November 1, 2010

Smooky Night

"It was a smooky, smooky night," so said Owen. Me, well, I just thought it was exhausting. The whole weekend was for that matter. So much so that I'm still recovering. So this morning, you get a couple of unsatisfactory lines of text, an adorable picture and a slightly disgruntled blogger (disgruntled because it's morning and I'm awake and working).
halloween2010.jpg
This year, Mia broke her Arial streak and, out of nowhere, decided to go as Cleopatra. Owen unpredictably decided against Buzz Lightyear and went, instead, as the mannaseel (his description) or man of steel (ours). A wonderfully good time was had by all. Owen and I stuck together. He narrated the whole evening as it unfolded with a thirty-second delay. It was hilarious. And sure, he got freaked out by the scary boys wearing masks but he seemed to have gotten over it pretty quickly. After all, it's not like they were carrying cryptonite.

Another Halloween has been and gone, this one more enjoyable than any other before it. My kids are both in the zone. They get it. And they love it. And the only thing more fun that experiencing that with your kids - through your kids - is experiencing it yourself. And people would probably look at me funny if I threw Owen's Superman costume on and traipsed through the neighborhood. That or call the cops.

How were your Halloweens?

Posted by Chris at November 1, 2010 7:46 AM
Comments

Halloween was...different this year. We were in the zone for eleven years, which I think actually means we overstayed our welcome. This was the first year that our daughter decided she was too old. So the first year of no costume and no trick-or-treating. And we missed it. Those early years are the best, as that adorable photo shows.

And because I'm a spelling freak, I have to point out AriEl...Kryptonite. Just saying.

Posted by: TeresaLynn at November 1, 2010 8:34 AM

Cute picture!

We had our first family theme. The boy and I were Ghostbusters and the girls were ghosts. It was cute, and fun. Great Halloween.

Posted by: Brad at November 1, 2010 9:14 AM

Ours was so quiet. Not even one trick or treater!
By the way, the kids, as always, are just adorable!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 1, 2010 10:32 AM

Ours was quiet - we had about 20 trick or treaters. It's always fun when they are kids from my school and don't know it's my house. "Hey, you look familiar" was my favorite from a 1st grader.

My son handed out candy at his house this year. Handing out candy was his favorite part of the day. He'd stop TorT'ing early so he could sit on the front steps and wait for kids to come by so he could give them candy.

Posted by: NancyJ at November 1, 2010 10:58 AM

Very cute photo! Last year we had a girl who was 7 or 8, after getting her candy say to me (with a very serious look on her face) "Ohh, you have the "good" candy, can I come live with you?" LOL, it was hilarious! Priorities ya know!

Posted by: LaineyDid at November 1, 2010 11:00 AM

I'm exhausted too. I took Friday off work and my Mom and I took 2-year-old Dash down to Disneyland. In the evening, my husband and big kids joined us and we attended Mickey's Halloween Party, an after-hours event at Disneyland that includes very short lines and trick-or-treating. Dash went back to the hotel with Mom around 8:30 and the rest of us hung on until 11:30. Next day we did the DL thing again until about 6, when we headed home. Sunday was all shopping at the outlets and prepping to have guests for pizza and trick-or-treating. Had our old friends and our new neighbors and also a great time. Weather was cold and clear, just the way Halloween ought to be. Dash was Buzz Lightyear, T was a witch, C was a go-go girl, and D was a skeleton. New neighbors are v. cool and she likes Bon Jovi. I think I'm in love.

Posted by: at November 1, 2010 12:18 PM

Your children are, as always, absurdly cute. And kryptonite is with a K, Chris. Sheesh. :P
(Jor El's weakness is spelling I guess. Mwahaha. Mwahahahaha.)

(I need more sleep.)

Posted by: Heather at November 1, 2010 2:03 PM

I was rather disappointed in my Halloween…while dressing up my son for his first was fun and taking him to 2 houses was fun, the fact that we got only 3 trick-or-treaters was LAME. Where have all the kids gone?

Posted by: Beth at November 1, 2010 4:06 PM

Halloween ROCKED, and I am just now emerging from my sugar (and wine) coma.

To all of you who had no torter's - maybe they came to my house? We had over 200!

Posted by: Mindy at November 1, 2010 7:40 PM

CUTE. i love the "smooky smooky" part :)

here are my guys before trick or treating last night:

Posted by: kati at November 1, 2010 11:31 PM