.

Posted by: k8 at November 16, 2010 10:32 AM

Hands down, doing laundry. I refuse to unload pockets and thus far, I have washed the phone twice (dried out in rice works, so does phone insurance), the IPOD (no help for that one), lots of Jolly Ranchers, erasers and orthodontic rubber bands. All money of course goes to the laundress.

Work wise, it was starting IV's. Someone needs to invent something that is less complicated for the nurse and more comfortable for the patient.

greenie

Posted by: greenie at November 16, 2010 10:42 AM

I hate public speaking too -- and ironing, now that you mention it -- but I'm sure you'll do great. Good luck!

Posted by: hillary at November 16, 2010 11:02 AM

Good luck.

Mine is bathrooms and laundry too. Never ends. Having several bathrooms, I'm cleaning at least one a week.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at November 16, 2010 11:27 AM

Hanging curtains.

Good luck.

Posted by: Brad at November 16, 2010 11:59 AM

Public speaking and the dentist. Avoid public speaking like the PLAGUE even though when I know what I'm talking about, I'm decent at it.

Go to the dentist because I'm an adult and not "unresponsible" (<--LOVE THAT!)

Good luck today! I KNOW you'll deliver a kick-ass presentation and get the job!

Posted by: zanie at November 16, 2010 1:05 PM

Well you're probably about done, by now, but I shall wish you luck anyhow! I hate school work :P

Posted by: Heather at November 16, 2010 1:18 PM

I also hate talking in front of people. Everytime I do it though, the next time isn't quite as bad. I never can tell how it goes either, it's like there is a giant cloud that decends over my face everytime, so I can't see reactions, or smell them. But people tell me it goes well, but they are my friends.
I also hate using peoples names. And having them use mine. It's wierd, I know. Haven't figured out how to take the edge off that one yet.

Posted by: Andrea at November 16, 2010 1:29 PM

I'll trade ya ... I have to sit through "courtroom testimony" training this afternoon, which apparantly includes being drilled in a mock testimony. *shudders*

Posted by: Christina at November 16, 2010 1:56 PM

she has an amazing vocabulary.

Posted by: kalisa at November 16, 2010 2:04 PM

How sweet is Mia? Seriously. HOW SWEET IS THIS KID?

Good luck! Go get 'em, Tiger!

Posted by: Sam at November 16, 2010 2:45 PM

It's a toss-up, clean house or grade papers.

Posted by: K at November 16, 2010 2:58 PM

I feel for you. Facing your biggest fears always sucks big sweaty hairy balls.

As someone who loves public speaking, persuasive speaking, educational and sales presentations AND who seems to have had a good amount of success at them as well. I encourage you to think about admitting your nerves about speaking to your group and then confide in them that everything will be OK though because your 5 year old daughter is confident that you can do it. Allowing yourself to connect to the group and just be human is always a good move.

Good luck Chris. I'm with Mia on this one - I have complete confidence in you!

Posted by: Sassy Pants at November 16, 2010 3:11 PM

Your daughter can correctly use the word confident? Holy smokes. That fact alone should give you confidence.

I hope it went well.

Posted by: Heather at November 16, 2010 6:38 PM

I hope it went really well for you!

Something that I dislike that I still have to do is work for other people. I like to make my own decisions and be in control of my own work environment and I don't get to do that.

Posted by: Jen R. (emeraldsunshine.org) at November 16, 2010 7:28 PM

I hope all went well. I like Mia's words of encouragement. She should be a motivational speaker. I just know you wowed them as you do us everyday.

Posted by: Trish V at November 16, 2010 8:49 PM

i have the "sometimes we just have no choice" conversation a billion times a day. like every time we get in the car....

but that mia is just amazing :)

Posted by: kati at November 17, 2010 12:09 AM

Good luck for your meeting! I am sure everything will go well.

The thing I have to do but that I really, really hate? Driving. Anywhere, with or without passengers, regardless of the vehicle. I hate it - I find it stressful and scary and it makes me all nervous and ill just thinking about getting behind the wheel of a car. I have nightmares about it (seriously). I am the odd one out in my family - they all love to drive (even going on road trips for the shere pleasure of driving) & my uncle even went into tourism and specifically opted to drive coaches. I got my drivers because I had to but it was 4 years before I got behind the wheel again (because hubby forced me to).

Posted by: Delia at November 17, 2010 12:16 AM

That is the cutest thing ever Chris!

Posted by: MazingAmy at November 17, 2010 11:12 PM